WiiU is both the Next Gamecube & Dreamcast.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25012 posts) -

The WiiU seems to be the combination of the 2 consoles, Dreamcast and Gamecube.

The Dreamcast saw some love during it's launch and actually got a banging good Launch Line up, With the likes of Sonic Adventure, Marvel vs Capcom, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, and more.

The WiiU comparably had a really good launch line up, with Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Tekken Tag 2 leading the line up.

However one thing that probably did the Dreamcast in was the fact it was a couple of months early behind the PS2 which had INCREDIBLE hype back in 2000.

WiiU has a similar fate as it seems with not just one console, but 2, the Xbox One and PS4. It should be noted that the PS4 seems to be the more favorable of the two so it makes a great comparison when comparing the WiiU to the Dreamcast.

As much as I would like to continue with the Dreamcast and WiiU comparisons I think they stop here and this is where the WiiU starts acting like a Gamecube.

Despite getting such titles like Resident Evil, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, Batman, and Splinter Cell, WiiU is not doing too well in the 3rd Party department and sales are an all time low for the Games. Much like the Gamecube which would obtain Games like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Prince of Persia, Hitman, and (yes) Splinter Cell they would perform lower than the Xbox and PS2 counter parts.

Most of this is partly due to Nintendo's "Kid" Image. During the Gamecube era many saw the Gamecube as a Kid console and only just that, They would have the games fit for a Mature Audience, but the Mature Audience wouldn't buy the game for a Nintendo Console because they wouldn't see it as a Mature gaming experience. Which is exactly what the WiiU is getting, many are considering the WiiU to be a "Casual" Console or a Console for Kids, despite getting games that would appear to appeal to a Older and more Hardcore Audience.

Despite many Attempts from Nintendo to get the Hardcore back from the Playstation using such tactics like getting Resident Evil Exclusives, Metal Gear Solid Remake and making hits like Metroid Prime, Gamecube was only matching the Xbox or trailing behind them.

WiiU seems to be seeing the same fate. Despite having Monster Hunter as a Console Exclusive (lol), Despite getting Bayonetta 2 as an Exclusive, and despite making masterful games like Pikmin 3, the WiiU is failing to catch up with the PS4 and Xbox One.

And Gamers and Major 3rd Party Developers couldn't give one dime.

This year will see to it if the WiiU becomes more of a Dreamcast (cancellation of the console barely making 2 years in the market) or a Gamecube (a true underdog of the generation).

TL;DR is the Title.

#2 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3467 posts) -

I humbly disagree.

Dreamcast had a nice lineup of exclusive launch titles, WiiU did not.

Also, Gamecube did pretty well as far as I'm aware.

#3 Edited by Desmonic (13527 posts) -

Dreamcast launch lineup >>>> WiiU Launch.

Hell, Dreamcast launch lineup >>> Most other consoles. It's a shame what followed the launch, but man did it make a bang when it arrived.

----------

I feel like the WiiU will be another GameCube. Getting stellar games, but just not selling enough. Of course it's not certain. If Ninty play their cards right (price drop, better marketing, that one game every gamer wants and needs to play besides Mario) the WiiU could still easily have a pretty decent gen.

We'll see. Nintendo can still turn it around if they really want to.

#4 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26336 posts) -

More of these damn Dreamcast comparisons? Do I really need to re-post on why that comparison is stupid when you look at both companies' situations during and prior each console's lifetime?

Really, Nintendo even trying to aim for the "hardcore" audience was a major mistake looking back on it. Blame it on the lower hardware, blame it on bad marketing, I blame the "hardcore" in general for showing their double standards, especially during that announcement (I hate to say it, but maybe Nintendo should get in negotiations with Platinum and SEGA to give off Bayonetta 2. Namco Bandai or Atlus, maybe?).

It's saying something when even I agree with one of Nintendo's biggest critics on the matter (and he's a blogger I used to have hatred for, and while I still do disagree with much of his statements regarding stuff like Aonuma's Zelda games, he's managed to grow on me quite a bit).

#5 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25012 posts) -

I humbly disagree.

Maybe not Exclusives, but WiiU had a great Launch Line up.

It had Darksiders 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden 3, NBA 2K13, Assassin's Creed 3, and Call of Duty Black Ops 2.

It's a great line up on Launch. Granted it didn't make too much sense why Batman Arkham City was there and not something like Borderlands 2, but Arkham City is a great game, it probably shouldn't have been there though, (then again Dreamcast got Mortal Kombat Gold which was Mortal Kombat 4 and that was released about 2 years prior so this ain't anything new).

