Why would you NOT buy a Steam Machine

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

please explain I don understand.

For me my living room is my office so the PC is already in the living room

#2 Posted by TheEroica (13387 posts) -

Considering the premium rice these models look to be, it's probably more cost efficient to simply build a full featured PC if youre in the market for PC gaming.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29981 posts) -

Already have a gaming PC?

#4 Edited by AdobeArtist (22845 posts) -

Considering the premium rice these models look to be, it's probably more cost efficient to simply build a full featured PC if youre in the market for PC gaming.

What are the price ranges of the Steam Boxes? (I'm assuming they have more than 1 hardware sku)

#5 Posted by clyde46 (45962 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

What are the price ranges of the Steam Boxes? (I'm assuming they have more than 1 hardware sku)

$500 to over $2K.

#6 Posted by bloodlust_101 (2689 posts) -

No TV + Gaming PC = No need for Steam Machine.

#7 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

so far its been price and because you dont want to move your PC to the living room...So I ask...why dont you want to move your pc to the living room?

I think I am still confused as to why someone would buy a console over a steam machine other then them not having the money

#8 Posted by AdobeArtist (22845 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@TheEroica said:

$500 to over $2K.

So maybe the $500 version can offer more functionality than a console at the same price (relatively speaking). But a $2000 model is pointless when you can get a real PC for that price that not only plays games but offers full functionality beyond just a media center - a system that can be a productivity tool from a home office, to graphics rendering, video and web production. And you wouldn't even need to spend $2000 for all that either.

#9 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@TheEroica said:

$500 to over $2K.

So maybe the $500 version can offer more functionality than a console at the same price (relatively speaking). But a $2000 model is pointless when you can get a real PC for that price that not only plays games but offers full functionality beyond just a media center - a system that can be a productivity tool from a home office, to graphics rendering, video and web production. And you wouldn't even need to spend $2000 for all that either.

from what I understand the $500 model that is currently set for market is just as powerful as both consoles

#10 Posted by Boddicker (2689 posts) -

This is where Valve dropped the ball. They should have released a $500 dollar baseline version that was UPGRADEABLE. That alone would have separated them from consoles. I don't think it would have toppled Sony and MS stranglehold on the console market, but it definitely would have made a sizable dent and lured some consolites away to the world of PC gaming.

Is it just me or am I wrong in assuming Valve released these to compete with consoles? Am I completely wrong on that? At some of these price points I can't imagine what the hell Valve was thinking or who they're targeting. At the $1000+ range you're getting into PC enthusiast territory. I'd like to meet the consolite with no PC experience that's willing to drop 3K on "console."

#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

1: they really are just pc's build your own, duel boot it with win/steam os So you can play everything

2: steam os won't have much support until quite handful people start using it

3: I wish valve would took a smaller way, 3 different systems not 14.... You are just ruining any new potential consumers coming over your side

#12 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

1: they really are just pc's build your own, duel boot it with win/steam os So you can play everything

2: steam os won't have much support until quite handful people start using it

3: I wish valve would took a smaller way, 3 different systems not 14.... You are just ruining any new potential consumers coming over your side

1. it doesnt really explain why people dont just move the PC to the living room which to me does makes sense. However packaging a PC that looks and feels like a console, the same price and everything...literally everything better than a console the question remains...why would someone spend the same for less. it doesnt make sense to me.

#13 Posted by Bishop1310 (1049 posts) -

The price is stupid... build yourself a much more powerful PC... Idiots will of course do the opposite.

#14 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

The price is stupid... build yourself a much more powerful PC... Idiots will of course do the opposite.

the $500 model is just as powerful as a next gen console as I understand.

#15 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

This question I am asking is more geared to those with consoles then those who primarly PC game

#16 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Cos I have a beast PC already

#17 Posted by IgGy621985 (4745 posts) -

Because I can have a Steam Machine right now if I wanted to install SteamOS on my PC, minus official controller.

#18 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6726 posts) -

They seem to have the price of a PC and locked features of a console ( as far a hard to upgrade). They seem caught in the middle somewhere. Purgatory.

#19 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Because I can have a Steam Machine right now if I wanted to install SteamOS on my PC, minus official controller.

this question is more for the console players. I do not understand why one would buy a console over a Steam Machine.

