Wii U Underpowered? Apple didn't think so.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

I have been reading forums for awhile, and during E3, I was shocked at just how good looking Mario Kart 8 was during the Best Buy event. Reports at the time had Killzone Shadow Fall struggling to get 30fps while Mario Kart 8 can do 1080p at 60fps. I like many people were looking for answers.

Then Shin'en revealed about the edRAM for the Wii U, which was the secret weapon for the 360. While the 360 only had 10MB worth of EDRAM, the Wii U had 32MB

Here's the kicker; you only need 16MB to be able to render in 1080p.

Well, great, but why is the Espresso CPU so slow?

While a valid point, as some posters on Gamefaqs pointed out, the low clock speed of the Wii U is deceptive

Over ten years ago, Apple in a keynote explained the architecture of a CPU. This is where the popular phrase "Megahertz War" came about.

As Steve Jobs said in the video, how could a CPU with half the speed can be twice as fast?

What does it have to do with System Wars?

There has been a lot of misinformation and marketing spin that's been polluting the internet. When people claim the PS4 to be the most powerful, they would point the clock speed of their CPU and the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. Here's the problem, the Wii U's Espresso is running on 4 stage pipeline, while the Jaguar is running on a pipeline 4 times as long at 16. In the video, they point out that Pentium 4 running at 20 stage pipeline while the old G4 processor is running on 7 stages.

I'm just a reporter with no knowledge, but even I find the video to be far more enlightening than words can ever explain. In essense, do not discount the Wii U on clock speed alone or it would bite you in the back

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
Doesn't matter. Incompetence must be answered for.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hiphops_savior
Doesn't matter. Incompetence must be answered for.CJ_ofCamelot
The only difference between Apple and Nintendo is that one of their marketing teams are far more competent. I agree that results matter, otherwise, I wouldn't be asking questions why Mario Kart 8 is capable at running at 1080p@60fps.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

hiphops_savior

When was the last time Apple developed a video game?

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"]Doesn't matter. Incompetence must be answered for.hiphops_savior
The only difference between Apple and Nintendo is that one of their marketing teams are far more competent. I agree that results matter, otherwise, I wouldn't be asking questions why Mario Kart 8 is capable at running at 1080p@60fps.

They missed the signs. The didn't listen to the outcrys. On top of all this, they were busy playing on the Cell. Heck miyomoto retired for extra gaming time, and who could blame him.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hiphops_savior

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]

the_bi99man

Apple certainly knows something about making computers, which shockingly enough, isn't that different from developing a console. Only difference is that consoles are usually dedicated for gaming and whatnot.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]

the_bi99man

We're talking about specs specifically here. Apple does develope hardware. 

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
SMG looked good enough on a Wii as well so what? Its simplistic graphics that have nothing else but prebaked shadows and colors.
tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Silly comparison really.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hiphops_savior

Silly comparison really.

tubbyc
Unless you can elaborate on why you find the comparison silly, I have no choice but to find your post silly and trollish.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hiphops_savior

LOL Apple and "power".  they put weak ass chips into their devices and charge 5x more.  But i cant lie I have a mac

kingoflife9
Did you even watch the video? http://youtu.be/w9VWRB07yqc
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
The WiiU is powerful enough for a budget console, but that's not where it's priced at the moment. They need to drop the tablet gimmick and lower the price by at least $100...
tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

[QUOTE="tubbyc"]

Silly comparison really.

hiphops_savior

Unless you can elaborate on why you find the comparison silly, I have no choice but to find your post silly and trollish.

It would be less demanding to make a Mario Kart game look very pretty and run at 1080p/60FPS compared to a modern, realistic looking shooter.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I have been reading forums for awhile, and during E3, I was shocked at just how good looking Mario Kart 8 was during the Best Buy event. Reports at the time had Killzone Shadow Fall struggling to get 30fps while Mario Kart 8 can do 1080p at 60fps. I like many people were looking for answers.

Then Shin'en revealed about the edRAM for the Wii U, which was the secret weapon for the 360. While the 360 only had 10MB worth of EDRAM, the Wii U had 32MB

While a valid point, as some posters on Gamefaqs pointed out, the low clock speed of the Wii U is deceptive

Over ten years ago, Apple in a keynote explained the architecture of a CPU. This is where the popular phrase "Megahertz War" came about.

As Steve Jobs said in the video, how could a CPU with half the speed can be twice as fast?

There has been a lot of misinformation and marketing spin that's been polluting the internet. When people claim the PS4 to be the most powerful, they would point the clock speed of their CPU and the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. Here's the problem, the Wii U's Espresso is running on 4 stage pipeline, while the Jaguar is running on a pipeline 4 times as long at 16. In the video, they point out that Pentium 4 running at 20 stage pipeline while the old G4 processor is running on 7 stages.

