Will digital VAT ruin VG industry in Europe?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

https://www.gov.uk/vat-on-digital-services-in-the-eu

Starting from Jan 1, all the European countries will introduce a value added tax on all digitally distributed goods.

Personally I'm boiling with rage as the prices already are at least 40% higher than in the US, even with all the tax ramifications notwithstanding, I wonder what would the implications of this act be. Certainly higher prices, but how much higher? I'm afraid soon there's not gonna be any point to

owning a console in Europe with games costing twice as much and more than half services not functioning.

In the UK there's additionally a VAT on video games as well. I have a musician friend who will pull out his albums for digital download as it's not only gonna be not profitable but also he'd lose more money.

Welcome to the Dark ages, bros.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

'Murica is all that matters

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I'm sure Valve, Sony and MS will change their prices over here to compensate. The prices have always been higher, now they can lower them. OR alternatively, they coould potentially lose the entire European market.

If prices do indeed go even higher on Steam, I will resort to getting my games elsewhere c:

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

So does that mean that digital games in the UK will cost more? That would make Ubisoft games extremely more expensive than they already are.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

In UK you already pay tax on digital goods

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

it's inevitable that digital taxes will hit the US as well.

However, even with taxes I would hardly call this the dark ages. Games are still cheaper then they have been in the past, and they're are many more gaming options to choose from.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Don't buy games digitally. It's a bad investment anyway.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

So much taxes.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Buying digital is lame anyways. Well, unless a sale is going on.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

Don't buy games digitally. It's a bad investment anyway.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. It's digital or nothing.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

@Boddicker: You always have a choice. If the game is only offered digitally, just don't buy it, that's what I do. You should never feel forced to buy a game digitally if it's your only option of playing it. Simply walk away and save your money for something else. It really is easy to take a stand and just say no.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

@Boddicker: You always have a choice. If the game is only offered digitally, just don't buy it, that's what I do. You should never feel forced to buy a game digitally if it's your only option of playing it. Simply walk away and save your money for something else. It really is easy to take a stand and just say no.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I was under the impression stuff like Steam had VAT on the price anyway, at least in the UK... so whats the problem?

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I already pay VAT on Steam, Origin etc. not a big deal.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

I buy all my games digitally. I have two xbox ones in the house. When my friends come round, they can logon with their profiles into the main xbox while I logon to the second xbox and we can play together. So effectively with a single purchase of a digital game we can both play simultaneously. Besides swapping discs just because I want to play another game is so last gen. Even with the outage over Christmas, all I had to do was put my main console into "offline" mode and I was able to continue playing my digital games. The only good thing about physical discs is that you can re-sell them. But I hardly sell my games because the depreciation is so bad its not worth it. I don't buy second hand games either because for couple of quids more you can buy new - besides I want to support the developers.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@Scipio8 said:

I buy all my games digitally. I have two xbox ones in the house. When my friends come round, they can logon with their profiles into the main xbox while I logon to the second xbox and we can play together. So effectively with a single purchase of a digital game we can both play simultaneously. Besides swapping discs just because I want to play another game is so last gen. Even with the outage over Christmas, all I had to do was put my main console into "offline" mode and I was able to continue playing my digital games. The only good thing about physical discs is that you can re-sell them. But I hardly sell my games because the depreciation is so bad its not worth it. I don't buy second hand games either because for couple of quids more you can buy new - besides I want to support the developers.

Your cheque's in the post, Insipid8.