Why Wii U is The Obvious Choice Over PS4 & Xbox One

  • 65 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

This past week both PSN and Xbox Live have been hacked,

PSN went down for maintenance again yesterday from 1pm to 8pm (PSN down twice in one week).

Hard drive upgrades is a factual eventuality on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Purchased games on PSN cannot be played during network maintenance.

Both PS4 & Xbox One require every disc based game to be installed.

More constant game updates on Xbox One & PS4 games than any Nintendo title.

Wii U has always supported external hard drives out of the box, although not needed any time soon because of no mandatory game installs.

Nintendo network although not as streamlined as PSN or Live works very smoothly with nearly no outages or maintenance hassles to interrupt gamers play sessions.

Ability to play games via game pad controller while others watch TV.

Lastly the most obvious reasons to choose Wii U over PS4 and Xbox One is all the Nintendo 1st party exclusives which can only be found on Nintendo systems are still the best exclusives overall.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30484 posts) -

Hard to go down when you don't really have an online system

#3 Edited by cainetao11 (17775 posts) -

@Slimmin360: I like the games coming to X1 more at this point.

#4 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

Xbox Live got hacked?

#5 Edited by Dannystaples14 (970 posts) -

@Slimmin360: Hard drive upgrades a factual inevitability. Man some people really need to learn how to delete things. Most people were complaining about the 20GB hard drive on Xbox 360 for years and I only upgraded that about a year ago.

Not to mention Xbox and Playstation are actually capable of making new games that weren't out of date in the 90s. I mean they just made a new Donkey Kong that was basically the old Donkey Kong with better visuals. Nintendo are stuck in the past and until they come into the present I will never buy their console.

#6 Posted by Sphensen (769 posts) -

damn right

#7 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17973 posts) -

Lol good luck with thay

#8 Edited by Doozie78 (348 posts) -

I can't agree with the OP. The U is a crapper, I already tried to stomach it and I couldn't handle more than 7 months of the U. Even when the two better console's online systems are down they're still about as serviceable as a fully operational U.

#9 Posted by Ghost120x (3919 posts) -

First party on Nintendo is excellent but there is only so many first party games that come out in a given year.

Missing out on big games like, assassins creed, gta, Bethesda games, batman arkham games and so on, isn't really helping. Especially since the console market sales are growing in western markets.

The hardware is okay but I still find the OS functions to be slower than competition and in the eshop you can't add things to a cart and purchase multiple games at a time, so you have to click on stuff often.

#10 Posted by blackace (20890 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:

Hard to go down when you don't really have an online system

This ^ ^ ^ and Nintendo doesn't have that many online playing games. They've also losed a huge, huge amount of 3rd party support compared to what they had for the original Wii. Don't get me wrong, The Wii U is still worth owning, but only for it's exclusives. I can't think of anyone who would waste money on a Wii U multiplat if the game is on the PS4, XB1 or PC. In any case, the Wii U is the 3rd option when it comes to 8th Gen game consoles.

#11 Edited by lostrib (37791 posts) -

Tl;dr

You hyped the ouya so I find it hard to take anything you say seriously

#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8215 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Tl;dr

You hypedy the ouya so I find it hard to take anything you say seriously

LOL ouya

#13 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

When was Xbox Live and PSN hacked in the last year?

#14 Posted by Heil68 (45245 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@lostrib said:

Tl;dr

You hypedy the ouya so I find it hard to take anything you say seriously

LOL ouya

#15 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (585 posts) -

Sorry but owning all 3 next-gen consoes is the only way I see it and I go where the exclusive games, lands.

#16 Posted by Xisiuizado (57 posts) -

@Slimmin360:

The false is strong with you! Anyway, the hard drive upgrade is nothing in the XBox 1 since it has external support. Also, since I'm going all digital one I get an X1, discs needing installing isn't an issue either. Plus, with games being tied to an account, a person can buy a single digital title on the X1 and share it on two consoles in the house. This will be great if I can talk my wife into playing games again. Two full screens on two X1s sounds like a ton of fun!

You claim that the Nintendo published games are a definite plus, but I, as well as MANY others, will disagree. I sold my Wii to get an X360 in 2011. While I had fun playing Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, and many other games, I was STUNNED by the plethora of variety and greater quality of the titles on the 360. There are more exclusives, there is more variety, and there are even MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY games on the Microsoft and Sony consoles than Nintendo's home systems. Basically, the 360 turned the Wii into a bad joke. Even my kids had more fun on the 360 thanks to the greater variety of games. We had a ton of fun playing tennis, bowling, racing, and TimeSplitters. However, the depth, quantity, variety, and quality of the titles on non-nintendo systems eliminate the Wii U as a primary console for most people.

