Wii U needs price drop or not?

• 77 results
Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) 4 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Wii U needs price drop or not? (58 votes)

I already have Wii U 33%
No, price is fine, im going to buy soon 3%
No, drop price 200 us dollars and i buy 14%
No, drop price 150 us dollars and i buy 26%
No, Wii U has no games. No games = no buy 24%

Gamepad costs 150 dollars. So its half Wii U price. If they dropped Gamepad, then Nintendo could make and sell Wii U at 100 us dollars.

So, Wii U needs price drop to make you buy or not?

#1 Posted by freedomfreak (39158 posts) -

Yeah, it's that simple.

#2 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3474 posts) -

It's fine at the current price.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29506 posts) -

250$ MK8 bundle,do it.

#4 Edited by kitty (114553 posts) -

Me agrees. I bought one recently.

#5 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

My friend said he would buy at this price if Wii U had online games, ranked and DLC, or if no Online but then price 200-150 dollars.

I still think price is too high. Its higher price than Xbox 360 with Kinect which has over 1000 games while Wii U has 50 games at same price

#6 Posted by FinalFighters (1386 posts) -

The price is fine considering it comes with a game. The only thing thats stopping me from buying one is the whole "eShop purchases being tied to the console rather then our accounts".

#7 Edited by PonchoTaco (1975 posts) -

Drop the gamepad? Lol

#8 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

Drop the gamepad? Lol

If Wii U dropped gamepad then Wii u making cost is 99 dollars.

#9 Edited by MonsieurX (29506 posts) -

My friend said he would buy at this price if Wii U had online games, ranked and DLC, or if no Online but then price 200-150 dollars.

I still think price is too high. Its higher price than Xbox 360 with Kinect which has over 1000 games while Wii U has 50 games at same price

Same could be said about X1\PS4 but with even less games

#10 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16823 posts) -

having the lower price doesn't mean much if people don't want the system. the N64 was $100 less than the PS1, the Dreamcast was $100 less than the PS2

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (56015 posts) -

Your friend is an idiot since Wii U has all of those.

Having said that, it does need a price drop- $249 at the max. Bring it into impulse buy territory.

#12 Posted by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -
#13 Posted by Heil68 (43457 posts) -

under $200

#14 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (581 posts) -

That POS is worth $99.99, not more, but could go with less.

#15 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Having said that, it does need a price drop- $249 at the max. Bring it into impulse buy territory.

Nintendo Land has online? pikmin 3 has online? Wii Party U has online? Nope.

#16 Posted by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

You know in a race you're supposed to run forward not backwards right? Because you can't run behind the finish line and then start moving forward pretending you are in first.

#17 Edited by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

You know in a race you're supposed to run forward not backwards right? Because you can't run behind the finish line and then start moving forward pretending you are in first.

Sig

___

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161292107430?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

#18 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6985 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Ryse has online?

#19 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Ryse has online?

Yes

#20 Posted by stuff238 (617 posts) -

Even if it was $100, I can't justify it because the lack of games. Not excited for another mario kart and the couple franchises nintendo rehashes. Plus that wii u tablet is HUGE! It's bigger than the damn system! LOL

#21 Posted by coasterguy65 (5875 posts) -

$200 seems like a good price. $250 with a pack in game might work also, but $300 is a bit pricey.

#22 Posted by farrell2k (5807 posts) -

All the consoles need a price drop. If I can buy $400 pc hardware that outperforms both consoles, they are overpriced. The Wiiu is even worse off.

#23 Posted by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

Even if it was $100, I can't justify it because the lack of games. Not excited for another mario kart and the couple franchises nintendo rehashes. Plus that wii u tablet is HUGE! It's bigger than the damn system! LOL

Highly BS.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (56015 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

No, but Call of Duty does. Splinter Cell does. Wii Sports Club does. Assassin's Creed does. Mario Kart 8 does. Super Smash Bros. does.

#25 Edited by lamprey263 (23142 posts) -

a $300 Deluxe is fine if it's bundled with something, the system just needs more games that warrant buying the system, hopefully Nintendo pulls out all the stops at E3

#26 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13420 posts) -

WiiU needs a pricedrop and to release Xenoblade 2 already.

