WiiU Owners Are Getting Crampy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 ldustin
Member since 2014 • 133 Posts

The Fusion is certainly not real but the speculation about a new platform from Nintendo certainly is and it's got some WiiU owners pretty much in a state of crimestop (that's where you can't acknowledge a topic/truth and just ignore it (from 1984)).

How do you think WiiU owners will respond if Nintendo really does go forward with a new console in 2015 and makes Zelda the launch title? Will these ardent members of the Nintendo Defense Force turn on Nintendo like they saw Iwata kissing another woman?

These fans have spent the last year arguing to the whole internet gaming community that the WiiU is going to rebound and there is a conspiracy in the media against Nintendo. There is no bias against Nintendo-- there is only Nintendo not listening to the desires of 95% of the industry and that is why they lost 17% of their stock value and $3 billion the other day.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

@ldustin said:

How do you think WiiU owners will respond if Nintendo really does go forward with a new console in 2015 and makes Zelda the launch title? Will these ardent members of the Nintendo Defense Force turn on Nintendo like they saw Iwata kissing another woman?

Frankly, yes. Rushing new systems like that is asking for trouble. SEGA CD/32X level (except without being an add on acting like another console). Not only will it piss off their audiences, but it will piss off their own developers and kill off ANY chance they had left of ever getting third party support.

Not to mention if they release a new console by that point, nobody will care as it will be a time where consumers will be too adapted to the other systems.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ldustin

@nintendoboy16: But it's not a case of Nintendo closing shop on WiiU-- it would still be there, as a console that plays Wii and WiiU titles.

Nintendo would be announcing a new console when there are only 4 million people with a WiiU in the world (only 2 million in the US). They are looking to create another platform, like the Wii, which sells 15 million units in the first year.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It seems like you read some mariokart64fan posts, projected his views onto the entire Nintendo fan base, and then decided to make a thread about it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I would be disappointed, then I will proceed to purchase the new console.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Tho I really doubt Nintendo would release a new console, it will kill off Wii U..Nintendo struggle to support 2 consoles - Wii U & 3DS let alone 3. I'd be really disappointed if they did decide to bring a new console in 2015...& won't be buying their new console. Next $$$ Im spending will be on PS4. :p

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

All Wii U needs to do is drop the price like they did with the 3DS. $199 and the Wii U would sell like hot cakes and leave the Xbox One in the dust.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendoboy16

@ldustin said:

@nintendoboy16: But it's not a case of Nintendo closing shop on WiiU-- it would still be there, as a console that plays Wii and WiiU titles.

Nintendo would be announcing a new console when there are only 4 million people with a WiiU in the world (only 2 million in the US). They are looking to create another platform, like the Wii, which sells 15 million units in the first year.

Uh, yeah it is. Nintendo has always killed off their systems in placement of the new ones.

No kidding they're looking to create another platform. This is something they've done for years. Last I recall, they've been doing R&D for Wii U since mid-last gen.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

All Wii U needs to do is drop the price like they did with the 3DS. $199 and the Wii U would sell like hot cakes and leave the Xbox One in the dust.

You think so? The WiiU problems seem to be stacked. Obviously a price like that would help immensely, but I just don't know. 3rd parties seemed to jump ship quicker than ever this time around. Strong 1st party titles don't seem to be having much affect. And the biggest problem I've noticed personally is public perception. I still run into a lot of people that don't even know what it is. And the ones that do pretty much think it's a bad console to own. I'm not talking about the typical angry kids on a forum either, these are people that don't even know that fanboys exist.

Its funny because I think its a fine console and I believe it was easily avoidable things that could have made a difference. Going with a different name, investing in some good marketing early on and striving for some better launch window titles could have made all the difference.

They had a whole year to establish the system and they failed to do so. I think its going to be a tough battle for sales going forward even with a price drop.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Bigboi500 said:

You think so? The WiiU problems seem to be stacked. Obviously a price like that would help immensely, but I just don't know. 3rd parties seemed to jump ship quicker than ever this time around. Strong 1st party titles don't seem to be having much affect. And the biggest problem I've noticed personally is public perception. I still run into a lot of people that don't even know what it is. And the ones that do pretty much think it's a bad console to own. I'm not talking about the typical angry kids on a forum either, these are people that don't even know that fanboys exist.

