Will GTA V get a PC port?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by starjet905 (1961 posts) -

What are the odds? I mean seeing as Red Dead Redemption never made it to PC, do you guys think GTA V will? I know that L.A.Noire is coming, but that's not a game originally developed by Rockstar, so that might not mean anything. And considering that it didn't sell well, Rockstar could be trying to bring in a bit more cash from it. But GTA V will obviously sell like hot cakes, so that factor won't pop up.

#2 Posted by ganon92 (968 posts) -

Max Payne 3 is coming to PC simultaneously with the console versions, so there's a chance GTA V will also. If not, it's pretty certain that GTA V will eventually come to the PC; there is money to be made.

#3 Posted by garrett_daniels (610 posts) -

Every other main GTA game has been on the PC so I don't see why not. I'd expect it will be a few months after the console versions as usual though.

#4 Posted by 999realthings (2674 posts) -

GTA V will get a PC port, question is when.

#5 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Yes, however i could see the porting process being outsourced considering how valuable Rockstar North's time is.
#6 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -
Yes, however i could see the porting process being outsourced considering how valuable Rockstar North's time is.markop2003
I heard they outsourced the job for the GTA IV PC port... ...To a monkey.
#7 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7514 posts) -

I would be surprised if it didn't.

Although I may just get it for the PS3 anyway, considering how awful the GTAIV port was.

#8 Posted by Mystic-G (6460 posts) -

999realthings
This pretty much is the reality of things. All GTA games are on PC, GTA5 will be no different. The only question is if it'll be simultaneous release or delayed.
#9 Posted by LordRork (2690 posts) -

Typically, the PC version of GTA games has been up to a year after its console debut. So don't get your hopes up over seeing it any time soon...

#10 Posted by Litchie (16627 posts) -
If it's like the port of GTA IV, I hope not.
#11 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4079 posts) -
I'm sure it will and chances are it will probably be a bad port with horrible optimisation and will demand a i7 2600k and GTX 580 3GB to run smoothly. I honestly don't know after GTA4 and the refusal to port Red Dead Redemption to PC... chances are their engine is too difficult and time consuming to port to PC and with poor sales on PC chances are its may not be worth while for them.
#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13203 posts) -

As long as they do a better job than GTAIV i'll be happy.

#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
If it plays as crappy as GTA4 did on PC, then they can keep it.
#14 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

it better get a day 1 PC release!!

#15 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

Yes, however i could see the porting process being outsourced considering how valuable Rockstar North's time is.markop2003

Last PC port was thrown to Rockstar Toronto im sure.

Besides im rooting for North as you do they are the local dev's for me and i get my nightbus home from nights out just outside their offices in Edinburgh xD.

#16 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
They will probably do what they did with the GTA IV port, copy and paste the console files onto a DVD, put it into a PC and hope it runs. Worst port ever.
#17 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
No Red Dead, but then they port La Noire... strange, but I think it will be ported... hopefully it's a good port this time.
#18 Posted by AdrianWerner (28193 posts) -

No Red Dead, but then they port La Noire... strange, but I think it will be ported... hopefully it's a good port this time.SaltyMeatballs
LA Noire does make more sense on PC than Red Dead did though.

#19 Posted by Planeforger (16187 posts) -

No Red Dead, but then they port La Noire... strange, but I think it will be ported... hopefully it's a good port this time.SaltyMeatballs

To be fair, it's not that strange. The PC has traditionally been more of a home to adventure games than it has to action adventure-y games.

Anyway, every other GTA game has been on the PC, so the next one might as well be.

#20 Posted by freedomfreak (42921 posts) -

Yes,no,probably,maybe..It's GTA..so probably.

On release?probably,maybe,no..Who knows..

#21 Posted by Heil68 (46722 posts) -
[QUOTE="999realthings"]

Mystic-G
This pretty much is the reality of things. All GTA games are on PC, GTA5 will be no different. The only question is if it'll be simultaneous release or delayed.

