Wii U GPU details,crazy customized fixed function GPU,176-450gflops

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#52 Posted by silversix_ (15266 posts) -

Do Sheep still think the Wii U is going to end up having good graphics?  

Barely 720p at 30FPS in 2013 is laughable.  

PS3 and 360 have garbage graphics, but thankfully those consoles came out 6-7 years ago.  

Fizzman

This. Sheep survived 6 years with ugly looking games for any kind of standards, here's another six for you from the mighty Nintendo.

#53 Posted by Wiiyou (677 posts) -

How can WiiU already have 176-450 game flops?:o

#54 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

Wiiyou

we dont know the theoretical floating point performance. it is possibly a fixed number within that range.

#55 Posted by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -
So is this like the new cell?
#56 Posted by Gue1 (10687 posts) -

no one can save the Wii U now. Weak CPU, weak  GPU and its only advantage is that it has more Ram. The system doesn't even comes with an HDD nor blu-ray playback and Nintendo are selling this garbage for $350. This is easily one of the biggest rip-off of our times. 

#57 Posted by super600 (30862 posts) -

no one can save the Wii U now. Weak CPU, weak  GPU and its only advantage is that it has more Ram. The system doesn't even comes with an HDD nor blu-ray playback and Nintendo are selling this garbage for $350. This is easily one of the biggest rip-off of our times. 

Gue1

Good luck believing that. According to some neogaf users the console is designed like the gamecube. So it's ridiculous hard ot determine what type of games and how good these games may look on the console.

#58 Posted by super600 (30862 posts) -

So is this like the new cell?Pete-B

It's like the gamecube in theory in terms of archeitecture and not power.

#59 Posted by Cruxis27 (1908 posts) -

Cool!!!

Nobody-cares-baby....jpg

#60 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11346 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

super600

Good luck believing that. According to some neogaf users the console is designed like the gamecube. So it's ridiculous hard ot determine what type of games and how good these games may look on the console.

I remember being shocked at how good Rogue Sqaudon II looked on the 'Cube. And that was a luunch game. Still, I don't expect the Wii U to blow me away in technical graphics; the PS4/Nextbox will surely shat in it's face in that regard but I do expect Ninty's art to blow me away at some point.
#61 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11346 posts) -

Cool!!!

Nobody-cares-baby....jpg

Cruxis27
You cared enough to click on this thread.
#62 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

painguy1

we dont know the theoretical floating point performance. it is possibly a fixed number within that range.

the joke went waaaaaaaaaaay over your head lol.
#63 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26224 posts) -

I remember being shocked at how good Rogue Sqaudon II looked on the 'Cube. And that was a luunch game. Still, I don't expect the Wii U to blow me away in technical graphics; the PS4/Nextbox will surely shat in it's face in that regard but I do expect Ninty's art to blow me away at some point.22Toothpicks

Just wait until the new Super Mario, Zelda, or SSB appears and everyone is blown away.

#64 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pete-B"]So is this like the new cell?super600

he's making a joke about the whole "hidden power that must be unlocked" thing.
#65 Posted by gpuking (3016 posts) -
Efficiency of the shader processors from the newer AMD card would obviously be much better than something from 2005. So not surprised wii U 176gflops > 360's 240gflops.
#66 Posted by Heil68 (46127 posts) -
[QUOTE="super600"]

Nice job ninty.A 176GFlop GPU is more powerful then a 240GFlop GPU.

MrYaotubo
That´s not how it works.

Shhh, he'll start talking shadows and draw distance next.
#67 Posted by clr84651 (5527 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"]5% of people here on SW will know what that info actually means. painguy1

too bad for the other 95% i guess :?

TL;DR

Nintendo made super customized hardware that lets it do all the stuff we'd need and want it to do despite having lower theoretical performance. They do all this while  maintaining lower power usage far below what the current gen consoles consume including the redesigned slim versions.

Your post is trying to put a positive spin on the Wii U that was released a few months ago and should have a much higher GPU and CPU capability than the 360 and PS3 and does not. Nintendo underpowered it and created a gimmicky gamepad controller instead. 

That approach does not impress very many people. The novelty of gimmicky Nintendo controllers wore off about 2 years ago and people lost interest in them. Nintendo should've went with CPU & GPU much higher than PS3 and 360 are and went back to standard controls. Everyone that wants to play handhelds buys handhelds. Everyone that wants to play consoles buys consoles. The 2 should've never been put together. 

#68 Posted by super600 (30862 posts) -

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]5% of people here on SW will know what that info actually means. clr84651

TL;DR

Nintendo made super customized hardware that lets it do all the stuff we'd need and want it to do despite having lower theoretical performance. They do all this while  maintaining lower power usage far below what the current gen consoles consume including the redesigned slim versions.

Your post is trying to put a positive spin on the Wii U that was released a few months ago and should have a much higher GPU and CPU capability than the 360 and PS3 and does not. Nintendo underpowered it and created a gimmicky gamepad controller instead. 

That approach does not impress very many people. The novelty of gimmicky Nintendo controllers wore off about 2 years ago and people lost interest in them. Nintendo should've went with CPU & GPU much higher than PS3 and 360 are and went back to standard controls. Everyone that wants to play handhelds buys handhelds. Everyone that wants to play consoles buys consoles. The 2 should've never been put together. 

Why are using GFlops to determine how powerful a console is especially one with weird hardware like the WiiU.

#69 Posted by super600 (30862 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Pete-B"]So is this like the new cell?BrunoBRS

he's making a joke about the whole "hidden power that must be unlocked" thing.

:lol:

#70 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8900 posts) -

Dat hidden Powah!

Really, only Nintendo can unlock that megaton power of the Wii U :P

#71 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Wish I had a spare fvck to give.
#72 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]5% of people here on SW will know what that info actually means. clr84651

TL;DR

im not putting a positive spin on anything. I already admitted that I believe the WiiU is only slightly stronger than current gen. What strikes me as so impressive is its power efficiency, and overall hardware design/architecture(things which I admitted does not necessarily benefit gamers). I could care less how strong any upcoming console is, afterall how much power do you really need for cartoons? :? My PC covers my need for good graphics.

#73 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4767 posts) -

Yeah it's highly customized, it has to do an unusual job with the gamepad.

#75 Posted by KungfuKitten (21284 posts) -

Hmm that is interesting. They focussed as much on electricity consumption with the Wii.
Do you think ther Japanese laws on power consumption are very strict, or that they are building towards something unknown?
Maybe they are using the Wii U and Wii to learn how to turn Reggie into a Terminator.

#76 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43157 posts) -
Digital Foundry analyzed the latest information: "It was ballpark speculation at the time based on what we had eyeballed at the event, but the final GPU is indeed a close match to the 4650/4670, albeit with a deficit in the number of texture-mapping units and a lower clock speed - 550MHz. AMD's RV770 hardware is well documented so with these numbers we can now, categorically, finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U - the GCN hardware in Durango and Orbis is in a completely different league. However, the 16 TMUs at 550MHz and texture cache improvements found in RV770 do elevate the capabilities of this hardware beyond the Xenos GPU in the Xbox 360 - 1.5 times the raw shader power sounds about right. 1080p resolution is around 2.5x that of 720p, so bearing in mind the inclusion of just eight ROPs, it's highly unlikely that we'll be seeing any complex 3D titles running at 1080p." Kinda disappointing, but I knew well enough that I wasn't expecting a powerhouse when I bought the Wii U.