Wii U might get a ban in the US

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

They lost the patent court trial against Philips. Phillips might go as far as to ban it in the US entirely now

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#2 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

They will not ban them they still can appeal and settle by giving money to Phillips when has a console been banned

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Oh noes whatever will Nintendo do then? Woe is Nintendo. All is lost in the world lol That appeal is coming in like a freight train lol

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Just like Apple could stop Samsung from selling phones in the US.....

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

It probably won't be banned, Philips just wants some royalties.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 clyde46

Hang on, in the article it says that a UK court has ruled in favour of Philips. Its the same thing we went through with Apple and Samsung.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I highly doubt that it will get banned. Nintendo wouldn't allow it, they would find some way to get around it.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Highly doubtful that it will actually be banned, but everyone considering getting a Wii U better do so quickly.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

usually when this happens.

pay a sum amount of how much their product has sold AND continue to pay for every unit sold in future

What I find funny is nintendo is a fucking patent stealer. 3ds, ds, wii, wii u all them off top of my had had other company stuff and nintendo was found guilty every time

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46

@bbkkristian said:

I highly doubt that it will get banned. Nintendo wouldn't allow it, they would find some way to get around it.

The law is the law. Its been ruled by a UK court that Nintendo did infinge, Philips are well within their rights to pull rank and demand money for it lest they could stop the Wii U being sold in the UK completely.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

pay a sum amount of how much their product has sold AND continue to pay for every unit sold in future

What I find funny is nintendo is a fucking patent stealer. 3ds, ds, wii, wii u all them off top of my had had other company stuff and nintendo was found guilty every time

It happens alot. see apple and samsung. also patent stealing is the reason why the PS3 didn't have rumble

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@RossRichard said:

It probably won't be banned, Philips just wants some royalties.

No, it probably won't. But it might if they can't settle the royalties

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46

Philips can't request a ban in the US because its Nintendo is not infringing on said patent in the eyes of the US court system currently. Its only the UK that has ruled in Philips favour. Last time I checked, UK patent law doesn't apply in the US.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

They lost the patent court trial against Philips. Phillips might go as far as to ban it in the US entirely now

It's unlikely it will get banned. Nintendo could appeal the decision if Phillips wins in the U.S. case and they would be back in court 1-2 years from now. Nintendo could also pay Phillips off and pay for the licensing for future consoles. Trying to figure out what motion sensor device Phillips ever made.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clyde46

@blackace said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

It's unlikely it will get banned. Nintendo could appeal the decision if Phillips wins in the U.S. case and they would be back in court 1-2 years from now. Nintendo could also pay Phillips off and pay for the licensing for future consoles. Trying to figure out what motion sensor device Phillips ever made.

It doesn't have to exist, if they registered the patent and Nintendo are found guilty of stealing the idea then Nintendo are shit out of luck.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k2theswiss

@darkangel115 said:

@k2theswiss said:

It happens alot. see apple and samsung. also patent stealing is the reason why the PS3 didn't have rumble

Still don't know how apple patent some corners

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@k2theswiss: Apparantly you can patent anything, there was a woman that did it for the sun, and demanded money from everyone using the sun

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Philips can't request a ban in the US because its Nintendo is not infringing on said patent in the eyes of the US court system currently. Its only the UK that has ruled in Philips favour. Last time I checked, UK patent law doesn't apply in the US.

Correct.....

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Um, I read that and they didn't lose in the US as the case is still going on. They lost in the UK. Let's not get our panties in a bunch yet.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I doubt it. Nintendo is appealing the decision in the UK. They'll likely work out a deal with Philips for royalties if all else fails. I can see Nintendo fighting this one has hard as it can before caving in for a deal, though. Trying to ban a console from sales is no joke. The patents themselves are vague and can apply to a variety of other products.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k2theswiss

@The_Last_Ride said:

@k2theswiss: Apparantly you can patent anything, there was a woman that did it for the sun, and demanded money from everyone using the sun

lol, i know it's crazy

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@k2theswiss said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

lol, i know it's crazy

So i mean the whole patent stuff is crazy tbh.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

You're making that up. There's no human that stupid, even Rick Perry would know better than that.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Phillips has two choices. One, get them to ban it, then try to capitalise on it by releasing their own console with a motion controller, which will certainly bomb especially considering motion controllers didn't catch on.

Two, they let Nintendo pay them every single time a console is sold for doing sod all and rake it in. Easy Money.

The wii u wont get banned.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

sounds like something apple would do

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Phillips has sand in the vagina.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Nothing of value will have been lost.

Nintendo already self-imposed ban by making a console nobody wants.

They should get off with time served IMO.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

@2Chalupas said:

Nothing of value will have been lost.

E3 2014 does not agree with you.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

You're making that up. There's no human that stupid, even Rick Perry would know better than that.

Actually you can look it up, there was a women in Spain claiming the patent on the sun

catasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 catasaurus
Member since 2011 • 249 Posts

dont worry, it'll still sell the same

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I hope the UK ruling will be appealed, and I believe Nintendo can potentially reverse the decision. In my viewing Philips patents with how the Wii technology actually works, I'm of the opinion that Nintendo isn't using any of Philips patents. Sure, they do similar things, but the mechanisms that allow for that to happen are completely different. The Philips HCI uses cameras in the controller remote to image process the visual display itself, Nintendo's uses sensor bar IR LEDs to position the cursor on the display. Furthmore, Philips motion controls use cameras and image processing of the users and their movements, Nintendo uses an accelerometer to detect movement on XYZ axes, as well as tilt and pitch; again, completely different.

