Why would anyone work at Gamestop?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

Not even the CEO knows.

#2 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

They need money to pay bills perhaps?

#3 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10955 posts) -

Because they want a paying job?

#4 Edited by Ballroompirate (23927 posts) -

Cause it's better than not having a job?

#5 Edited by freedomfreak (45011 posts) -

p4rgaming

As always, funny stuff.

#6 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

that was such an interesting article. although, it makes my blood boil!

thank you sir who used to have an avatar from katamari or sum'n.

#7 Posted by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

Because people need work and money are obvious answers. Click the link in the OP, see what the guys running the company think about it.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (32198 posts) -

Discount on games?

#9 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@getyeryayasout said:

Because people need work and money are obvious answers. Click the link in the OP, see what the guys running the company think about it.

seems people don't like reading, only writing.

i'm sorry that this place is packed to the brim with philistines.

#10 Edited by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@getyeryayasout said:

seems people don't like reading, only writing.

i'm sorry that this place is packed to the brim with philistines.

I knew I should've made a thread about screen resoulution...

#11 Posted by TTUalumni13 (797 posts) -

An aversion to females would be by guess.

#12 Posted by Darth1337 (64 posts) -

Did anyone here actually read the article?

Aside from clearly being satire, it gave me a laugh.

#13 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9819 posts) -

Well, when national unemployement is still around seven percent (if you live in the U.S.), the place you work sucking means a whole lot less to you.

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (44658 posts) -

P4R. Nice.

#15 Posted by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

@Darth1337 said:

Did anyone here actually read the article?

Aside from clearly being satire, it gave me a laugh.

I 'd just woke up and checked my email, a buddy sent me the article and my satire detector was not on line yet... I mean, of course it's satire. :P

#16 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

@getyeryayasout: haha. i'm guilty.

but believe it or not, i create them because i know i'll get silly misinformation from fanboys. i just like to see what crazy defence they'll volunteer next.

but anyway, it was a pretty funny article. read so well i forgot p4g was a satire website for a while, which usually means its an excellent satire.

#17 Posted by Big_Pecks (5692 posts) -

Unemployment is a terrible thing. GameStop is marginally better.

#18 Edited by cainetao11 (20816 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Winner. So many people here are such moral, white knights, it would seem. Read the link, and as hurtful, and disgusting as it sounds, that is business. If we want big, high production value titles, then we have to accept big business is going to be apart of this. It is cold, and that's the way it is.

#19 Posted by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

@getyeryayasout: haha. i'm guilty.

but believe it or not, i create them because i know i'll get silly misinformation from fanboys. i just like to see what crazy defence they'll volunteer next.

but anyway, it was a pretty funny article. read so well i forgot p4g was a satire website for a while, which usually means its an excellent satire.

The "reasons" given by the CEO were just too accurate and realistic. I found myself siding with them. :P

#20 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16957 posts) -

Why would anyone work any minimum wage job?

Because they really need the money.

#21 Posted by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@Netret0120 said:

Winner. So many people here are such moral, white knights, it would seem. Read the link, and as hurtful, and disgusting as it sounds, that is business. If we want big, high production value titles, then we have to accept big business is going to be apart of this. It is cold, and that's the way it is.

Hell yes it's big business, I just read an article about Bobby Kotick from Blizzard/Activision recently recieving a $7.83mil bonus for performance in 2013. $7.83mil bonus. Let it sink in a bit...

#22 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2753 posts) -

I've worked for the company in the past, before college and real work happened, and it's a horrendous place to be a part of. It's cool for the few times you actually get to talk about games and such, but the entire business model for its employees is designed around them putting as much money as they possibly can back into the company.

Almost everyone I've known to work there, besides myself, was spending almost their entire paycheck at Gamestop.

#23 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1134 posts) -

Poor man's The Onion.

#24 Posted by getyeryayasout (8748 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I've worked for the company in the past, before college and real work happened, and it's a horrendous place to be a part of. It's cool for the few times you actually get to talk about games and such, but the entire business model for its employees is designed around them putting as much money as they possibly can back into the company.

Almost everyone I've known to work there, besides myself, was spending almost their entire paycheck at Gamestop.

One of my co workers is a former employee at Gamestop, she misses taking games home, but that's about it. She even mentioned how much of her paycheck was going back into the store. It's like hiring junkies to sell smack.

#25 Posted by AdobeArtist (23107 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

A lot of what I've heard about their employment structure places great stress on the staff, particularly with the forced incentive to push pre-orders on customers who just walk in to buy a game and be on their way.

The way I heard it, staff are performance evaluated based on how many pre-orders they take in, with a lot of pressure placed on the lowest stat employees. Not sure if this is accurate but the impression given being that their job placement is at risk if the numbers are too low. And then there's just the kiosk system that pressures staff to persuade customers to switch their new game purchase to a used copy, as the store reaps better profits from used games.

Needing to bring in a pay check is one thing, but there comes a point when someone's gotta ask if the hassle is worth it, especially at minimum wage. Can any ex-employees verify what I described above?

#26 Edited by Spartan070 (16388 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Because they want a paying job?

@Ballroompirate said:

First 3 responses, thread dies.

I worked at EB Games when that existed, it was great. People would bring in their old 3DOs, Sega Nomads, Colecovisions etc in and just leave them there because we wouldn't take them as trade-in so they figured they were worthless.