#6 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5149 posts) -

The Dreamcast launched with an AAAAE on day one.

The Wii U is also selling worse than both the Dreamcast, and the Gamecube at the same point in their lifespans.

Wii U also has less third party support than the Gamecube.

The Wii U, is not the dreamcast, nor the Gamecube.

#7 Edited by Desmonic (13527 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

I humbly disagree.

It had Darksiders 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden 3, NBA 2K13, Assassin's Creed 3, and Call of Duty Black Ops 2.

It's a great line up on Launch. Granted it didn't make too much sense why Batman Arkham City was there and not something like Borderlands 2, but Arkham City is a great game, it probably shouldn't have been there though, (then again Dreamcast got Mortal Kombat Gold which was Mortal Kombat 4 and that was released about 2 years prior so this ain't anything new).

It's the same reasoning people use with the Vita though. Why would you play those games on the WiiU when theres was little to no improvement on those versions? It was great in the sense that there was something for everyone, or at least the most popular genres (much like what happened with the X1 & PS4) but nothing really outstanding per say (again, much like the X1 & PS4). The main difference (versus the WiiU) was the multiplats, graphically speaking, had a noticeable improvement (and in some cases in performance too) from the past gen.

The Dreamcast however had 4 must play games for the console on day one: Sonic Adventure 1, SoulCalibur, Power Stone and The House of the Dead 2. For the console, these 4 games were must play games. Comparatively speaking neither the WiiU, X1 or PS4 had any single game that one can consider a "must play" right at launch, exclusive or otherwise.

Which is why I say the WiiU is far more like the GameCube than the Dreamcast.

#8 Posted by Telekill (4433 posts) -

I don't own a WiiU and have no plans on buying one.

That said, Gamecube was my favorite Nintendo system and I still love my Dreamcast. That means that WiiU is awesome right?

#9 Edited by Netret0120 (2048 posts) -

Even if the wii u fails, Nintendo are in a good place financially to handle it.

The Wii U is still making a profit for them despite their low sales

#10 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4370 posts) -

More of these damn Dreamcast comparisons? Do I really need to re-post on why that comparison is stupid when you look at both companies' situations during and prior each console's lifetime?

Really, Nintendo even trying to aim for the "hardcore" audience was a major mistake looking back on it. Blame it on the lower hardware, blame it on bad marketing, I blame the "hardcore" in general for showing their double standards, especially during that announcement (I hate to say it, but maybe Nintendo should get in negotiations with Platinum and SEGA to give off Bayonetta 2. Namco Bandai or Atlus, maybe?).

It's saying something when even I agree with one of Nintendo's biggest critics on the matter (and he's a blogger I used to have hatred for, and while I still do disagree with much of his statements regarding stuff like Aonuma's Zelda games, he's managed to grow on me quite a bit).

If Nintendo wants to aim for the "hardcore" they need more reactions like they saw with the Bayonetta 2 announcement. Reactions like that are positive for reshaping Nintendo's image in the eyes of the average gamer. Also it would be terrible for Nintendo to hand it off to someone else, caving in to cry babies isn't the answer to anything.

On Topic: The Wii U does have a tough road ahead of it ala Dreamcast & Gamecube it's obviously not carbon copies of those systems. Depending on if Nintendo turns this ship around it will likely get the over praised after the fact treatment like the prior two systems. Which makes them quite alike in my book.

#11 Posted by david61983 (155 posts) -

What the OP is saying is flat out ridiculous. The Wii U had a terrible launch lineup unlike the Dreamcasts which was one of the best ever. The Wii U was also launched at a price that was $150 too high unlike the Dreamcast which launched at $199. The Gamecube is another matter. The Gamecube had a reasonable price and good first party games but lacked 3rd party support which killed it. Time will tell if Nintendo can get the Wii U down to a reasonable price point and bring in some third party games.

#12 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

Dreamcast launched with a bunch of great games that were also technically impressive. Wii-U did not. In fact, Wii-U's multiplats tended to run and/or look worse than their 360/ps3 counterparts. Nintendo's marquee title that fall looked like an up-res'd wii game. The hardcore crowd is swayed by potential that comes with a new, significantly more powerful system. Wii-U is destined to compete with 360 and ps3(visually speaking) for the rest of its existence. Because of its hardware Wii-u has a limited future. That's why core gamers aren't adopting it as their next system. At best it will become a secondary system for a small subset of gamers with some much needed price cuts.

