Why TP is a better launch title than Halo was:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bisset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bisset
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts
TP is a game that is great because of it's gameplay and challenge, no, it doesn't beat GoW in graphics but get 10 minutes into the game and you'll forget about the graphics. Halo however, was simply a graphical powerhouse, and so is GoW, yeah they're great but TP will stand way longer over time. I want an unbiased person to play Halo 1 and then play OoT and you'll see, halo hasn't aged as well as Zelda has.
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts
I have played the game. It is basically OoT with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing new really gameplay wise and it is a story that has been told 1000 times over.
redban2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 redban2
Member since 2006 • 496 Posts
I have played the game. It is basically OoT with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing new really gameplay wise and it is a story that has been told 1000 times over.eastside49er

You haven't even played the game, have you?
THE_KR1PT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 THE_KR1PT
Member since 2006 • 194 Posts
Halo did so much for gaming, not just FPS. While TP is a very great title and the Wii would have deffiantly been swimming in a river of fecies without floaties if it hadn't come out when it did, CE is a better game by all aspects.
THE_KR1PT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 THE_KR1PT
[QUOTE="eastside49er"]I have played the game. It is basically OoT with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing new really gameplay wise and it is a story that has been told 1000 times over.redban2

You play OoT and the only thing your missing out on in TP is the story.
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eastside49er

[QUOTE="eastside49er"]I have played the game. It is basically OoT with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing new really gameplay wise and it is a story that has been told 1000 times over.redban2

Yes I have. Sorry I don't count the wiimote as a new gameplay experience unless it is for a game that really shows it off (Wiisports, Warioware Smooth Moves, etc.).

spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spikegriffin
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

I hate to start something that will go on forever, but how exacly did Halo change gaming?

By being a decent xbox title?

Or launching live...haha thats right, no online MP.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
GoW didn't look better... TP did unless you mean GeOW?
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
TP sucks and should never be mention in the same breath or sentence as......  Well like I said it should not be put in the same sentence as OoT.
Bisset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bisset
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts

Halo did so much for gaming, not just FPS. While TP is a very great title and the Wii would have deffiantly been swimming in a river of fecies without floaties if it hadn't come out when it did, CE is a better game by all aspects.THE_KR1PT

How did Halo do so much for gaming? I don't know about you but i remember playing FPS before Halo and to tell you the truth, i don't see a huge difference in FPS's. The only difference is that in one you shoot humans, the next you shoot aliens

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
9.7>8.8. :roll:Someone was going to do it eventually.I havent played TP yet,so I wouldnt know.Now adays though,I would rather play a adventure game rather than a shooter,but back when Halo was released,a shooters.Now its just way to many shooters on the market.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts

I hate to start something that will go on forever, but how exacly did Halo change gaming?

spikegriffin
It changed the way fps should be played on a console.
THE_KR1PT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 THE_KR1PT

spikegriffin
It brought new features to the genre that hadn't been there before, and...well just read the Review and/or watch the Video Review. To make it easy, Halo: CE is "Not only is this easily the best of the Xbox launch games, but it's easily one of the best shooters ever, on any platform."
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eastside49er

Halo changed the way FPS were looked at for consoles. I'm not even a big Halo fan, but it truly brought MP to the forfront for action/FPS type games on consoles.

TP really didn't bring anything new to the forfront. It is the same story that has been told a thousand times and it pretty much has the same type Zelda gameplay of old games, with a much better look as far as the graphics go. People can scream Wiimote all they like, but to me the Wiimote didn't really add anything to the experience.

spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spikegriffin

Sorry actually.  Must be feeling extra petulent tonight...this morning, whatever.

Halo is more than a decent game, its pretty good.  I played the first on PC and countless hours in the second.

But I don't know about changing how shooters are played on consoles.  That would probally go to goldeneye.  As people have pointed out, that was the first and proved shooters could work on consoles.  What Halo did was take elements from what came before it and perfected them in a console game.  Thats notworthy, but I don't think to the level you guys seem to be holding it.

Huxley_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Huxley_00
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts
I think these pathetic sheep are ignoring one fact.. Zelda is a GC game.. anyways.. 9.6>8.8
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eastside49er

Sorry actually.  Must be feeling extra petulent tonight...this morning, whatever.

Halo is more than a decent game, its pretty good.  I played the first on PC and countless hours in the second.

