Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

DirectX 12 is going to be showcased this Thursday at GDC and it seems like it Xbox One will get some form of it to help with SDK kits, I don't believe MisterXmedia and his baloney "secret sauce extra chip crap" But I do believe this can help Xbox achieve 1080p and catch up to where multiplats are on the PS4, or will it make no difference at all?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Like DX10 did for the 360? Oh wait..

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solid_Max13

@Shewgenja said:

Yea MS really dropped the ball on that at the time but this actually seems legit, but my question is will it help the Xbox?

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

Well I don't know enough about DX12 but if its like every other Direct X ever released, then it would have a negative impact on performance I would imagine. For example, playing a PC game with DX11 features enabled will lead to a decrease in performance; turning them off yields better performance. It's been like this for every generation of Direct X releases. Unless DX12 is completely different and allows for ease of programming and optimization similar to AMD's Mantle then that's another story. But as I said, don't know much of anything about 12, but based on all past Direct X's, I don't see how this could possibly help the Xbox One achieve 1080p and better performance.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja

It will help some, as far as resource management and using a mature API that is actually designed with the hardware in mind. I imagine it's been more a case of the DX11 tools suffering because man hours and focus has been put on getting the DX12 stuff to work right and interface well. The tools for the Xbone have been shyte from what developers have been saying. That being said, MS clearly has a gameplan with DX12 and I imagine slogging along to get to that point is more important for MS than putting in a ton of support for a dev environment that is being replaced anyway.

Answer the question?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@juarbles said:

Can a hamster build a nuclear reactor?

that's a good question. i think it depends

are we talking thermal or fast neutron reactor?

and how long are we giving them to build the reactor?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja

And let's call a spade a spade shall we? This isn't the first time MS has launched a product in Beta to the general public. Not even close.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#9 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

You dont realise youve owned yourself with this right?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@juarbles said:

No, but a mouse can

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

if directx12 turns the xbox one into a ps4 then yes.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shewgenja

@Oemenia said:

@Shewgenja said:

You dont realise youve owned yourself with this right?

Educate me ^.^

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

And let's call a spade a spade shall we? This isn't the first time MS has launched a product in Beta to the general public. Not even close.

yep just like sony.

ps1 turning upside down, ps2 dre, ps3 11%+ failure rate, 40 dollar gran turismo demo and full game that took 4 patches to be up to snuff, MAG, Warhawk, Starhawk all which received nothing from their beta's in the retail version until months later.

@Shewgenja said:

It will help some, as far as resource management and using a mature API that is actually designed with the hardware in mind. I imagine it's been more a case of the DX11 tools suffering because man hours and focus has been put on getting the DX12 stuff to work right and interface well. The tools for the Xbone have been shyte from what developers have been saying. That being said, MS clearly has a gameplan with DX12 and I imagine slogging along to get to that point is more important for MS than putting in a ton of support for a dev environment that is being replaced anyway.

Answer the question?

quite a large lie, specially given that they said the 360 had the best development tools last generation and the only mention of development tool woes this gen were by confirmed devs in sony's pocket..

but your a sheen lying is natural for you.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shewgenja

@WilliamRLBaker said:

l which received nothing from their beta's in the retail version until months later.

quite a large lie, specially given that they said the 360 had the best development tools last generation and the only mention of development tool woes this gen were by confirmed devs in sony's pocket..

I won't hold my breath for an apology, but it was fun owning you yet again.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@Shewgenja:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2105382/move-over-mantle-microsoft-to-reveal-next-gen-closer-to-the-metal-directx-12-at-gdc.html

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console."

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superclocked

@Shewgenja: Many DirectX 10 features, including the unified shader instruction set, were based off of the XBox 360's revolutionary videocard design....

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shewgenja

@superclocked said:

@Shewgenja:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2105382/move-over-mantle-microsoft-to-reveal-next-gen-closer-to-the-metal-directx-12-at-gdc.html

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console."

@superclocked said:

@Shewgenja: Many DirectX 10 features, including the unified shader instruction set, were based off of the XBox 360's revolutionary videocard design....

