WiiU has a high attach rate, 1/3 of Shovel Knight Sales.

• 59 results
#1 Posted by farrell2k (6365 posts) -

Something we have known since day one is that WiiU owner only buy good games. We now have even more confirmation of that from Yacht Club Games, the developers of the hit indie game, Shovel Knight, letting us all know that despite being on five different platforms, the WiiU accounts for 1/3 of all sales.

If you make quality games for the system, people will buy them. Are you listening Activision, WB games, and Ubisoft?

http://sheattack.com/shovel-knight-wii-u-interview/

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26901 posts) -

Dude, I don't think this is anything to rub in the face of big publishers.

#3 Posted by farrell2k (6365 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Dude, I don't think this is anything to rub in the face of big publishers.

I think it most certainly is. WiiU owners want games tailored to the system's strengths, not just half-assed ports like Assassins Creed II, IV, COD Ghosts, Arkham Origins, etc. The WiiU also made up a large portion of Rayman's sales for Ubisoft, because they actually took the time to integrate platform specific features.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

Can't wait until this lands on Sony platforms.

#5 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19940 posts) -

Isn't it available on only 2 systems right now?

#6 Posted by Basinboy (11240 posts) -

@Ragnarok1051 said:

3DS, Wii U, Windows, Mac, Linux

#7 Posted by OhSnapitz (18458 posts) -
@Ragnarok1051 said:

3 systems with the PC.

I'm no mathematician but that seems like all three are selling equally.

#8 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19940 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

@Ragnarok1051 said:

3DS, Wii U, Windows, Mac, Linux

Gotcha. Thought it was just available for the Wii U and 3DS right now.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:
@Ragnarok1051 said:

3 systems with the PC.

Which, for the Wii U, is a pretty big deal, considering it is dwarfed by the install base that 3DS and PC have.

#10 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17952 posts) -

Vita supposedly has a high attach rate http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-14-ps-vita-doesnt-deserve-bad-reputation-drinxbox

Hopefully Shovel Knight makes its way to Vita

#11 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

Oh but I thought wii u owners only bought mario and zelda games

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (24213 posts) -

I was thinking about getting it, but there was other stuff on the eShop I wanted. I finally transferred my Wii games over to my Wii U, then upgraded a dozen to play on the GamePad, picked up Metroid Fusion and that was a lot of fun, picked up a few GBA games I never played like Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and the LoZ: Minish Cap, so I got a lot to play in the meantime. Not to mention got Little Inferno when it was on sale for $5, Dr Luigi as my Platinum Club Nintendo annual redemption, got Trine 2: Director's Cut on sale, and Scram Kitty was also on sale. And I used my Digital Deluxe Promotion points to get Child of Light.

Once I get through my backlist on the Wii U I'll try Shovel Knight... once it ends up on sale, $15 is a lot for something that mimics a 8/16 bit era game.

#13 Posted by farrell2k (6365 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:
@Ragnarok1051 said:

3 systems with the PC.

Not systems, platforms. You cannot even remotely pretend that windows, linux, and osx are all "the pc".

#14 Edited by Maroxad (8342 posts) -

Last time I checked, the Wii U had the highest attach Rate of the 3 consoles. So yes, for the time being, it has a good attach rate.

Speaking of which, time to get Shovel Knight.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@OhSnapitz said:
@Ragnarok1051 said:

3 systems with the PC.

Not systems, platforms. You cannot even remotely pretend that windows, linux, and osx are all "the pc".

They are all in fact the PC. If you somehow want to disaggregate all three to make some sort of fanboyish point, then I raise you the counterargument that OSX and Linux gaming is so negligible and minor so as to be completely discounted, effectively leaving us with just three 'platforms'- Windows, Wii U, and 3DS- again.

#16 Posted by hiphops_savior (7945 posts) -

@charizard1605: Strange thing is, Shovel Knight isn't cross play compatible on Steam.

#17 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

Shovel Knight on the Vita would be nice.

#18 Edited by farrell2k (6365 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@farrell2k said:

@OhSnapitz said:
@Ragnarok1051 said:

3 systems with the PC.

They are all in fact the PC. If you somehow want to disaggregate all three to make some sort of fanboyish point, then I raise you the counterargument that OSX and Linux gaming is so negligible and minor so as to be completely discounted, effectively leaving us with just three 'platforms'- Windows, Wii U, and 3DS- again.

Ahuh...

#19 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25600 posts) -

This is only confirming that only Nintendo titles sell on Nintendo Systems.

I know Shovel Knight isn't a Nintendo title, but it looks like an NES game and many people associate that with Nintendo. So High Sales of this game on Nintendo platforms is only going to confirm the stereotype.

This does not help the 3rd Party situation at all especially since games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed didn't sell this well.

#20 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Isn't this a game that appeals to Nintendo fans. Same for Rayman. So just give people what they want, which seems obvs

#21 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1215 posts) -

So one game negates the fact that most other games don't sell as much on the WiiU?

#22 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13675 posts) -

What the hell is Shovel Knight ?

#23 Posted by Jynxzor (9309 posts) -

I'll be waiting for this to show up on the Vita, game feels like it would be at home on a handheld and Vita is my choice when it comes to that type of game.

#24 Posted by FinalFighters (1545 posts) -

Ugh, i wish they would hurry up and release it on the Vita already. i want to play it!

