Will a sports game ever win GOTY?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheFlameProof
Member since 2007 • 438 Posts

You know, I'm really tired of spots games being swept under the rug. Sports games have never been given a fair shake at GOTY honors and I think it MIGHT be because "hardcore" gamers don't think that these are real games. It's almost become part of gaming culture to not take sports games seriously. It's sickening because I honestly think that NBA 2K13 is better than any game that has came out this year.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

Nope.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Nope, they are not creative enough, and almost the same game each year.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheFlameProof

Nope.

MaskedPlayer
I like how there is absolutely no justification to your answer. Fantastic. Very intelligent response.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

No, and thank god for that.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Not until they reach the highest level of imitation. As fun as NBA 2K13, put it next to a real basketball game and it is far away from touching the amount of things that happen in that. Because they have to imitate something we see everyday, they often get blown by quicker as compared to new IPs. It doesn't help that most of them are yearly. I think FIFA would have the best chance though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
If FIFA 09 didn't, then I don't think any sports game ever will.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheFlameProof

Nope, they are not creative enough, and almost the same game each year.

ultimate-k
Not creative enough? It takes tremendous amounts of creativity and attention to detail to get some of the collision of players in NBA 2K13 to match it's real life counterpart with freakishly terrific accuracy.
Avatar image for TrueAmerican007
TrueAmerican007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TrueAmerican007
Member since 2012 • 671 Posts
Skyrim won, and that game was a hiking simulator.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not until they reach the highest level of imitation. As fun as NBA 2K13, put it next to a real basketball game and it is far away from touching the amount of things that happen in that. Because they have to imitate something we see everyday, they often get blown by quicker as compared to new IPs. It doesn't help that most of them are yearly. I think FIFA would have the best chance though.

You don't need to be perfect to win GOTY, just better than any other game that came out that year. I think NBA 2K13 has done that.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blabadon
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not until they reach the highest level of imitation. As fun as NBA 2K13, put it next to a real basketball game and it is far away from touching the amount of things that happen in that. Because they have to imitate something we see everyday, they often get blown by quicker as compared to new IPs. It doesn't help that most of them are yearly. I think FIFA would have the best chance though.

You don't need to be perfect to win GOTY, just better than any other game that came out that year. I think NBA 2K13 has done that.

But is it better collectively to GameSpot's editors, as compared to one of the freshest experiences of the generation like Dishonored? Especially when the sports fans on the staff can easily see that the real game of basketball is not emulated in the games as well as it can be and that it's still very similar to last year's game in gameplay?
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Lol, if that ever happens then gaming truly hit rock bottom.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Better question is, who would ever think a sports game is GOTY? Oh wait, TC.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheFlameProof

[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Not until they reach the highest level of imitation. As fun as NBA 2K13, put it next to a real basketball game and it is far away from touching the amount of things that happen in that. Because they have to imitate something we see everyday, they often get blown by quicker as compared to new IPs. It doesn't help that most of them are yearly. I think FIFA would have the best chance though.Blabadon

But is it better collectively to GameSpot's editors, as compared to one of the freshest experiences of the generation like Dishonored? Especially when the sports fans on the staff can easily see that the real game of basketball is not emulated in the games as well as it can be and that it's still very similar to last year's game in gameplay?

Well obviously the game is going to feel somewhat similar to last years but you can say that about any game being similar to other games in the genre. Sports games make micro-improvements every year. Regular games in other genres make improvements every couple of years. So when you think about it, sports games and regular games are improving at about the same rate but sports game improvements SEEM less dramatic because you get them as they are being innovated. This shouldn't mean they should be not counted for GOTY runnings.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="TheFlameProof"] You don't need to be perfect to win GOTY, just better than any other game that came out that year. I think NBA 2K13 has done that.TheFlameProof

Well obviously the game is going to feel somewhat similar to last years but you can say that about any game being similar to other games in the genre. Sports games make micro-improvements every year. Regular games in other genres make improvements every couple of years. So when you think about it, sports games and regular games are improving at about the same rate but sports game improvements SEEM less dramatic because you get them as they are being innovated. This shouldn't mean they should be not counted for GOTY runnings.

