Will Bloodborne be the G.O.A.T. ARPG when it's released?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunder7151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Bloodborne be the G.O.A.T. ARPG when it's released? (48 votes)

Yes 31%
No 69%

Please explain you think Bloodborne will, or will not, be the greatest of all time ARPG when it's released.

Thanks.

• 
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

no because its a dark souls game

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Won't be,can't wait to see the major floppage

Also,inb4lock

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Probably one of the best arpg from the gen like the other soul games, but not GOAT

You may continue the damage control dear lems.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What makes people think that exactly?

All we've seen is a few minutes of gameplay footage that looks exactly like Dark Souls and the prestige of the development team? That's it? Destiny had way more footage going for it, and much greater prestige*, and it got a 6/10.

Keep your expectations in check, you might actually enjoy the game rather than be sorely disappointed with it.

*Bungie's average Metacritic score is 86. From Software's is 68. Take that for what it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Probably not. But I still hope it will surpass it predecessors.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Simple answer, Yes. In depth answer, Of course.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

All we've seen is a few minutes of gameplay footage that looks exactly like Dark Souls and the prestige of the development team? That's it? Destiny had way more footage going for it, and much greater prestige*, and it got a 6/10.

The difference regarding the "prestige of the development team" is that the Bungie that developed Destiny and the Bungie that developed Halo:CE are almost totally different.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@princeofshapeir said:

@foxhound_fox said:

The difference regarding the "prestige of the development team" is that the Bungie that developed Destiny and the Bungie that developed Halo:CE are almost totally different.

Ditto.

This is Miyazaki-san and his A-Team we are talking about.

It's gun be good.

Thunder7151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thunder7151
Member since 2013 • 456 Posts

The gameplay videos of Bloodborne look ridiculously impressive!! The game looks perfect in almost every way.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

If this game flops cows will never hear the end of it.

It's hype like this that makes for disappointment. Pedigree isn't everything, and we've seen next to nothing of it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonsieurX

@foxhound_fox said:

Keep your expectations in check, you might actually enjoy the game rather than be sorely disappointed with it.

*Bungie's average Metacritic score is 86. From Software's is 68. Take that for what it is.

Because cows get excited easily since they don't have any other games to hype currently

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Thanks, i was looking for a gif that represents Dark Souls fans. Stuck in the same place playing the same game year after year. Dark Souls is basically the CoD of JRPGs but uglier and less fun to play.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Thanks, i was looking for a gif that represents Dark Souls fans. Stuck in the same place playing the same game year after year. Dark Souls is basically the CoD of JRPGs but uglier and less fun to play.

Your troll attempt would be a lot more effective if you didn't call Dark Souls a JRPG

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReadingRainbow4

@MonsieurX said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Because cows get excited easily since they don't have any other games to hype currently

I suppose having the creator of the souls games on board has nothing to do with it's hype then.

Or how the first two entries in the series made directly under him were such amazing games, certainly no reason to hype there.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Your troll attempt would be a lot more effective if you didn't call Dark Souls a JRPG

Its a RPG made in Japan. How is it not a JRPG? Unless you're one of those stupid people that doesn't know what a JRPG is.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

It's hard for him to use his brain.

classic mems.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:

Its a RPG made in Japan. How is it not a JRPG? Unless you're one of those stupid people that doesn't know what a JRPG is.

It's a Western-style RPG developed in Japan.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Doubt it

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

So its a JRPG. Thanks, glad we cleared that up.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Considering the fact that there aren't any better action RPG games since the souls series released it would be foolish for people to say otherwise.

It's funny to see people try to praise the hack and 2nd rate gameplay of The Witcher and see them try to criticize Souls games. It's beyond idiotic to see dumb fanboys make that argument.