PC thing I get, as I said in my OP my PC is my living room

#20 Posted by MonsieurX (29981 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@IgGy621985 said:

this question is more for the console players. I do not understand why one would buy a console over a Steam Machine.

Console exclusives?

#21 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23612 posts) -

who would buy one?

you can get a better system from cyberpower for the same money (or less depending on what sale is going on)and it will come with a free copy of windows.

and if you want to build your own it will be even less.

steambox = gimped pc.

the entire concept of the steambox is so ridiculous i can't believe it ever got off the ground.

#22 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

who would buy one?

you can get a better system from cyberpower for the same money (or less depending on what sale is going on)and it will come with a free copy of windows.

and if you want to build your own it will be even less.

steambox = gimped pc.

the entire concept of the steambox is so ridiculous i can't believe it ever got off the ground.

this question is more for the console players then the PC players.

I have never owned a console

#23 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Console exclusives?

is that honestly it...?

console exclusives is the only reason to buy a console and not a steam machine

#24 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Pre-build PCs have been around for ages. Why should I start buying them now? A steam logo on the front of the case is the only difference.

#25 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@edidili said:

Pre-build PCs have been around for ages. Why should I start buying them now? A steam logo on the front of the case is the only difference.

this question is more for those who own consoles than PC gamers.

I should have made that more clear

#26 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

I have a PC fully capable of playing video games with that i use it for more than just that.

#27 Posted by Telekill (4507 posts) -

1. My game time is limited and i already have a PS4.

2. Price

#28 Posted by NFJSupreme (5293 posts) -

already have a rig. I'd think about it if i didn't though. Especially with the way GPU prices are right now due to miners.

#29 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Telekill said:

1. My game time is limited and i already have a PS4.

2. Price

the $500 model is just as powerful as both next gen consoles

#30 Posted by clr84651 (5405 posts) -

I have bought a Steam Machine. I use it to clean my hardwood floors. It's great, & you don't have to buy any cleaning solution. The steam cleans the hardwood great with only steam. Lol

#31 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

already have a rig. I'd think about it if i didn't though. Especially with the way GPU prices are right now due to miners.

this question is more for console gamers than PC gamers

#32 Posted by myster_samz (584 posts) -

hear me out

if u got a gamin pc, there jus aint no need for a steam machine ya dig?

#33 Posted by Zassimick (6434 posts) -

The Steam Machine doesn't interest me; if I was wanting to utilize Steam for gaming I would consider building myself a PC first. I'm already satisfied with my consoles though.

#34 Edited by clr84651 (5405 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

please explain I don understand.

For me my living room is my office so the PC is already in the living room

Well then "Don" needs to stop worrying about it so much and enjoy whatever gaming machine he likes. Lol

#35 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

The Steam Machine doesn't interest me; if I was wanting to utilize Steam for gaming I would consider building myself a PC first. I'm already satisfied with my consoles though.

I guess I do not understand.

Steam Machine = virtual reality, full access to all internet enabled servies like pandora with no extra charge plus all the 'in the living room stuff' you enjoy about a console.

I really fail to understand

#36 Edited by clyde46 (45962 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@TheEroica said:

$500 to over $2K.

People spend 10K on a wooden TV stand.

#37 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

hear me out

if u got a gamin pc, there jus aint no need for a steam machine ya dig?

this question is more for console players not pc player.

sorry i have to repeat that but its the best way to be clear

#38 Edited by Zassimick (6434 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

@Zassimick said:

Steam Machine = virtual reality, full access to all internet enabled servies like pandora with no extra charge plus all the 'in the living room stuff' you enjoy about a console.

What's not to understand? It doesn't interest me. I have my Macbook Pro for internet services, or I could use my phone for Pandora. Steam machine = virtual reality? That is what I fail to understand.

I'm satisfied with the consoles I currently have for gaming which is why I buy these consoles.

#39 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@Zassimick said:

What's not to understand? It doesn't interest me. I have my Macbook Pro for internet services, or I could use my phone for Pandora. Steam machine = virtual reality? That is what I fail to understand.

I'm satisfied with the consoles I currently have for gaming which is why I buy these consoles.

why would you have all those devices when you can just have one.

