Wii/WiiU brand confusion continues

#1 Edited by Nanomage (2404 posts) -

To this day this is still an issue it seems.

#2 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11114 posts) -

To this day I still wonder how Nintendo decided the name was a good idea.

#3 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24891 posts) -

It's a poor excuse at this point.

Then again both controllers work on a WiiU so it's not "wrong".

It would be MORE wrong if The WiiU Pro controller tag said "Wii".

#4 Posted by Speak_Low (942 posts) -

There's also brain confusion inside of Nintendo headquarters now. Nothing is turning out like they had hoped, and they are wondering where the Wii people at.

Wii U could've been called 'Bacon Kitten Rainbow Tricycle U' and it would only marginally help. It's not just the marketing, the hardware and the software deficiencies holding them down, but that Gamepad that millions do not care about.

#5 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@speak_low: Actually, I think it's the lack of interest in their IP's moreso than the Gamepad *waits for Champ, Char, and co*.

(Oh, god! Curse me for adding a point into that post)

#6 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

I imagine some people are gonna make a quick buck selling wii pro controllers passing as wiiu ones,the price must be quite different.
But anyway that´s just sad,you won´t get any of this confusion with any other system.

#7 Posted by SolidTy (42444 posts) -

Shame, but not unexpected.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

According to VG Charts... The Wii seems to be out selling the Wii U, week after week.

#9 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

According to VG Charts... The Wii seems to be out selling the Wii U, week after week.

VGChartz... lol.

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@nintendoboy16

Normally I would lol too but The Wii is the cheaper more popular console.

#11 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@nintendoboy16

Normally I would lol too but The Wii is the cheaper more popular console.

Dude, you're relying on VGChartz, they of all sites should know that the Wii U is discontinued in both Japan and Europe, so I doubt the Wii is currently outselling the Wii U.

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@nintendoboy16

I've never cared about sales. So I don't rely on any site that tracks them.

#13 Posted by thehig1 (1393 posts) -

Cex know what they are doing there. They have labelled a wii controller as wii u on purpose, as they are not wron because it will work with the wii u, and there is a higher chance it will sell if it's laballed as a newer consoles accessory.

#14 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7204 posts) -

My in-laws didn't know Wii U was a new console until they saw mine a couple months ago. The confusion continues...

#15 Edited by yokofox33 (29363 posts) -

More like Wii Who amirite?!

#16 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

Wii 2 is what the name should have been. Xbox One name is hardly better but at least Sony keeps it real with PlayStation 1,2,3,4 and beyond the numbers but then again, I ask Sony as to why didn't you name PSP2 and not a lame name like Vita.

#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150325 posts) -

Yeah....always thought it was a stupid name....but making the successor basically the same has probably cost them some sales. Why upgrade if the machine seems to have the same name.

#18 Edited by Micropixel (865 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

No... it's not lol.

According to that place, it's either at or near the bottom of the pile consistently. And like Nintendoboy16 said, it's discontinued. However, the Wii U has been above Xbox One there for the past few weeks, but then again... VG Charts.

#19 Posted by Netret0120 (2032 posts) -

Wii2 would have made WAY more sense.

Xbox aren't much better with their Xbox one stuff.

Sony nailed and kept it simple.

Playstation 1

Playstation 2

Playstation 3

Playstation 4

Simple but effective. Even a person who has no idea about games knows the difference.

#20 Posted by Heirren (16537 posts) -

Same here. For a company that protects its brand so much it is rather confusing. Not just the name, but the design of the actual hardware as well. It has got no character. I know they've stated that they(nintendo) wanted the console to disguise itself in the entertainment area, but it also lost all distinguishing characteristics in the process.

#21 Posted by littlestreakier (2902 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai: just a theory...they watched Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist, and then immediately named the Wii U afterwards.

#22 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

Wii 2 is what the name should have been.

Either that or do what they always did with their home consoles wich was give each one a completely different name.

#23 Posted by bulby_g (1049 posts) -

What shocks me more about this picture is the fact that they are selling what I assume is a used controller at the same price you can get a new one from Amazon.

