Why was Playstation Allstars such a commercial failure?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by lostrib (34236 posts) -

It was a poor copy of SSB

#52 Posted by Vatusus (4409 posts) -

Smash Bros. isn't great? It's among the best fighting games, if not the best.SonyNintendoFan

lol

any self respected fighting fan will laugh at SSB fight mechanics. Its a fun game to play here and there but as a proper fight game? ew

Dont even put it on the same pedestal as Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, MvC, etc etc...

#53 Posted by Blabadon (25894 posts) -

[QUOTE="SonyNintendoFan"]Smash Bros. isn't great? It's among the best fighting games, if not the best.Vatusus

lol

any self respected fighting fan will laugh at SSB fight mechanics. Its a fun game to play here and there but as a proper fight game? ew

Dont even put it on the same pedestal as Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, MvC, etc etc...

Just because it isn't heavily combo based doesn't mean it has laughable mechanics, even among ardent fighting fans. But we both know where this conversation will end up
#54 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8708 posts) -
It's no Smash Bros. but I've had a lot of fun with the game. It's a shame it didn't do better commercially and I hope Sony doesn't give up on the series.
#55 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
Smash Bros is a great game. All Stars is not a great game.
#56 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
Sony's marketing division lacks sufficient funds to effectively market more than a handful of games.
#57 Posted by SonyNintendoFan (527 posts) -
Sony's marketing division lacks sufficient funds to effectively market more than a handful of games.MFDOOM1983
A hardcore gamer doesn't need to see a commercial to know that an amazing game exists. Marketing is for casuals who need to find out about things through commercial breaks, and internet video ads.
#58 Posted by ImBatman- (1014 posts) -

It needed Kaz as a playable character.

#59 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28357 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultraking"][QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"] :lol: legalizing hemp also. Posting on your xbox360  SuperNovaftw
whats wrong with legalizing hemp?

Whats wrong with DBZ? Just using his logic.

no I don't think you understand, DBZ does suck it is one of the worst anime's ever created it single handedly ruined the entire anime culture so many anime follow its lead of 400 episodes with only 20 meaningful fights with a punch taking 5-6 episodes, DBZ is literally S***.

Legalizing industrial hemp would actually benefit the united states giving us a lost agriculture and replacing failing and disapearing agricultures in some states, as well as pumping needed taxes into the system.... Making DBZ and DBZ type anime illegal would benefit all anime culture since dbz, naruto, bleach and other such animes are pure s***.

P.S: so hardcore? I never claimed any such, my laptop was being used so I decided to use the 360, I also post on system wars using my ps3.

#60 Posted by TheEroica (13299 posts) -
[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]

Why is your troll thread such a commercial failure?

SuperNovaftw
How is this a troll thread?

Not enough detail, expecting an obvious answer eg. Nintendo has more popular charachters, its a bait for lems to come and say the game sucks.

game sucks :P
#61 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -

"shrugs", I honestly wanted Sony to do their own style of fighting games, them copying smash's style seemed pretty desperate 

#62 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Have you played it? If you do you will know. That or Cows spent so much time talking about it they forgot to pick the thing up.

#63 Posted by TheEroica (13299 posts) -

"shrugs", I honestly wanted Sony to do their own style of fighting games, them copying smash's style seemed pretty desperate 

Chris_Williams
ya think? it was pretty blatent... the mystery to me is why copy the game when u know your characters arent as compelling? shouldnt they have at least attempted a different type of brawler that would actually take the emphasis off of the weaker characters and instead place it on a different gameplay style?
#64 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

TheEroica
ya think? it was pretty blatent... the mystery to me is why copy the game when u know your characters arent as compelling? shouldnt they have at least attempted a different type of brawler that would actually take the emphasis off of the weaker characters and instead place it on a different gameplay style?

WHOOAAA, Parappa the Rapper sh*ts on the nintendo roster all day long.
#65 Posted by the9thinning (926 posts) -
It wasn't very fun.
#66 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

I think the world wasn't ready yet for the type of zaney-ness in All Stars. But people will look back and appreciate it as a fighter (like Power Stone).

#67 Posted by princeofshapeir (13715 posts) -
Because the game was a failure.
#68 Posted by TheEroica (13299 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams

:shock: oh no you dit'nt...
#69 Posted by Boddicker (2488 posts) -

Why did it fail? Simple.

Nobody was asking for a SSB clone on the ps3.

If somebody wanted to play that childish crap they would have bought a Ninty console.

#70 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

I think the world wasn't ready yet for the type of zaney-ness in All Stars. But people will look back and appreciate it as a fighter (like Power Stone).

wakefulness
Game can't hold a candle to Powerstone.
#71 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -
Because it was crappy ripoff that didnt do anything better than Smash Bros and didnt have nearly as good of a lineup of characters
#72 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] ya think? it was pretty blatent... the mystery to me is why copy the game when u know your characters arent as compelling? shouldnt they have at least attempted a different type of brawler that would actually take the emphasis off of the weaker characters and instead place it on a different gameplay style?

:shock: oh no you dit'nt...