A. Going back to launching a product in Beta. I was, of course, referring to the XBone.

B. Unified shaders did not make the 360 DX10 compliant. At all. In fact, the 88-- and 98-- series cards from NVidia were dedicated pipeline cards. Their 200 series were unified shader. Well into DX10's lifespan.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

direct x 11.2 didn't help like most lemmings said it would,

and now its 12?

just let it go lemmings,

pretty soon it will be 13, and then 14.

and nothing will help it because its shitty hardware

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superclocked

@Shewgenja: I didn't say that the 360 was completely DX10 compatible. But, it did have many DX10 features that were ahead of their time, and definitely ahead of the PS3's RSX..

The XBox One has a custom tiling chip, and I'm interested to see what it's capable of...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

It should help it efficiently get to it's optimal performance.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

It will help close the gap between the PS4 and xbox one a bit, but the xbox one will still be weaker than the PS4.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

It should have most Xlfop games running 900p with a stable 28fps by 2015. LOL

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

The 20th is judgment day apparently. Keeping a close eye on MisterX's blog as this is an event that they hype up to the absolute heavens over there like they did with the Hotchips one when everyone was sure they'd have 12GB DDR3 and a Kaveri CPU with GCN 2.0 and it ended in absolutely.....nothing LOL.

Either way. It's going to be an interesting day ;).

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

direct x 11.2 didn't help like most lemmings said it would,

and now its 12?

just let it go lemmings,

pretty soon it will be 13, and then 14.

and nothing will help it because its shitty hardware

What games took advantage of 11.2?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HalcyonScarlet

@Shewgenja said:

Answer the question?

I don't think that is in question. The software on the X1 was completely bare bones even at launch. The day one update included the OS. They did the right thing in my opinion. MS focused on the hardware to rush the console to launch to match the PS4. They got the hardware perfect in terms of build without making the 360 RROD mistake, even managing to squeeze a little bit extra performance out by overclocking the CPU and GPU.

After launch they've just been focusing on the software now. From the development side of things with drivers and tools to the consumer side of things with features and stability updates.

I don't think they are struggling to fit DX12 in with the X1, MS is a company that road maps things I think, like with the updates they're doing now, it's not Russian Roulette as to what they throw into it. So it would make sense that they had been in discussion with AMD about mantle a long time ago and they could have designed the X1 in mind with DX12 to some degree this whole time.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@super600: How will it close the gap? I don't claim to be up on all the latest tech, but doesn't PS4 have HUMA compatibility that is lacking in the Xflop Bonaire GPU? Again LOL.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts
@WilliamRLBaker said:

@Shewgenja said:

yep just like sony.

ps1 turning upside down, ps2 dre, ps3 11%+ failure rate, 40 dollar gran turismo demo and full game that took 4 patches to be up to snuff, MAG, Warhawk, Starhawk all which received nothing from their beta's in the retail version until months later.

@Shewgenja said:

Answer the question?

If the xbox dev tools are not crap, then I guess the bone is just weak then. Agreed?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HalcyonScarlet
@Shewgenja said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

l which received nothing from their beta's in the retail version until months later.

I won't hold my breath for an apology, but it was fun owning you yet again.

I don't trust Gaming Blend. They're like the Daily Mail or video games journalism. They've lost credibility with me to be honest. I can't remember what it was about, but they made a sensationalist story and took something out of context. It was beyond something even IGN would do.

Not saying they're wrong here, but I'm not sure about them.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solid_Max13

@misterpmedia said:

The 20th is judgment day apparently. Keeping a close eye on MisterX's blog as this is an event that they hype up to the absolute heavens over there like they did with the Hotchips one when everyone was sure they'd have 12GB DDR3 and a Kaveri CPU with GCN 2.0 and it ended in absolutely.....nothing LOL.

Oh god I'm not listening to his dribble of teh secret sauce and 10.99999 Gigaflops that when running at 85 m/h can teleport me back in time where I can change the past and make the future better all with my nuclear powered.... nvm got off topic lol, either way he's a fool people who still believe him should honestly be castrated publicly.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I still have yet to see where software can overcome hardware blunders.

Prove me wrong.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

XBones API is more stream lined and efficient then DX12 will be so no it won't do jack.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

We will see in a couple of days.