From Soft set the standard for gameplay on ARPG games after Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is their premier game for the current generation. There isn't anything that can stand next to it and saying otherwise just shows what a dumb fanboy troll you are because whatever your favorite current ARPG game is, it is not on Souls level nor holds up to A-Team Miyazaki project standards

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I suppose having the creator of the souls games on board has nothing to do with it's hype then.

Or how the first two entries in the series made directly under him were such amazing games, certainly no reason to hype there.

It has nothing to do with that,obviously.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

What do people see in the Souls games? I hear nothing about the story, just how hard it is....

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224

@clyde46 said:

What do people see in the Souls games? I hear nothing about the story, just how hard it is....

There is no story and it isn't even hard. Its all about memorizing patterns and where traps are. The bosses look cool but they're all pretty easy and similar to beat.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReadingRainbow4

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

I'd only say it's Western style in it's aesthetics, when it comes to game play having full control of combat is not something that is synonymous with western role playing games.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#26 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@lostrib said:

Doubt it

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clyde46

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

There is no story and it isn't even hard. Its all about memorizing patterns and where traps are. The bosses look cool but they're all pretty easy and similar to beat.

So whats the point of the game?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224

@clyde46 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

nerds pretending like they accomplished something because they suck at games? idk. I was really bored and had nothing else when I finally played through Dark Souls. Got tired of looking at it on my backlog shelf.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

If you take the names of genres literally you can call it whatever you want, but most people don't look at the Souls games and think of them as JRPGs. It's like calling Portal an FPS.

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

There is a story in each of the games. You haven't been paying attention if you think otherwise.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kinectthedots

@clyde46 said:

Just stay ignorant and stick to the crap gameplay of games like The Witcher while praising it to the heavens thinking you are experiencing something good.

You may be too dumb to read but there have been plenty of things said about it other than how hard it is if you really wanted to know. You are just a dumb troll so I just felt like pointing that out.

skip to 1:00...

Loading Video...

watch and be enlightened.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@clyde46 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

You could play them yourself and find out? It's fun, there's some deep lore hidden throughout and the game requires a certain commitment from the player. Button mashing will get you killed, observing your surroundings is key.

I recommend the first two games, Darksouls 2 while not as good still has some redeeming qualities but it's clear Miyazaki wasn't part of the project.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By foxhound_fox

@princeofshapeir said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Doesn't seem to be the case with From Soft. Everyone rides Miyazaki's dick like it's the greatest thing ever... but what has he done? Some Armored Core games, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Demon's was a breakout hit because it was something new and fresh that everyone bandwagoned onto (personally, I was underwhelmed and only loved Dark Souls). Dark Souls just built on that basic formula under a new IP. Even his directing history is not as prestigious as Bungie's.

I'm not trying to downplay anything he has achieved, I'm merely trying to help people temper their expectations. If Bungie of all developers (who after getting into the Halo series, and seeing their skill in action, I couldn't see messing up) can fall from grace and end up making a stale fart of a game that will not likely last the 10 years they hope, then Miyazaki has the potential for this as well (I can hear the stampede already).

In the age of AAA blockbusters with massive budgets, opaque development processes (as opposed to the nice transparent ones of Kickstarter-like projects) and humungous advertising campaigns, expectations are only on the rise, and disappointment is going to start creeping up on people when they least expect it.

I can guarantee you that there will be a large quantity of people on the internet, cows included, that will find something wrong with Bloodborne if it's a smash hit and complain endlessly about it. Vice versa as well if it's a disappointment. There will be a die-hard group of apologists defending the game because "it comes from such an amazing developer, it can't be bad!" even amongst large quantities of critical dissent.

I'm interested to see Bloodborne succeed... but I also don't want it to just be Dark Souls with guns. There needs to be meaningful evolution to the gameplay formula to justify making not only a spiritual sequel, but an entirely new franchise on a "next-gen" system. I do hope it doesn't sell poorly and hurts From's bottom line. I think they are a great developer with lots of room to grow (notice how I say they have to grow) and hope that they do.