In addition to that, and more, the X1 and PS4 are cheaper too. Nintendo's games are far too expensive compared to the games on the other systems. This is due to the lack of competition on the Nintendo. There are so few games on the system, that certain titles are owned by large portions of the install base. On the X1 and PS4, there are more major titles coming out in the second half of this year than the Wii U may see in its entire lifespan. It's quite ridiculous. Also, the yearly online fees of $40-$60 per year is nice for the free games. The IGC and GWG programs offer tons of value for less than or equal to the price of a single Nintendo first party game.

There is so much more, such as the software updates actually being good on the X1 and voice control over an entertainment center, but I'll stop here. Basically, unless a gamer only enjoys Nintendo games and doesn't mind getting almost zero support outside of Nintendo, then the Wii U is a bust.

Signed,

A person who played and owned the NES, SNES, N64, GC (with GB player), and a Wii and will NOT go back without a far greater catalog than Nintendo ever provides.

#17 Posted by DocSanchez (1652 posts) -

@Slimmin360: So pretty much all of your arguments can be made in favour of owning an Atari 2600 apart from the usual over exaggeration about the quality of Nintendo's first party, which at this point can pretty much solve all the problems in the Middle East if you ask Nintendo fanboys.

#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72488 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Hard to go down when you don't really have an online system

pretty much this, also no one attacked them either

#19 Posted by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

I own a Wii U and a PS4. Do I win?

#20 Posted by Telekill (4725 posts) -

My PS4 is the obvious choice over WiiU and X1 for me. It has and will have the games I want to play.

#21 Edited by Bigboi500 (30106 posts) -

Get any two system combination out of the three, and then you wont have to make bad System Wars threads because you'll have games to play.

#22 Edited by dalger21 (1169 posts) -

Without a legitimate online service, it's hard to imagine Nintendo being taken seriously anytime soon.

#23 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

I'm probably one of the few that does not care about online services, I prefer people hosting their own server (at least it can never been taken offline). These new services are just a gimmick if everyone was to lease their own online server with the money they pay to Sony and Microsoft everyone would have a better service.

#24 Posted by parkurtommo (27255 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

I'm probably one of the few that does not care about online services, I prefer people hosting their own server (at least it can never been taken offline). These new services are just a gimmick if everyone was to lease their own online server with the money they pay to Sony and Microsoft everyone would have a better service.

That's not how it works.

#25 Posted by AzatiS (7656 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

This past week both PSN and Xbox Live have been hacked,

PSN went down for maintenance again yesterday from 1pm to 8pm (PSN down twice in one week).

Hard drive upgrades is a factual eventuality on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Purchased games on PSN cannot be played during network maintenance.

Both PS4 & Xbox One require every disc based game to be installed.

More constant game updates on Xbox One & PS4 games than any Nintendo title.

Wii U has always supported external hard drives out of the box, although not needed any time soon because of no mandatory game installs.

Nintendo network although not as streamlined as PSN or Live works very smoothly with nearly no outages or maintenance hassles to interrupt gamers play sessions.

Ability to play games via game pad controller while others watch TV.

Lastly the most obvious reasons to choose Wii U over PS4 and Xbox One is all the Nintendo 1st party exclusives which can only be found on Nintendo systems are still the best exclusives overall.

1) lol

2) lol

3) lol

4) agreed

5) lol

6) lol

7) lol

8) lol

9) loooool

10) The difference here is that PS4 and X1 have BOTH exclusives AND 3rd party support .... Wii U has only those 1st party exclusives worth mention.

So if those are the reasons for someone to favor Wii U over PS4 or even X1 ... sorry bro !! A mario game and a kart cant compete with what Wii U missing 3rd party wise. Not even close.

#26 Posted by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

Don't care, if i want to i can buy games off Nintendo e-shop, and play games online with the Wii-U and thats all ya' really need from any online service, and those functions work perfectly on Nintendo's network.

#27 Posted by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

not everything you stated is true i had no problems playing my digital games yesterday , i agree the Wii U is worth getting for its exclusives.I have all the current gen systems besides a worthy PC and always do.

#28 Edited by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

For people on an extremely tight budget, to be able to buy something for $99 and download or demo hundreds of games for free is a good deal..... I would never prefer it to a genuine console, but it's a good cheap alternative for those who can't afford current gen hardware or games.