Gotta Believe
#73 Posted by sonic1564 (3265 posts) -

It lacks the characters that made the Playstation brand famous, but it all went third party. They could've at least gotten Solid Snake, but they got Raiden instead which was to hype for an upcoming game just like using the rebooted Dante.

#74 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -
[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

timbers_WSU
Game can't hold a candle to Powerstone.

I think it do. I think it do. (Hold a candle that is) It's fun. When I played Power Stone, I really enjoyed it but I find the combat and strategy to win way more in depth on All Stars. But it's apple and oranges, at the end of the day.
#75 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -
zero marketing. the game is still fun but when your marketing sucks sales aren't gonna happen. Did they really expect that Micheal pt 2 commercial to drive sales? The European on was way better. Game is still fun though.....addictively so where its keeping me from every other game in my backlog.
#76 Posted by Ghost120x (3737 posts) -
Bad kill system Lack of meaningful content No classic playstation characters that made Sony what it is today Full of new third party characters with the sole purpose of promoting their recent games Presentation didn't seem authentic and looked like no effort was put into the character/stage design Art style didn't go with some of the characters People don't like rip-offs Live action commercial did nothing to sell the game Story mode was lame and so was the final boss I could go on, but I won't.
#77 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26314 posts) -

Bad kill system Lack of meaningful content No classic playstation characters that made Sony what it is today Full of new third party characters with the sole purpose of promoting their recent games Presentation didn't seem authentic and looked like no effort was put into the character/stage design Art style didn't go with some of the characters People don't like rip-offs Live action commercial did nothing to sell the game Story mode was lame and so was the final boss I could go on, but I won't.Ghost120x

games been ripping off another for years and sell well where have uv been. I enjoy the kill system more then smashes. At least the final boss was a callback to sony I dont remember the giant hand in other nintendo games. I will agree with presentation as in menus they all looked pretty bland. Also lack of marketing hurt the game.

#78 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Superbot was bad and Sony can't advertise their games.

#79 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

I was going to buy it but the game was completely broken all you have to do is land a few blows and you're rewarded with free kills, screw that. Smash takes skill and you have to fight hard to get a W.

#80 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3220 posts) -

for me it was gameplay, mechanics, and controls. they were not very fluid, and comfortable at all. when i played it, it didnt feel very fun at all. the system they implemented wasnt the best as well. 

i thought it had a lot of potential but in the end it didnt live up to it. 

#81 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

I was going to buy it but the game was completely broken all you have to do is land a few blows and you're rewarded with free kills, screw that. Smash takes skill and you have to fight hard to get a W.

TheEpicGoat
That is hardly how it goes at all. Like Smash you have to fight hard and play smart to win.
#82 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

game_masta14
That is hardly how it goes at all. Like Smash you have to fight hard and play smart to win.

I can't disagree with you more...literally have no idea what you are talking about. Smash is kids play compared to Allstars in terms of the depth of combat. PS Allstars is a blast to play and is very addicting. I myself thought it was a stupid ripoff until I played it. I can't believe this didn't sell more, it is an incredible gem. But to answer the point of the thread...honeslty PS marketing is horrible. I am glad Sony got a new company to do it for them.
#83 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

game_masta14

Not with the characters we were using. When Heihachi gets his OP level 2 you might as well put the controller down till Kuma leaves or Kratos and his level 3.

#84 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3773 posts) -

cows don't buy their own games.

It's funny.

#85 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

[QUOTE="game_masta14"][QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

TheEpicGoat

Not with the characters we were using. When Heihachi gets his OP level 2 you might as well put the controller down till Kuma leaves or Kratos and his level 3.

Yeah, if you're in Dojo. If you in a stage like Dreamscape, his level 2 is weak. Heck it's not even OP at all. I will take your Kratos argument since his is still currently OP but there's always gonna be those characters in fighting games that needs the nerf bat. Getting supers is one thing, landing them is a whole different ball game which will be made even more different after the next patch and DLC characters.

#86 Posted by jake44 (1960 posts) -

I didn't buy it because of the poor choice of characters.

#87 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheEpicGoat"]

[QUOTE="game_masta14"]That is hardly how it goes at all. Like Smash you have to fight hard and play smart to win.game_masta14

Yeah, if you're in Dojo. If you in a stage like Dreamscape, his level 2 is weak. Heck it's not even OP at all. I will take your Kratos argument since his is still currently OP but there's always gonna be those characters in fighting games that needs the nerf bat. Getting supers is one thing, landing them is a whole different ball game which will be made even more different after the next patch and DLC characters.

Dojo and some custom map that was flat were the only stages I played on*. Still, I didn't like the way kills were handled. (I feel like supers shouldn't be the only way to land kills.)

#88 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -
After playing the game since launch, I can say the super system is actually handled pretty well especially during stock and kill limit matches. Though there are balancing issues with some of the characters supers where some work in some areas and others not so much while a few characters have some useless supers. Also, if you played on small flat stages then you WILL have a hard time avoiding Kuma since he's perfect for those environments. Also you can't go into the game expecting Smash, it isn't Smash. You don't how many people's opinions changed positively about this game when they got rid of that mindset.
#89 Posted by DivineSword (15744 posts) -

Way too many third party characters for my taste.

