Will console games ever reach Star Citizen's graphics?

• 171 results
Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) 6 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Will console games ever reach Star Citizen's graphics? (107 votes)

Obviously, no. 47%
They will, eventually. 19%
Of course you twit, it's how consoles work. 11%
Meh SC. 1%
Crysis 3 still looks better. 5%
Just wait until Uncharted 4/Zelda/Kinect. 2%
OP has a tiny dick. I know for sure, I've sucked it! 4%
You make shit poll options. 12%

Discuss.

#51 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

Depends on what console manufacturers put in them next generation.

Right now, a GTX770, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a i7 runs the game as it currently is at max.

#52 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Yes they will, but not this current gen we are now in.

#53 Edited by mikhail (2326 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@gpuking said:

First of all the order is 1920 x 800 with 4xmsaa which is more bandwidth demanding than 1080p itself.

nah we've had enough of ridiculous comments like that.

the ps4's power is a constant, they'll try use it all up to produce the best looking visuals whether it's at 1920x1080, or a lesser resolution like 1920x800.

...and The Order runs at only 30 FPS.

(1920 * 1080) * 60 frames per second = 124.4 million pixels per second rendered.

(1920 * 800) * 30 frames per second = 46 million pixels per second rendered.

#54 Edited by melonfarmerz (1189 posts) -

The console denial in this thread brings me sheer joy

#55 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

I don't find these screens all that impressive, especially the character models. Whats the deal with the guys arms in the first pic? And his thumbs seem to be on backwards lol! Looks totally unrealistic.

#56 Posted by hummer700 (10197 posts) -

Graphically, yeah it'll get at least really close. Scope? Nah, not with those graphics

#57 Posted by kinectthedots (2007 posts) -

This thread is going to be a lot of fun after tomorrow, herms jumping the gun will be looking desperate trying to act like this game looks much more impressive when high quality images and gifs of the upcoming console exclusives get shown for E3. Can't wait.

Bu but a gen apart..bu my $500 gpu??

#58 Edited by lawlessx (46778 posts) -

@hummer700 said:

Graphically, yeah it'll get at least really close. Scope? Nah, not with those graphics

pretty much this..

#59 Edited by BloodyTides (151 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

This thread is going to be a lot of fun after tomorrow, herms jumping the gun will be looking desperate trying to act like this game looks much more impressive when high quality images and gifs of the upcoming console exclusives get shown for E3. Can't wait.

lol like your going get anything at this SC scale on console

#60 Posted by Vaasman (11499 posts) -

@gpuking said:

First of all the order is 1920 x 800 with 4xmsaa which is more bandwidth demanding than 1080p itself. As for KZ, at least it has density in its horizon rather than an empty space of void with a few floating debris. Honestly if hermits are impressed by this game then I'll really just leave you to it, there is no discussion to be had here lol.

You must be Egyptian to be that far in denial.

#61 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3713 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@aroxx_ab: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but uhh.. yea. I think you can. There even talking about making planets landable.

Question for those who have played it. Can you just burn in one direction forever or do you hit an invisible wall? For instance that tiny spec of a planet you see in the distance. If I wanted to could I fly towards it without interruption?

It is open world , there are no invisible walls (talking about final version) . You can land on planets , asteroids , underwater cities etc on launch but those places will be handcrafted and limited (450 locations to land on , at game's launch) . However atmospheric flight won't be available on launch and will later be added as expansion pack , that'll allow you to land at any place on the planet (entire planets will be opened for exploration) .

#62 Edited by WallofTruth (1746 posts) -

@gpuking said:

Easily.

Yes, there's these 366p gif's/bullshots, then there's actual in-game screesnhots and sadly they look like this:

Dat next-gen foliage! lmao.

#63 Edited by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@gpuking said:

Easily.

Yes, there's these 366p gif's/bullshots, then there's actual in-game screesnhots and sadly they look like this:

Dat next-gen foliage! lmao.

Some more salt in the wounds.

#64 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2605 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

No matter what will be shown at E3, it will remain inferior technically to the 2011's Crysis 2 because of the cheap ass tablet CPU and the 570 level GPU that comprise the 900pStation just like every single game released to date for it.

No amount of DC will change the specs of your pathetic consolole. Corners will be cut in order to put games to that consolole.

#65 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@bloodytides said:

@kinectthedots said:

lol like your going get anything at this SC scale on console

What scale? we know nothing of its scale.... and no its not a seemless universe.... im pretty sure Chris Roberts explained it... and it sounds exactly like EVE's system. you warp to pockets... these pockets can only hold a limited ammount of players (say 50-100) ... and you are matched up like in Dark Souls if you are being hunted or have friends ect.

