Wii U's biggest mistake thus far?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 9 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Wii U's biggest mistake thus far? (68 votes)

None. Wii U hasn't made any major mistakes. 3%
A - The hardware isn't up to par with it's competitors 25%
B - Nintendo Land wasn't nearly as appealing as Wii Sports 4%
C - It's name left too many casual consumers confused. 31%
D - Majority of third party aren't developing for it 19%
E - Online play, social integration, and user interface are lacking 6%
F - It didn't release games like Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World early enough 12%

If I had to rank the severity of it's mistakes.

From a sales perspective (on why people on the whole haven't been buying it):

B (Nintendo Land) > C (It's name) > F (Weak launch) > D (Third party fail) > A (Hardware) > E (Online, UI)

From a gamer's perspective (on why I haven't been buying it)

A (Hardware) > D (Third party) > F (Weak launch) > E (Online, UI) > B (Nintendo Land) > C (It's name)

#1 Edited by MonsieurX (29474 posts) -

The name.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39073 posts) -

The name.

I'd also put up social integration and OS, but that's for me.

#3 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6527 posts) -

No third party support. Its gonna have huge droughts just like the Wii because of this and it will cause it to miss out on many great games further pushing it to irrelevancy.

#4 Edited by nini200 (9572 posts) -

The major issue was the name.

The sub-major issue is releasing the console with only one of the primary controllers that was tooted about and shown off at the major event of E3 able to be used at a time. If the tablet is your main controller, you need the system to be able to handle multiples of that controller at once AT LAUNCH. All the commercials shown the tablet controller and yet only one can be used on the system at a time AS OF NOW. That is a HUGE issue. It's like releasing the PS4 with only one DS4 controller being able to be used. Everyone else has to use DS3 or PS Move.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (55963 posts) -

The name and branding

#6 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Definitely the name. Nintendo has a bad habit of naming things in a confusing manner.

For example, I remember when the 3DS first came out. For the longest time I thought it was just a DS with 3D capabilities slapped onto it. I never realized it was a complete upgrade hardware wise.

They even have commercials addressing the name confusion issue. lol

#7 Edited by pc-ps360 (3458 posts) -

nintendo fans know what they r getting into. love nintendo games and i bought wiiu to play the games i love the most the line up for 2014 is amazing. tho i dont think wiiu will ever appeal to the mainstream gamers anymore.

the biggest mistake they made is year 2013 with the drought of games. nintendo fuged up big time this year. they thought that mario 3d world will save the wiiu, even tho it is an amazing game and one of the best this year , it is nowhere near enough for the mainstream gamers.

the drought wiiu had in 2013 was never seen on anyconsole not even the ps3. they have almost no third party games and they placed all there bets on mario 3d world one game only to counter the xbone and ps4 superior hardware.

1. nintendo should have release mario kart, donkey kong, bayonetta 2 and smash brothers this year in order to have gained ground this year, but mario 3d world alone is no where near enough.
  2. nintendo should have released all nes, gba, snes and gamecube games on the vc yet they havent. not only that the vc on nintendo is sooooo crap, they litterally hav no game, its unbelievable they release one nes game every other week. i dont know what wrong with them they want to make 8 dollars out of an old nes gae no one heard about or care for. just release the entire library already.

either way i love nintendo games and cant wait for the amazing lineup for nintendo next year but its the same u need to buy a secondary console in order to play multiplates because even tho nintendo has an amazing and the best exclusive line up next year, it is the only thing they hav 5 game and probably alot will get postponed for no reason like donkey kong(even tho the game is finished) and u will have nothing else to play.

nintendo keeps talking about introducing more vc games, this is bullsh it, they wont. they are going to release 1 overpriced nes game maybe weekly for the rest of this gen and maybe then start introducing snes game and gba game but for sure it will be a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long and slow process. they want to make alot of money out of old games.

had they not been tis greedy and stubborn, wiiu would have been the number one gaming console for mainstream gamers and would have sold millions if they just release there damn games and not postpone them and release the entire gba snes and gamecube libraries on the eshop.

