Why WII U failed.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2344 posts) -

Wii really changed gameplay.

Wii had cheap price, great controller and games.

Wii U has no games at all(even now). Price is almost high as next gen PS4. Really? Also controller is crap.

Why would i want to play golf and tennis with normal controller? This is more like solo than family/group/party game.

Aslo, why everything looks so bad?

Back in 2006 and 2007 i remember going into shop and i saw how everyone tried Wii tennis and golf. Everyone were happy. Price was cheaper too. It was something new to gaming.

Now going in 2013 in shop Wii U is behind glasses. Everyone askes: What is this? Is it Wii addon? What i can do with that? Nobody really tries that, nobody has fun with that. Also no games to play. Why should anyone buy Wii U when we have now Xbox One or PS4 with better grahpic and games(plus online)? I mean those 3 consolers are controller consoles. Even Xbox One Kinect is way better than Wii U.

Nobody wants to buy Wii U but buying instead Xbox One Kinect.

In short:

Wii U is nothing than controller console and nothing new.

Why would anyone buy Wii U when we have PS4?

If we want party games then everyone will buy Kinect.

Wii U controller players went over PS4 and Xbox One, and Wii players went over Xbox One Kinect.

WELL DONE NINTENDO!

#2 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

WE

ALL

KNOW

WHY

IT

FAILED

NO MORE THREADS ON IT...

#3 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

What makes you think it failed? Nintendo is still in business and will have close to 5 million units by the end of this year. You mean it didn't meet Nintendo's expectations? Well, that happens with a lot of products, doesn't mean it's over. You also have to take into account the year long wait for next gen that hampered sales. But overall, fail ? nah. Just look at Nintendo;s 2014 lineup compared to ps4 and x1. Plenty of time to make up.

#4 Edited by ImDaMan4Realz (94 posts) -

Summary: It failed because it fails at everything.

#5 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

It failed because its a piece of shit.

#7 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

The Wii U hasn't and won't fail depending on a persons definition. It's a mediocre Nintendo only box because Nintendo refuse to expand their way of thinking and embrace modern gaming standards. Not to mention the majority of their core fanbase are drones who forgive anything as long as a new Mario or Zelda is coming out.

#8 Edited by Wild_man_22 (585 posts) -

I dont know man my grammar isnt great but that was pretty rough.

#9 Posted by emgesp (2122 posts) -

@mrintro said:

What makes you think it failed? Nintendo is still in business and will have close to 5 million units by the end of this year. You mean it didn't meet Nintendo's expectations? Well, that happens with a lot of products, doesn't mean it's over. You also have to take into account the year long wait for next gen that hampered sales. But overall, fail ? nah. Just look at Nintendo;s 2014 lineup compared to ps4 and x1. Plenty of time to make up.

Dude, the Wii U is bombing harder than the Gamecube.

#10 Posted by Chrome- (1662 posts) -

Game wise its doing better than both the X1 and PS4.

#11 Posted by kemar7856 (11506 posts) -

no games is the reason

#12 Posted by madsnakehhh (14268 posts) -

Price and lack of games, as easy as that.

#13 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8718 posts) -

@Chrome- said:

I would certainly hope so considering it's been out a year longer.

#14 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1476 posts) -

@Chrome- said:

Not only that, but the X1/PS4 have been out barely a month.

#15 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Last gen specs with a shit library and a controller that will cost me $150 to replace is what killed the Wii U off for me.

#16 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

No games even now? Really??

#17 Posted by Basinboy (11085 posts) -

Hardware, feature set, games, and ecosystem

#18 Edited by greensand24 (379 posts) -

I will never understand Reggie. I will never understand Iwata. I will never understand Nintendo.

First of all the wii u should have spelled the wii. Right now people don't get the wii u. It's basically like the wii now with prettier visuals and a big gimmicky expensive controller.

They should've just aimed for wii u specs from the get-go and the wii would not have existed. If they would've done that then they could've avoided playing the catch up game in the hardware and online space that they find themselves in now.

Also they need to just release a console spec-wise that can make third parties smile. You cannot just rely on first party.

Why is Nintendo so scared to release mature games along with a powerful machine to compete with MS and Sony.

Yes they have some third party games but when you compare them to the other consoles why would I buy it on wii u?

Long story short Nintendo has some of if not the best exclusive catalogue of all the consoles BUT until they....

A. Commit to releasing a powerful machine to keep pace with MS and Sony....and.....

B. Commit to having ALL third parties aboard for the ride...

Then nobody will take them serious.