I hope its at the same time, I would like to get it on PC and not have to wait. I'd probably break down and get it for console then. :P
#22 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="999realthings"]

Heil68

I hope its at the same time, I would like to get it on PC and not have to wait. I'd probably break down and get it for console then. :P

Or at least have something worth waiting for the PC release.Last time they said stuff about great PC exclusive features that were crap

#23 Posted by XileLord (3777 posts) -

Probably and it'll more than likely be badly optimized and full of problems.

#24 Posted by SRTtoZ (4800 posts) -

I know R* isnt fond of the PC because of the insane amount of GTA that gets pirated but at some point I am sure it will get it...not release day, but somtime after.

#25 Posted by Heil68 (46722 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Mystic-G"] This pretty much is the reality of things. All GTA games are on PC, GTA5 will be no different. The only question is if it'll be simultaneous release or delayed.seanmcloughlin

Or at least have something worth waiting for the PC release.Last time they said stuff about great PC exclusive features that were crap

Was PC version released afterwards for IV? I remember going to the midnight release for the console version. I wouldn't wait for PC version of V, I more than likely would pick it in addition to the console version.
#26 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

La Noire is only a few days away on PC

lets see how good of a port it is, still it will most likely sell bad on PC, Rockstar will blame piracy of course

still hoping on RDR for pc

#27 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

I know R* isnt fond of the PC because of the insane amount of GTA that gets pirated but at some point I am sure it will get it...not release day, but somtime after.

SRTtoZ

it has nothing to do with piracy, its because the deal they made with Sony was why they delayed it (most likely the same reason for RDR), piracy is a scapegoat, GTA4 sold bad on PC because it was delayed a year after the console versions and is known as one of the worst ports of all time, if you think piracy was the cause of poor sales, you are a fool

#28 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10765 posts) -
They could actually release it on time, who knows.
#29 Posted by fusionhunter (2009 posts) -

Eh I'd say it probably will.

#30 Posted by SRTtoZ (4800 posts) -

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

HaloinventedFPS

it has nothing to do with piracy, its because the deal they made with Sony was why they delayed it (most likely the same reason for RDR), piracy is a scapegoat, GTA4 sold bad on PC because it was delayed a year after the console versions and is known as one of the worst ports of all time, if you think piracy was the cause of poor sales, you are a fool

Which is why Lazlow Jones, when asked if RDR would be released for PC said and I quote "Well maybe eventually but we like to make money off of platforms that arent pirated to death first".

Whos the fool?

#31 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

Yes, but how well optimized it will be remains a mystery.

#32 Posted by NoodleFighter (7822 posts) -

The question is will it actually be a good one?

#33 Posted by Kokuro_Kun (2339 posts) -
[QUOTE="markop2003"]Yes, however i could see the porting process being outsourced considering how valuable Rockstar North's time is.C_Rule

Ha!
#34 Posted by Valiant_Rebel (4197 posts) -

If they want money, then yes.

#35 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26236 posts) -

[QUOTE="markop2003"]Yes, however i could see the porting process being outsourced considering how valuable Rockstar North's time is.C_Rule

No way. A monkey would've done a better job.

#36 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15589 posts) -
Isn't the rumor that R* north is dong the pc version and they want to release it day 1?
#37 Posted by SRTtoZ (4800 posts) -

Isn't the rumor that R* north is dong the pc version and they want to release it day 1? SAGE_OF_FIRE

There's also a rumor that the main protaganist is Tommy Vercetti.

#38 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15589 posts) -

mitu123
LA Noire recommends a 580.
#39 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15589 posts) -

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Isn't the rumor that R* north is dong the pc version and they want to release it day 1? SRTtoZ

It will probably be Donald Love.
#40 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Its likely to come later consider how Rockstar seems to feel about the PC. They waited 6 months for the PC version of GTA IV and did a pretty bad port job, and we never even got Red Dead Redemption so who knows.