#8 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (759 posts) -

I bet a bunch of PC gamers chose hardware.

#9 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

I also think failure to show how an expensive tablet controller can revolutionize games is a problem.

No third party support. Its gonna have huge droughts just like the Wii because of this and it will cause it to miss out on many great games further pushing it to irrelevancy.

Agree. With N64, Nintendo had Rare, and for major releases, they alternated years, so Nintendo had time to catch it's breath

The name.

Yeah, we know better. But half of the people who bought the Wii just thought it was an upgrade.

#10 Edited by bbkkristian (14940 posts) -

Calling it "Wii U"

#11 Edited by clr84651 (5363 posts) -

They put too much into the gamepad controller & should've been a regular controller. They also should've made the console much more powerful. They should've named it Wii 2.

#12 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6956 posts) -

They should have named the console the Super Wii. The Wii U is just a really weird name. So is Super Wii, but Nintendo has a long history of using the word "super" for new and improved versions of existing products and franchises.

#13 Edited by Seabas989 (10097 posts) -

The name and marketing. Plus Nintendoland is nowhere near as popular as Wii Sports was.

#14 Posted by CleanPlayer (9787 posts) -

The name is horrible, and how they failed to take advantage of a one year head-start

#15 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

They should have named the console the Super Wii. The Wii U is just a really weird name. So is Super Wii, but Nintendo has a long history of using the word "super" for new and improved versions of existing products and franchises.

Super Wii sounds worse.

They should have just called it. The "U". And have U stand for something like "Ultimate" or "Ultra"

#16 Posted by FinalFighters (1385 posts) -

Or just called it the Wii 2. So everybody (even casuals) know for a fact its the successor to the Wii.

#17 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Or just called it the Wii 2. So everybody (even casuals) know for a fact its the successor to the Wii.

What if they named the system Mii. And then the successor could be "Mii Too"

#18 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6956 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Super Wii sounds worse.

They should have just called it. The "U". And have U stand for something like "Ultimate" or "Ultra"

It doesn't sound good, but I think naming it after their two most successful consoles ever would probably be a good idea. It works for kids and their parents who grew up with the Super Nintendo would understand what is going on.

#19 Edited by AtariKidX (6208 posts) -

The WiiU.....is a mistake.

#20 Posted by MonsieurX (29474 posts) -

The WiiU.....is a mistake.

You forgot several ... and lolololololol

#21 Edited by FinalFighters (1385 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@FinalFighters said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

What if they named the system Mii. And then the successor could be "Mii Too"

That too. anythings better then Wii U (that stupid U got's to go)

#22 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26259 posts) -

Trying to appeal to the hardcore audience, that's it's major mistake. Be it for the systems own flaws, or the fact that a company who has never intended on appealing to this audience before is trying to do it. It's a big flaw all the same.

The backlash of "THAT" announcement was a sign...

#23 Posted by samanthademeste (1101 posts) -

Poor launch, lack of advertisement, poor sales, people thinking it was an add-on for the wii, lame controller, shovel-where for a game library, failing to gain new fans, failing to think outside the box, relying on gimmicks rather then innovation, not adding multimedia features, not using a blue-ray disk to name a few.

#24 Posted by MonsieurX (29474 posts) -

Poor launch, lack of advertisement, poor sales, people thinking it was an add-on for the wii, lame controller, shovel-where for a game library, failing to gain new fans, failing to think outside the box, relying on gimmicks rather then innovation, not adding multimedia features, not using a blue-ray disk to name a few.

So many things wrong in this

#25 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6527 posts) -

Trying to appeal to the hardcore audience, that's it's major mistake. Be it for the systems own flaws, or the fact that a company who has never intended on appealing to this audience before is trying to do it. It's a big flaw all the same.

This wouldnt have been a problem if they actually did try to appeal to the hardcore audience. They made a console with subpar hardware, threw in some ports, got Bayonetta 2 and ZombiU, and called it a day.

#26 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6956 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

This wouldnt have been a problem if they actually did try to appeal to the hardcore audience. They made a console with subpar hardware, threw in some ports, got Bayonetta 2 and ZombiU, and called it a day.