Let me try to break it down,

Feature for feature Steam Machine is better than a console, for games, features and price plus you get the whole couch thing. So what I dont understand is when someone is offered two devices why would they select the one with less features, less games and same price?

and yes...virtual reality is coming in 2 years and its coming massive

#40 Edited by flashn00b (2918 posts) -

Because Valve games aren't enough to carry the system

Looking at the current Linux library, it's clear that Valve aren't spending enough money on the Steam Machine. I'd be much more excited about the Steam Machine if they can announce games like Final Fantasy XV, a Tales game (i.e: Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Tales of Zestiria), and/or a new Disgaea as launch titles...

If Valve wants to sell the Steam Machine, it needs to get a solid launch lineup to get the initial sales needed to convince devs to start working on Linux games.

#41 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Doesn't have the games I want.

#42 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Because Valve games aren't enough to carry the system

Looking at the current Linux library, it's clear that Valve aren't spending enough money on the Steam Machine. I'd be much more excited about the Steam Machine if they can announce games like Final Fantasy XV, a Tales game (i.e: Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Tales of Zestiria), and/or a new Disgaea as launch titles...

If Valve wants to sell the Steam Machine, it needs to get a solid launch lineup to get the initial sales needed to convince devs to start working on Linux games.

but again...it can run windows...

#43 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

the only answer to why a person who doesnt currently own a console would select a console over a steam machine for thier console like experience is exclusives.

not price, not quantity of games, not features, not pure power.

#44 Edited by Zassimick (6434 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@Zassimick said:

Feature for feature Steam Machine is better than a console, for games, features and price plus you get the whole couch thing. So what I dont understand is when someone is offered two devices why would they select the one with less features, less games and same price?

If I was going to have just one device for all of these features I certainly would not waste it on a Steam machine; like I said before, I would consider building myself a PC first.

And it's preference. Could I get Super Mario 3D World on my Steam machine? No, but I can get it on my Wii U. Could I get the next Uncharted on a Steam machine? No, but it's coming to my PS4. Those are the games that interest me.

Much of it may also stem from branding: Sony's Playstation line, Nintendo's consoles, and Microsoft's Xbox brand are household names today, providing options you can't get from another system unlike the Steam machine which you can experience with a PC. Unique experiences available only on one console may be a large part of people's support of a console, like me with the PS4 and Wii U.

#45 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3734 posts) -

I have a gaming rig and see no need for a Steam box since you can just install SteamOS into any PC.

#46 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@Zassimick said:

If I was going to have just one device for all of these features I certainly would not waste it on a Steam machine; like I said before, I would consider building myself a PC first.

And it's preference. Could I get Super Mario 3D World on my Steam machine? No, but I can get it on my Wii U. Could I get the next Uncharted on a Steam machine? No, but it's coming to my PS4. Those are the games that interest me.

Much of it may also stem from branding: Sony's Playstation line, Nintendo's consoles, and Microsoft's Xbox brand are household names today, providing options you can't get from another system unlike the Steam machine which you can experience with a PC. Unique experiences available only on one console may be a large part of people's support of a console, like me with the the PS4 and Wii U.

ok for the sake of simplicity let me turn the question around.

why would anyone buy a console given the choices currently in the market place

#47 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I have a gaming rig and see no need for a Steam box since you can just install SteamOS into any PC.

question is more for console players which is implied in my OP

#48 Posted by Gue1 (9763 posts) -

Naughty Dogs don't make games for it.

#49 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42711 posts) -

I already own a very capable gaming PC, of course. But the OS is bare bones, and I need a PC that can do a variety of different tasks with a multitude of different software.

#50 Posted by Zassimick (6434 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@Zassimick said:

Much of it may also stem from branding: Sony's Playstation line, Nintendo's consoles, and Microsoft's Xbox brand are household names today, providing options you can't get from another system unlike the Steam machine which you can experience with a PC. Unique experiences available only on one console may be a large part of people's support of a console, like me with the the PS4 and Wii U.

ok for the sake of simplicity let me turn the question around.

why would anyone buy a console given the choices currently in the market place

I've already got a backlog on the Wii U, not including games I still haven't purchased and that will be coming out in the future. The PS4 is out on the marketplace right now, and while the next Uncharted may not be I bought it knowing it was coming, knowing I would get to play Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3 and other games.

And serious question because I can't find an answer after a little looking: Are any Steam Machines currently out in the marketplace right now?