#29 Posted by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

I abandoned and willingly traded my PS4 for my Wii-U because after the PSN network went down twice in one week, and the 500gb harddrive had like 90gb's left with 15 games installed, most of which i couldn't even play with the network being down.......I gave up, i was tired of worrying about when the network would crash next and when or how much i would have to spend on an internal or external (if it's ever supported) hard drive replacement.

#30 Posted by jg4xchamp (48403 posts) -

Buy the WiiU if you want a video game console that gets the least amount of video games.

#31 Posted by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

Really ??? because to most gaming mags and websites around the world, Nintendo won 2014's E3, simply by showing such titles as.....

The new Zelda, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Super (customize your own) Mario.

So you'd better get your facts straight.

#32 Posted by Prawephet (310 posts) -

@edwardecl: People think that a DDOS attack means the networks were hacked.

It's just ignorance is all that's happening there.

#33 Posted by Bigboi500 (30106 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Buy the WiiU if you want a video game console that gets the least amount of video games.

Buy the Wii U if you want the best exclusives consoles have to offer. Buy the PS4 if you want quality exclusives and multiplats. Buy Xbox One if you want Halo and EA Access.

#34 Posted by super600 (30722 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Hard to go down when you don't really have an online system

People can DDOS the Nintendo Network servers if they wanted to, but no one ever does it.

#35 Edited by farrell2k (6382 posts) -

lol. All I see a bunch of butt hurt lemmings and cows upset over the fact that the WiiU once again demonstrates why it is the best console on the market!

#36 Edited by PapaTrop (1357 posts) -

I only agree because sensible people will get a PC first instead of a PS4 or Xbox One.

Wii U is the best secondary system to pair with a PC.

#37 Edited by Speak_Low (1097 posts) -

Sheep always say a Nintendo console is best but then quickly follow it by saying "if paired with a PC"

While there are a lot of multi-console owners out there, and some console/PC gamers, there are also tens of millions of mainstream gamers who just game on weekends and don't play on PC or buy 2-3 consoles. As a standalone, the Wii U is the worst choice if you want more online games, more diversity (where's my choices for more RPGS, action RPGS, story-driven games, Uncharted-like games, fighters that aren't SSBU, sports that isn't Wii Sports, racing games that aren't MK8 and technologically-impressive games that don't look like ugly Bayo 2/X?)

Even the indie scene on the Wii U is just okay but not that impressive. So unless you are fine spending over $300 and really love Mario, Zelda and MK and Nintendo exclusives but don't mind waiting for 6 months at a time for something worthwhile, then go ahead. But to say this style of waiting forever is the choice for tens of millions of gamers out there is absurd. Good thing they aren't listening to you, have already made their own choice, and are ignoring the Wii U and going for PS4/X1 instead. They know the games that are available for all systems and are capable of making their own choices, and know better than anyone else how much time they have reserved for gaming, and how many platforms they should own each gen (and they want ample choices and variety every month, not more waiting and stupid Nintendo droughts where the leaves outside change color by the time something arrives).

#38 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Your argument made me throw up in my mouth a little

#39 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

@papatrop said:

I only agree because sensible people will get a PC first instead of a PS4 or Xbox One.

Wii U is the best secondary system to pair with a PC.

Till the wii u emulator gets stable the the wii u will be worth less than a doorstop.

#40 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@papatrop said:

I only agree because sensible people will get a PC first instead of a PS4 or Xbox One.

Wii U is the best secondary system to pair with a PC.

Till the wii u emulator gets stable the the wii u will be worth less than a doorstop.

Not everyone wants to fuck around with emulation, not that we should be talking about that anyways

#41 Posted by AzatiS (7656 posts) -
@Slimmin360 said:

I abandoned and willingly traded my PS4 for my Wii-U because after the PSN network went down twice in one week, and the 500gb harddrive had like 90gb's left with 15 games installed, most of which i couldn't even play with the network being down.......I gave up, i was tired of worrying about when the network would crash next and when or how much i would have to spend on an internal or external (if it's ever supported) hard drive replacement.

Exagerations of a sheep , thats all there is to it....

#42 Posted by AzatiS (7656 posts) -
@speak_low said:

Sheep always say a Nintendo console is best but then quickly follow it by saying "if paired with a PC"

While there are a lot of multi-console owners out there, and some console/PC gamers, there are also tens of millions of mainstream gamers who just game on weekends and don't play on PC or buy 2-3 consoles. As a standalone, the Wii U is the worst choice if you want more online games, more diversity (where's my choices for more RPGS, action RPGS, story-driven games, Uncharted-like games, fighters that aren't SSBU, sports that isn't Wii Sports, racing games that aren't MK8 and technologically-impressive games that don't look like ugly Bayo 2/X?)

