Why was Lords of Shadow "wrong"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

It wasn't,you were just being stuck-up fanboys.

It was pretty great,actually.

I don't see what many of you found wrong with it.

#2 Posted by soulitane (13668 posts) -
Pretty compelling argument.
#3 Posted by straightedge_X (737 posts) -
It wasn't. It may have been a drastic change for some, but I still found it to be massively enjoyable. I'm definitely looking forward to playing both Lords of Shadow 2 and Mirror of Fate.
#4 Posted by jg4xchamp (49322 posts) -

On a purely gameplay/game design level it's not satisfying. The combat is like God of War territory, very shallow and easy compared to much better games in the genre. The puzzles are not satisfying on an intellectual level in terms of challenge and nor are they elaborate enough to be interesting(Zelda, easy puzzles, but clever). The platforming is simplistic, and lacks the environment to make it interesting the way platforming was enjoyable element in 2D castlevania games. And I'm a firm believer that if you have a skip function for your puzzles they aren't that good. . A lot of the boss fights are just fairly dull rhythmic stuff, and another one is like a poor man's Shadow of the Colossus fight that just seems dull.

But the biggest kicker is that it isn't a Castlevania game in 3D. It's a hack n slash. It's a god of war. It's a action/adventure game like Zelda, but more linear/combat focused. It's got none of the freedom of Castlevania, the labyrinth like nature that is wonderful to explore and of course the sequence breaking that comes with it, and nor does it satisfying that ever evolving being that you become in other Castlevania games. If they didn't put Castlevania on the box it would have been an unimpressive game. The fact that they did, makes it incredibly disappointing.

If the fanbase is "stuck up" it's because they made a Castlevania experience that failed to actually capture what makes Castlevania...well Castlevania. It's like if they made Megaman into a FPS like Call of DUty.

#5 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

On a purely gameplay/game design level it's not satisfying. The combat is like God of War territory, very shallow and easy compared to much better games in the genre. The puzzles are not satisfying on an intellectual level in terms of challenge and nor are they elaborate enough to be interesting(Zelda, easy puzzles, but clever). The platforming is simplistic, and lacks the environment to make it interesting the way platforming was enjoyable element in 2D castlevania games. And I'm a firm believer that if you have a skip function for your puzzles they aren't that good. . A lot of the boss fights are just fairly dull rhythmic stuff, and another one is like a poor man's Shadow of the Colossus fight that just seems dull.

But the biggest kicker is that it isn't a Castlevania game in 3D. It's a hack n slash. It's a god of war. It's a action/adventure game like Zelda, but more linear/combat focused. It's got none of the freedom of Castlevania, the labyrinth like nature that is wonderful to explore and of course the sequence breaking that comes with it, and nor does it satisfying that ever evolving being that you become in other Castlevania games. If they didn't put Castlevania on the box it would have been an unimpressive game. The fact that they did, makes it incredibly disappointing.

If the fanbase is "stuck up" it's because they made a Castlevania experience that failed to actually capture what makes Castlevania...well Castlevania. It's like if they made Megaman into a FPS like Call of DUty.

jg4xchamp

You do realise it was SUPPOSED to be different?

#6 Posted by ArisShadows (22664 posts) -
I was trying to figure wtf Lord of Shadow games, then I remember it was the meh Castlevania game.
#7 Posted by freedomfreak (41963 posts) -
They GOW'd it. People didn't like it. I did.
#8 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

jg4xchamp

This and the presentation (art / sound) reminded of fantasy stuff like LottR, Castlevania has always been goth-ish.

#9 Posted by jg4xchamp (49322 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

GreekGameManiac

That's fine, and if you're going to be different, be good at it. And as an action game it's not satisfying, and its adventure elements would be satisfying if you're like 6.

#10 Posted by silversix_ (15323 posts) -
it was good but linear and zero exploration.
#11 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25996 posts) -

Man I loved Lords of Shadow. Only thing "Wrong" about it was that it had NO CASTLEVANIA in it at all.

It's like the DMC of Castlevania! (though towards the end you pretty much find out why there isn't.)

it was good but linear and zero exploration.silversix_

Just like the old school Castlevania.