#27 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Yes. Deperately. Drop it down to $150 and I'd pick one up for sure. As it stands it is currently overpriced.

#28 Edited by charizard1605 (56015 posts) -

Yes. Deperately. Drop it down to $150 and I'd pick one up for sure. As it stands it is currently overpriced.

So it should be cheaper than last gen systems?

#29 Edited by TigerSuperman (1983 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:

Nah, Wii would still be cheaper. But then again, dropping that low this fast would be a gamecube panic way too early and would pretty much confirm the Wii U is dead.

#30 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

Much yes. I still don't see the value in it. If the 3DS SSB blows, then that means I don't have to buy a WiiU. :)

#31 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:

Well, I also think the PS3 and 360 are a little over priced, as they are. However, yes I think that $150 is a fair price point for what the Wii U offers. The machine has great 1st party titles now, and in the near future; but it's also less versatile the current gen machines so that devalues the entire console.

#32 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34143 posts) -

I'd say $250 is the most the Wii U would drop down to realistically.

#33 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5310 posts) -

It needs to be $200.

@FreedomFreeLife said:

"My friend..." Pathetic. It's him.

#34 Edited by emgesp (2082 posts) -

The PS4 selling like hotcakes at $399.99 proves that price isn't the Wii U's issue. The main issue is that the Wii U just isn't an appealing next-gen console. It could be priced at $249.99 and it still wouldn't sell a ton. The general gamer just isn't impressed with what the Wii U has to offer. The only console that could benefit from a price drop would be the XB1 since it is $100 more than the PS4 while being less powerful.

#36 Edited by KittenNose (395 posts) -

Does anyone know how much it cost to make Nintendo games? I don't have a point here I am just wondering if they can get away with charging 20-30 dollars a game.

#37 Posted by Randolph (10468 posts) -

@kitty said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Problem is an awful lot more people don't think it's fine, as the monthly NPD charts illustrate quite clearly. It very obviously needs a booster, and a combination of Mario Kart 8 and a price drop could be just the thing.

#38 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4772 posts) -

Well god damn it, my post that actually took a moment of effort has disappeared into the Glitchspot void, never to be seen.

Guess I'll just leave these here.

Summer fun at Chuck E Cheese
Kinect Sports larping at Freedoms house.

#39 Edited by emgesp (2082 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@kitty said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Problem is an awful lot more people don't think it's fine, as the monthly NPD charts illustrate quite clearly. It very obviously needs a booster, and a combination of Mario Kart 8 and a price drop could be just the thing.

That bundle should have stayed at $299.99. I know we see the value that bundle offers at $329.99, but Dad and Mom heard that the PS4 is the console to get and it is only $70 more than that "Wii Add-on" that isn't selling too well. See Dad and Mom heard from their friends that the PS4 is the "cool" console that all the kids want and that the "Wii Add-On" is lame.

#40 Edited by Speak_Low (942 posts) -

@emgesp said:

The PS4 selling like hotcakes at $399.99 proves that price isn't the Wii U's issue. The main issue is that the Wii U just isn't an appealing next-gen console. It could be priced at $249.99 and it still wouldn't sell a ton. The general gamer just isn't impressed with what the Wii U has to offer. The only console that could benefit from a price drop would be the XB1 since it is $100 more than the PS4 while being less powerful.

This is a very good point. The millions of casuals they've lost just don't care about this console. Price is not the barrier here that's somehow "holding the dam waters back."

When the $500 Xbox One beats the Wii U every month and still has a better a launch, that says it all. When the 360 and PS3 still outsell the Wii U, that says it all.

Dropping the Wii U another $50 isn't going to do much in the long run. The Gamepad is uninteresting to the casual and will never grab them the way the Wii controls did.

Any sales bump you get from MK8 or a $249.99 Wii U will just be a minor psychological victory, something to alleviate their minds from the horrible sales streak the Wii U is seeing. But financially, there is no hope.