Yeah. Nintendo should go all in with this strategy rather than abandoning it. If they can get any type of installation base at all from their first party, they could potentially get some Japanese developers who don't have the budget to make games that won't sell on the PS4 and XB1 to make some quality exclusives for the Wii U. Having a quality overall library is always a good long term strategy, even if it doesn't pay off in short term sales. It builds goodwill for their next console release, if nothing else.

#27 Edited by Gue1 (9491 posts) -

their biggest mistake was trying to make a console that was appealing to both, casuals and cores. By doing so they made something that was right in the middle of current gen and next gen and they lost both.

The casuals don't like buttons or the price-tag while the cores don't like that it is weak and still relying on the same old franchises. But to be honest, more Zelda and Metroid would have helped the Wii U sell more than Mario (remakes don't count!).

Nintendo did everything wrong.

#28 Edited by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

The concept, name and branding. Oh and the third party. Several mistakes were made for this one.

If I were to choose one it's the concept, but sales-wise it is probably the branding in general. The WiiU is a terrible name and they have no clue on how to differentiate it from the Wii. It's also just undesirable for what it is based on its price point and idea. The pad rarely gets any use aside from off-TV, and it doesn't look like they have a clue on how to use it.

I still like it but I can think of several things they could have done for the hardware to make it fairly competent.

#29 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26259 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

their biggest mistake was trying to chase the core gamers. They tried to make a console that was appealing to both, casuals and cores and by doing so they made something that was right in the middle of current gen and next gen and they lost both. The casuals don't like buttons or the price-tag while the cores don't like that it is weak and still relying on the same old franchises instead. Bu to be honest, more Zelda and Metroid would have helped the Wii U sell more than Mario (remakes don't count!).

Nintendo did everything wrong.

Metroid sell the Wii U? In that franchise's state after Other M?

#30 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26259 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Not really, even if Nintendo went "all out" and did it "right", the hardcore would STILL shun them. There's a reason that even at least one of Nintendo's major critics think that it's a bad idea no matter how you put it.

#31 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

The fact that the novelty of the Wii wore off long ago, and that about 90% of people that bought the Wii were actually non-gamers that only occasionally used it to play Wii Sports.

#32 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6527 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Not really, even if Nintendo went "all out" and did it "right", the hardcore would STILL shun them. There's a reason that even at least one of Nintendo's major critics think that it's a bad idea no matter how you put it.

In your pessimistic view maybe but logically, having third party support via up to date hardware and MORE THAN TWO GAMES AND SOME LAST GEN PORTS (one of those ports being fucking ninja gaiden 3 the crap game that still isnt that good and ended up going to the other consoles) would make it a very attractive console. The only people that would shun them is some stupid irrelevant minority.

#33 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6956 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Maybe you should show us on the doll where the bad cow touched you and we can work on resolving some issues.

#34 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26259 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

In your pessimistic view maybe but logically, having third party support via up to date hardware and MORE THAN TWO GAMES AND SOME LAST GEN PORTS (one of those ports being fucking ninja gaiden 3 the crap game that still isnt that good and ended up going to the other consoles) would make it a very attractive console. The only people that would shun them is some stupid irrelevant minority.

Like I said, not really. And on another semi-related topic, as long as they have their "triforce", they'll still be turned away by the "hardcore" with all the rehash comments.

#35 Posted by Ghost120x (3737 posts) -

Voted name because that was the only option that resembled my thoughts about mixed brand messaging. My thoughts go like this:

1. Casuals bought Wii

2. "core" gamers were disappointed with the Wii (in terms of online features,3rd party, hardware specs etc.)

3. Nintendo wants causals and the core to buy the next hardware

4. causals forget about the Wii brand and flock to tablets (Nintendo fails to realize this)

5. Nintendo names the name of the next console after the console the causals forgot and core didn't like

6.People are confused and Iwata attempts to call Mario to bail him out of the situation

7. Mario accepts the challenge

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

Definitely the name. Nintendo has a bad habit of naming things in a confusing manner.