#12 Posted by CTR360 (7263 posts) -
i love castlevania LOS i cant wait for LOS2
#13 Posted by lulmont (670 posts) -

Can't wait for 2 and the 3DS game. Was nothing wrong with the 1st game to me coming from someone who's played most CV games but I'm also a classicvania fan more than metroidvanias

#14 Posted by KungfuKitten (21290 posts) -

I think there were horrible platforming sections and beastriding sections? I can't remember really.
It also had some sexy enemies so my review would have been positive.

#15 Posted by Ballroompirate (23478 posts) -

I enjoyed it so w/e. Wasn't as good as SotN but it's easily my 2nd fav Castlevania game.

#16 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Shut it with the assumptions TC.

Lords of Shadow problem wasn't that it was a bad Castlevania game (though it is), the problem is that it's a bad game in general. It had some pretty awful pacing, unneeded puzzles that just served as filler, boring rip off Shadow of the collosus boss battle, unneeded QTEs, bad platforming sections, Gabriel was pretty floaty, just an average combat system, and 30 frames iirc. Oh and f*ck the guy who kept stealing your things. He served no purprose whatsoever except to make the game longer.

[spoiler] Obviously this is just my opinion for the guys who needs it to be stated after someone talks about a game they like :x [/spoiler]

At least the protagonist is good looking. He's still pretty boring though.

#17 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

jg4xchamp

That's fine, and if you're going to be different, be good at it. And as an action game it's not satisfying, and its adventure elements would be satisfying if you're like 6.

Champ is laying down the truth again.

#18 Posted by Minishdriveby (10229 posts) -
Lord of Shadow was great. I had a lot of fun with the reboot, and the atmosphere was phenomenal for each level. I thought the game did well in a 3D space as a hack and slash adventure game. The 3DS version looks really bland though, and will not benefit from the hack and slash, God of War, aspect that allured people in the console game. I liked the 2D sidescrolling/metroidvania versions with the RPG elements, large map areas, a large amount of equipment, and a ton of enemy variety. The 3DS version seems to have a map, but it looks much more linear than past metroidvania games, and I haven't seen any of the other things I like about the metroidvania style game. I'm looking forward to playing Lords of Shadow 2 though.
#19 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
I honestly loved the game. The story was horrible and it didn't feel like a castlevania (but then again, to me the castlevania franchise died with symphony of the night) but other then that I loved the game
#20 Posted by megadeth1117 (1830 posts) -

I felt so bad for Patrick Stewart while playing it. It's like you can hear him trying not to kill himself in the recording-booth. What an awful script.

#21 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
T'was okay, nothing special. LOL at OP though.
#22 Posted by Shirokishi_ (11204 posts) -

It wasnt "wrong" it just wasnt a good CASTLEVANIA game. Pretty good game overall.

#23 Posted by sandbox3d (5124 posts) -

It was an average game and a poor CV game. Sh*t, it was never even meant to be a CV game, they pulled that BS out at the last second. They knew they had an average level hack n slash that was nothing special and decided to call it CV to get some sales. And it worked.

If you enjoyed it then good for you. Dont get mad a CV fans for wanting a CV game.

At least with a game like RE4, it may have pissed the fanbase off, but it was an EXCELLENT game. It was fresh and the design was brilliant all around. LoS is just another "me too" game and nothing more.

#24 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

^Lol what?

I'm a fan...i've been a fan since SotN...

You don't see me complaining.

#25 Posted by dommeus (9416 posts) -

I found it boring, and the quick tim events were f*cking infuriating.

#26 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
It was a God of War clone that stepped too far away from the established tropes of the series. It was a decent game in it's own right, but it wasn't even a remotely mediocre "Castlevania".
#27 Posted by Ghost120x (4061 posts) -
Good game but not up there with the 2d ones. I would like for the next game to take place in a castle most of the time, to be less linear, and I would like to see more of the classic monsters in the game.
#28 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.
#29 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.AcidSoldner

Lol,this is the "HoD & AoS are meh,CotM rocks" thing all over again.

So many prefered CotM just because it reminded them of SotN.

F*cking stuck in the past fanboys...

