Wii U at 4.3 million units sold!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

THE WII U HAS DONE DID IT! IT HAS DONE SOLD 4.3 MILLION UNITS WORLD WIDE IN OVER A YEAR!

Remember what Reggie said in that other article in the other thread. "Wii u has the advantage and the other consoles will hit a sales wall" and the sales show he was right(?) I mean look at that, almost 4.5 million, which if you imagine if they made it that far, rounds up to 5 million so in a way they have 5 million sold.

Super Mario 3D world is responsible for 215,000+ of the increase.

Now all Wi U has to do is outsell the 3DO in its own country and it will e a massive success in achieving a number bigger than 4.1 million!

#2 Edited by 06 (923 posts) -

....ummm congrats to Nintendo.... I think.

#3 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

You guys are looking at it completely wrong. The fact that Nintendo was able to sell more than 4.3 million consoles with last gen hardware and barely any third party support with not many games at all is pretty damned good actually.

#4 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Dat Cranky Kong gameplay reveal solidified Wii U as da next gen champ

#5 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

You guys are looking at it completely wrong. The fact that Nintendo was able to sell more than 4.3 million consoles with last gen hardware and barely any third party support with not many games at all is pretty damned good actually.

No actuall, Gamecube has less support an it sold over 4.3 million in the same time frame. So did the Dreamcast and CD-I.

#6 Posted by babycakin (1400 posts) -

I predict 5 million sold by the end of 2013 according to my crystal ball that's low on batteries.

#7 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

ok

#8 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Granted the CD-I did not sell 4.3 million, but it still did better than 220k 2nd year.

#9 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

No actuall, Gamecube has less support an it sold over 4.3 million in the same time frame. So did the Dreamcast and CD-I.

The Dreamcast was more powerful than its competition, and so was the Gamecube. Nintendo has managed to convince 4.3 million next gen gamers to buy a next-gen system weaker than its competition. That's amazing! There's no way to spin that!

#10 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16128 posts) -

It is?

#11 Edited by Stringerboy (6949 posts) -

Donkey Kong and Mario kart are going to boost those sales quite a bit.

#12 Edited by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

It is?

You bet it is, considering that those 4.3 million could have bought a 360 or ps3 with a much better software library for half the price.

#13 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

THE WII U HAS DONE DID IT! IT HAS DONE SOLD 4.3 MILLION UNITS WORLD WIDE IN OVER A YEAR!

Remember what Reggie said in that other article in the other thread. "Wii u has the advantage and the other consoles will hit a sales wall" and the sales show he was right(?) I mean look at that, almost 4.5 million, which if you imagine if they made it that far, rounds up to 5 million so in a way they have 5 million sold.

Now all Wi U has to do is outsell the 3DO in its own country and it will e a massive success in achieving a number bigger than 4.1 million!

They should be close to 10 million by now. The original Wii sold over 10 million it's first year I think.

PS4 and XB1 will be at 5 million by the end of March 2013.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (39189 posts) -
@blackace said:

Impossible.

#15 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8713 posts) -

Damn, that's terrible. I don't care how much spin some sheep want to put on it, it's atrocious. Especially since 3 million of that total number was sold before the end of 2012 if I remember correctly.

#16 Posted by Stringerboy (6949 posts) -

@blackace said:

Impossible.

dat sig and avatar

#17 Posted by freedomfreak (39189 posts) -

dat sig and avatar

lol :p

Great place to tug it.

#18 Posted by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

well...look at the vita...vgchartz says its at 6.7 million sold...

if thats true then i am not impressed with 4.5 Million....wiiU should have passed the vita by now.

#19 Posted by trugs26 (5296 posts) -

I called 4.5 million by sometime in January. Although I called it around 2 weeks ago, so it's not that great a prediction lol.

#20 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Yet another crappy Jakandsigz thread.

"They sold 4.3 million I mean look at that, almost 4.5 million, which if you imagine if they made it that far, rounds up to 5 million so in a way they have 5 million sold. "

Can you PLEASE take a break from spamming the New Thread button

#21 Posted by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

Way to go Nintendo! Wii u is leading the next gen race!

#22 Posted by Stringerboy (6949 posts) -
#23 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

The Dreamcast was more powerful than its competition, and so was the Gamecube. Nintendo has managed to convince 4.3 million next gen gamers to buy a next-gen system weaker than its competition. That's amazing! There's no way to spin that!

Uh, the DC was the weakest buy the time it was at its worst and had 3 consoles more powerful than it. The CD-i also you seem to have forgotten erhem, Very good at CG, very good at combining sprites with FMV for beat em ups, very bad at Sprite only games and 3D games.

#24 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3479 posts) -

TCLAHHBO.

#25 Posted by Vatusus (4437 posts) -

WOW!!!

that low? Are we supposed to be impressed? in a year on the market?

#26 Edited by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

Uh, the DC was the weakest buy the time it was at its worst and had 3 consoles more powerful than it. The CD-i also you seem to have forgotten erhem, Very good at CG, very good at combining sprites with FMV for beat em ups, very bad at Sprite only games and 3D games.