#25 Posted by MonsieurX (30451 posts) -

I guess I need to play that game

#26 Posted by gameofthering (10321 posts) -

I still need to grab it on Steam at some point.

#27 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26901 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Vita supposedly has a high attach rate http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-14-ps-vita-doesnt-deserve-bad-reputation-drinxbox

Hopefully Shovel Knight makes its way to Vita

I actually talked to them about a PS/XBOX port possibility on Twitter, they left this while saying it's in their minds.

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

So one game negates the fact that most other games don't sell as much on the WiiU?

Games sell a fair bit on Wii U. It has an attach rate of 5.8 (nearly 6). That's amazingly high.

#29 Edited by hiphops_savior (7945 posts) -

@charizard1605: Maybe publishers should take note.

#30 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3852 posts) -

So is Shovel Knight doing well? I hear it's really good.

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

Yep, it seems to have surpassed all expectations the developers had.

I hear it's good too, but I'm not quite sure why I haven't bought it yet...

#32 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

I don´t think publishers will take note on a WiiU game having a good attach rate when that game has sold 200k copies on three systems. Maybe if it sold 2 Million.

#33 Posted by topgunmv (10248 posts) -

I think it has more to do with people who have a wiiu enjoying platforming games.

#34 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6561 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

I think it has more to do with people who have a wiiu enjoying platforming games.

Everyone but me QQ (well I did like SM3DW alot, maybe I am getting infected :X)

#35 Posted by PapaTrop (1338 posts) -

It seems more a matter of Wii U having a "target audience" for a game like this.

#36 Posted by freedomfreak (40954 posts) -

I need this to release on 3DS(Europe).

#37 Posted by hiphops_savior (7945 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

@hiphops_savior said:

I don´t think publishers will take note on a WiiU game having a good attach rate when that game has sold 200k copies on three systems. Maybe if it sold 2 Million.

There's also profit margins. You can make a tidy sum with 200k if development was cheap. I could almost guarantee that Pokemon X and Y had a better investment to return rate than GTA 5.

#38 Posted by jg4xchamp (48376 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

It's that realization you're afraid of. That moment where you find out that "classic, finely crafted" gameplay that Nintendo plebs could hang their hat on with Nintendo, is being done better by the indie scene.

#39 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

It's that realization you're afraid of. That moment where you find out that "classic, finely crafted" gameplay that Nintendo plebs could hang their hat on with Nintendo, is being done better by the indie scene.

Funny.

Nah, it's more like I don't have the money to buy it right now, and I'm not even sure what system to buy it on. I want to be able to play it in bed, but fuck if I put up with the 3DS's ergonomics any more than I have to. On the other hand, the Wii U doesn't reach my bedroom anymore, since I re-arranged it, so I'm stuck here.

#40 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

Oh wow. The mighty A+ title Shovel Knight has a third of it's sales on wii u. The wii u is saved.

#41 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Oh wow. The mighty A+ title Shovel Knight has a third of it's sales on wii u. The wii u is saved.

It makes me laugh how obsessed with nintendo you are.

#42 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1597 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What the hell is Shovel Knight ?

A stat based rpg which you should never touch. And also no co-op.

#43 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

@inb4uall: It makes me laugh how obsessed with Nintendo you are.

#44 Edited by UnbiasedPoster (875 posts) -

Rofl. Retro game intended to appeal to fans of old Nintendo games sales exactly 1/3 on main Nintendo console.

Such win, Wii U. You're surely getting the 90% of the those multiplats you are missing out on now.

#45 Edited by Speak_Low (1097 posts) -

I wish Sheep would stop obsessing over sales, sales, sales and get back to the important thing: the games.

#46 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

You realize it's one of the best received games of this year? You realize it's one of the best received indie games of all time? You realize that it's a GotY contender for this year?

Plus, who said anything about the Wii U being saved? This conversation was about attach ratios.

#47 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

@speak_low: I'm surprised your frontal lobe didn't explode with hypocrisy after typing that

#48 Edited by Bigboi500 (30056 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@inb4uall: It makes me laugh how obsessed with Nintendo you are.

lol I was thinking the same about you and Speaklow. 99% of the threads you guys comment in are Nintendo threads. Think about that for a minute.

#49 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

@charizard1605: It's not one of the best received indie games of all time. It is merely a well received indie title. And that's all it is. Which don't get me wrong, is worth buying. But if this was rockstar or capcom putting this title out for £50 you could half those scores. It's got a credible 88 on metacritic. If it were out on vita I'd buy it, probably enjoy it as much as spelunky and enjoy it on it's own merits.

I was being a little bit over sarcastic in my post but it's a direct response to farrell2k up there who is on a one man crusade to make the wii u look more and more desperate.

#50 Edited by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@charizard1605: It's not one of the best received indie games of all time. It is merely a well received indie title. And that's all it is. Which don't get me wrong, is worth buying. But if this was rockstar or capcom putting this title out for £50 you could half those scores. It's got a credible 88 on metacritic. If it were out on vita I'd buy it, probably enjoy it as much as spelunky and enjoy it on it's own merits.

I was being a little bit over sarcastic in my post but it's a direct response to farrell2k up there who is on a one man crusade to make the wii u look more and more desperate.

Sure, but in this thread, it was completely out of context and irrelevant- his thread talked only about Wii U attach rates, and absolutely nothing else. There was nothing about saving the Wii U, all he said was, 'make good games, good games will sell.' In this context, your comment came off as unnecessarily bitter and pointless.