Anyhow, UK ruled one way, it will be appealed; that's a coin flip. US court decision as well has yet to be seen, and there'll likely be grounds to appeal the decision.

One thing I heard another user here mention before was that Nintendo's Wii patents for motion controls were purchased from another company whose patents on the technology date before the Philips patents.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

sounds like something apple would do

more like something King would do.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm not sure if the article is correct. Last I read, Nintendo got the copyright in the America without question, but they were disputed in other parts of the world. So they could be banned in UK, etc. but not the US.

I could be wrong though.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

inb4SpeakLowOrgasm

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

Philips could do that but it's in their best interest to collect a nice fat settlement CHEQUE.. They don't really gain anything from banning it

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Phillips still exists?

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Wont happen, never does. Didnt Sony face this kind of thing last gen with PS3?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

The question here is if it Does get banned how long would it take for anyone to notice? ;P

Srsly though, 0% chance it happens. If a judge were to rule in favor of an import ban, it would simply be used as leverage to for Nintendo to settle on terms favorable to Phillips.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@f50p90 said:

Philips could do that but it's in their best interest to collect a nice fat settlement CHEQUE.. They don't really gain anything from banning it

Exactly. This isn't like the Apple vs. Samsung cases where their products were competing. Phillips has no products competing with the Wii U so a ban is the last thing they want out of this lawsuit. They're looking for money, plain and simple. I just think it's completely ridiculous how long it took Phillips to sue Nintendo over this. Why?

I think that it should be that if you do not show any intentions of acting on a patent after 5 years then it should be void for anyone to take. It would eliminate all of the patent trolls, not that Phillips necessarily is, but it's a fact that they never made what they're suing Nintendo over.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It won't get banned - Philips just wants its money, Nintendo will oblige.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@Sword-Demon said:

Highly doubtful that it will actually be banned, but everyone considering getting a Wii U better do so quickly.

Or dont do it at all ..

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@speak_low said:

For those saying it will never happen, keep in mind that it did technicallyhappen to Microsoft.

Xbox 360, Windows 7 and other MS products were officially ordered by a German judge to be banned in 2012. This ruling was only overturned at the last moment by another legal proceeding here in the US that put a stop to that. But the point is, things "scarily" went right up (and past) that dreadful line in the sand for Microsoft. Even they couldn't avoid it and they actually prepared for the ban in Germany:

However, Wednesday's ruling is also expected to have little immediate impact for Microsoft's wider European distribution operations as it has already moved its regional software distribution centre to the Netherlands from Germany in anticipation of adverse judgments in the patent trial.

It's unlikely there will be a worldwide/US ban for the Wii U, but I'm not going to apply any percentage. People said that Nintendo would beat the tar out of Philips and they didn't.

There will unlikely be a ban only because Nintendo will have to resolve this through heavy royalty payments to Philips. They aren't going to dodge a ban because they mounted some great defense, and that Philips was wrong and intentionally making fake, frivolous claims (and Nintendo gets away scot-free from all of this).

If this case against Philips ("the patent troll lol!!") was so easy to beat in the first place, then Nintendo wouldn't have lost the first pivotal round and be forced to pay. Now they have to extend this mess into more lengthy and costly court appeals, further entangling rather than clearing their name and actions and moving on. Nintendo could've put a stop to it from Day 1 if the evidence was firmly, convincingly and absolutely on their side, but the judge said they failed to present a coherent case that could refute Philips' legal claims.

Maybe they have Reggie as their lawyer

^This is the greatest wet-dream blogging I've ever read, lol.

No offense Speak, but if you're really waiting for a console ban to be ordered and "actually" carried out (particularly in the U.S.), I think you're going to be very disappointed.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nintendoboy16

@AzatiS said:
@Sword-Demon said:

Or dont do it at all ..

Because I'm sure those who plan to buy a Wii U will surely listen to you. :roll:

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@AzatiS said:
@Sword-Demon said:

Or dont do it at all ..

Because I'm sure those who plan to buy a Wii U will surely listen to you. :roll:

Some that are not that sure about it though they might. What the heck is this , some kind of propaganda or marketing trick ?

" Oh , Wii U might be no more , rush and buy it " rofl big time sheeps !

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Last_Ride

@carljohnson3456 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Wont happen, never does. Didnt Sony face this kind of thing last gen with PS3?

I don't think so

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#50  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah, this thread's wrong on multiple levels:

• The court has only ruled in favor of Philips in the UK, not in the US. If a ban were to be imposed, it would only apply to the UK. UK patent law does not apply to the US.
  • The case has already gone on to appeals. Product sales cannot be feasibly blocked until the appeals have been resolved, and that is a process that might take years- it is actually entirely possible the Wii U's successor is on the market in a couple of years by the time the appeals have even be resolved.
  • Philips doesn't want a ban, it earns absolutely nothing from Wii U being banned. What it does want is royalties, on every Wii U yet sold, as well as every Wii U that will be sold in the future. It also probably wants its own patent highlighted with Wii U documentation for brand recognition. Therefore, even if Nintendo were to lose the appeals (which, to be honest, they almost certainly will), the Wii U won't get banned, but Nintendo will find themselves paying Philips a fair bit of money.