--

"Next-gen" is turning into the generation of jilted disappointment and now that Destiny has come and soon will be gone, no one is safe.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@mems_1224 said:

If you take the names of genres literally you can call it whatever you want, but most people don't look at the Souls games and think of them as JRPGs. It's like calling Portal an FPS.

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

There is a story in each of the games. You haven't been paying attention if you think otherwise.

JRPG isn't a genre. Just a description of where the RPG was made. Portal is a puzzle game, no idea how that's relevant.

Sure, there is a story in the game just like there is a story in Super Mario Bros. Doesn't make it good or interesting.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clyde46

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

nerds pretending like they accomplished something because they suck at games? idk. I was really bored and had nothing else when I finally played through Dark Souls. Got tired of looking at it on my backlog shelf.

So basicly its a really cheap game that uses cheating AI to amp the difficulty up in between a nonsensical story and mediocre graphics?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224

@clyde46 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clyde46 said:

So basicly its a really cheap game that uses cheating AI to amp the difficulty up in between a nonsensical story and mediocre graphics?

Basically. Dont forget the horrible UI. Can't have a Japanese game without a horrible UI.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@foxhound_fox said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Doesn't seem to be the case with From Soft. Everyone rides Miyazaki's dick like it's the greatest thing ever... but what has he done? Some Armored Core games, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Demon's was a breakout hit because it was something new and fresh that everyone bandwagoned onto (personally, I was underwhelmed and only loved Dark Souls). Dark Souls just built on that basic formula under a new IP. Even his directing history is not as prestigious as Bungie's.

I'm not trying to downplay anything he has achieved, I'm merely trying to help people temper their expectations. If Bungie of all developers (who after getting into the Halo series, and seeing their skill in action, I couldn't see messing up) can fall from grace and end up making a stale fart of a game that will not likely last the 10 years they hope, then Miyazaki has the potential for this as well (I can hear the stampede already).

In the age of AAA blockbusters with massive budgets, opaque development processes (as opposed to the nice transparent ones of Kickstarter-like projects) and humungous advertising campaigns, expectations are only on the rise, and disappointment is going to start creeping up on people when they least expect it.

I can guarantee you that there will be a large quantity of people on the internet, cows included, that will find something wrong with Bloodborne if it's a smash hit and complain endlessly about it. Vice versa as well if it's a disappointment. There will be a die-hard group of apologists defending the game because "it comes from such an amazing developer, it can't be bad!" even amongst large quantities of critical dissent.

I'm interested to see Bloodborne succeed... but I also don't want it to just be Dark Souls with guns. There needs to be meaningful evolution to the gameplay formula to justify making not only a spiritual sequel, but an entirely new franchise on a "next-gen" system. I do hope it doesn't sell poorly and hurts From's bottom line. I think they are a great developer with lots of room to grow (notice how I say they have to grow) and hope that they do.

--

"Next-gen" is turning into the generation of jilted disappointment and now that Destiny has come and soon will be gone, no one is safe.

How the **** does Destiny have anything to do with fromsoftware. Please stop these ridiculous comparisons.

Of course flaws will be pointed out, welcome to vidya games "Where nothing is perfect and there will always be someone who doesn't like what you made." just look at mems.

I'd be worried if Miyazki was taking an approach towards the design of the game where he wanted to make everyone happy. You can never achieve that and it just leads to a shallow product.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By princeofshapeir

@clyde46 said:

None of the enemies in the Souls games "cheat." The story in each of the three games makes perfect sense and is clear to the player, so long as you're not blind or illiterate. The graphics are fine for a series in the 7th gen, and the artstyle is excellent.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46

@kinectthedots said:

@clyde46 said:

Just stay ignorant and stick to the crap gameplay of games like The Witcher while praising it to the heavens thinking you are experiencing something good.

You may be too dumb to read but there have been plenty of things said about it other than how hard it is if you really wanted to know. You are just a dumb troll so I just felt like pointing that out.

