WIiU is more powerful than 360/Ps3

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Juice_24 (851 posts) -

it seems that after the online tear down of the wiiU people jumoed to conclusions a little too fast. new imformation is leakign out. and it appreas wiiU is significantly more power than the haters are letting on.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508802

Thats it, the Wii U has been finally released, and while a plethora are enjoying new game experiences and interesting Gamepad applications, a smaller but rather vocal number of gamers on the forums, is mixed regarding the technical viability of the console for other productions than Nintendos. These concerns stem mainly from several laborious ports to say the least, lukewarm comments on the CPU by 4A Games or DICE aggravated by its disclosed frequency and apparent architecture roots, and the systems first teardowns. Their results revealed the type of main memory (RAM) used, which disappointed many techies. Lets dig further into this affair, with exclusive words from developers stating that its not an issue. There are several important parameters about this RAM. Among others, the capacity, the latency and the bandwidth, which is the amount of data per second read or written in the memory by other components, calculated by multiplying the width of the interface connecting those parts (the X bit bus that you may have encountered on spec lists), and the frequency at which the data is transferred (see here for more information on the topic). For the first point, the Wii U got 2GB of which 1GB is set aside for games, its twice the 512MB of the Xbox360 and PS3. Before the release of its next-gen rivals, the Wii U is the console with the most memory, so much that developers like Ubisofts Michel Ancel praised this volume. Its the same flattering portray for latency, the main recipient of Shinens Manfred Linzner compliments on the system in our exclusive interview. ..."There are four 4Gb (512MB) Hynix DDR3-1600 devices surrounding the Wii Us MCM (Multi Chip Module). Memory is shared between the CPU and GPU, and if Im decoding the DRAM part numbers correctly it looks like these are 16-bit devices giving the Wii U a total of 12.8GB/s of peak memory bandwidth."... This is clearly a nice leap from the 5.6GB/s Wiis bandwidth, but roughly 40% slower than the Xbox360 and PS3. Facts

1 Generally speaking, although being a non-negligible parameter, RAM bandwidth is less vital than the GPU power or the memory amount, especially as the Wii U is more targeting 720p resolution for its content, thus requiring less fillrate and bandwidth than in 1080p. The anonymous source involved in this article himself put this criterion into perspective, declaring:

"In general all those DRAM numbers are not of much importance. Much more for example are the size and speed of caches for each core in the CPU. Because DRAM is always slow compared to caches speed."

Caches are faster but way smaller pools of memory than the RAM where repeatedly accessed data is stored, and our anonymous developer lauded the Wii U CPU ones in our little chat. So those caches should ease to a certain degree the slow RAM issue for the CPU. Then what about the GPU?

2 The Wii U supposedly includes 32MB of embedded DRAM, a costly memory integrated on the same die as components, apparently on the GPU for the Wii U, like on Wii or Xbox 360 (for the latter, it was on a daughter die but on the same package as the GPU). The gains of this kind of memory compared to traditional stand-alone RAM chips are huge in pretty much all areas, like the latency and the bandwidth (feasibly reaching XXXGB/s rates). You might consider this eDram like another cache, but unlike the CPU one, it can be accessed by the GPU. Its an efficient solution to spare the RAM of large bandwidth usages which are mandatory for the image treatments handled by the GPU, as they will occur on this specific memory instead. Here are the motives from Xbox 360 architects behind its adoption: In summary, The 32M of ram directly on the die, makes up many times over for the supposed slow speed of the wiiUs main memory.The WiiU in essence is alot more effiecint machne. with tons more RAM. discuss
#2 Posted by Fossil- (351 posts) -

2 month old console is more powerful than 6 year old consoles. Congratulations :roll:

#3 Posted by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -
I think everybody knows this. Of course just the fact that for some poeple it's even questionable is what is pathetic about the Wii-U system. A real next gen system should be plainly and obviously better. What the hell kind of benchmark in 2013 is it to be "more powerful than 360ps3"? That's just pathetic.
#4 Posted by d_parker (1715 posts) -

Uhm, what about the fact that most people's phones have a larger harddrive than what the WiiU ships with?

I'll take a less powerfull PS3 with a 500gb harddrive any day of the week.

#5 Posted by clyde46 (44827 posts) -
Dat sig :lol:
#6 Posted by Chozofication (2757 posts) -

Your sig is hilarious.

At best, it's about 2x Xbox 360.

#7 Posted by g0ddyX (3905 posts) -

epic sig

#8 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

I spent all of my time in this thread watching your sig.

Awesome stuff. :lol:

#9 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

2 month old console is more powerful than 6 year old consoles. Congratulations :roll:

Fossil-

Bingo. Next Xbox/PS4 will destroy the Wii U.