And in before Sony Fan says no it won't...................oh wait.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Solid_Max13

@kuu2 said:

You know kuu I do enjoy you as a lem! I wish more lems were like you, and less like me3x12/FreedomFree

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@juarbles said:

Yes. If you give a Hamster all the materials it needs and an infinite amount of time to go throw all the possibilities, it will eventually create a nuclear reactor. Let that sink in for a bit.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kuu2

@Solid_Max13 said:

@kuu2 said:

You know kuu I do enjoy you as a lem! I wish more lems were like you, and less like me3x12/FreedomFree

I have my fanboy moments that is for sure but most are for kicks and giggles ;)

Thanks for the compliment. Ok now back to SW, go pound sand @Solid_Max13 :p

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuu2

@Solid_Max13 said:

DirectX 12 is going to be showcased this Thursday at GDC and it seems like it Xbox One will get some form of it to help with SDK kits, I don't believe MisterXmedia and his baloney "secret sauce extra chip crap" But I do believe this can help Xbox achieve 1080p and catch up to where multiplats are on the PS4, or will it make no difference at all?

You would hope that The One was developed to make full use of DirectX 12 but you never know. In so many of these large companies the right hand has no idea what the left is doing.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

DX12 will get this party started.

I love the rumor that 12 will run only on dual GPU's. You know what that means? THE ONE secret sauce is confirmed.

Cloud Power cometh.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

@SuddenlyTragic said:

Well I don't know enough about DX12 but if its like every other Direct X ever released, then it would have a negative impact on performance I would imagine. For example, playing a PC game with DX11 features enabled will lead to a decrease in performance; turning them off yields better performance. It's been like this for every generation of Direct X releases. Unless DX12 is completely different and allows for ease of programming and optimization similar to AMD's Mantle then that's another story. But as I said, don't know much of anything about 12, but based on all past Direct X's, I don't see how this could possibly help the Xbox One achieve 1080p and better performance.

Every new Direct3D API is more efficient and faster than the one before it. A well optimized DirectX11 game will run better than a well optimized DirectX9 game. The only reason why games seem to have a higher cost for DX11 is because developers use the more efficient coding and the more powerful hardware to add in extra goodies like tessellation, etc.

DirectX 12 will be faster and more efficient than DirectX 11. It will allow developers to do more.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#42 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

No. It'll be utilized best on Windows.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

Yea, I'm pretty sure nobody takes him seriously anymore lol.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the Xbone will never surpass the PS4 when it comes to sales let alone graphics. A Frostbite programmer compared the PS4's ACE to the Cell's SPE's and the Xbone doesn't even has an equivalent to that... It's time to move on lems.

He even says that the Sony's Api's are just as good or maybe even better than Mantle.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/17/frostbite-tech-director-we-dont-need-mantle-on-ps4-talks-about-the-ps3s-spu-and-ps4s-aces/

Info about PSSL, the API for the PS4:

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdceurope2013/Presentations/825424RichardStenson.pdf

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Not really. The Xbox One already has a much lower level API than DirectX 11 and the major changes they are making to DX12 are to increase efficiency of the API by giving the game direct hardware access in some areas. At least that will be one of the features.

DirectX on the Xbox One is already more efficient than the PC version. I'm speaking in some pretty general terms here, nothing specific.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By misterpmedia

@slimdogmilionar said:

@misterpmedia said:

There's going to be so much damage control and spin that if you ever got nutrients from reading nonsense on the net then the 20th is going to be a Viking feast over there. It's going to be brilliant and I'm already starting to get hungry.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@juarbles said:

Can you die in a nuclear reactor. lol!!

If you think it'll just be DX12 that improves the XB1, you'll be in for a rude awakening come E3.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Solid_Max13

@blackace said:

@juarbles said:

If you think it'll just be DX12 that improves the XB1, you'll be in for a rude awakening come E3.

Enlighten us, what will improve the XB1?

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@misterpmedia said:

There's going to be so much damage control and spin that if you ever got nutrients from reading nonsense on the net then the 20th is going to be a Viking feast over there. It's going to be brilliant and I'm already starting to get hungry.

I have an xbox1 and I personally would not trust anything MisterX has to say at this point.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 misterpmedia

@blackace said:

@juarbles said:

are we? Please tell us more, specifics and all.