For example, I remember when the 3DS first came out. For the longest time I thought it was just a DS with 3D capabilities slapped onto it. I never realized it was a complete upgrade hardware wise.

Haha, I always thought a Gameboy Color was just a gameboy that had color.

#37 Edited by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

I voted hardware, but I don't mean processing power.

Controller battery life, hard drive, controller range... there are others.

#38 Posted by AzatiS (7216 posts) -

Big lol to whoever really beleives is the name that holding back Wii U sales ... Big lol

#39 Edited by madsnakehhh (14135 posts) -

Price...Way too expensive at launch, the name didn't help either, if this was called, i don't know, Super Wii...or something like that, at $299 it would have sold so much better.

#40 Edited by silversix_ (14042 posts) -

Wii U

#41 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6024 posts) -

The name, and lack of compelling launch titles. If Nintendo named it the Wii 2, launched with Pikmin 3, and Rayman Legends stayed exclusive and launched in the Spring, it would be selling much better right now.

#42 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6024 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Trail_Mix said:

Haha, I always thought a Gameboy Color was just a gameboy that had color.

The ironic part of your post is that the GameBoy Colour WAS just a GameBoy with color. Both devices had the same hardware outside of whatever made the Colour in color. In fact some games like Link's Awakening DX could be played on either a GameBoy or a GameBoy Color.

#43 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -
#44 Edited by AzatiS (7216 posts) -

1) Hardware ---> Losing all the awesome next-gen third party multiplatforms , let alone losing massive multis to 8 years old consoles. Pathetic

2) Marketing --> Marketing CONTROLLER way more than console itself = fail ( Miracles happening only once = Wii )

Its not the name , its not the price , its not the lack of new IPs. Its the hardware, lack of blockbuster games and the "casual" appealing marketing they thought it would work once again.. well it didnt .. Casuals already playing with gimmicks , you think they care about more gimmicks ? Dont think so.

#45 Posted by madsnakehhh (14135 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

Big lol to whoever really beleives is the name that holding back Wii U sales ... Big lol

It caused a lot of confusion among consumers, most of them where like "a Wii with a tablet add on? i don't think so"

It wasn't the only factor, but i think it was a pretty big deal at launch.

#46 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

gpu was too powerful

#47 Edited by Chozofication (2755 posts) -

1. Tout a remaster of the worst 3d console zelda as a system seller (they actually did), tout a phoned in pos Mario game as a system seller which is clearly casual focused.

2. Making the console weaker than it should have been for the sake of size. (They designed the hardware around the case instead of the other way around like it should be)

3. The gamepad.

4. Ditching the Wii mote and nuchuck instead of improving it.

5. Taking too long to get used to HD development, which they still are.

6. Continually not focusing on 3rd party support and their wants and needs.

7. Relying too much on brand recognition and as a result phoning games in.

8. Taking until now to let the casuals they focus so much on to know the difference between Wii and Wii U.

9. Nintendo being as inward looking as possible, and still failing with their own offerings.

---

But all that said, they can still this around. Remember how poor Ps3 was for the first 2 years? It sure as hell can't be as big a turnaround, though.

Whether they do or not remains to be seen though and I don't count on it, I don't even care anymore.

#48 Edited by wiifan001 (18371 posts) -

Biggest mistake is the name.

2nd biggest mistake was it released a year too late. It should've released in 2011, not 2012

#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26259 posts) -

Biggest mistake is the name.

2nd biggest mistake was it released a year too late. It should've released in 2011, not 2012

By 2011, we'd be even less ready for a new console.

#50 Posted by DocSanchez (1559 posts) -

The idea that if they just changed the name things would magically be okay is laughable.

SNES wasn't put off my NES.

It's a combination of many, many factors all of which are entirely Nintendo's fault. Now the name, yes, by all means change it to distance the console from the toxic wii, or go after the casuals again, but let's not pretend that's all it is. The system is underpowered, the hardcore have deserted Nintendo in droves thanks to the wii, and they've learned nothing.