Will Call of Duty remain very popular this gen?

• 65 results
Posted by SolidGame_basic (17982 posts) 8 months, 25 days ago

Poll: Will Call of Duty remain very popular this gen? (41 votes)

yea 51%
no 49%

Or will it fizzle out?

#1 Edited by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

I thought ghost already showed it was/is fizzling out

#2 Posted by Chutebox (37403 posts) -

All it needs to keep its fanbase is a fresh coat of paint. The game has looked the same all gen long.

#3 Edited by PsychoLemons (2119 posts) -

With a terrible fanbase, yes.

#4 Edited by jsmoke03 (12934 posts) -

all it takes is one game to turn it around. i was on the outs with assassins creed because of 3 but black flag rejuvinated my interest in the franchise

but i gave up hope with them trying to recapture the magic of cod4

#5 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

Of course, it's the King.

#6 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3077 posts) -

Mostly so I think. Will it break records (set by itself) probably not. But will it still sell tons of copies, absolutely. I just think that with the lukewarm reception of BLOPS 2 and Ghosts, coupled with console FPS competitors getting better and growing in numbers. (Battlefield, TitanFall, Destiny, etc) that it's sales will be great, but not quite COD "standards".

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (9020 posts) -

Fake media hype attempted to push Titanflop as the next Call Of Duty with big dickwads like Adam Sessler using big gimmicky words to make it seem important.

Thankfully, all the bets the publishers and media put on it (thank you for that 4 month coverage gamespot) didn't really amount to much.

The next big thing will probably come from a minecraft/dayz idea driven game rather than twat in a suit with dollar signs for eyeballs.

#8 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

All it needs to keep its fanbase is a fresh coat of paint. The game has looked the same all gen long.

Cod 2 looks as good as Ghosts?

Anyways, upcoming CoD's will have 3 year dev cycles so surely there will be some big improvements coming.

#9 Edited by ominous_titan (734 posts) -

I hope so. Bro games have fucked up gaming

#10 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

its certainly unpopular at my domicile.

#11 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@Chutebox said:

Anyways, upcoming CoD's will have 3 year dev cycles so surely there will be some big improvements coming.

ghosts looks like garbage. How a series actually went in reverse is beyond me

#12 Posted by lostrib (37804 posts) -

I think it will still sell a lot, but steadily declining amounts

#13 Edited by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

I hope so. Bro games have fucked up gaming

Their money is as good as anyone elses

#14 Posted by ominous_titan (734 posts) -

Ya it is, would like something new to come along that catches fire like COD did. Emphasis on new

#15 Posted by glez13 (8876 posts) -

Ghosts was already released.

#16 Posted by KittenNose (531 posts) -

In this new world where video games are a sport? Heck yeah Cod will do well. The only thing they have to do in order to revive the series when it actually starts petering out (By which I mean makes the move from massively successful to only moderately successful, which hasn't happened yet.) is be the first modern military FPS to capitalize on the existence of curvy women. If Call of Duty ever gets desperate enough to hire on Team Ninja as cheer leading consultants, they will shatter best selling games records for another five years.

Geeks are not longer gaming's driving force, and if there is any group of people more pacified by mammary glands then geeks, it is... Hey what do you call the males out there that are not geeks? Holy crap I need to do... man ... things...

#17 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9631 posts) -

No, I think it's going to fizzle out much like other IPs of Activision's before it. Don't worry; they'll find something new and popular to milk this gen just like always.

#18 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6281 posts) -

Yes I think so and it will remain that way as long as seasoned fans support it. And if there's a fresh new coat of paint, the series will remain even super popular among new and old fans.

It's not like with the Halo franchise, which remain exclusive to Xbox and the PC, but the exclusiveness made it's popularity very limited to those platforms.

CoD games are mulitplatform, therefore there's a better chance of increasing popularity for the franchise across all platforms/demographics.

#19 Posted by marcheegsr (2848 posts) -

Call of duty will always sell well and have a large fan base regardless if any of us like it or not.

