Will Blizzard next MMO break records in expense?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Will Blizzard next MMO break records in expense? (4 votes)

Yes 25%
No 75%

My friends, Blizzard aren't exactly generous when it comes to price. Long before Activision the titles prices remained very jacked. And now with World Or Warcraft, the expansion packs are being sold for £44. That's double and £4 the price of an expansion pack. Likewise, on top of £10 monthly fee, the game also features micro transactions. Mounts and pets being sold at £10-£20. And now, sadly, power leveling. A maxed out character for £40. Blizzard clearly didn't like the Koreans getting all the action.

Which leads us to the qeastion. What we have is the developer of the most hyped played MMO of all time. A pop culture phenomenon coupled with Activision. I have a suspision the price point for the product will possibly be the highest ever priced for a modern video game to date.

How feels you? Will Blizzards next MMO be a jaw droppingly eye poppingly high price?

• 
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

No.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

No.

I'll take this as a yes.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably be about the same

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Well first off, what do you mean by price point? If you're just referring to the price of the full game and the cost of expansions then yes, I believe the "price point" will remain the same.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

@airshocker said:

Well first off, what do you mean by price point? If you're just referring to the price of the full game and the cost of expansions then yes, I believe the "price point" will remain the same.

But you're wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

But you're wrong.

You need to learn how to troll better. You're becoming like SNIPER, if you aren't him already.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

No. It will be about the same.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

why on earth would they do that?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No. They are still charging $15 a month for WoW because that's what people are paying and show no real sign of wanting to stop. Sure they are down to about 7 or 8 million subs, but that's 7 or 8 million subs on a year old game. They are going to charge $40 for the expansion because it will be worth $40. You may not play WoW but I do, Mists of Pandaria has more content than 95% of $60 games. We're talking 100+ hours of content easily. Hell it has more content than most new MMOs do when they launch.

I don't expect them to do a monthly fee for the next MMO. WoW has a fee because it has a loyal fanbase. They aren't marketing WoW or any of the new expansions to new players, they are just giving their existing fanbase more content, fans that are content with paying for content. Blizzard won't be able to do a sub based MMO if they want huge numbers ever again. They know this.

Wildstar Online is going to have a sub and ESO has a sub. I'm convinced ESO will be buy-to-play sometime in 2015 and Wildstar Online may go the same route if the game doesn't get enough subs early on.