So... an empty space box ... with ships? in pockets.... "dat scale".

#66 Posted by mikhail (2326 posts) -

@MBirdy88: If it feels anything like the sense of scale in EVE, then Star Citizen will have nailed it. Because holy crap that game is huge.

#67 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@MBirdy88: If it feels anything like the sense of scale in EVE, then Star Citizen will have nailed it. Because holy crap that game is huge.

well yes, in terms of universe size that is true.... but lets be realstic... it was mostly empty pockets with a few objects and spaceships in each area... as far as rendering goes... it was not on any large scale... as it loaded every time you warped.

The same will be true for Star Citizen, I see nothing about it that cannot be done on consoles yet... but we will see. as we only have hanger and dogfighting. but if it is pocket based, then I see no reason not to.

That being said.. I hope it doesn't go to consoles... and I hope it evolves to require even better hardware over the next year... at the moment... it looks worse than Crysis 3 to me... underwhelming... and all their trailers and the gameplay that I have experienced... the cryengine needs alot of tweaking... the graphics are blurred not sharp... and the textures just seems abit washed out... models and animation are amazing though.

#68 Posted by Gue1 (10214 posts) -

I've seen gameplay and Star Citizen doesn't even look that good. I know this will hurt PC gamers but even Killzone SF looks better and I'm being serious here. On top of it the animations are super stiff and most people that have played it say that it plays like dogshit.

#69 Posted by Heirren (17352 posts) -

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahahahahah game looks lousy. Graphics have reached a point where art direction has sort of taken over technical prowess. Mario Kart 8 looks better than anything on ps4.

#70 Posted by gpuking (2888 posts) -

Brain dead hermits here would call it graphics king no matter how bad it looks, then they would pick some blurry YT grabs of other games to pretend the earth is flat, how very pathetic.

#71 Edited by BloodyTides (151 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

I've seen gameplay and Star Citizen doesn't even look that good. I know this will hurt PC gamers but even Killzone SF looks better and I'm being serious here. On top of it the animations are super stiff and most people that have played it say that it plays like dogshit.

Its a first alpha build what do you expect even elite:dangerous wasn't as good back in alpha and also cherry picking videos I see.

#72 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

thanks Gue for being the person who claims everyone says its dogs*it when its reception has been largely the opposite. and we are comparing a PROPER ridiculously early alpha game with the default cryengine settings to Killzone? really?

Let me know when Killzone will have 100s of ships on screen amongst other things aswell while your at it.

#73 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@gpuking said:

Brain dead hermits here would call it graphics king no matter how bad it looks, then they would pick some blurry YT grabs of other games to pretend the earth is flat, how very pathetic.

Ironic when Gue picks a burry video... whats blurry about this?

much better quality. the game for its current state looks good. how it can even be compared to a corridor shooter that was released is beyond stupid... when the big ships will be nearly 100x the size of these little dogfighters.

consolites being pathetic as usual. reception for this is already great.

#74 Edited by Jankarcop (9627 posts) -

No. Have fun fighting for second place for 8 more years plebian s

#75 Posted by General_Solo76 (238 posts) -

I really don't get what the big deal is about this game? It Looks kinda boring to me. *shrugs*

#76 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -
@general_solo76 said:

I really don't get what the big deal is about this game? It Looks kinda boring to me. *shrugs*

Have you ever wanted to be the captain of your own starship? Fly wherever you want? Take whatever job you want? Star Citizen is about living your own life in a world ~1000 years from now.

Want to be a ground infantry in the military? You can do it. Want to be a fighter pilot? Do it. Want to be a space trucker? Do it. Intergalactic pirate? Go right ahead.

#77 Posted by Jankarcop (9627 posts) -

@general_solo76: well not everyone likes four hour long movie games. Diff tastes.

#78 Edited by m3dude1 (1366 posts) -

several games at e3 already look better, but ill reserve judgement until i see it on shelves so i know its actually ps4 footage.

#79 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
@m3dude1 said:

several games at e3 already look better, but ill reserve judgement until i see it on shelves so i know its actually ps4 footage.

name them

#80 Posted by ithilgore2006 (10482 posts) -

Yes, obviously. "Ever" is a long time and consoles do in fact, get new versions.

#81 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

You haven't seen Star Citizen in motion at 1080p I take it?

It's running on stock CryEngine 3 settings. They haven't even tweaked the graphics yet and it looks leagues better than anything else out there.