#20 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Cranler said:

@Chutebox said:

Sounds like you're talking about the overall game while I was speaking of graphics.

The graphics are actually quite good. graphics in the camapign can be quite stunning at times.

Best campaign since Black Ops imo. MP has improved loadouts. Much better customization options than in the past.

Why do you say Ghosts is worse?

#21 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5679 posts) -

Popular, yes. Ridiculously popular generation defining series, no. I think a fresh coat of paint will give it another boost, but I'm guessing it will taper off quickly soon after.

#22 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5652 posts) -

I think it will slow down.

#23 Edited by bfmv2007 (289 posts) -

I think it will slow down a lot this gen. Until COD actually manages to man up and change the game to something that we haven't been playing since COD4, it will continue to lose fans. COD is simply killing itself off by choosing to not innovate. COD4's multiplayer took the world by surprise, but you can only stick to that formula for so long before it starts to get stale, and starts feeling dated. And to me, COD has been going stale since MW2. I just find it hard to believe that since MW2 there has been 4 more COD games, and not a one of them have changed. Maybe with Sledgehammer releasing a COD, they will be the saving grace, because we already know IW, or Treyarch isn't going to change a thing. But giving Sledgehammer has already worked on a COD game, I find it highly doubtful.

#24 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@wis3boi said:

@Cranler said:

@Chutebox said:

Sounds like you're talking about the overall game while I was speaking of graphics.

The graphics are actually quite good. graphics in the camapign can be quite stunning at times.

Best campaign since Black Ops imo. MP has improved loadouts. Much better customization options than in the past.

played the free weekend on steam just for lulz a while back, it looked like vaseline was rubbed all over the screen. I have a 7970GE and it ran like ass, to boot. Even Black Ops II ran and looked better

#25 Posted by melonfarmerz (1189 posts) -

Deep inside, I want COD to reinvent itself and stay successful.

#26 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Cranler said:

@wis3boi said:

@Cranler said:

@Chutebox said:

played the free weekend on steam just for lulz a while back, it looked like vaseline was rubbed all over the screen. I have a 7970GE and it ran like ass, to boot. Even Black Ops II ran and looked better

I agree that Ghosts has poor optimization but I think it looks better than Black Ops 2.

#27 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

Just like halo was the dominant console shooter till a generation came and cod took over because it was new new and fresh, cod will get replaced as well.

#28 Posted by gameofthering (10324 posts) -

It will still sell but not as well as it once did.

#29 Posted by legendofsense (71 posts) -

Depends on how good Destiny turns out to be. I know one is a competitive multiplayer and the other isn't, but Destiny seems like a game i can invest a huge amount of hours in.

#30 Posted by millerlight89 (18570 posts) -

After CoD Ghosts vs BF4, I think BF needs to take a hike. At least CoD was in way better shape post launch than BF. I have no faith in DICE and Battlefront. I'm more excited to see Titanfall grow as a franchise.

#31 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -

Cod's been in decline for a while now. Modern military shooters are like WW2 games in the PS2 days, too many, all the same.

After Titanfall, there's no way I am bothering with COD multiplayer.

Destiny will also crush it.

#32 Edited by super600 (30722 posts) -

Cod is going to continue it's slow and steady decline since people are starting to lose interest in the franchise. A new and interesting game in the franchise may slow down the decline.

#33 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

it's better than titanfall so obviously yes

#34 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

Sadly it will be due to corrupt media and marketing and ppls buy everything that media say. COD was once a great series. COD1 and UO were good. they were not that mainstream popular than suddenly COD4 come out and not only ruin COD series but FPS genre too.

success of COD4 lead to destruction of FPS genre.

#35 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Sadly it will be due to corrupt media and marketing and ppls buy everything that media say. COD was once a great series. COD1 and UO were good. they were not that mainstream popular than suddenly COD4 come out and not only ruin COD series but FPS genre too.

success of COD4 lead to destruction of FPS genre.

absolute twaddle

#36 Posted by hoosier7 (3846 posts) -

Popular? Yes to an extent. The same level of sales? No.