I'm just a reporter with no knowledge, but even I find the video to be far more enlightening than words can ever explain. In essense, do not discount the Wii U on clock speed alone or it would bite you in the back

hiphops_savior

The reason kz:sf hits 30 and Mario kart hits 60 is because Mario kart has much lower assets.  It looks like a ps3 game in HD 

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Wii U = Best Next-Gen Console.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

this thread had promise.. then i started reading it and now im all :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Right, because apple makes hardware we automatically assume their OPINION on whats powerful enough is factual? REALLY? :roll:.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

hiphops_savior

The fact that you compared Mario Kart to Shadow Fall graphically proves you know nothing about games. And you quote PC specs in your sig? Pathetic.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

Apple doesn't even know anything gaming related besides their android games.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"]Doesn't matter. Incompetence must be answered for.hiphops_savior

Mario Kart 8 isn't exactly a technical marvel.  It's basically a current gen game running at a higher res. 

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I don't judge spec sheets. I judge the actual games. RIght now there's nothing on WiiU that looks as good as 360/PS3s best.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
it has what essentially is a 6670 as a gpu which matters more when comes to gaming that cpu and still has a weak cpu ( and no the weak conclusion is not just based on mhz alone )
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hiphops_savior

The fact that you compared Mario Kart to Shadow Fall graphically proves you know nothing about games. And you quote PC specs in your sig? Pathetic.

StrongBlackVine
What does having a gaming rig have to do with what I have posted? All I'm saying is that clock speed isn't everything when you are losing clock speed because of what could be called "bubbles". Apple may not know much about gaming, but this is hardware, not gaming.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

hiphops_savior

Mario Kart 8 most likely runs at a resolution of 720P.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

LOL Apple and "power".  they put weak ass chips into their devices and charge 5x more.  But i cant lie I have a mac

kingoflife9
You do realize that Samsung makes most of those weak chips right? Not defending Apple as I really don't like them but making sure you understand facts before you spout ignorance.
Avatar image for MicrosoftPR_Ray
MicrosoftPR_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MicrosoftPR_Ray
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]

the_bi99man

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

lolapple 

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]

super600

Mario Kart 8 most likely runs at a resolution of 720P.

The public demo ran at 720p but Nintendo are shooting for 1080p with Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Honestly, I expect Wii U to at least be competitive graphically with PS4 and XB1 for the next year or two, but after that the gap will widen significantly as developers get to grips with the new hardware and their engines evolve.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
Imagine if the Wii U tried to release a game without kiddy graphics
g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Apple obviously is a better hardware manufacture than Nintendo is.

iOS and Android have showed us that it doesnt take much to run a cartoon game.

MicrosoftPR_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MicrosoftPR_Ray
Imagine if the Wii U tried to release a game without kiddy graphicsXxR3m1xInHDn3D
Batman Arkam city?
MicrosoftPR_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MicrosoftPR_Ray
Imagine if the Wii U tried to release a game without kiddy graphicsXxR3m1xInHDn3D
Batman Arkam city?
MicrosoftPR_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MicrosoftPR_Ray
Batman Arkam city?
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I see the point, but it's not fair to compare the performance of Shadow Fall vs Mario Kart. They have completely different art styles and they're not even in the same genre. At a glance, it seems to me that Shadow Fall has more assets to keep track of that are more complex than those in Mario Kart. I'm not saying Mario Kart looks bad, because it's obviously a beautiful game, but the discrepancy is there.

On another note, I definitely agree that there's more to processors than just clock numbers. The youtube video is a good find. :)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

project x..bayonetta2

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

MK8 is 720p with no AA, the jaggies are everywhere

What's with all these rumors that Wii U games are 1080p/60fps?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KBFloYd

HaloinventedFPS

link where mariokart8 is 720p?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

It's the games that matter, more specifically, strong 3rd party support. And WiiU has virtually none of that, with the exception of a sad few. 

Hell, the iPhone 5S sold more than the WiiU and that tiny thing is cable of running not just phone calls and the 32gb is the same price. :lol:

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KBFloYd

It's the games that matter, more specifically, strong 3rd party support. And WiiU has virtually none of that, with the exception of a sad few. 

Hell, the iPhone 5S sold more than the WiiU and that tiny thing is cable of running not just phone calls and the 32gb is the same price. :lol:

VERTIGO47

didnt the iphone 4 outsell the ps3 :lol:

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

KBFloYd

all the screenshots

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

HaloinventedFPS

all the screenshots

haha..i knew it

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

[QUOTE="VERTIGO47"]

KBFloYd

didnt the iphone 4 outsell the ps3 :lol:

It very likely did, but why would it matter? Both the PS3 and 360 have strong 3rd party support. And if you include smartphones, tabs and the upcoming HD consoles, what they all have in common is people are ACTUALLY INTERESTED in them, because they have something to offer. 

WiiU has something to offer.....Nintendo games. That's pretty much it. And that fancy Gamepad has done nothing earth shattering wonders after nearly a year. 

The point is, people can spin circles around WiiU to put it on pedestal, but at the end of the day, noboday can't deny how it's shortcomings have only proven the consumers' lack of interest in it.Â