This isn't an easy one-step solution. Nintendo Wii U has to sell millions more just to break even and recoup losses from the previous years (did Sheep forget about this part of the equation?), then millions on top to finally begin profitability, then sustain that for years to not lose that profit. It's an exhaustively difficult three-step phase spread across years (all while competing with the enlarging PS4 and X1 fanbases) that they will not be able to accomplish with this console.

They are mathematically out of the game (it's over in terms of profits and even saving the Wii U's reputation) because their corporate mentality is out of it too.

#41 Posted by PsychoLemons (2042 posts) -

Needs more power.

#42 Edited by emgesp (2082 posts) -

@speak_low said:

@emgesp said:

This is a very good point. The millions of casuals they've lost just don't care about this console. Price is not the barrier here that's somehow "holding the dam waters back."

When the $500 Xbox One beats the Wii U every month and still has a better a launch, that says it all. When the 360 and PS3 still outsell the Wii U, that says it all.

Dropping the Wii U another $50 isn't going to do much in the long run. The Gamepad is uninteresting to the casual and will never grab them the way the Wii controls did.

Any sales bump you get from MK8 or a $249.99 Wii U will just be a minor psychological victory, something to alleviate their minds from the horrible sales streak the Wii U is seeing. But financially, there is no hope.

This isn't an easy one-step solution. Nintendo Wii U has to sell millions more just to break even and recoup losses from the previous years (did Sheep forget about this part of the equation?), then millions on top to finally begin profitability, then sustain that for years to not lose that profit. It's an exhaustively difficult three-step phase spread across years (all while competing with the enlarging PS4 and X1 fanbases) that they will not be able to accomplish with this console.

They are mathematically out of the game (it's over in terms of profits and even saving the Wii U's reputation) because their corporate mentality is out of it too.

Couldn't have said it better my friend. I mean realistically how long do people expect Nintendo to support a dead console that is just losing them money? All those Wii U owners should be happy that Nintendo hasn't axed Zelda U by now.

Nintendo is in it to make money, not to please the couple million users who bought a console that turned out to be a flop. The current Wii U install base isn't enough to persuade Nintendo to continue green lighting AAA exclusives on it. Once the Mario Kart Bundle underperforms I think we can all agree that the Wii U is done for.

#43 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

IMO, they should sell an SKU without the tablet controller for $200...

#44 Posted by joehult (363 posts) -

Well, they have so far tried nothing, and that hasn't worked, at all. Maybe something different will get the ball rolling?

#45 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24891 posts) -

@joehult said:

Well, they have so far tried nothing, and that hasn't worked, at all. Maybe something different will get the ball rolling?

Their tactics with Mario Kart and Smash Bros. might work.

#46 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2522 posts) -

They need to release more games and advertise them well enough . They don't need to drop down the price further .

#47 Edited by flashn00b (2906 posts) -

The damage is already done with the Wii U. Once the PS4 and Xbox One run their courses, Nintendo needs to either man the fuck up and grow a pair, or go all in on the handhelds. Personally, I'd want them to third party, but we all know that they'd rather commit mass suicide than do that.

#48 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Mario Kart and Smash will be having online. A few other games have online too.

#49 Posted by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

Needs a price cut bad.

We know the software support won't be there overall, but at least if you cut the price it can be worth it for about 10 or 15 Nintendo games or whatever...

I spent $199 on my 360 as a "secondary console", and that included Skyrim and Forza 4. So I would say my "buy-in" price for Wii-U is about the same. $199 and 2 decent games to start out with.

#50 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@speak_low said:

@emgesp said:

Couldn't have said it better my friend. I mean realistically how long do people expect Nintendo to support a dead console that is just losing them money? All those Wii U owners should be happy that Nintendo hasn't axed Zelda U by now.

Nintendo is in it to make money, not to please the couple million users who bought a console that turned out to be a flop. The current Wii U install base isn't enough to persuade Nintendo to continue green lighting AAA exclusives on it. Once the Mario Kart Bundle underperforms I think we can all agree that the Wii U is done for.

You mean like... every other damn company?