#24 Posted by Marduke1913 (46 posts) -

all the systems are struggling with this, I think sony is keeping it most simple with 2,3,4....no idea why xbox didnt make the 8th gen called 720

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150325 posts) -

all the systems are struggling with this, I think sony is keeping it most simple with 2,3,4....no idea why xbox didnt make the 8th gen called 720

Eh the MS gave the console a longer name but shortened it for ease. Xbox Last One.....

Joking.....relax.

#26 Posted by ominous_titan (593 posts) -

lol xbox 720p, thats why it wasnt called that the jokes would be endless

#27 Edited by AzatiS (7260 posts) -

It's a poor excuse at this point.

Then again both controllers work on a WiiU so it's not "wrong".

It would be MORE wrong if The WiiU Pro controller tag said "Wii".

+1

After so many commercials and some of the biggest Nintendo games out .... this excuse needs to stop.

Wii is dead for more than 5 years now more or less and people that are interested about new mario , new mario kart , new smash etc .. they know what is Wii and what is Wii U.

The main issue is that casuals dont give a shit anymore about gimmick controls. Thats all. Everything else is a big excuse.

#28 Posted by foxhound_fox (87660 posts) -

If there is one thing I can praise Sony for, it's being straightforward in their iteration naming conventions.\

Then again, we have to remember, people are stupid. Consumers are even stupider. I don't doubt there were plenty of kids who asked for a Super Nintendo Entertainment System for Xmas only getting a Nintendo Entertainment System.

#29 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17337 posts) -

Oh what could have been if the U was just a 2. Wii 2 would have sold tons based on the name alone.

And I didn't need a six figure salary or masters degree to come up with that brilliant name.

#30 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17337 posts) -

720 is pretty dumb. And by pretty dumb I mean really dumb.

#31 Posted by parkurtommo (26467 posts) -

Yeah Nintendo definitely underestimated the stupidity of your average joe when they went with such a name.

#32 Posted by Blabadon (25933 posts) -

That and the Vita

#33 Posted by parkurtommo (26467 posts) -

@marduke1913 said:

720 is pretty dumb. And by pretty dumb I mean really dumb.

Xbox one is more dumb.

The difference in this case, between the possibility of confusion regarding the new Xbox, and the Wii U, is that Nintendo doesn't market their platform at all to the casual market, it seems. I have not heard or seen of a single marketing related action by Nintendo since the launch of the Wii U aside from their Nintendo Direct things (which many people don't know about).

Microsoft is dedicated to marketing. Nintendo has no fucking idea. So dumb name (Wii U) + no marketing = confusion and ignorance

#34 Edited by coasterguy65 (5875 posts) -

They really should have called it something else, or at least made the console look much different. Even Wii 2 would have been a better name, and lest confusing. I know quite a few people that were, and some that are still confused by it. I talk to people about gaming quite often that think that the Wii-U is just an over priced $300 game pad for a Wii.

#35 Edited by Kjranu (918 posts) -

#36 Edited by Speak_Low (942 posts) -

Wii U's lack of sales should definitely be attributed to more than one thing. It's not just the hardware, the name, the marketing, the library support or the Gamepad - it's all of these things combined, with varying degrees of FAIL within each category (and opinions will vary on which ones were the most crushing for Nintendo this gen).

The same way a successful console wouldn't attribute their uncontested victory to just one thing. You wouldn't call something "domination" or even "reign" without the company displaying their superiority and unmatchable business prowess in multiple areas.

And considering the Wii U is on the far, opposite end of domination and will be the worst-selling home console ever for Nintendo, that would mean that the company has committed blunders in many, many areas to fall down to the miserable bottom. That's also why Nintendo's next console will probably relive the same mistakes as the Wii U. Instead of working on improving their known weaknesses this gen, they wasted so much time and didn't learn enough (or anything?) from the Wii era to help them. Their current "best thinking" and "vast knowledge" got them their worst results.

This company is way more random than the other two in how they conduct business. Nintendo relies on finding that quick-fix "perfect storm" rather than doing things steadily and assuredly. They couldn't even keep their (already tenuous) hold on third-party intact. They couldn't even hang on to their Wii audience. And they couldn't properly get the marketing message across on what the Wii U actually was, for the longest time. All of these problems show us a company that's not as assured as we thought. They are throwing a dart at a faraway board in a dark room, and just hoping for that magnificent bulls-eye. Horrible!