But I don't know about changing how shooters are played on consoles.  That would probally go to goldeneye.  As people have pointed out, that was the first and proved shooters could work on consoles.  What Halo did was take elements from what came before it and perfected them in a console game.  Thats notworthy, but I don't think to the level you guys seem to be holding it.

spikegriffin

GE started it. Halo finished it. Before Halo, most FPS/action games didn't have MP. They had  a SP and that was about it and if they did have MP, it was horrible. Halo's MP was better than GE's MP by leaps and bounds IMO.

THE_KR1PT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 THE_KR1PT

spikegriffin
Combat Evolved is, this is said by GS many times, one of the greatest FPSs ever made ranking up with the best on the PC. That is one of the biggest compliments a game can get. Even if its not super obvious CE revolutionized the way that FPSs are played and made. If you were to list the 5 best FPSs ever made, CE would be in that list.
Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts

Yea its Like OOT with a fresh code of Paint

When Halo came out it was something different

KingOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 KingOfTaco
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts
As far as I know, Halo brought the idea of rechargable shields (which I like), only carrying two weapons at a time, the grenade button, and (I think) being able to melee with all weapons.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
[QUOTE="spikegriffin"]

eastside49er

GE started it. Halo finished it. Before Halo, most FPS/action games didn't have MP. They had  a SP and that was about it and if they did have MP, it was horrible. Halo's MP was better than GE's MP by leaps and bounds IMO.

What exactly did Halo add to console FPS multiplayer. Yes, it gained more attention than any console FPS before it, with the possible exception of Goldeneye, but the multiplayer doesn't really seem like an advancement over Goldeneye. Mode wise I consider it about equal to Perfect Dark. It added LAN play, but got rid of bots which others (notably Perfect Dark) had before it. It didn't even have online multiplayer at launch. Multiplayer is the best part of Halo (the campaign is a repetitive slog of monotony), but is it really that much of a step up? IMO, not really.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Zelda TP was a better launch game because you didn't have to buy a new system to play it. :P
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I played both (didn't finish TP yet) and I would say both are excellent launch titles. But, if I could only play one, it'd be Halo because of multiplayer. It may not be LIVE, but you're bound to have guests sometime.

Anyways, both are great games, my favorite game at launch (window) is Mario 64 though.

spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spikegriffin
[QUOTE="spikegriffin"]

THE_KR1PT

Combat Evolved is, this is said by GS many times, one of the greatest FPSs ever made ranking up with the best on the PC. That is one of the biggest compliments a game can get. Even if its not super obvious CE revolutionized the way that FPSs are played and made. If you were to list the 5 best FPSs ever made, CE would be in that list.

Thats one thing that also sticks with me a bit though.  Its praised as being on par with PC games (and for its time and place it was close), but when it was released on PC is was improved all around.  Better graphics, online MP, more maps, new weapons, improved vechicals, ect.  But it scored lower.  Still very well I might add (think it was a 9.0), but a decent leap down nonetheless.  I think this is due to the fact that while PC Halo was better than its xbox counterpart, it had the 'been done' attitude in the PC market.

That said, I'll agree that it brough more console gamers into the fold of FPS than any game before it.  GE just proved it could work (but we had some pretty good MP parties back in the day).  But to me, proving something would work is more revolutionary then perfecting something.

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eastside49er
[QUOTE="eastside49er"][QUOTE="spikegriffin"]

Hoffgod

What exactly did Halo add to console FPS multiplayer. Yes, it gained more attention than any console FPS before it, with the possible exception of Goldeneye, but the multiplayer doesn't really seem like an advancement over Goldeneye. Mode wise I consider it about equal to Perfect Dark. It added LAN play, but got rid of bots which others (notably Perfect Dark) had before it. It didn't even have online multiplayer at launch. Multiplayer is the best part of Halo (the campaign is a repetitive slog of monotony), but is it really that much of a step up? IMO, not really.

Actually you could play Halo on-line through that free service which I believe is still available. Can't remember what it was called?

Halo added many things. First of all the graphics were some of the best for its time. The AI was something I have never seen before on a console FPS (playing through Legendary was a treat). The MP was better than any before it.  It was just a great game IMO for its time. It mostly brought MP to the forfront for those type of games, especially on the console side.