Even the indie scene on the Wii U is just okay but not that impressive. So unless you are fine spending over $300 and really love Mario, Zelda and MK and Nintendo exclusives but don't mind waiting for 6 months at a time for something worthwhile, then go ahead. But to say this style of waiting forever is the choice for tens of millions of gamers out there is absurd. Good thing they aren't listening to you, have already made their own choice, and are ignoring the Wii U and going for PS4/X1 instead. They know the games that are available for all systems and are capable of making their own choices, and know better than anyone else how much time they have reserved for gaming, and how many platforms they should own each gen (and they want ample choices and variety every month, not more waiting and stupid Nintendo droughts where the leaves outside change color by the time something arrives).

+1

Exactly my thoughts ( more or less ) ....

#43 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7428 posts) -

@Slimmin360: great points. You forgot that Nintendo doesn't appeal to gamers over 12 years old. Just saying brah.

#44 Posted by super600 (30722 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Slimmin360: great points. You forgot that Nintendo doesn't appeal to gamers over 12 years old. Just saying brah.

I hope you are trolling because that isn't true anymore.

#45 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7428 posts) -

@super600: I ment it, I said it, I stole my momma's credit.

#46 Posted by Heirren (17387 posts) -

I'd rather have nintendos online than the current form of Xbox and playstation. The online for those consoles is the worst thing about them.

#47 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@parkurtommo said:

@edwardecl said:

I'm probably one of the few that does not care about online services, I prefer people hosting their own server (at least it can never been taken offline). These new services are just a gimmick if everyone was to lease their own online server with the money they pay to Sony and Microsoft everyone would have a better service.

That's not how it works.

That's not how what works? Seems to work on PC just fine, people can host their own servers in game or set up dedicated servers from hosting providers or their own PC, the only thing needed is a lookup server to get a server list. Then the whole online thing would be free and a lot harder to take down through DDOS attacks and maintenance.

Wish this cloud nonsense would go away it's not adding anything of any value.

#48 Posted by parkurtommo (27255 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

@parkurtommo said:

@edwardecl said:

I'm probably one of the few that does not care about online services, I prefer people hosting their own server (at least it can never been taken offline). These new services are just a gimmick if everyone was to lease their own online server with the money they pay to Sony and Microsoft everyone would have a better service.

That's not how it works.

That's not how what works? Seems to work on PC just fine, people can host their own servers in game or set up dedicated servers from hosting providers or their own PC, the only thing needed is a lookup server to get a server list. Then the whole online thing would be free and a lot harder to take down through DDOS attacks and maintenance.

Wish this cloud nonsense would go away it's not adding anything of any value.

I know it seems baffling, but some people don't want to go through that.

#49 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (875 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

This past week both PSN and Xbox Live have been hacked,

Not true. You don't know what you are talking about. You sound dumb already.

PSN went down for maintenance again yesterday from 1pm to 8pm (PSN down twice in one week).

Fixing problems and making improvements. Sony really is going in the wrong direction.

Hard drive upgrades is a factual eventuality on both PS4 and Xbox One.

You'll also have to buy memory for the paltry 32 GBs Kidtendo gives you. Maybe not, there does seem a dearth of digital content on their store.

Purchased games on PSN cannot be played during network maintenance.

Wrong. You are a dumbass.

Both PS4 & Xbox One require every disc based game to be installed.

Reduces loadtimes. Considering both the PS4's and Bone's HD is over 10x bigger than the WiiU, don't see the problem. Can you even install games to the WiiU?

More constant game updates on Xbox One & PS4 games than any Nintendo title.

I don't see why this matters. Like at all.

Wii U has always supported external hard drives out of the box, although not needed any time soon because of no mandatory game installs.

So does the Bone. PS4 will eventually too. Not like it's necessary. Not sure why you'd choose an external when you can slap a cheaper and bigger laptop HD into your PS4.

Nintendo network although not as streamlined as PSN or Live works very smoothly with nearly no outages or maintenance hassles to interrupt gamers play sessions.

Because no one plays or cares about it. Does Nintendo still sell Wii Speak? LMAO

Ability to play games via game pad controller while others watch TV.

Great for kids. I'm sure you'd love it.

Lastly the most obvious reasons to choose Wii U over PS4 and Xbox One is all the Nintendo 1st party exclusives which can only be found on Nintendo systems are still the best exclusives overall.

And yet, not nearly as many games to play.

#50 Edited by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

Some of us have families to support and can't afford more than one console or to support a game library for more than one console.

However even if i had the funds, i wouldn't because the network issues and hard drive issues aren't worth the trouble on PS4 and X1.