This is a franchise that sells more than 15 million copies yearly, it's not going to disappear, i mean a third of that still put it with some of the most popular titles.

My prediction is sales will continue to decline, Activision will give it a shot in the arm with a release that really switches things up but it'll be short lived. They'll still get another 5 titles out it though i reckon, it'll still be popular enough for a good amount of the gen but it'll meet it's end within the generation too.

It's not going to a quick demise like some think, there's enough new 13 year olds every year for Activision to drain the life out of it for as long as possible and the season passes and DLC have only opened up another cash cow for them. Only then will it join Medal of Honour and Guitar Hero.

#37 Posted by Netret0120 (2212 posts) -

I think it will remain the leading FPS game until we receive a new FPS that dethrones it but that new fps will always be referred to as the 'new COD'.

I think they realised their errors with Ghosts and with Next-gen consoles they will hopefully change it up and compete with Destiny and Titanfall. Variety is always good.

#38 Edited by KungfuKitten (21143 posts) -

Amongst a certain demographic that doesn't need anything new and don't mind that they keep paying for it, sure. WoW still has a lot of subscribers. People still play DOTA. I'd buy another Battlefield, if it is proven to work.

#39 Posted by gta50419 (337 posts) -

Of course....Many games haven't mastered the art of staying fun for months like COD...

#40 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7430 posts) -

I have heard of this Call of Duty. Might give it a try.

#41 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2101 posts) -

How is it not going to dominate? The CoD formula works and it works well. Unlike lets say BF games, anyone can jump in a play a CoD game and do pretty well. I think a lot of you are putting way, way too much emphasis in CoD devs re-creating the wheel here. The gameplay works very well. Sure, could the visual package be ramped up? Absolutely, but that is not something that will stop this franchise from its continued dominance!!

#42 Posted by AcidTango (617 posts) -

I just want companies to stop trying to copy or compete with COD.

#43 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2101 posts) -

@AcidTango said:

This is what hurt Halo 4 in my opinion! Halo as a FPS franchises succeeded on its own merits up until 4. 343i made a conscious decision to make the MP in Halo 4 resemble that of CoD and I think they failed! CoD is what it is because love it or hate it whether it is IW, Treyarch, Sledgehammer or whoever, the formula is the same and it works and the lifetime sales prove it!!!

#44 Edited by AcidTango (617 posts) -

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@AcidTango said:

This is what hurt Halo 4 in my opinion! Halo as a FPS franchises succeeded on its own merits up until 4. 343i made a conscious decision to make the MP in Halo 4 resemble that of CoD and I think they failed! CoD is what it is because love it or hate it whether it is IW, Treyarch, Sledgehammer or whoever, the formula is the same and it works and the lifetime sales prove it!!!

Even though I stopped liking the COD games after COD 4, the series does make a huge amount of cash and I know that a lot of game companies want to make as much money as the COD games, but no matter how many times they try to copy from them, they will never beat COD like this at all.

#45 Edited by gameofthering (10324 posts) -

I wonder if the next COD will be released just for XBone/PS4/PC or if they will put it on the last gen systems as well.

#46 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

maybe not this generation but it's definitely gonna be another guitar hero

#47 Edited by MonsieurX (30489 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

maybe not this generation but it's definitely gonna be another guitar hero

Stay mad.

CoD > Quake

#48 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7326 posts) -

I think it will stay strong unless Activision takes a look at what Ubisoft is doing with Assassin's Creed and decides to release 2 CODs per year. No franchise would be able to survive that for long.

#49 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2101 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

I wonder if the next COD will be released just for XBone/PS4/PC or if they will put it on the last gen systems as well.

I would love that as we would get a game meant for and designed around the new hardware. Unfortunately the almighty $$$ will dictate that we will see CoD games on the 360 and PS3 for the foreseeable future!!

#50 Posted by RoccoHout (989 posts) -

I think it'll still be popular, but not selling as much as it used to