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 eastside49er

Zelda TP was a better launch game because you didn't have to buy a new system to play it. :PTimstuff

TSHBO

THE_KR1PT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 THE_KR1PT
Thats one thing that also sticks with me a bit though.  Its praised as being on par with PC games (and for its time and place it was close), but when it was released on PC is was improved all around.  Better graphics, online MP, more maps, new weapons, improved vechicals, ect.  But it scored lower.  Still very well I might add (think it was a 9.0), but a decent leap down nonetheless.  I think this is due to the fact that while PC Halo was better than its xbox counterpart, it had the 'been done' attitude in the PC market.

That said, I'll agree that it brough more console gamers into the fold of FPS than any game before it.  GE just proved it could work (but we had some pretty good MP parties back in the day).  But to me, proving something would work is more revolutionary then perfecting something.spikegriffin

OK, first things first. CE was infenitly better on the Xbox then its PC counterpart. I've played both and I can say that without even the slightest hesitation. The PC version didn't look as good as the Xbox version for one, it didn't handle as well for another. Yes there was one new weapon and a handfull of new maps, but CE wasn't made by its multiplayer and thusly thats one reason why the PC version isn't anywere as good as the Xbox version.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hoffgod

Actually you could play Halo on-line through that free service which I believe is still available. Can't remember what it was called?

Halo added many things. First of all the graphics were some of the best for its time. The AI was something I have never seen before on a console FPS (playing through Legendary was a treat). The MP was better than any before it.  It was just a great game IMO for its time. It mostly brought MP to the forfront for those type of games, especially on the console side.

eastside49er
You could play Halo online on the Xbox? I figured since XBL didn't launch until late 2002 you couldn't. However, you're basically supporting what I'm saying. I'm saying the multiplayer isn't so much a revolution as a refinement. It took the current norms and improved them. Halo was a revolutionary game. I hate the game (the campaign is beyond terrible IMO) but I'm more than willing to admit that. I just think the MP gets too much credit when the real revolution took place in 1999 on the N64.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hoffgod

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Zelda TP was a better launch game because you didn't have to buy a new system to play it. :Peastside49er

TSHBO

... Go ahead and explain that one. How exactly is receiving a brilliant game getting owned?
Citizen_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Citizen_Zero
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
[QUOTE="Hoffgod"][QUOTE="eastside49er"][QUOTE="spikegriffin"]

eastside49er

I use to play Halo1 and Halo2 all the time on "Xboxconnect aka XBC & Xlink Kai" before i got XBL.
spikegriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spikegriffin
[QUOTE="spikegriffin"]Thats one thing that also sticks with me a bit though.  Its praised as being on par with PC games (and for its time and place it was close), but when it was released on PC is was improved all around.  Better graphics, online MP, more maps, new weapons, improved vechicals, ect.  But it scored lower.  Still very well I might add (think it was a 9.0), but a decent leap down nonetheless.  I think this is due to the fact that while PC Halo was better than its xbox counterpart, it had the 'been done' attitude in the PC market.

That said, I'll agree that it brough more console gamers into the fold of FPS than any game before it.  GE just proved it could work (but we had some pretty good MP parties back in the day).  But to me, proving something would work is more revolutionary then perfecting something.THE_KR1PT

OK, first things first. CE was infenitly better on the Xbox then its PC counterpart. I've played both and I can say that without even the slightest hesitation. The PC version didn't look as good as the Xbox version for one, it didn't handle as well for another. Yes there was one new weapon and a handfull of new maps, but CE wasn't made by its multiplayer and thusly thats one reason why the PC version isn't anywere as good as the Xbox version.

I really have to disagree with you on that one.  Running Halo on my computer (this one actually) produced much better graphics.  And I don't see how it dosn't handle well.  I've never had dropped frame rates and if your referring to controls, KB+M is FAR better than controller.  I've loved the PC battles far more than console ones and the fact that the Halo demo still has a huge playerbase goes to show something about its staying power.

You could play Halo over XboxConnect, but I don't think that counts.

Keep in mind, im not actually arguing about the topic, or even that Halo is a bad game, just the point that it revolutionized FPS console gaming.

Citizen_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Citizen_Zero
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
[QUOTE="eastside49er"]

Hoffgod
You could play Halo online on the Xbox? I figured since XBL didn't launch until late 2002 you couldn't. However, you're basically supporting what I'm saying. I'm saying the multiplayer isn't so much a revolution as a refinement. It took the current norms and improved them. Halo was a revolutionary game. I hate the game (the campaign is beyond terrible IMO) but I'm more than willing to admit that. I just think the MP gets too much credit when the real revolution took place in 1999 on the N64.