Got a mint copy of Mario RPG for SNES from someone that way.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19345 posts) -

Don't Worry don't worry, He can fix this !

LOL What a huge mistake !

#28 Edited by SolidTy (46626 posts) -

A lot of lulzy drama in those comments. "Canucks vs. 'Mericans" and then "Canuck on Canuck" action.

#29 Posted by RossRichard (2720 posts) -

Because it's better than Wal-Mart.

#30 Posted by sandbox3d (5151 posts) -

Yay, satire.

The reality is, sometimes you need to work shit jobs just to get by. Plus you have an abundance of gamers out there that think it would be a dream job.

#31 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9637 posts) -

For the free coffee?

#32 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

This. Why else?

#34 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8525 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

This.

And lolp4r

#35 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

@SolidTy: haha. i didn't even read the comments until you mentioned them. they're pretty funny, trolling, anti-trolling, counter-psuedo reverse anti-trolling

basically i don't know watts reel any more.

#36 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19770 posts) -

Gamestop sucks, plain and simple. Thank god for Amazon and eBay

#37 Edited by SolidTy (46626 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

@SolidTy: haha. i didn't even read the comments until you mentioned them. they're pretty funny, trolling, anti-trolling, counter-psuedo reverse anti-trolling

basically i don't know watts reel any more.

Hahahaaha...I know, I spent an hour outside after reading those comments, softly touching various Albertine flowers, singing to the wind, and ogling at the clear blue sky to get a grip on reality. Besides words, or even binary coding on the page, those comments seem composed of some soul shattering components. I am apprehensive I will ever fully recover and shake it all off.

I might be premature, but I'm getting a scrip to help me combat my self diagnosed Post traumatic stress disorder. Best everyone just keep away from that page if they know what's good for them.

#38 Edited by tonitorsi (8659 posts) -

Gamestop gets a bad rep from their horrible business.

For part time jobs, you''re best off with better retail markets. You can make a heck of a lot more money on big companies such as Macy's and the struggling JCPenney. They even shoot out Full time positions if you're a worthy asset to their business.

I worked on JCPenney and I was making +$800 bi-weekly, based on my experience and because I'm bilingual.

Working at Gamestop is wack. No gains, no long-term positions, no benefits whatsoever.

Furthermore, the company itself will eventually struggle in the future considering Sony is planning to expand their PS Now business to mass digital video game streaming, which will possibly detriment their market substantially.

#39 Posted by freedom01 (1198 posts) -

Read the article then went to the comment section of the article, had a good laugh at the comments.

#40 Posted by clr84651 (5567 posts) -
@Ballroompirate said:

This

#41 Edited by PSP107 (12591 posts) -

I’ve been to hundreds of our stores and I have the same thought every time I walk in those front doors: why do people want to work here?” said Raines over the laughter of Bartel and Lloyd, “No really, why? I know the economy is bad, but there are definitely better places to work. Our stores seem to attract some of the worst shoppers, but that’s a given considering we work with video games.”

lol, worst shoppers.

#42 Posted by uninspiredcup (14047 posts) -

To earn money to put food on the table.

#43 Posted by blamix99 (2586 posts) -

if you love games and need money, it'll be fun

#44 Posted by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

The majority of frontline retail jobs suck. The pay is also very low. Most of the times the workers can't even afford the stuffs they are selling.

#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (14047 posts) -

@hoyalawya said:

The majority of frontline retail jobs suck. The pay is also very low. Most of the times the workers can't even afford the stuffs they are selling.

In Africa little girls are known to walk miles to fill up on parasite ridden water every day. Maybe they should swap places like a shitty reality tv show, be cool.

#46 Posted by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

While Gamestop is certainly not the most glamorous job I think its safe to say that there plenty of worse options out there.

#47 Posted by PSawa (25 posts) -

Cause Tom McShea is a dumbass.

#48 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

if you love games and need money, it'll be fun

Not really no. A couple friends have worked there in the past and said it was pretty terrible. Annoying customers who would either try to quiz you on video game knowledge and then question your ability to do your job as a salesman while they dissuade people not to buy a bad video game, or people who just have no clue what they're doing. The constant push for subscriptions and pre-orders was also a drag, my one friend is much happier working as a veterinarian technician than a gamestop employee for multiple reasons.

#49 Posted by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@hoyalawya said:

In Africa little girls are known to walk miles to fill up on parasite ridden water every day. Maybe they should swap places like a shitty reality tv show, be cool.

I see the parallel. Both have no way out.

#50 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

I have no idea why anyone would work a minimum wage job in the first place. Yeah I understand that not everyone is qualified or lucky enough to have a good, well-paying job, but it's beyond me why anyone would get up every day and go to some shitty job you hate that doesn't pay enough to be worth it at the end of the day. You would be forced to live in a shitty apartment, you wouldn't be able to support a family, you wouldn't be able to have much of a social life, so what's the point? It's basically just survival - you aren't fulfilled in any way, you're simply going through the motions just to stay alive and reaping none of the benefits of life.

There is my philosophical view on why nobody should work a minimum wage job. Sell drugs instead if you have to. At least that's un-taxable, pays way better, and you don't have to put on some bullshit uniform with a nametag, pretending to be happy in front of the customers although you secretly can't wait to go home and kill yourself.