#90 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

DivineSword
There's only like 5 out of the soon to be 24 character roster with one of the third party characters actually belonging in the roster.
#91 Posted by PatchMaster (6013 posts) -

Because the 360 doesn't have any games.kuraimen

Do the world a favor and reevaluate your life.

#92 Posted by handssss (1820 posts) -
because a lot of people look at the concept and call it a ripoff and write it off for that reason alone. Disregarding it playing a lot differently than smash bros. A lot of people wanted Spyro, Crash, and Cloud to be in it when the reality is that those things weren't possible. Cloud was never owned by Sony and the other 2 are Activision's property now. If the devs (and now Sony Santa Monica) could get a hold of them, you'd think they would have made a deal by now. Also, I don't recall much or any adverting for this game. Hell, the only reason why I bought it was because I was bored and a friend bought it and I said I'd get it to go play it with him.
#93 Posted by DivineSword (15744 posts) -

[QUOTE="DivineSword"]

game_masta14

There's only like 5 out of the soon to be 24 character roster with one of the third party characters actually belonging in the roster.

Notice I say for my taste?

#94 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

[QUOTE="game_masta14"][QUOTE="DivineSword"]

DivineSword

Notice I say for my taste?

Just sayin. I keep seeing people voice this complaint yet want Crash, Spyro, and Cloud who are technically third party characters. It's just whether or not they're affordable or if the IP holder for the character will allow it.
#95 Posted by DivineSword (15744 posts) -

Just sayin. I keep seeing people voice this complaint yet want Crash, Spyro, and Cloud who are technically third party characters. It's just whether or not they're affordable or if the IP holder for the character will allow it.game_masta14
I would rather they focus on the game itself and not worry about what type of characters to add. Played the demo and the game just felt awkward for me.

#96 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

[QUOTE="game_masta14"]Just sayin. I keep seeing people voice this complaint yet want Crash, Spyro, and Cloud who are technically third party characters. It's just whether or not they're affordable or if the IP holder for the character will allow it.DivineSword

I would rather they focus on the game itself and not worry about what type of characters to add. Played the demo and the game just felt awkward for me.

The game has changed much from the demo version with the character balancing patches and they're releasing another patch when the DLC comes out Tuesday.
#97 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

What it does well is that it the characters actually feel like they were ripped out of their respective games and tossed into an arena, but...

• It's just missing a fun factor.
  • Many of the characters like Emmett and Kat have only been around for a few years while Mario and others have been around for a few decades.
  • Development was clearly lazy. The single player modes are laughably bad.
  • Sony marketing in general is god awful. 

I still play it now and then, but I can't play it for hours on end like Brawl. It just feels like it doesn't take knowing the character's skills to gain an advantage compared to just hitting random buttons. I regularly beat people that are lvled 999 on a character compared to me that hardly plays it. I could never do that with SSBB.

#98 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

If Nintendo can make a brawler with their first and some third party characters, and be successful, why didn't SONY have the same success? They have a huge selection of unique first party characters, and the third party characters that they managed to acquire are really cool. Dante, Raiden, Issac, really cool ones.

What did SuperBot do so wrong that SONY cut ties with them?

SonyNintendoFan

Because Sony failed to reconize it was already done before. Plus Mario and Nintendo characters are bigger names. Not only that it lacked what smash brothers had. Smash brothers is new that was a knock off!

#99 Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog (792 posts) -

like with all games, it has to do with advertising budgets and the potential market size

do people forget that Homefront sold incredibly well, despite low review scores? It was due to the advertising and the popularity of shooters. 

This game didn't have the advertising push, nor do I think the market for this kind of game is that big. 

People keep stating all these flaws. Even if they weren't there I don't think the game would have sold much better, given that it reviewed quite well. 

#100 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

like with all games, it has to do with advertising budgets and the potential market size

do people forget that Homefront sold incredibly well, despite low review scores? It was due to the advertising and the popularity of shooters. 

This game didn't have the advertising push, nor do I think the market for this kind of game is that big. 

People keep stating all these flaws. Even if they weren't there I don't think the game would have sold much better, given that it reviewed quite well. 

FeedOnATreeFrog

TBH, there wasn't a lot of marketing push behinf all-stars at all.

The only thing there was, when community managers would take beta/early builds of their games to EVO or similar fighting game events. That is kind of a niche. But it's a big niche. And even when SuperBot bought their game to fighting events, there would be one dude who would come up with arms crossed and say something sucks and they clearly thought the game was a smash bros rip off. And SuperBot (being a newb to the gaming industry) did it's best to get its messaging and advertising right, but I feel SCE marketting and PR just didn't brand All-Stars worthy of a big investment.

Kinda sad how it all went, actually. Now, though, I have nothing but confidence that w/e SuperBot does will rock and will sell well enough to keep them going. And I think Sony have already learned a lesson in how to advertise their content (hence, their firing of an old marketting firm). But. we shall see.