Will Halflife 2 ever feel outdated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -

Are Valve titles like Halflife 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal what we, the mass would classify as "timeless" games?

After going back every couple of months and playing Halflife 2, it always seems to feel fresh and just "better" than other games. Do you feel this sometimes? Inside.

#2 Posted by DonnaTroy (232 posts) -

guhhh. half life 2 felt outdated on release day. never understood the praise for that game.

#3 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42524 posts) -

The end sequence of Half-Life 2 with the modified gravity gun still brings out the young-side in me. So fun.

#4 Edited by Ballroompirate (21589 posts) -

To put it simple

No

#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3218 posts) -

Doubt it. Played through the game and the episodes for the first time this year, and it played amazing and was a blast.

#6 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Depends what you find outdated in it that it would hinder your enjoyment. Graphics, the lack of iron sight, etc. As for controls, on PC at least, they'll always be ageless and easy to get into as far as the mouse & keyboard stay relevant. Even after, there will be mods to suit any other future control scheme. As for preference, i like HL1 far more. Better gunplay and much better AI.

... But honestly, i just play what i want from Space Invaders to Crysis, whether i enjoy the game or not is my business. I don't trouble my self with bullshit semantics such as this that are completely meaningless outside the internet boards. But it is fun to discuss such stuff.

#7 Edited by silversix_ (13541 posts) -

at the none existent pace shooters are evolving,,,,,,,,,,,,, never...

#8 Posted by Stringerboy (6887 posts) -

There a LOT of people who feel that it's dated, and that's perfectly fine.

Personally, I never felt like it. It's still a great game to go back and play when there's nothing else worth playing. It just has that pacing and atmosphere.

#9 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

It already does look and feel outdated.

#10 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

My friend, I feel the same way about Uncharted and Tlou. What do you think TC?

#11 Edited by Seabas989 (9942 posts) -

It already is but it's still enjoyable.

#12 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

What does that have to with Half-Life 2?

#13 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

portal became a bore since you mentioned it,

I remember thinking "wow it is so thought out and open"

but upon doing the challenges it became apparent the was only one true way of doing things,

I felt cheated, so much so I haven't bothered to play portal 2.....

#14 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -
#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23362 posts) -

already is

#16 Posted by blangenakker (2055 posts) -

Depends who's playing. It doesn't feel outdated to me because I can still have a lot of fun with it

#17 Posted by padaporra (3359 posts) -

No. Never.

#18 Edited by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

Nope.

Currently playing the original Portal right now and it's still amazing. Valve's humour in the game is great. =P

#19 Edited by foxhound_fox (86826 posts) -

The gunplay is outdated and bad. The vehicle sections were always monotonous. The graphics are ancient.

The narrative style, characters and atmosphere, things that usually never get outdated in any game, will remain.

#20 Posted by Renegade_Fury (16943 posts) -

It felt outdated years ago.

#21 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -
#22 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine: Comparing them to hl2. I don't think they can ever feel outdated. Hl2, uncharted and tlou surr are 3 special games. What do you think tc?

#23 Edited by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

Outdated?

#24 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5450 posts) -

It will never feel out-dated to me... it was so ahead of its time. Still the best game ever made IMO.

#25 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4683 posts) -

Nah, it still holds up

#26 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9258 posts) -

#27 Posted by Muffin2020 (527 posts) -

Outdated ? No.

But they feel a bit stale now.

#28 Posted by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

it feels very outdated, when it came out i thought Riddick blew it out of the water.

#29 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Big fan of TF2 and Portal but HL2 is terrible now and does not hold up well at all. The gunplay is terrible (At least til the Gravity Gun comes into play).

And Left 4 Dead would just be part of a better games multiplayer at this point.

So yes, Some Valve games grow tired and stale.

#30 Edited by osirisx3 (1689 posts) -

i am a pc gamer but this game series is one of the most over rated games of all time.

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

i am a pc gamer but this game series is one of the most over rated games of all time.

It was nice of you to expand upon that.

#32 Edited by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

It was outdated about a year later when FEAR came out.

Better graphics, gunplay, sound design, and infinitely better AI.

#33 Edited by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -

@senses_fail_06 said:

It was outdated about a year later when FEAR came out.

Better graphics, gunplay, sound design, and infinitely better AI.

My friend, I agree (to this day) Fear has the best gunplay in any FPS. The sound design and graphics look horrible in comparison.

My chumling, what one must remember, aside from looking fantastic, Halflife 2 also ran fantastic. Fear, at the time, ran like shit in comparison. The gunplay was also what saved, not enhanced by the gunplay as without it, the gameplay would have probably got redundant within 40 minutes.

#34 Posted by lazerface216 (7449 posts) -

is SMB3 outdated? is a link to the past outdated? is RE2 outdated? HELL NO! these are timeless classics, just like HL2.

#35 Edited by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -

But Resident Evil 2 is outdated.

#36 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: But so is half life. I feel 10 years from now Uncharted and tlou will still be remembered and played by many.

#37 Posted by bloodlust_101 (2675 posts) -

I used Source engine to demonstrate some designs my team made in Architecture class. This was also the first time I truly played Half Life 2. Upon playing the game I thought the gunplay was dated, character movement/abilities were dated, the graphics dated, the AI dated. This was 3-4 years ago.

The original FEAR was something I saw as really special and have recommended to others a few years ago. That was a game truly ahead of it's time.

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -
#39 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2201 posts) -

Never. Valve games aren't bound to the limit of time.

#40 Edited by trugs26 (5110 posts) -

No. Half-Life 1 (no mods) doesn't feel outdated. I played it for the first time this year, it's still amazing.

#41 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -
#42 Edited by hoola (6422 posts) -

HL2 will never feel outdated. In fact, I just played some last night and it felt better than any other FPS i've played since the last time I played HL2. I'm going to go play it right now to celebrate the new year.

#43 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15918 posts) -

The vehicles were always garbage and no fun to drive in HL2.

#44 Edited by worknow222 (1398 posts) -

Half life 2 outdated, yes I say it is, eh Ai even for it's time boring gunplay, until the gravity gun atleast, and the annoying vehicle controls, now Half life outdated no that's a masterpiece

#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -
#46 Edited by sukraj (21604 posts) -

Its outdated but it still plays well.

#47 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

But Resident Evil 2 is outdated.

much like HL2's gunplay, but the premise and how it sets about its genre is timeless and essentially a blueprint for what followed much in the vein i think halo 1 and 2 are timeless and set a benchmark for console fps's and gran turismo 2 as well because it does a lot of things right and a lot of racing series including forza have borrowed heavily from the career and various other mechanics whilst a lot of its parts might be outdated its still a stellar game nearly 13 years on.

#48 Edited by uninspiredcup (6780 posts) -
@razgriz_101 said:

much like HL2's gunplay,

Eh. Nothings wrong with Halflife 2's gunplay. Iron sights are used to compensate for control pads lack of aim. Being a pc specific built game, it doesn't need iron sights.

My friends, having replayed the vehicle sections, it's fair to say it was ahead of it's time. Since Farcry 3 ripped if off. Only without an exciting helicopter chase, Actually, Farcry 3 does have chase sequences, they are highly scripted, you don't actually control the vehicle like Halflife 2 and the person you are with is a cunt.

#49 Posted by Heirren (15963 posts) -

@donnatroy:

Same here. The game started feeling dated after the gravity gun got boring, which was about 5 minutes after using it.

#50 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

HL2 is a timeless masterpiece. Best FPS campaign of all time in my book.