Why next gen games have last gen assets?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

My friends these games have assets that are hardly better than GTA V. I think its time we look beyond just character or car models and see everything behind all the blur , pretty colors, and special effects carefully.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well I guess they have to decide where to dedicate their resources

Been playing TW3, and it is quite jarring when you have detailed characters next to muddy textures

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Whoop tee doo. Another day, another stupid graphics thread.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Most games i have been playing lately look 100% "next gen" to me (Infamous Second Son, Dragon Age Inquisition, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, etc).

I asked for native 1080p, bigger worlds, better textures, less pop in more particles, seamless worlds with few loadings, etc, and it was exactly what i got :)

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

Because they just do

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

What the hell were people honestly expecting out of a $400 console?

Of course you're not going to get equal performance to that of a PC with an i7 CPU and SLI 980's.

The fucking console would cost $1500 at minimum.

If you want visuals and performance that blow your tits off, then splurging extra to build a quality gaming rig is the only way to go.

Consoles are always going to be lower-mid range PC's.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

most games pass the eye test for me. i just need more good ones

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

hell the systems them selves are missing last gen assets

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@frank_castle said:

Of course you're not going to get equal performance to that of a PC with an i7 CPU and SLI 980's.

If you want visuals and performance that blow your tits off, then splurging extra to build a quality gaming rig is the only way to go.

a lot more since by comparing GPUs we can notice that the gap is massive. The X360's GPU has 48 cores, the PS3 only like 24, while the PS4's has 1152 with improved architecture and a shit ton of memory. Yet we can hardly see a difference between most last yen and current gen games beyond some resolution increment.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

DriveClub looks awesome. So does Infamous Second Son. Your shitty screens won't change that. You just sound like a desperate PC clown.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Because Xposbone is the lowest common denominator and everything is scaled down accordingly.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheFadeForever

@bobrossperm:

sups scottsfan

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@TheFadeForever said:

@bobrossperm:

sups scottsfan

Yeah you keep thinking I'm an alt. It's not hard to grasp that others out there think PC gamers are trash.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

last gen stuff

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22726 Posts

@silversix_: fetches "lair" in second son was effing gorgeously crafted.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheFadeForever

@bobrossperm said:
@TheFadeForever said:

@bobrossperm:

sups scottsfan

Yeah you keep thinking I'm an alt. It's not hard to grasp that others out there think PC gamers are trash.

But you are lol

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GodspellWH

@silversix_:

@silversix_ said:

last gen stuff

My friend its time to look a little closer at dem texture full screen and tell me why this hardly looks better than GTA V

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:
@bobrossperm said:
@TheFadeForever said:

@bobrossperm:

sups scottsfan

But you are lol

He just happen to use the exact same screenshot to compare Driveclub and Grid that scott did and practically said the same thing. Perhaps he's been reading SW thread for quite sometime now before he decided to start a account here.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheFadeForever

@DarthRamms said:
@TheFadeForever said:
@bobrossperm said:
@TheFadeForever said:

@bobrossperm:

sups scottsfan

But you are lol

He just happen to use the exact same screenshot to compare Driveclub and Grid that scott did and practically said the same thing. Perhaps he's been reading SW thread for quite sometime now before he decided to start a account here.

Well maybe ask him where he got the screen from. Although I doubt he will answer.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Gue1: If you honestly look at games like Infamous SS, Ryse, KZ :SF, The Order , BB, AC:Unity, TW3 and see little difference I don't know what else to tell you. They look significantly better then last gen consoles.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ABtoxin
Member since 2014 • 438 Posts

TC raises a good point the LOD must be pretty horrendous for these games

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Thanks. I wondered that while playing.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Most games i have been playing lately look 100% "next gen" to me (Infamous Second Son, Dragon Age Inquisition, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, etc).

I asked for native 1080p, bigger worlds, better textures, less pop in more particles, seamless worlds with few loadings, etc, and it was exactly what i got :)

Well said. I had not booted up my Xbox 360 in a while, but when my cousin had was playing some COD I was surprised how bad it looked. I did not realize how much better the PS4 looked until I went backwards and saw what it was like.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@bobrossperm said:

DriveClub looks awesome. So does Infamous Second Son. Your shitty screens won't change that. You just sound like a desperate PC clown.

Oh, you jelly?

On topic, because the consololes have cheap ass tablet CPU and GPUs that barely match upto 570 (and below). No wonder the games on these potatoes hardly look better than PC games from 2010.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

lol

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PAL360
@zeeshanhaider said:
@bobrossperm said:

Oh, you jelly?

On topic, because the consololes have cheap ass tablet CPU and GPUs that barely match upto 570 (and below). No wonder the games on these potatoes hardly look better than PC games from 2010.