In the runnings? Sure, because they get closer and closer to the real game's emulation. But they're not improving at the rates of an industry that demands new IPs when a generation starts, like now, and that's why they won't win. Madden, as much as I loved seeing my man Megatron on the cover, needs a big change and the new physics is the right way. NBA 2K needs to focus on increasing the tempo of the players, some animations, and the AI of all players on the court. MLB The Show is an animation beast, but needs some better way of getting intensity in more of the games. FIFA is pretty much the closest thing to its real-life counterpart as right now, although I haven't played Top Spin 4. Don't get me wrong though. I really love sports games and am more than willing for them to win GOTY, but that won't happen without some overhauls as compared to a fantastic new IP like Sleeping Dogs. I do wish to see that happen on next gen consoles and I now really want to play Top Spin 4.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

You know, I'm really tired of spots games being swept under the rug. Sports games have never been given a fair shake at GOTY honors and I think it MIGHT be because "hardcore" gamers don't think that these are real games. It's almost become part of gaming culture to not take sports games seriously. It's sickening because I honestly think that NBA 2K13 is better than any game that has came out this year.

TheFlameProof

Get used to it. I use to think the same way about flight sims.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I think it could if it were a new IP, something that the developers created, that wouldnt be possible in real life.

JameMcCabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JameMcCabe
Member since 2012 • 326 Posts
I don't see why not. Even though they are repetitive, they are very fun and engaging games that bring people together. I don't want another nerdy game to win this year, please...
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Probably not. Too bad, since 2K11 My Player mode is probably one of my top 3 rpgs this gen.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
FIFA 12 was amazing, definitely one of my favorite games of last year. I haven't played 13 yet but this year has been abysmal, so it may well become my GotY.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

NBA 2k13 is the true GOTY in the eyes of gamers.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

Mr_BillGates
I've never played the 2K games but I've heard amazing things. Do you think a non-basketball fan would appreciate it, the same way I've known non-soccer fans enjoy FIFA?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

enterawesome
I've never played the 2K games but I've heard amazing things. Do you think a non-basketball fan would appreciate it, the same way I've known non-soccer fans enjoy FIFA?

Definitely. Its stylish presentation and wonderful way of using the normal gameplay as a tutorial is great. I managed to learn how to play 2K11 within an hour and hit 80 points in my first game, which isn't terrible for a noob.
chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts
Nope. A niche game can never win GoTY. Sorry, Forza fans. Sports games are designed for people that like those sports. I don't care how much you guys talk about FIFA, if you don't like Soccer you're not going to enjoy it. It may be better than NBA 2K, but since I'm a basketball fan that's the only sports game I play. Hell, if I had a second choice it would be Madden, and we can all agree it's the worst big budget sports title this gen.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

TheFlameProof
2k13 is the best sim sports game ever made, I think.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

If THPS 2 didn't win it in 2000 after getting a 9.9/10 I doubt any sports game ever will.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheFlameProof

If THPS 2 didn't win it in 2000 after getting a 9.9/10 I doubt any sports game ever will.

scoots9
Yeah. Tony hawks pro skater was one of the best ever to do it.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blabadon

scoots9
THPS3 got a 10 out of 10. In 2002.
chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts
NBA 2K13 really needs to be in the GoTY discussion. Think about all it offers: -5v5 player online.  Me and buddies play this when we get shooter fatigue.  -A deep RPG system that actually  embarrasses other "traditional" RPG with its options. -Probably the deepest control scheme of any sports game, yet simple enough for anybody to pick up. The entire game can be played with nothing but dual analogs if that's what you want to do. -Want to just do a mini game without all that other crap?  Just do the 3 point shootout. Even your Grandma could play it and enjoy herself.
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Madden won GOTY on the VGA's in 2005.

campzor

Forum Posts