Will consoles ever get AAA space combat game?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#51 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No Man's Sky is on the PS4.

Space combat games seem to be a big thing on the PC right now but literally all of them are kickstartered and crowed funded. Outside of the backers of the games, there isn't much of a market for space flight games.

Flight games get too repetitive too quickly. There is a reason they didn't make it out of the 90s. Now we have procedural tech and all of the big ones are trying to do something much larger than just flying missions. Star Citizen is doing the whole persistent universe, Elite Dangerous and Limit Theory are doing a massive procedural universe. Limit Theory allows you to play it in an RTS mode and has a big metagame where you can take over large chunks of the galaxy. No Man's Sky is a roguelike. Enemy Starfighter is a weird 4x, RTS, flight sim combo that is basically a flyable Homeworld game and looks absolutely amazing.

All of these games are highly experimental and are doing something more than mission based combat and basic multiplayer. This is necessary because standard space flight games are pretty shallow.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: b-b-but wow won in '04.

BAHAHAHA!

Officially stuck in a loop,butthurtdone74

Officially stuck with no pc goty exclusive for a decade.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

The only types of games console kids will play is a CoD clone or 3rd person Movie-Game.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#54  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Hopefully Battlefront 3 and No Man's Sky will have good space combat! We do need more games like Elite and Wing Commander on consoles, though.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX said:
@xboxdone74 said:

@MonsieurX: b-b-but wow won in '04.

BAHAHAHA!

Officially stuck in a loop,butthurtdone74

Officially stuck with no pc goty exclusive for a decade.

Maybe you should learn what a decade means.

But eh,you seem to enjoy looking like an idiot,butthurtdone74

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

@Wasdie said:

No Man's Sky is on the PS4.

Space combat games seem to be a big thing on the PC right now but literally all of them are kickstartered and crowed funded. Outside of the backers of the games, there isn't much of a market for space flight games.

Flight games get too repetitive too quickly. There is a reason they didn't make it out of the 90s. Now we have procedural tech and all of the big ones are trying to do something much larger than just flying missions. Star Citizen is doing the whole persistent universe, Elite Dangerous and Limit Theory are doing a massive procedural universe. Limit Theory allows you to play it in an RTS mode and has a big metagame where you can take over large chunks of the galaxy. No Man's Sky is a roguelike. Enemy Starfighter is a weird 4x, RTS, flight sim combo that is basically a flyable Homeworld game and looks absolutely amazing.

All of these games are highly experimental and are doing something more than mission based combat and basic multiplayer. This is necessary because standard space flight games are pretty shallow.

flight games get too repetitive too quickly, and fps 3rdps action games don't? lmao show some neutrality mod.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@napo_sp said:

flight games get too repetitive too quickly, and fps 3rdps action games don't? lmao show some neutrality mod.

I didn't say anything like that. Stop making shit up. I guess it's my biased that drove me to own both an Aurora and an 325a in Star Citizen. How many more conclusions do you want to make?

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 napo_sp

@Wasdie said:

@napo_sp said:

I didn't say anything like that. Stop making shit up. I guess it's my biased that drove me to own both an Aurora and an 325a in Star Citizen. How many more conclusions do you want to make?

what? then what was this

"Flight games get too repetitive too quickly. There is a reason they didn't make it out of the 90s."

you spoke as if flight games were too primitive because of their repetition while fps and 3rdps action games -which are the mainstream genre today- aren't.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@napo_sp: I didn't make any of those implications about 3rd person shooters and FPSs. You're making them and then trying to call me out on something I didn't say.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#61 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Resogun? Super Stardust ?

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@napo_sp: I didn't make any of those implications about 3rd person shooters and FPSs. You're making them and then trying to call me out on something I didn't say.

It appears you struck a nerve.. sensitive bunch eh?

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 napo_sp

@Wasdie said:

of course it's implied, go ahead and make similar statement in killzone fan thread about fps, see how they react.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

The whole genre took a nosedive a decade ago across consoles and PC (I'm assuming smaller indie titles wouldn't satisfy TC's requirements. Several upcoming PC titles have returned the genre to the spotlight and created considerable buzz, though none as much as the amazing looking Star Citizen.

This being the gaming industry, if the upcoming games prove successful you'll see companies work to copy the formula and release on consoles. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out someone has already gotten started, based on the buzz around the genre and the lack of competition presently on consoles.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

http://www.ps4playstation4.com/images/strike-suit-zero.jpg

XBO/PS4

..though I suppose it has more of a mech feel.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Maybe once the genre picks up in popularity again. It's still very niche, even on PC. It almost disappeared for a while and is only now coming back with God Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

@CrownKingArthur said:

i hope so. i think the controllers are good enough for a decent space combat game in the same vein as freelancer.

honestly, if ms/sony/nintendo had a really top notch exclusive space combat sim - i'd give their console very serious consideration.

Chris Roberts was playing Star Citizen with a wired 360 controller in the Twitch stream the other day. I'm sure they are planning on having numerous input methods available for everyone. With varying levels of accuracy.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#67 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

If Star Citizen ends up being a huge success then you can bet you're ass there's going to be a hundred of the mother fuckers showing up on consoles.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Master_ShakeXXX said:

If Star Citizen ends up being a huge success then you can bet you're ass there's going to be a hundred of the mother fuckers showing up on consoles.

doesn't EA own the freelancer IP? you can bet afew millions that they will start cranking out games if star citizen turns out well

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts
@Master_ShakeXXX said:

Hopefully!