#82 Posted by toast_burner (21769 posts) -

maybe next gen

#83 Posted by m3dude1 (1366 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@m3dude1 said:

It's running on stock CryEngine 3 settings. They haven't even tweaked the graphics yet and it looks leagues better than anything else out there.

yes ive seen it, again i think several titles at e3 look better but the possibility of them being repeats of watch dogs e32012 is very possible.

#84 Edited by Pray_to_me (2877 posts) -

Uncharted 4 Just Shat on Star Citizen

#85 Posted by melonfarmerz (1189 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

Uncharted 4 Just Shat on Star Citizen

What the CGI trailer? LOL cows really have a low IQ

#86 Edited by m3dude1 (1366 posts) -

I expect the those are all ingame assets rendered at some absurd resolution.

#87 Posted by DarthRamms (543 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@m3dude1 said:

yes ive seen it, again i think several titles at e3 look better but the possibility of them being repeats of watch dogs e32012 is very possible.

name them m3board

#88 Posted by m3dude1 (1366 posts) -

division, uncharted 4, unity and surprisingly, even the new COD

#89 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

The Order and Uncharted 4 destroyed Star Citizen.

#90 Edited by DarthRamms (543 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

Uncharted 4 cgi trailer lol and lol AC unity and division ah sorry but no and lol please COD

Go back to talking about your crappy tv

#91 Edited by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

You clearly haven't seen Star Citizen at 1080p in motion.

Or need glasses.

#92 Posted by melonfarmerz (1189 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

Ok let's get this straight.

For uncharted, we've seen 1 CGI trailer. We all know what the PS4 is capable of. There's no way it could run Star Citizen if it were ported over. No. Fucking. Way. It's simply too advanced.

Also, really? Division, Unity and COD? Those look nowhere close to Star Citizen. Plus they're coming to PC anyways so even if they do look better, the PC version will still run at higher frames, higher res, and will look better than your version.

#93 Posted by melonfarmerz (1189 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Still waiting for your PC bud :)

#94 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

@DarthRamms said:

@m3dude1 said:

Uncharted 4 cgi trailer lol and lol AC unity and division ah sorry but no and lol please COD

If we are going by Naughty Dog's previous track record, I don't think that's a CG trailer. The final game will come close or be just as good.

#95 Edited by DarthRamms (543 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Uncharted 4? A CGI trailer with no gameplay lol and no not even the order funny how its also a corridor shooter running at less than actual full HD.

Yo where your PC?

#96 Posted by Ballroompirate (23049 posts) -

Probably not

People need to realize consoles are gonna be always less powerful than up to dated PC's unless they start releasing consoles every 2 years or so.

#97 Edited by DarthRamms (543 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

@DarthRamms said:

@m3dude1 said:

If we are going by Naughty Dog's previous track record, I don't think that's a CG trailer. The final game will come close or be just as good.

Yes where's the gameplay should I believe that division trailer is the actual graphics to?

Also note their game looked worse compared to their E3 video they showed a few years back.

#98 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

@DarthRamms said:

@m3dude1 said:

Star Citizen requires minimum specs of a PC about the equivalent of a PS4 (dual-core CPU, 8GB of RAM and a DX11 GPU).

An i7, GTX770 and 16GB of RAM can max the game (which is currently running an unmodified CryEngine 3). No way any PS4 title could match it. Ever.

#99 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@happyduds77 said:

@DarthRamms said:

@m3dude1 said:

Star Citizen requires minimum specs of a PC about the equivalent of a PS4 (dual-core CPU, 8GB of RAM and a DX11 GPU).

An i7, GTX770 and 16GB of RAM can max the game (which is currently running an unmodified CryEngine 3). No way any PS4 title could match it. Ever.

But you have to take in count that Uncharted is a very linear/scripted game and it has a very small playable space, and Star Citizen is freakin' massive.

I don't think Uncharted will look just as good as the trailer, but there's a possibility.

#100 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

But you have to take in count that Uncharted is a very linear/scripted game and it has a very small playable space, and Star Citizen is freakin' massive.

I don't think Uncharted will look just as good as the trailer, but there's a possibility.

I doubt it will come close to Star Citizen. CIG isn't working with hardware limitations. They are setting the minimum standard where current gen consoles stand (approximately). Their top end is completely open. Whether a PS4/Xbone game is linear or not, it won't ever come close to what SC is doing.

I'm not sure of the poly count of some of the ships, but I don't doubt it's as high as most of these "next-gen" games.