#41 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26236 posts) -

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Their recommendations are stupid. AMD's recommended is a 6850 but the Nvidia is a 580. I can't see how it could possibly take that much unless they really overhaul the visuals.

#42 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Isn't the rumor that R* north is dong the pc version and they want to release it day 1? SAGE_OF_FIRE

It will probably be Donald Love.

In other words, its unlikely to be anyone from the past. I'm guessing the joke here is that Donald Love is a semi legitimate businessman who doesn't even get dirty himself and would never be a GTA protagonist, so he's just as likely to be the protagonist as Tommy right?

Unless you really think it will be him, then...

#43 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

That's if you're a Nvidia user, here's what an AMD user needs:

And for the lulz, my specs:

#44 Posted by osan0 (12966 posts) -
way too much hate for the PC version of 4 here. imho its a pretty good port. instead of just slapping the console stuff on a disc and shipping it off R* actually put the PCs extra grunt to some use. yes it was buggy (now sorted) but it also scaled really well with PC hardware. PC gamers conatantly complain about devs just copying and pasting the console game over and multiplats not putting the PCs hardware to use. yet when a dev does do it they get berrated because it doesnt run smoothly on a dual core system at 1080P at 60FPS. its either/or people...cant have both. it is the best version of the game. i only have 4 complaints with the PC version. 1) all the crud you need to install with it (some of it removed with the latest patch). 2) lack of proper mod support. its a shame R* dont release some modding tools for the game. 3) limiting settings based on amount of VRAM (easy to remove that problem though). 4) the UI is poor in places. it did launch with problems but it also launched with a lot of upgrades from the console version. it also got excellent post release support from R* where they even upgraded stuff with patches (like shadows). i hope GTA5 does get similar treatment. the last thing i want is a copy/paste job. make it scalable, give lots of graphics options, bring lots of upgrades...good stuff. maybe bring in DX11 features, improve the lighting and shadows and so on (icehancer type upgrades would be kewl). if bugs can be squashed also then all the better but i wont complain too much if its a bit buggy as long as its a proper port. just squish those bugs with patches asap post launch.
#45 Posted by Wasdie (50578 posts) -

I think the sales for GTA 4 proved that they can sell the PC verson well. I hope they put some time into optimizing it so it actually runs on the average system decently.

#46 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

way too much hate for the PC version of 4 here. imho its a pretty good port. instead of just slapping the console stuff on a disc and shipping it off R* actually put the PCs extra grunt to some use. yes it was buggy (now sorted) but it also scaled really well with PC hardware. PC gamers conatantly complain about devs just copying and pasting the console game over and multiplats not putting the PCs hardware to use. yet when a dev does do it they get berrated because it doesnt run smoothly on a dual core system at 1080P at 60FPS. its either/or people...cant have both. it is the best version of the game. i only have 4 complaints with the PC version. 1) all the crud you need to install with it (some of it removed with the latest patch). 2) lack of proper mod support. its a shame R* dont release some modding tools for the game. 3) limiting settings based on amount of VRAM (easy to remove that problem though). 4) the UI is poor in places. it did launch with problems but it also launched with a lot of upgrades from the console version. it also got excellent post release support from R* where they even upgraded stuff with patches (like shadows). i hope GTA5 does get similar treatment. the last thing i want is a copy/paste job. make it scalable, give lots of graphics options, bring lots of upgrades...good stuff. maybe bring in DX11 features, improve the lighting and shadows and so on (icehancer type upgrades would be kewl). if bugs can be squashed also then all the better but i wont complain too much if its a bit buggy as long as its a proper port. just squish those bugs with patches asap post launch.osan0
Good port? You call this good:

The game thinks I have 2GB 460s when I only have 1GB...

