Will Amazon FireTv be the system to make android TV popular?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

Amazon already got a lot of attention from their amazon fire Y=Tv multi-media game system. So many of JUST THE controllers were pre-ordered (or so they say) that Amazon is delaying a lot of newer purchases ship dates until the 24.

This may finally be the first android entertainment device to cut into the gaming market without failing. (Well, there's no proof MOJO failed, but it's been awhile and we still don't have figures so I am assuming it flopped.)

You have to keep in mind Amazon is a big company and then there is the growing Amazon Game Studios.

#2 Posted by Basinboy (11406 posts) -

It's a "me too" device; both Apple TV and Roku are perfectly suitable for the task and have already kinda captured the audience who's into these devices (I guess there is a group submerged in the Amazon ecosystem who will jump on board but there's nothing particularly compelling about Fire TV). Until Amazon wants to actually produce a high-quality game project, there are other, superior options for both streaming and gaming.

#3 Edited by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

It's a "me too" device; both Apple TV and Roku are perfectly suitable for the task and have already kinda captured the audience who's into these devices (I guess there is a group submerged in the Amazon ecosystem who will jump on board but there's nothing particularly compelling about Fire TV). Until Amazon wants to actually produce a high-quality game project, there are other, superior options for both streaming and gaming.

You say this yet sales completely disagree with you. I am not saying that you are wrong about being a "me too" device may hurt Amazons box. But to act like people except Amazon freaks won't jump in to it is crazy. Roku actually does not have as big of an audience that people think. Same with Apple TV. Amazon is a big company that is selling a voice controlled Stream box with a "dedicated" GPU for $99, and a Controller that is on heavy back order.

Will they flop? Maybe, maybe no, but your examples don't make sense for proving probability for failure.

With that being said, Amazon isn't really pushing it outside their main site, we;ll see how far they get. Amazon is one of those companies that announces numbers.

#4 Posted by Basinboy (11406 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@Basinboy said:

You say this yet sales completely disagree with you. I am not saying that you are wrong about being a "me too" device may hurt Amazons box. But to act like people except Amazon freaks won't jump in to it is crazy. Roku actually does not have as big of an audience that people think. Same with Apple TV. Amazon is a big company that is selling a voice controlled Stream box with a "dedicated" GPU for $99, and a Controller that is on heavy back order.

Will they flop? Maybe, maybe no, but your examples don't make sense for proving probability for failure.

With that being said, Amazon isn't really pushing it outside their main site, we;ll see how far they get. Amazon is one of those companies that announces numbers.

Let Amazon tout their sales - the end experience isn't anything I haven't had elsewhere.

But if you haven't bought a streambox yet (and have in interest in the product category), Fire TV isn't a bad choice. The real value is the offerings the Amazon ecosystem grants and - again, if you're neck deep in it - the Fire TV will provide an additional set of incentives.

#5 Posted by gamevet77 (342 posts) -

It's # 1 on amazons best sellers list (they are the #1 retailer)