Its funny because I think its a fine console and I believe it was easily avoidable things that could have made a difference. Going with a different name, investing in some good marketing early on and striving for some better launch window titles could have made all the difference.

They had a whole year to establish the system and they failed to do so. I think its going to be a tough battle for sales going forward even with a price drop.

Nintendo fucked up, big time with both the release of the 3DS and the Wii U. Now I'm not saying the Wii U will recover like 3DS did, 'cause it wont, but a significant price drop, along with titles like MK8 and the new Super Smash Bros will help it recover a lot, and then Zelda U and Project X will convince a lot of people to buy a Wii U.

Being half the price or less of the Xbox One, which is only available in 13 markets and competing directly with the PS4, I think the Wii U stands an excellent chance of out selling Xbox One.

The CoD crown has already gotten their XB1s, and since their launch is over I think they'll have a hard time moving systems with casual gamers and other groups.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

All they would have to do is drop the lcd controller and they could make that price point. However Nintendo has a patent for that tech and they want to make games to show developers how to use it hoping it will become a standard. Then they could get royalties when other people use that tech. Right now if they dropped the lcd rumble game pad all the effort would go to waste and they would not get a return on that investment.

Nintendo if they had not had that useless lcd could have built a much better console. All that R&D money and production cost could have went into the hardware that actually matters for making games. The os would have been smaller and faster also and the gamepad would have much better battery life.

If the wii u fails it will be due to their choices. Like you said a 199.99 wii u is much better than a 299.99 wii u. At this point I personally think the leadership should be fired.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Nintendo made a mistake with the WiiU. Truth is, they had a year head start, but what they should have done was waited another year, released along side Sony and MS, and released a console of comparable hardware specs. Waitign an extra year would mean cheaper components for newer hardware. Even if their online isn't up to snuff, having a console with matching or nearly matching hardware gives 3rd party devs an opportunity to port games over, without sacrificing too much.

Think that game "alone in the dark" which on the ps3/360 was fleshed out, but on the Wii, was gimped and all of the open worldness that it sort of had was limited down to corridors. no 3rd party dev wants to waste time making a game that doesn't live up to its full potential, and gamers know that when they play and thus pay for the games. I don't see them releasing a new console before 2016.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendoboy16

@Phazevariance said:

Nintendo made a mistake with the WiiU. Truth is, they had a year head start, but what they should have done was waited another year, released along side Sony and MS, and released a console of comparable hardware specs. Waitign an extra year would mean cheaper components for newer hardware. Even if their online isn't up to snuff, having a console with matching or nearly matching hardware gives 3rd party devs an opportunity to port games over, without sacrificing too much.

Think that game "alone in the dark" which on the ps3/360 was fleshed out, but on the Wii, was gimped and all of the open worldness that it sort of had was limited down to corridors. no 3rd party dev wants to waste time making a game that doesn't live up to its full potential, and gamers know that when they play and thus pay for the games. I don't see them releasing a new console before 2016.

Even though that Alone in the Dark game wasn't well received on ANY console? Even the 360 version seems to suck. It looks like something closer to that Uwe Boll film. Couldn't you pick a better example?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@ldustin said:

The Fusion is certainly not real but the speculation about a new platform from Nintendo certainly is and it's got some WiiU owners pretty much in a state of crimestop (that's where you can't acknowledge a topic/truth and just ignore it (from 1984)).

These fans have spent the last year arguing to the whole internet gaming community that the WiiU is going to rebound and there is a conspiracy in the media against Nintendo. There is no bias against Nintendo-- there is only Nintendo not listening to the desires of 95% of the industry and that is why they lost 17% of their stock value and $3 billion the other day.

Nintendo Fusion is completely made up unless stated other wise. At this point I will not believe in any new Rumor unless it came from Neogaf, Sad to say.

If Nintendo makes a New Console in 2015 then it better be stronger than the Competition. If not expect Nintendo games on other platforms by summer of 2016.

The Last Year we didn't know how truly deep Nintendo was with the WiiU. The Numbers are in now and everyone knows they are in deep crap. Restructuring is being made and that's a fact. When will we see things being made? Unsure Time will Tell.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@ldustin said:

Nintendo Fusion is completely made up unless stated other wise. At this point I will not believe in any new Rumor unless it came from Neogaf, Sad to say.