You don't know your gaming history, young man. The CDI was released in 1991 and discontinued in 1998, selling only 1 million units. It came out duing the snes generation. The 3do was also a competitor back then, releasing in 1993 and selling 2 million, with discontinuation in 1996. The Dreamcast was released in 98, almost three full years before both the Xbox and PS2. The Dreamcast's main competitor for 90% of its life was the PsOne.

So, to recap: You don't know your gaming history!

#27 Edited by AtariKidX (6211 posts) -

WiiU is doomed.

#28 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

You don't know your gaming history, young man. The CDI was released in 1991 and discontinued in 1998, selling only 1 million units. It came out duing the snes generation. The 3do was also a competitor back then, releasing in 1993 and selling 2 million, with discontinuation in 1996. The Dreamcast was released in 98, almost three full years before both the Xbox and PS2. The Dreamcast's main competitor for 90% of its life was the PsOne.

So, to recap: You don't know your gaming history!

I said in the post below that "The CD-I granted, did not sell 4.3 million"

I am the one who changed the sales figure on that wikipedia page you got your bad research from anyway, i know it sold 1 million. It had it at less than that, took me forever. i am still trying to fight with them over the 10 million sources but I will say they are too vague to be a accurate as my sources for 1 million.

#29 Posted by Couth_ (10016 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

lmao this is pathetic

#30 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

how long till the ps4 and xb1 pass it in sales?

#31 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24918 posts) -

I wonder how 2014 is going to be for WiiU.

at the moment it looks like we will see lots of delays for games that should have already been out just to stretch out the year while the other Consoles get Releases about every month.

#32 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

at the moment it looks like we will see lots of delays for games that should have already been out just to stretch out the year while the other Consoles get Releases about every month.

I suspect it will be much like 2013. Two Nintendo first party releases, one or two third party releases, and not much more.

#33 Posted by freedomfreak (39189 posts) -

I'm gonna end up buying another console sooner than I thought, because the WiiU is gonna hit drought city next year.

#34 Posted by stuff238 (617 posts) -

Couple more weeks. Should pass them by Jan 1st 2014.

#35 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Couple more weeks. Should pass them by Jan 1st 2014.

Wow really? That seems unlikely

#36 Edited by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Jakandsigz said:

They should be close to 10 million by now. The original Wii sold over 10 million it's first year I think.

The WiiU didn't have the greatest system seller game of all time like the Wii did.

People underestimate the role Wii Sports played in pushing Wii sales.

#37 Edited by wiifan001 (18375 posts) -

The vastly superior Wii sold over 7 million in its 1st year.

#38 Posted by david61983 (154 posts) -

The Wii U needs a $100 price drop and fast. It's truly on life support at this point.

#39 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2728 posts) -

Too bad that number will be passed in early 2014 by the ps4.

#40 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

It only took them over a year to double what the PS4 and xbox one did in less than a month individually.

And it still has a shit selection of pitiful ports, and same old franchises jerked off allover again.

#41 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

Anyone still remembers this?

#42 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

@Gargus said:

It only took them over a year to double what the PS4 and xbox one did in less than a month individually.

And it still has a shit selection of pitiful ports, and same old franchises jerked off allover again.

Launches aligned, the wiiu is roughly matching the sales of the ps4 and xb1

#43 Posted by Aparthide (235 posts) -
#44 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4100 posts) -

Seriously, though, I do hope the Wii U does a Phoenix from the ashes and improves its position greatly. We need a second console to challenge and contain the malignant cancer that is the Xbone, and it sure as hell isn't going to be the Ouya.

#45 Posted by jhcho2 (4373 posts) -

Keep telling yourself that. Because companies like Nintendo are in this business to a achieve 'relative success' right? I'm very sure that in Nintendo's board meeting, they gloat about how they sold 4.3 million units in a year despite having last gen hardware, and hence, is a greater achievement than the ps3 and 360 ever were.

#46 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Keep telling yourself that. Because companies like Nintendo are in this business to a achieve 'relative success' right? I'm very sure that in Nintendo's board meeting, they gloat about how they sold 4.3 million units in a year despite having last gen hardware, and hence, is a greater achievement than the ps3 and 360 ever were.

I wonder how old you are, because it seems like children here are the only ones who measure success by market penetration. Look at the Xbox and Playstation brands. Both enjoy a large portion of the market, but the Xbox brand has cost Microsoft more than $3 billion the past decade - it never made one dime from Xbox. Sony has lost hundreds of millions, maybe more than a Billion on the Playstation brand as well. I guarantee you that while the Nintendo board is wondering about sales, they are much more interested in the fact that their company is not losing billions in gaming, like the others are.

#47 Posted by VanDammFan (4230 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

NO..sorry..Xbox was confirmed the leader in power,followed by the GC,then PS2..

#48 Posted by caseypayne69 (5388 posts) -

This is why I come to system wars. Lol funny thread. Also what the hell 4.3 million call it 4.5 million that rounds up to 5 million. Call it 5 million! Please don't work for the space program with that math.

#49 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4040 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@farrell2k said:

But wasn't the Wii extremely weak and that out sold everything.