Will any PS3 game feature "Good Textures"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts
Ever?
marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts
only on focus points like characters and vehicles. MGS4 already is showing similar R:FOM ground textures.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it.
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpecialForcesOp

only on focus points like characters and vehicles. MGS4 already is showing similar R:FOM ground textures.marklarmer

Damn........ They need to use the built in HDD to stream the textures in then!!! Christ.

I don't want MGS4 to look like Low res vomit. at least the enviromental textures.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. pimperjones

same amount of total ram as 360 you know

SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpecialForcesOp

With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. pimperjones

But what aboout teh built in HDD texture cacheing? :cry:

SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpecialForcesOp

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. munu9

but isn't split? 256mb / 256mb so that the GPU can only show 256mb of texture at any give time on the screen?

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pimperjones

PS3 ain't about the textures it's about Magical Powers generated by the Magical CELL. LOL

l1mIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 l1mIt
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts

like oblivion on PS3?

/thread

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
All PS3 games have good textures, they don't need to be better than the 360 textures to be good.
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
Time will tell
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 munu9
[QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. SpecialForcesOp

but isn't split? 256mb / 256mb so that the GPU can only show 256mb of texture at any give time on the screen?

Yes, but do you think the otehr 256MB is waisted? No, if used well the ps3 can have better textures than the 360 (oblivion). Though does take a bit more work for the ps3 version to look better...

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 munu9

All PS3 games have good textures, they don't need to be better than the 360 textures to be good. Dahaka-UK

Well at least better than "Gun" for the 360 :)

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pimperjones

Yea, it has 512mb, its just split, the GPU can grab a hefty amount of it

look at Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, MGS4, these games look great

R-Dot-Yung

All those games have low textures. There's difference between good art design and good textures. Heavenly, Uncharted and MGS4 all have great art design but all have very simple textures.

Lets face it splitting the ram was a bad idea, especially when you have a weak GPU to begin with. It's not the end of the world in the end graphics are not totally dependant on high textures the art design is 80% of the graphics the textures is just 20%, that why games like MGS4 will rule.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
ps3 is good at multitasking (as is my understanding), as well as disc storage and standard hard drive, so I don't see why it shouldn't have the best textures
ForTheNguyen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ForTheNguyen
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts
[QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]

pimperjones

All those games have low textures. There's difference between good art design and good textures. Heavenly, Uncharted and MGS4 all have great art design but all have very simple textures.

Lets face it splitting the ram was a bad idea, especially when you have a weak GPU to begin with. It's not the end of the world in the end graphics are not totally dependant on high textures the art design is 80% of the graphics the textures is just 20%, that why games like MGS4 will rule.

LIAR! HS has sexy textures

Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts

Yes.

Any other questions?

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pimperjones
[QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"][QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. munu9

Yes, but do you think the otehr 256MB is waisted? No, if used well the ps3 can have better textures than the 360 (oblivion). Though does take a bit more work for the ps3 version to look better...

The thing nobody wants to do a bit more work, a game thats made on 2 consoles should require the same amount of work on both sides, the same dead line and the same staff and resources. By splitting the ram Sony is forcing devs to spend more money on the PS3 version just so they can get it to look the same as the Xbox version. Take a look at Rainbow Six the game took longer to port and on top of that it's still missing textures and light soruces.

Everyone says that with a bit more work game devs can achieve the same graphics if not better than the Xbox 360 but no one realizes that nobody wants to do a bit more work. In the real world you have a deadline and if the frame rates aren't where it's suppose to be then guess what you start lowering textures and removing light sources. I have a feeling it's gonna be like this for a long time with multiplat games.

river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
ok it might have a bad gpu now, but isnt sony also trying to use the cell as a gpu also, im pretty sure killzone2 is supposed to be using the gpu in the ps3 and the one made on the cell, the built in one for smaller things and the cell one for the bigger stuff, dont mind if i sound stupid im not that great with this stuff, but i think im right.
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpecialForcesOp
I hope at E3 07 MGS4 will feature better textures then when we last saw it at TGS 06.............
miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts

Looks alright to me:?