If Nintendo makes a New Console in 2015 then it better be stronger than the Competition. If not expect Nintendo games on other platforms by summer of 2016.

The Last Year we didn't know how truly deep Nintendo was with the WiiU. The Numbers are in now and everyone knows they are in deep crap. Restructuring is being made and that's a fact. When will we see things being made? Unsure Time will Tell.

It'll take a lot more than that.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

pfft, no.

Nintendo isn't some God that's untouchable here. They're losing money with nearly every WiiU sold or made. Even the 3DS the Highest Selling System of Last year was not meeting their Expectations.

If Nintendo decides to suddenly go out and make a new system for 2015 that's more money spent and possibly more money wasted if consumers and 3rd party don't buy.

Nintendo is already getting pressured enough in today's Video Gaming Press to go ahead and start Releasing Titles on other Platforms and their Stocks are already at an all time low.

Things can and will go way south for Nintendo if things don't change and Summer of 2016 is a realistic date for Nintendo to go Third Party.

This is coming from a long term Ninty Fan.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

pfft, no.

Nintendo isn't some God that's untouchable here. They're losing money with nearly every WiiU sold or made. Even the 3DS the Highest Selling System of Last year was not meeting their Expectations.

If Nintendo decides to suddenly go out and make a new system for 2015 that's more money spent and possibly more money wasted if consumers and 3rd party don't buy.

Nintendo is already getting pressured enough in today's Video Gaming Press to go ahead and start Releasing Titles on other Platforms and their Stocks are already at an all time low.

Things can and will go way south for Nintendo if things don't change and Summer of 2016 is a realistic date for Nintendo to go Third Party.

This is coming from a long term Ninty Fan.

They may not be gods, but it's still a low possibility for that to happen even with the losses. Just because the press pushes it, doesn't mean it will happen. As I've always said: It's better for them to retreat from the industry and find another business (they've done it before).

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

They may not be gods, but it's still a low possibility for that to happen even with the losses. Just because the press pushes it, doesn't mean it will happen. As I've always said: It's better for them to retreat from the industry and find another business (they've done it before).

Nobody doubts Nintendo's skill at making quality software it's the hardware and online part they have issues with. 3rd parties don't have to worry so much about platforms just the software. They still have the handheld market on lock so the won't be totally out the game.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: yup, that's a big no-no.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I don't really care at this point. Nintendo should just ride this console generation out and time their next console launch to coincide with MS and Sony instead of jumping the gun big time.

As someone above me said it would be a mistake on par with the Sega CD/32X if they released a new console in the next couple years.

Either that or concentrate on handhelds. It's definitely the only market they excel at.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ldustin

@ConanTheStoner said:

It seems like you read some mariokart64fan posts, projected his views onto the entire Nintendo fan base, and then decided to make a thread about it.

I havn't read his posts but I've been on a Nintendo fan site forum; where they have isolated themselves from "the conspiracy," and they have been denying that Nintendo needs a change right up until Iwata nuked the stock the other day-- now they are just ignoring what the rest of the internet gaming community is talking about.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

They're probably a little bloated as well.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think Nintendo should launch a new console in 2017. That would be 5 years for the Wii U, which is respectable, and it would allow them to put out something more powerful than the PS4, XB1 with a 2-3 (maybe more) year head start.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

what makes you certain of Nintendo is making a new home console? They could at least redesign the WiiU/pad and sell it cheaper. And I'm not getting crampy. I am actually happy we are getting DK next month and Mario Kart, and Smash this year. X some other time as well. Crampy are those who bought X1 that who will see the most devastated highest disappointment reviews of the most anticipated game on X1, Titanfall shall FALL!!! HAHA

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Honestly this. I bet most fans would do this too regardless of what they say on the internet.

Do I need a flame shield for this?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

im guessing 5-7 years from when it was released before we see a new console.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@fgjnfgh said:

what makes you certain of Nintendo is making a new home console? They could at least redesign the WiiU/pad and sell it cheaper. And I'm not getting crampy. I am actually happy we are getting DK next month and Mario Kart, and Smash this year. X some other time as well. Crampy are those who bought X1 that who will see the most devastated highest disappointment reviews of the most anticipated game on X1, Titanfall shall FALL!!! HAHA

How did you dream up Titan Fall out of this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I doubt that Nintendo would want to alienate the 4 mill people having a Wii U by doing a console swap that fast, that said it will ikely be discontinued faster then average, 4-5 years.