Hmm....you sound like the jelly one!

It's funny how the only people disappointed with PS4 and X1 hardware and games seem to be the PC gamers.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zeeshanhaider

@PAL360 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@bobrossperm said:

Oh, you jelly?

Hmm....you sound like the jelly one!

It's funny how the only people disappointed with PS4 and X1 hardware and games seem to be the PC gamers.

Yup, because after hyping by consolites that the next-gen consoles will have quad SLI 680's + a beefy CPU; the most powerful consoles ended up with a cheap ass tablet CPU and a GPU that barely matches a 570 from 2010 (as per Capcom). No wonder, consololites are now using the excuse of teh optimizationzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh and did you miss the part that games on these crap plastic boxes hardly look better than 2010 PC games? So much so hat even Metro 2033 had to be nerfed in order to be ported to 900pStation?

LOL, DF, on record said that these consoles wouldn't even run Crysis 2 from 2011 without compromises.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@lostrib said:

Well I guess they have to decide where to dedicate their resources

Been playing TW3, and it is quite jarring when you have detailed characters next to muddy textures

^This

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#31 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@PAL360: same here. Only full $60 game I played that looked last gen were

Final fantasy type 0 ( ut it's a psp remaster so expected)

And shadow of mordor (don't know how that game got praise .. it had boring repetitive gameplau, horrible small map environments with little variety, and crap story, yet GS gave it game of the year)

All other games have lived up to next gen. The people expecting everything to be cg quality don't realize the cost, time and power required to make such things. It's like the fools who call me up at work requesting a 25+ point integrated form and want it done in 30 minutes, then say "should be simple, it's just code"..lol.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@zeeshanhaider: So in other words you believed teenagers on a message board about fantasyland specs and now feel a hissy fit is justifed? That's swell.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zeeshanhaider

@santoron said:

@zeeshanhaider: So in other words you believed teenagers on a message board about fantasyland specs and now feel a hissy fit is justifed? That's swell.

Are you telling me gpuking, El-Tomato, Chozofication, AM-Gamer, gue and pretty much all the rest of the cows are teenagers? Or what about Bobrosperm or Scott. He knows his precious exclusives are no where near games already released on PC years ago but still he just can't bear thhe fact that their so called next-gen consoles were outdated before their release.

Oh and it's SW. I'll rub this in their faces till eternity. :D

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#34 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17821 Posts

The consoles are shit. Get used to it or buy a PC and join the master race.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Midnightshade29

@zeeshanhaider: what are these great pc exclusive graphics kings you are referring to? Besides the unreleased star citizen, what has pushed graphics on pc to the point that they get their own assets? Nothing I see. I see old school games getting a comeback from kickstarter (thank god... as that's the types of games I love pc for), but no crysis or quake 3,or nolf, or halflife 3, or hell like it used to be before xbox 360 stole pc devs and M$ closed down every pc studio ot had.

Playing on pc will only get you slightly better graphics for console multiplats. They will still be console games with better resolution (if u have the monitor and gpu for that, and for 4k it needs at least $1k+ for monitor and gpu), and maybe a tad sharper textures and aa...again it will cost more than the console for a gpu to play the Witcher 3 in max settings at max reslution.

I own a 7870 gpu, and there is no reason for me to upgrade as there is no pc exclusive that demands it. My ps4 gets the same results most of the time and it usually runs better too. Until we get publisher funded exclusive pc gfx showcase games, there is no need. Call me when half-life 3 comes out... I'm waiting. (And no I don't like mobas ewww )

People who honestly expected a console to have titan class gpu at the time of release we and are delusional. Everyone botched and made fun of ps3's $599 price. Do you honestly think console makers were going to pull that again... Hell no, no one would buy it and pc evangelists would still not saying pc is better. It's a moot point as consoles should be cheap and a set unchanging spec.

I for one have been estate with the look of games this gen.

Infamous ss

Far cry 4

Gta 5 rerelease

Bloodborne

Witcher 3

All great to me on ps4.. and I got my wasteland 2 and pillars of eternity on pc.... am set to game :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Every game has low-resolution assets here and there that you could point out. Doesn't matter the platform. Art takes time and money. When you're rushed to get a game out the door, shit just doesn't get done properly. That's life.

All games also need to be optimized to some degree even on the almighty PC. Wasting polygons on stuff that isn't even the focus is both a waste of the artists time but also a waste of GPU time when it could be going to much more important assets. In a racing game, why would you waste polygons on some house that is 500 feet from the track when it'll be on people's screens for half a second? It's illogical to tie up a 3D artist for 2-3 weeks building the mesh for a beautiful house, texturing it, then lighting it and then when a player passes the house their framerate drops by 2-3 frames for something on screen for a split second. It's a waste throughout.