WTF man Halo's Campain & Story with Co_Op  is whare it's at, the MP was just as kick ass but i love the Halo story the most.
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eastside49er
[QUOTE="eastside49er"]

Hoffgod

You could play XBOX games on-line with out XBL through a free service. It was program you downloaded on to your PC and you needed a router to play. It was as simple as that. I'm not sure if that program is still available since I have been using XBL since 2002.

I loved Halo for what it was, but it was nothing really new to me since I had played many PC FPS before it. As far as a console FPS goes, Halo was far and away the best for its time.

eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eastside49er
[QUOTE="eastside49er"]

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Zelda TP was a better launch game because you didn't have to buy a new system to play it. :PHoffgod

TSHBO

... Go ahead and explain that one. How exactly is receiving a brilliant game getting owned?

The fact it isn't exclusive could be the answer, but for the most part I was joking. ;)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What are you talking about? Twilight Princess looks spectacular. Especially around the light spirit springs. Almost 11 hours in and I am only done 2 dungeons... I do not even know how many are left... the game is amazing.

I fail to understand this comparison.
soadnick947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soadnick947
Member since 2004 • 372 Posts
Yeah, I'm like half-way through zelda on gamecube and it is a much better game than Halo CE. This game is huge.
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
I have played the game. It is basically OoT with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing new really gameplay wise and it is a story that has been told 1000 times over.eastside49er
Go play the game and say that again. The story is pretty different, also the gameplay is VERY different.
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
TP is a game that is great because of it's gameplay and challenge, no, it doesn't beat GoW in graphics but get 10 minutes into the game and you'll forget about the graphics. Halo however, was simply a graphical powerhouse, and so is GoW, yeah they're great but TP will stand way longer over time. I want an unbiased person to play Halo 1 and then play OoT and you'll see, halo hasn't aged as well as Zelda has.Bisset
That's a load of crap.
vugundam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 vugundam
Member since 2006 • 903 Posts
[QUOTE="Bisset"]TP is a game that is great because of it's gameplay and challenge, no, it doesn't beat GoW in graphics but get 10 minutes into the game and you'll forget about the graphics. Halo however, was simply a graphical powerhouse, and so is GoW, yeah they're great but TP will stand way longer over time. I want an unbiased person to play Halo 1 and then play OoT and you'll see, halo hasn't aged as well as Zelda has.pins_basic
That's a load of crap.

Indeed. Zelda is a re-envisionment of itself over and over again with the Wii controls tacked on in the Twilight Princess. Halo brought something new to the table. Its fast-paced action, co-op and multiplayer capabilities (with LAN gaming) refined console FPS and defined Xbox. If Twilight Princess for the is as big as many Nintendo fanboys make it to be, why don't we see more games like it? It does not seem to have a winning formula.
Avatar image for deactivated-62d1b87aec423
deactivated-62d1b87aec423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 deactivated-62d1b87aec423
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
TP is a game that is great because of it's gameplay and challenge, no, it doesn't beat GoW in graphics but get 10 minutes into the game and you'll forget about the graphics. Halo however, was simply a graphical powerhouse, and so is GoW, yeah they're great but TP will stand way longer over time. I want an unbiased person to play Halo 1 and then play OoT and you'll see, halo hasn't aged as well as Zelda has.Bisset
Does TP let your friend play with you? Yeah. Apples and oranges. /thread
Gayspotsucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gayspotsucks
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Halo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TP
BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
Though OoT is an excellent game in it's own right, Halo: Combat Evolved will stand out as one of the greatest games of all time. It maybe didn't add anything new to the genre of FPS, but there was just a feeling about it that makes me giddy to play it all over again. On Legendary. With a friend.
Gayspotsucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gayspotsucks
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Though OoT is an excellent game in it's own right, Halo: Combat Evolved will stand out as one of the greatest games of all time. It maybe didn't add anything new to the genre of FPS, but there was just a feeling about it that makes me giddy to play it all over again. On Legendary. With a friend.BK-Sleeper

Ownage!

emotions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 emotions
Member since 2005 • 876 Posts
Tp comes nowhere near the level of halo

still a great game tho
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

If Twilight Princess for the is as big as many Nintendo fanboys make it to be, why don't we see more games like it? It does not seem to have a winning formula.vugundam

Maybe the formula isn't so easy to mimic?