That alone might not be a bad posision for Nintendo overall.

the x1 and ps4 is said to have close to a 10 year lifespan, if Nintendo in 2-3 years release a console which makes the two others look like a joke (which is not that hard considering their specs). Then Nintendo could bounce back.

The Wii U has more problems then the Pad, or name, the hardware in it was not exactly wisely put together. so it had a ton of odds stacked against it. They can make more then a few sales with the guessed 2-3 years on, and where I live it is allready now cheaper then a 360 of PS3. So I could see how it could gain enough marketshare to slug it through a shoter 4-5 year lifecycle.

Edit: All that said, the Wii U IS the console of all the current GEN I have had most fun with btw: Go Figure :\ZombiU wa snot halfbad, and Nintendo does know how to make games, if just they would make a freakin Fatal Frame 5 ffs, the console is pretty much tailor made for it -.-

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By trugs26

@AznbkdX said:

@trugs26 said:

Honestly this. I bet most fans would do this too regardless of what they say on the internet.

I dunno if you need a flame shield. I just want to play good Nintendo games in the end. If that means the system fails, and they release another system, then all I can hope for is the system to suceed so I don't have to fork up money again to play the games.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#30 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

its not going to happen for 3-4 years so why does it matter tc, you and the rest of the people who believe nintendos just gonna throw it out next year are dellusional , its in development , it has been SINCE WIIU CAME OUT , its no secret every nintendo console starts their development cycle as soon as the current one is released,

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@AznbkdX said:

@trugs26 said:

I dunno if you need a flame shield. I just want to play good Nintendo games in the end. If that means the system fails, and they release another system, then all I can hope for is the system to suceed so I don't have to fork up money again to play the games.

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

It sucks but honestly I feel that most people are kidding themselves when they say this would be some Sega situation if they did this. I don't know, maybe I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that if Ninty brought out a couple flagship franchises that look good then all those fans who whine and complain about spending extra money will probably do it again only because they are mostly conditioned to.

I do think though that if they bring out another dud system this may not end as rosy as I said. It's not like we live in a Nintendo only gaming world any more; fans will catch onto this bs again and there will be consequences.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trugs26

@AznbkdX said:

@trugs26 said:

@AznbkdX said:

@trugs26 said:

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

It sucks but honestly I feel that most people are kidding themselves when they say this would be some Sega situation if they did this. I don't know, maybe I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that if Ninty brought out a couple flagship franchises that look good then all those fans who whine and complain about spending extra money will probably do it again only because they are mostly conditioned to.

I do think though that if they bring out another dud system this may not end as rosy as I said. It's not like we live in a Nintendo only gaming world any more; fans will catch onto this bs again and there will be consequences.

That's true, and that's why I think they need to ride it out. Even if it is a failure. They can't be known for releasing dud systems, otherwise even their fanbase will eventually give up on buying it. I think if anything, they can afford to do it every now and again, but not consistently in a row. For example, Virtual Boy. If the N64 was also a dud, and they released another system a year after the release, then the trust will fall. So with that said, maybe they can afford to do it with the Wii U, but if the next one fails, they really do need to ride it out.

Personally I think they will ride out the Wii U. At least try to get a 4 year life out of it at a minimum. If it sells 20 mil, all is not lost. They have a decent war chest, so they can afford a crap generation of sales. If they can afford that, then I don't mind at all: GCN was considered a fail in terms of sales, but I loved the games on that system. That's all I want from the Wii U.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@ldustin said:

Frankly, yes. Rushing new systems like that is asking for trouble. SEGA CD/32X level (except without being an add on acting like another console). Not only will it piss off their audiences, but it will piss off their own developers and kill off ANY chance they had left of ever getting third party support.

Not to mention if they release a new console by that point, nobody will care as it will be a time where consumers will be too adapted to the other systems.

Um.. No it's not. If your going to compare to Sega do it accurately with the Dreamcast and/or Genesis/Mega drive depending on how you want to swing it. Sega Saturn is actually fairly comparable to the Wii U situation even.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ldustin

The most accurate comparison for the WiiU is the Virtual Boy. What Nintendo needs now is their N64.