This is some dumb jab at the PS4 but never in my life have I ever seen a game that had 100% flawless assets throughout. It's impossible. Even Star Citizen will have some real duds scattered throughout and you'll be able to take some very unflattering pictures.

Drop the dumb fanboy act and use your head.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Tell me when Gear of War 4 comes out then we will have something to compare these games to.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PAL360

@zeeshanhaider:

lol you do sound upset!

In fact, before people know the actual specs PS4 and X1, the majority of internet users were expecting new consoles to be 2 or 3 times better than their predecessors. On top of that, people though Move and Kinect would be their main focus.

Instead, Sony and MS gave us two core gaming consoles, and a jump similar to the ones of previous generations.

Are consoles comparable to state of the art PCs? Sure they arent, they never were, but thats the least of console gamers concerns. We compare our new platforms to the old ones...and that's what matters.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Why graphics and how this come where?...

The internet blew up when Sony released the $600 PS3 which they sold at a loss meaning it cost more to make than they sold it to you for.

Sony said f*** you and here's your cheap plastic box with laptop hardware.

Its like console gamers haven't grasped the concept of money, you pay more you get more. Every time PC gaming is on topic here you always get the same group of people posting "BUT DA PSQAUTTRO IS ONLY $350!"... And then they complain that games can't run at 1080 or at a steady framerate.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#40 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Agreed. Maybe play the game instead of zooming in to scrutinize graphics. I hear PLAYING games is fun.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@cainetao11: Playing games is too subjective. Everybody likes different things and finds different levels of quality acceptable.

Graphics are objective. You can easily compare X game with Y game and agree on a better looking game. Comparing the processing power across platforms is also objective. You can't interpret the numbers differently. That's why fanboy arguments revolve around graphics. You can "win" a graphic argument. You can't really tell somebody their opinion is wrong.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@cainetao11: Playing games is too subjective. Everybody likes different things and finds different levels of quality acceptable.

Graphics are objective. You can easily compare X game with Y game and agree on a better looking game. Comparing the processing power across platforms is also objective. You can't interpret the numbers differently. That's why fanboy arguments revolve around graphics. You can "win" a graphic argument. You can't really tell somebody their opinion is wrong.

And yet so many here cant agree on better looking in games. Come on dude, what does anyone "win" in these non sense arguments? I just read last gen graphics are ugly. No. Combat on the Atari 2600 is ugly.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@Wasdie said:

And yet so many here cant agree on better looking in games. Come on dude, what does anyone "win" in these non sense arguments? I just read last gen graphics are ugly. No. Combat on the Atari 2600 is ugly.

Yeah. If graphics were objective, there would be a lot more agreement. They're clearly not. I mean, graphics debates might include discussion on some objective things (like framerate) but when one person says another game looks "better," they're just stating their opinion.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Midnightshade29

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: the only people here complaining about framer ate are hermits who bash consoles for not having 60fps. Most console only or people like me who play both, don't stress about fps, aren't complainging. You will see the occasional lem used a 2-3 fps difference to praise xb1, but the same time ignore the resolution drop they have as it would be unplayable in 1080p (Witcher 3) on there system.

I have not once had a problem with frame rate on ps4.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@Gue1 said:
@frank_castle said:

a lot more since by comparing GPUs we can notice that the gap is massive. The X360's GPU has 48 cores, the PS3 only like 24, while the PS4's has 1152 with improved architecture and a shit ton of memory. Yet we can hardly see a difference between most last yen and current gen games beyond some resolution increment.

You cant go by those core amounts, Going by FLOP performance you have a better base, 360 gpu is able to do 240 GFLOPS, PS3 gpu+ SPE's from Cell was around 250 GFLOPS for graphics. The PS4 gpu can do around 1800 GFLOPs. Your not looking hard enough then if your not seeing the differences. Any multiplat that is on last gen and on this gen are limited by last gen limits.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GodspellWH

@Midnightshade29 said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: the only people here complaining about framer ate are hermits who bash consoles for not having 60fps. Most console only or people like me who play both, don't stress about fps, aren't complainging. You will see the occasional lem used a 2-3 fps difference to praise xb1, but the same time ignore the resolution drop they have as it would be unplayable in 1080p (Witcher 3) on there system.

Yep and that why cows like brag about having a few better framerate than lems

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

I feel bad for cows. To this day they call Driveclub and Infamous gfx kings.

Yes, even after Witcher3. Go look at SonyGaf (neogaf).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

do you actively try to be wrong?

BloodyTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BloodyTides
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

hmm maybe?