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pimperjones

ok it might have a bad gpu now, but isnt sony also trying to use the cell as a gpu also, im pretty sure killzone2 is supposed to be using the gpu in the ps3 and the one made on the cell, the built in one for smaller things and the cell one for the bigger stuff, dont mind if i sound stupid im not that great with this stuff, but i think im right.river_rat3117

Thats what Sony's Edge Tools is suppose to be teaching but most devs at this point are still using the old tried and tested method of GPU for graphics. It's gonna be a while before they start riding on Sonys CELL for everything bandwagon.

river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 river_rat3117

[QUOTE="river_rat3117"]ok it might have a bad gpu now, but isnt sony also trying to use the cell as a gpu also, im pretty sure killzone2 is supposed to be using the gpu in the ps3 and the one made on the cell, the built in one for smaller things and the cell one for the bigger stuff, dont mind if i sound stupid im not that great with this stuff, but i think im right.pimperjones

Thats what Sony's Edge Tools is suppose to be teaching but most devs at this point are still using the old tried and tested method of GPU for graphics. It's gonna be a while before they start riding on Sonys CELL for everything bandwagon.

which is why we get the bad ports, and until they use it we will have bad textures, but once they get that together they should be on par if not better than the 360's
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pimperjones
[QUOTE="ForTheNguyen"][QUOTE="pimperjones"][QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]

R-Dot-Yung

LIAR! HS has sexy textures

yea im sorry but Heavenly Sword is a very impressive game visually

I never said it wasn't impressive, I said it has low textures. You don't need high textures for good graphics although it helps. I think a lot of people are mixing textures with graphics. Textures is only one part of teh graphics, in the end art design and lighting play a much bigger role than textures.
LeDavester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LeDavester
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts
it's already better than 360's textures so why ask for better? oh well, i do agree, the ps3 needs better textures so it can kill the 360 even further.
mestizoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 mestizoman
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts
Ever? SpecialForcesOp
oblivion has crap textures:|
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Yes.

Any other questions?

Raidea

how big is the universe?

letmeupgrade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 letmeupgrade
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
[QUOTE="pimperjones"]

[QUOTE="river_rat3117"]ok it might have a bad gpu now, but isnt sony also trying to use the cell as a gpu also, im pretty sure killzone2 is supposed to be using the gpu in the ps3 and the one made on the cell, the built in one for smaller things and the cell one for the bigger stuff, dont mind if i sound stupid im not that great with this stuff, but i think im right.river_rat3117

which is why we get the bad ports, and until they use it we will have bad textures, but once they get that together they should be on par if not better than the 360's

Isn't that going to strain the CPU(CELL),wasn't that the big advantage over 360 better artificial intelligence and physic, more smarter enemies on screen then 360.

river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 river_rat3117
[QUOTE="river_rat3117"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]

[QUOTE="river_rat3117"]ok it might have a bad gpu now, but isnt sony also trying to use the cell as a gpu also, im pretty sure killzone2 is supposed to be using the gpu in the ps3 and the one made on the cell, the built in one for smaller things and the cell one for the bigger stuff, dont mind if i sound stupid im not that great with this stuff, but i think im right.letmeupgrade

Isn't that going to strain the CPU(CELL),wasn't that the big advantage over 360 better artificial intelligence and physic, more smarter enemies on screen then 360.

wasnt the whole AI thing false, but all we can do is wait till e3 and see how killzone goes about doing it. and yes i get it im a cow and said "wait" get over it
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Ever? SpecialForcesOp

Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet. Answer is yes.

Gzus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gzus666
Member since 2007 • 2304 Posts
[QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. SpecialForcesOp

since when does the video ram have that much to do with textures? i have a 8800GTS 320 on my comp, and i will be able to run Crysis full blast at 1680X1050 as i do with COH without a problem. in fact they say crysis will run extremely well on a high end 7 series card with 256mb of ram, so not sure i see anyones point with the vram argument.

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
[QUOTE="munu9"]

It is split and the PS3 OS takes 96 MB total. The 360 OS takes 32 MB. The reason it that Sony doesn't have the software expertise of Microsoft.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pimperjones

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. Gzus666

since when does the video ram have that much to do with textures? i have a 8800GTS 320 on my comp, and i will be able to run Crysis full blast at 1680X1050 as i do with COH without a problem. in fact they say crysis will run extremely well on a high end 7 series card with 256mb of ram, so not sure i see anyones point with the vram argument.

Ram has everything to do with textures end of story.
Gzus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gzus666

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. Berserker_2

It is split and the PS3 OS takes 96 MB total. The 360 OS takes 32 MB. The reason it that Sony doesn't have the software expertise of Microsoft.

HAHAHAHA, software expertise? classic. yea, windows was always so wonderful at managing resources and memory, perfect company to make a better OS. this is the best quote i think ive ever seen. lemme guess, dont know much about computers?

Gzus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gzus666
[QUOTE="Gzus666"][QUOTE="SpecialForcesOp"][QUOTE="munu9"]

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]With the amount of ram the PS3 has I doubt it. pimperjones

Ram has everything to do with textures end of story.

really, then why do the 8800GTS 320 and 640 perform exactly the same on low resolutions, and the only time the 640 starts to shine is when it goes into the higher resolutions. looks like every tech review site and benchmark wins, and you lose. next time try to form an actual argument, not just your silly opinion