Why is it so bad to release a competitive powerful machine where I can play the best looking/ performing games AND having the option to play Mario or Witcher 3 on a daily basis?

Just release a powerful machine you morons and you will own the market. You have the first party. Now just get the third parties once you release that powerful machine cause that machine ain't the wii u compared to Sony and MS.

Why is this so hard for Reggie and Iwata to understand?

#19 Edited by MonsieurX (29981 posts) -

350$,not sure where you got that.

The deluxe has been sold for 250$ for several weeks here,and tons of people even grabbed it for 180$

#20 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

I didnt see an official statement of it failing, oh System Wars, the convoluted disease is so freshening

#21 Posted by Gue1 (9763 posts) -
#22 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8718 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Chrome- said:

Exactly, it's such a strange argument to use in defense of the Wii U.

#23 Posted by trugs26 (5388 posts) -

Wii Sports came out long after it was struggling. It's hardly the reason. You should have posted Nintendo Land screenshots to at least make it relevant.

#24 Edited by Gue1 (9763 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@mrintro said:

Dude, the Wii U is bombing harder than the Gamecube.

more like "harder than the Dreamcast!" and its attach rate is lower too! XD

The Dreamcast sold nearly 10 millions in 1 year and the PS3 too, and both had higher attach rate than the Wii U like way higher.

#25 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Gue1: you really going to compare those numbers to post pc era and the fact that we are in the worst recession since great depression?

#26 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1476 posts) -

@StrifeDelivery said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Chrome- said:

Exactly, it's such a strange argument to use in defense of the Wii U.

Right. It's one thing to compare console X which has been out 6 years to console Y which has been out 5 years, I can understand something like that to a degree. However, like you're saying, it's jumping the gun a little to compare a console that has been out a full year vs. some that have barely been out a month.

#27 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

@mrintro: Excuses excuses. The gaming industry is growing in prominence.

#28 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3536 posts) -

Didn't fail, idiot.

#29 Posted by pc-ps360 (3458 posts) -

not true wiiu has lost of games its just people dont know about them. i posted a while back about wiiu games. check my thread

#30 Edited by ImDaMan4Realz (94 posts) -
#31 Posted by Zassimick (6434 posts) -

Nintendo has stated several times that the Wii U lacked that game that showcased what it could do like Wii Sports did for the Wii. The price point is also a big thing; $250 was decent price for families for something unique and interesting as the Wii. Even $300 gets to be a bit much for some, but it is selling.

It's not just those things tho. Up to this point the marketing has been terrible and the confusion of what the console is hurt it as well.

This is all known information though, stuff that has been covered in many other threads.

#32 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (586 posts) -

You can't say it failed. Its only been out for a year. The PS3 and esp. the 3DS was in the same boat at one time.

2014 will paint the picture quite clear.

#33 Posted by MirkoS77 (7322 posts) -

I can point to numerous specific problems as to why it's failing, but two are sufficient: management.

#34 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -
#35 Edited by Speak_Low (1009 posts) -

Nintendo is a rip off company. Wii U was supposed to be an advanced, next-generation console and they still put out graphics that are either updated Wii or GCN visuals (Wii Party U, Wii Fit U crap, Wind Waker), or graphics that look almost exactly like 360 and PS3 games.

They deserve to fail for attempting to cheat the consumers. They thought millions of casuals would follow them, buy their shovelware crap like the Wii, and that they could save lots of money on cheaper hardware since casuals wouldn't know any better.

This is sweet justice to see their current problems bite them in the arrogant ass.

#36 Edited by AtariKidX (6247 posts) -

Because WiiU sucks.

#37 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25144 posts) -

Wait.

Did you just say that WiiU failed because it didn't have a gimmick?

#38 Posted by Obviously_Right (5093 posts) -
#39 Posted by Comduter (2159 posts) -
#40 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

@Comduter: It isn't. It really really isn't.

#41 Posted by Speak_Low (1009 posts) -

Sheep always keep saying Wii U is selling well right now and making a profit.

How many more barnyard lies are these Sheep going to keep spreading?

Of course everything is selling better in Nov/Dec, even diapers and cough medicine. But compared to the sales of other systems, the Wii U is a total failure and at the bottom. Nintendo is putting up losses they haven't seen in years, and now they're making nothing but children commercials because they're desperate to sell this console to any sucker left listening.

#42 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

@speak_low: Indeed. Compared to other consoles and particularly compared to historical sales Wii u sales are in the toilet.

#43 Edited by Zen_Light (1235 posts) -

It's winning because it has the best games right now.