#10 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

Just compare 360 and PS3 launch games to Wii U launch games/ thread. I have them all and its easy to see that the Wii U is more powerful but I wanna see some OMG games soon.....

#11 Posted by Silenthps (7274 posts) -
#12 Posted by AtariKidX (6208 posts) -
Awesome sig.Casuals....lolol
#13 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

Fossil-
This.
#14 Posted by Chozofication (2757 posts) -

Just compare 360 and PS3 launch games to Wii U launch games/ thread. I have them all and its easy to see that the Wii U is more powerful but I wanna see some OMG games soon.....

xOMGITSJASONx

The next 3d mario game and whatever Retro's doing will show what it can really do.

#15 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

[QUOTE="xOMGITSJASONx"]

Chozofication

The next 3d mario game and whatever Retro's doing will show what it can really do.

I know man I can't wait for the real first party games to arrive afterall its why you buy any Nintendo system. Personally I've had a lot of fun so far playing ZombieU and Nintendo Land.

#16 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -
So what's the Wii Us excuse for AC looking like &^%$ on it when compared to PS3 and 360?
#17 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
tldr good sig everyone who is relevant knows wiiu is more powerful if they say otherwise, they're joking or aren't relevant people still disappointing that nintendo didnt go the power route this gen
#18 Posted by Socijalisticka (1621 posts) -

Irrelevant to the quality of a console.

#19 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Eh, yay?

#20 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

I think everybody knows this. Of course just the fact that for some poeple it's even questionable is what is pathetic about the Wii-U system. A real next gen system should be plainly and obviously better. What the hell kind of benchmark in 2013 is it to be "more powerful than 360ps3"? That's just pathetic. 2Chalupas

That's the only benchmark to classify as a next-gen console: Be more powerful than your previous gen competition.

#21 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Who cares how strong it is compared to the 360 and PS3 how strong it is next to to the ps4 and 720 is what matters if the rumored specs are true it gets destroyed by them. It will be another wii and Nintendo will once again miss out on crucial third party support one devlopers move to making games targeting the ps4 and 720.

#22 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

Who cares how strong it is compared to the 360 and PS3 how strong it is next to to the ps4 and 720 is what matters if the rumored specs are true it gets destroyed by them nintendo will once again miss out on crucial third party support one devlopers move enmass to the ps4 and 720.

DJ_Headshot
Which is what most rational people have been saying since the Wii U was unveiled.
#23 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
lol last gen consoles. You sheep only have a few months before you go back into your caves when the ps4/720 get released.
#24 Posted by sonic_spark (4599 posts) -

Uhm, what about the fact that most people's phones have a larger harddrive than what the WiiU ships with?

d_parker

Well 1. That's just stupid. The selling point for you is the larger harddrive? WiiU supports external harddrives, regardless of brand. 2. How the hell do you use 500gigs of space on a PS3?

#25 Posted by super600 (30277 posts) -

Who cares how strong it is compared to the 360 and PS3 how strong it is next to to the ps4 and 720 is what matters if the rumored specs are true it gets destroyed by them. It will be another wii and Nintendo will once again miss out on crucial third party support one devlopers move to making games targeting the ps4 and 720.

DJ_Headshot

You mean maybe 3X-6X difference between all three consoles. There is no way the next xbox and ps systems will make the WiiU look like the Wii.

#26 Posted by super600 (30277 posts) -

Anyway I already knew this. There are so many ways to get past most of the bottlenecks in this console that the bottlenecks don't really matter that much when you optimize the game you're creating for the WiiU.

#27 Posted by Chozofication (2757 posts) -

DJ_Headshot

Well you buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo, not multiplats.

But the main thing that will hold the Wii U back from getting multiplats though will be the Cpu, the physics the PS4 and 720 will be capable of are going to be insane and the Wii U has an even weaker Cpu than the 360's.

Graphically though, Wii U should be able to get 720p multiplats with dialed down details if the game isn't doing anything crazy with physics.

#28 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

Fossil-
6-7+
#29 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I only care about the end result, which are the games. And looking at the end result, I am not seeing the power in the Wii U. You can throw all the articles you want at us, but until the games actually show it, the articles are pointless.
#30 Posted by deadruler08 (838 posts) -
Wii U launch game 2012. 360 launch game 2005...
#31 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

So what's the Wii Us excuse for AC looking like &^%$ on it when compared to PS3 and 360?Shielder7

Poor porting job I guess. The WiiU is clearly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Just because one developer screws up a port doesn't change that.