Competitive hardware = more support which means more games

This is the second gen in a row Nintendo has goofed on this front and further illustrates Nintendo's inability to compete in this market. Hope they turn things around Next gen or make room(leave the console arena) for another company that's willing to compete with Sony and MS.

#13 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26336 posts) -

@Devil-Itachi said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

If Nintendo wants to aim for the "hardcore" they need more reactions like they saw with the Bayonetta 2 announcement. Reactions like that are positive for reshaping Nintendo's image in the eyes of the average gamer. Also it would be terrible for Nintendo to hand it off to someone else, caving in to cry babies isn't the answer to anything.

These days, controversy HURTS Nintendo, rather than help (it wasn't completely the case back on the N64 when they had involvement in ONE or Two mature oriented Rare titles, not the case with GameCube and onward). I try not to use this upcoming argument as it doesn't work depending on said argument, but they're not like Rockstar Games where anytime where there's a controversy over one of their games, they can make buck off it.

#14 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7262 posts) -

I sincerely doubt the Wii U will be killed off early in its lifespan. Surely Nintendo and its investors can see that would be the worst thing the company could possibly do. The millions of people who bought the console and supported Nintendo would get shafted - the Nintendo diehard fans. It would completely assassinate consumer confidence, which will come back to haunt the next system.

Sega f**ked up too many times in a row - Sega CD, Nomad, 32X, and Sega Saturn. Consumer and developer confidence was through the floor and Dreamcast's fate was sealed before it even got out the door. Sony had more hype, but more importantly, developers and customers were both far more confident in Sony's ability to deliver. It would be better for Nintendo in the long run to stick with Wii U for the console cycle and try again when the time comes.

#15 Posted by Naylord (671 posts) -

This is insulting to both the Gamecube and the Dreamcast. The Gamecube is probably my favourite nintendo system of all time and my favourite console of that gen.

#16 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

I humbly disagree.

All of those games were on other systems, and the those other systems had the better versions. Id beaten most of those games already by the time the wiiu actually came out.

#17 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25012 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

I humbly disagree.

All of those games were on other systems, and the those other systems had the better versions. Id beaten most of those games already by the time the wiiu actually came out.

"Better Versions".

1. Mass Effect 3 had Javik and The Extended Ending are on the Disc. Shame no DLC was made because EA didn't release any on WiiU.
  2. Assassin's Creed 3 got all of the DLC the other consoles got
  3. Tekken Tag 2 has more content on it than the other Systems.
  4. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge before it was ported to the other consoles was considered to be the Better version of the game.
  5. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 suffered the same fate as Mass Effect 3, No DLC support because Activision just didn't release any on the eShop.
  6. Darksiders 2 on the Box itself states it has 5 more Hours of content than the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.
  7. Batman Arkham City for the WiiU also has all the DLC on the disc, Of course There's a version available on the other Systems at the time with this so at this point it's just a matter of I like Bananas better than Apples.

WiiU had relevant 3rd Party Offerings at the Launch of the System's Life. It's just a shame people like you just didn't see that and granted it's also because of 3rd party Companies doing things like not Releasing Extra Content for the System for games like Mass Effect and Call of Duty.

#18 Edited by PonchoTaco (1991 posts) -

Wii U like Gamecube? I loved my Gamecube. Awesome.

#19 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Nah. The Wii U is the Wii U

#20 Posted by foxhound_fox (87843 posts) -

I think the Wii U is the next Wii U.

I'm not sure where this obsession with conflating commercial performance of past consoles with new ones comes from. The market factors are entirely different now... and Nintendo is not in the same position it was in 2001, nor are they even remotely close to where Sega ever was.

#21 Edited by foxhound_fox (87843 posts) -

@Gargus said:

All of those games were on other systems

And yet people are buying the PS4 in the millions.

Odd how that works.

#22 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

No, its a Gamecube.

They aint going anywhere, currently still has more sales even if they had a year start, and Super Mario 3D World is still regarded as the best Next Gen Game

also you gotta stop assuming that Nintendo consoles are meant to be played alone.

#23 Edited by SolidTy (42560 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: The Wii U is my Dreamcube.

Sure, it was injured trying to fly too early, but I put on a Gamecast and things are looking good in 2014 for some healing.

#24 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25012 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Sure, it was injured trying to fly to early, but I put on a Gamecast and things are looking good in 2014 for some healing.

Ha! That made me chuckle, thanks.

#25 Posted by SolidTy (42560 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Sure, it was injured trying to fly too early, but I put on a Gamecast and things are looking good in 2014 for some healing.

Ha! That made me chuckle, thanks.