>_>

#30 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.GreekGameManiac

>_>

Lawl.... Circle of the Moon is my all time favorite Castlevania game. HoTM and AoS aren't even in my top five :lol:
#31 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.AcidSoldner

>_>

Lawl.... Circle of the Moon is my all time favorite Castlevania game. HoTM and AoS aren't even in my top five :lol:

#@$#%!

#32 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

You have to realize sir that most of these guys on here are fans of metroidvania, not the entire franchise. I can concede the point about the art, particularly enemies designs but really nothing else.

#33 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.AcidSoldner

You noticed this as well? Thought it was only me.

#34 Posted by Animal-Mother (27008 posts) -

Loved lords of shadow. Thought it was pretty good.

I was never into castlevania to begin with (have played SOTN) but liked the new take kojimas studio had on it.

#35 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I was never into castlevania to begin with (have played SOTN) but liked the new take kojimas studio had on it.

Animal-Mother

>_> i hate it when ppl are so ignorant/misinformed...

Kojima's "studio" DIDN'T make the game.

MercurySteam made it.

Kojima was only a consultant of sorts,NOTHING more.

#36 Posted by Animal-Mother (27008 posts) -

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

GreekGameManiac

MercurySteam made it.

Misinformed, I know mecury steam made it. But didn't they work under kojima games?
#37 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.GD1551

Yeah, there seems to be a (stupid) consensus with "newer" Castlevania fans, especially around here, that metroidvania is the only way to make a Castlevania game. Castlevania was a pretty linear affair before SoTN.
#38 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

Animal-Mother

MercurySteam made it.

Misinformed, I know mecury steam made it. But didn't they work under kojima games?

Yes,but they didn't make the game.

#39 Posted by Animal-Mother (27008 posts) -

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

MercurySteam made it.

GreekGameManiac

I know.
#40 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

MercurySteam made it.

GreekGameManiac

They assisted Mercury Steam with development of the game so yes, they technically worked on it.
#41 Posted by MBirdy88 (8590 posts) -
I enjoyed it, and this is coming from someone who hates devil may cry and god of war. Lords of Shadow has so much more charm, though admittedly repetitive often. Love the new lore, beats the crap out of the old ones in that department.
#42 Posted by TheGuardian03 (22160 posts) -
i enjoyed it, it was better than god of war 3.
#43 Posted by freedomfreak (41963 posts) -
i enjoyed it, it was better than god of war 3.TheGuardian03
Nice! I thought so too.
#44 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Atleast you aren't as annoying as that part of the DMC fanbase being crybabies for the new DMC.

(and it's a big portion of the fanbase)

#46 Posted by Animal-Mother (27008 posts) -

Atleast you aren't as annoying as that part of the DMC fanbase being crybabies for the new DMC.

GreekGameManiac
I'm a huge DMC fan and can't wait to see how the new game turns out.
#47 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I though it was a great game and a good Castlevania game as well. Those that seemed to dislike LoS are those fans who started with Symphony of the Night while those who enjoyed it are fans of the earlier Castlevanias. Just something I noticed within the Castlevania community.AcidSoldner

Yeah, there seems to be a (stupid) consensus with "newer" Castlevania fans, especially around here, that metroidvania is the only way to make a Castlevania game. Castlevania was a pretty linear affair before SoTN.

I know right? MercurySteam even said it would be like the old CVs and not like metroidvania, and the whining keeps continuing about it "not being a CV game"

#48 Posted by TheGuardian03 (22160 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]i enjoyed it, it was better than god of war 3.freedomfreak
Nice! I thought so too.

gamespot main complaints about the game was it taking ideas from other games like god of war and shadow of the colossus, i don't see the problem its not forbidden for games to copy other games ideas.
#49 Posted by freedomfreak (41963 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]i enjoyed it, it was better than god of war 3.TheGuardian03
Nice! I thought so too.

gamespot main complaints about the game was it taking ideas from other games like god of war and shadow of the colossus, i don't see the problem its not forbidden for games to copy other games ideas.

I can agree with that.
#50 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Nice! I thought so too.freedomfreak

I can agree with that.

All games do that.

There's no such a thing as an "original game".