#32 Posted by WithoutGraceXII (1797 posts) -

Fossil-
Yea basically this.....the fact this is even a thing is sad.
#33 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
lmfao this thread
#35 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="d_parker"]

sonic_spark

Well 1. That's just stupid. The selling point for you is the larger harddrive? WiiU supports external harddrives, regardless of brand. 2. How the hell do you use 500gigs of space on a PS3?

It goes pretty quick if you buy a lot of your games and movies off of PSN.

#36 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20732 posts) -
More powerful than the PS3 yea, but not the 360.
#37 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22416 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shielder7"]So what's the Wii Us excuse for AC looking like &^%$ on it when compared to PS3 and 360?Link3301
Poor porting job I guess. The WiiU is clearly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Just because one developer screws up a port doesn't change that.

plus AC3 doesn't look any worse than the other versions. It's actually one of the few good wii u ports

#38 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -

Nice of you to notice Einstein.

also i love that sig.

#39 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

I think everybody knows this. Of course just the fact that for some poeple it's even questionable is what is pathetic about the Wii-U system. A real next gen system should be plainly and obviously better. What the hell kind of benchmark in 2013 is it to be "more powerful than 360ps3"? That's just pathetic. 2Chalupas

When all multipltforms look worst or way worst than xbox 360, anyone would assume WiiU is weaker than xbox 360

And it probably is

#40 Posted by Tarask_Coral (4 posts) -
We can't say yet if WiiU is more powerful or not. But we are sure that WiiU is not very powerful. I think we have to wait next nintendo games to see what it can be possible to do.
#41 Posted by Juice_24 (851 posts) -

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]I think everybody knows this. Of course just the fact that for some poeple it's even questionable is what is pathetic about the Wii-U system. A real next gen system should be plainly and obviously better. What the hell kind of benchmark in 2013 is it to be "more powerful than 360ps3"? That's just pathetic. loosingENDS

When all multipltforms look worst or way worst than xbox 360, anyone would assume WiiU is weaker than xbox 360

And it probably is

So by your logic, tony hawk 360 looks = or worse than x-box? = x-box is more powerful?

#42 Posted by AtariKidX (6208 posts) -
And that is the reason that AC look worst on it compared to PS3 and 360.Bravo....next gen is here.......what a joke.lolololol
#43 Posted by KBFloYd (13136 posts) -

Fossil-

its more powerful, less power consuming, much more compact(smaller console), and costs about the same as a 360/ps3..

and better made....no RROD and YLOD..

#44 Posted by GotNugz (655 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fossil-"]

KBFloYd

its more powerful, less power consuming, much more compact(smaller console), and costs about the same as a 360/ps3..

Beside the point 10% more powerful than a 360 or ps3 u can't notice, less power consuming because its weak, smaller because it weak, and It may be put together well but it's ordinary looking almost vanilla. Bravo 7 years after 360 launched and it has a slower CPU, bloated OS and a old gpu. Mario in 720p for a 2d game, I think it's safe to say this system will be tapped by this time next year if not earlier.
#45 Posted by super600 (30277 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="Fossil-"]

GotNugz

Beside the point 10% more powerful than a 360 or ps3 u can't notice, less power consuming because its weak, smaller because it weak, and It may be put together well but it's ordinary looking almost vanilla. Bravo 7 years after 360 launched and it has a slower CPU, bloated OS and a old gpu. Mario in 720p for a 2d game, I think it's safe to say this system will be tapped by this time next year if not earlier.

:|

At the bolded.The console is stronger then the current hd twins even with it's bottlenecks and most devs have figured that out for themselves most likely.

#46 Posted by hoplayletsplay (978 posts) -
And just like how Wii is supposed to be twice as powerful as the Gamecube, we should let the games speak for the system itself.
#47 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1127 posts) -

Great thread TC,your brand new console is more powerful than my 6 year old one.Not by much mind LOL.Shame my new PS4 will obliterate WiiU and 3rd parties will pretty much ignore it like they did the Wii.

#48 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
2. How the hell do you use 500gigs of space on a PS3?sonic_spark
That's an easy one games, between disc installs and digital games its not hard to fill up a system.
#49 Posted by LustForSoul (5842 posts) -
I sure hope it is, it is 6/7 years newer after all.
#50 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2685 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]I think everybody knows this. Of course just the fact that for some poeple it's even questionable is what is pathetic about the Wii-U system. A real next gen system should be plainly and obviously better. What the hell kind of benchmark in 2013 is it to be "more powerful than 360ps3"? That's just pathetic. Juice_24

And it probably is

So by your logic, tony hawk 360 looks = or worse than x-box? = x-box is more powerful?

Using the word "logic" when replying to a loosingENDS post is hilarious :) And so is your sig btw