#47 Posted by osan0 (12966 posts) -

[QUOTE="osan0"]way too much hate for the PC version of 4 here. imho its a pretty good port. instead of just slapping the console stuff on a disc and shipping it off R* actually put the PCs extra grunt to some use. yes it was buggy (now sorted) but it also scaled really well with PC hardware. PC gamers conatantly complain about devs just copying and pasting the console game over and multiplats not putting the PCs hardware to use. yet when a dev does do it they get berrated because it doesnt run smoothly on a dual core system at 1080P at 60FPS. its either/or people...cant have both. it is the best version of the game. i only have 4 complaints with the PC version. 1) all the crud you need to install with it (some of it removed with the latest patch). 2) lack of proper mod support. its a shame R* dont release some modding tools for the game. 3) limiting settings based on amount of VRAM (easy to remove that problem though). 4) the UI is poor in places. it did launch with problems but it also launched with a lot of upgrades from the console version. it also got excellent post release support from R* where they even upgraded stuff with patches (like shadows). i hope GTA5 does get similar treatment. the last thing i want is a copy/paste job. make it scalable, give lots of graphics options, bring lots of upgrades...good stuff. maybe bring in DX11 features, improve the lighting and shadows and so on (icehancer type upgrades would be kewl). if bugs can be squashed also then all the better but i wont complain too much if its a bit buggy as long as its a proper port. just squish those bugs with patches asap post launch.mitu123

your going to call it up on an issue so minor? oh no it thinks you have twice the memory you have...poor you. end of the world stuff right there. hell most people hated that feature as it didnt allow them to put the settings as high as they wanted yet your complaining that it thinks you have too much? this minor issue is a game breaker is it?

#48 Posted by jedikevin2 (5246 posts) -
GTA4 actually was a good pc game. It was the very top end where it had bad optimization problems. It scaled really well, ton of graphical options, and actually ran really well and far outpace what they had did on the console version. Still very odd peolpe trash on the game when we've see true pc ports in forms of supreme commander 2, splinter cell games, Rage, etc etc. Game did come out buggy as many games this generation do on all platforms but man it ran nicely.
#49 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17469 posts) -

No platforms have been announced yet so for all we know it could be PC exclusive.

Ah who am I kidding, all I hope is that they hire a decent PC team for this.

#50 Posted by princeofshapeir (15062 posts) -

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="osan0"]way too much hate for the PC version of 4 here. imho its a pretty good port. instead of just slapping the console stuff on a disc and shipping it off R* actually put the PCs extra grunt to some use. yes it was buggy (now sorted) but it also scaled really well with PC hardware. PC gamers conatantly complain about devs just copying and pasting the console game over and multiplats not putting the PCs hardware to use. yet when a dev does do it they get berrated because it doesnt run smoothly on a dual core system at 1080P at 60FPS. its either/or people...cant have both. it is the best version of the game. i only have 4 complaints with the PC version. 1) all the crud you need to install with it (some of it removed with the latest patch). 2) lack of proper mod support. its a shame R* dont release some modding tools for the game. 3) limiting settings based on amount of VRAM (easy to remove that problem though). 4) the UI is poor in places. it did launch with problems but it also launched with a lot of upgrades from the console version. it also got excellent post release support from R* where they even upgraded stuff with patches (like shadows). i hope GTA5 does get similar treatment. the last thing i want is a copy/paste job. make it scalable, give lots of graphics options, bring lots of upgrades...good stuff. maybe bring in DX11 features, improve the lighting and shadows and so on (icehancer type upgrades would be kewl). if bugs can be squashed also then all the better but i wont complain too much if its a bit buggy as long as its a proper port. just squish those bugs with patches asap post launch.osan0

your going to call it up on an issue so minor? oh no it thinks you have twice the memory you have...poor you. end of the world stuff right there. hell most people hated that feature as it didnt allow them to put the settings as high as they wanted yet your complaining that it thinks you have too much? this minor issue is a game breaker is it?

Any PC port without AA is crap. Sorry.