Well sorry Mr "I got a stick up my ass". For starters I haven't hyped TW3 at all, I barely even played the first one and haven't touched the second. You had the perfect chance to make the sell for the Souls games but you had to go out of your way to be a dick. Oh wait, I know that username. You're just a Cow who jumps on anyone one says anything negative about Sony. I'm done responding to you.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Why are you always so angry, kinectthedots?

I expect a joyful, playful individual with a punzy name like that.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:

@clyde46 said:

None of the enemies in the Souls games "cheat." The story in each of the three games makes perfect sense and is clear to the player, so long as you're not blind or illiterate. The graphics are fine for a series in the 7th gen, and the artstyle is excellent.

word, no cheapness in Dark Souls to be found

Loading Video...

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@princeofshapeir said:

@clyde46 said:

The only enemies I'd say that cheat are the ones in Darksouls 2, but that's not even their AI, just the shitty fucking hitboxes.

Unless they fixed that, I haven't played in quite a while.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

How the **** does Destiny have anything to do with fromsoftware. Please stop these ridiculous comparisons.

Of course flaws will be pointed out, welcome to vidya games "Where nothing is perfect and there will always be someone who doesn't like what you made." just look at mems.

I'd be worried if Miyazki was taking an approach towards the design of the game where he wanted to make everyone happy. You can never achieve that and it just leads to a shallow product.

Just remember this thread when Bloodborne releases to mixed reactions.

And what of the more accessible difficulty? How is that not trying to make everyone happy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@clyde46 said:

But there is a story and I think its pretty good. You just need to read and connect the dots.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@clyde46: Dark Souls 1 and 2 aren't "hard". People exaregate alot. The combat however, is definitely slow, and you can take alot of damage from just a few blows. Just keep slow, don't rush, and generally you'll be fine. Except for rare case like FUCKING ORNSTEIN AND SMOUGH.

BTW, The Wicther 2 combat takes inspiration from Souls, according to CDPR. While not the same, they're quite similar.

IMO, the draw lies in the atmosphere, and how it puts world building and a sense of danger and dread over basic plotlines and narrative. It's also quite open ended, but not fully open world, allowing you to take multiplat paths.

However, they do have a problem in which that same lack of narrative makes the game feel "empty". I have to admit that Blodborne's Van Helsing setting would be much more awesome if characters, story and monsters where fully explored, instead of the traditional Souls design.

Anyway, lol no. The Witcher 3 will be better because it'll probably have better and deeper RPG elements, aswell as deeper and better narrative. *wink* And even then, GOAT? Wait and see.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46

@princeofshapeir said:

@clyde46 said:

If the story makes perfect sense, why aren't more people talking about it? Why whenever I see Souls threads, the only topics being discussed are "How hard is X boss, I can't beat him". I can understand why some people may like those games because of the much higher difficulty curve that pays homage to games we grew up that were hard etc but when was the last you heard someone praising the Souls series for its story?

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

word, no cheapness in Dark Souls to be found

Loading Video...

LOL. The player could have avoided dying if he panned his camera to the right and checked that corner. That's something the game teaches you to do from the very beginning. It's entirely his own fault for dying.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Gamerno6666 said:

@clyde46 said:

But there is a story and I think its pretty good. You just need to read and connect the dots.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

lol poor mems already melting down and damage controlling, bloodborne is coming, deal with it.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kinectthedots

@Gamerno6666 said:

@clyde46 said:

lol

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ReadingRainbow4

@foxhound_fox said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Just remember this thread when Bloodborne releases to mixed reactions.

And what of the more accessible difficulty? How is that not trying to make everyone happy?

So you have nothing to add to further your bullshit? Gotcha.

AAA release =/ the same as every AAA release. You would do well to remember that.

Have you seen the TGS footage? Difficulty certainly looked like it was still there, especially considering there are more enemies to contend with at once than ever before.