Why the Wii U is Struggling to Sell

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like the Wii U. It has great games, the off TV play is brilliant, and the controls are actually fairly traditional.

In this video, Blunty nailed the problem of the Wii U in the head. HTF are you going to sell something that requires you to try it and take the leap of faith? We live in a skeptical generation that's also quite shallow. Visuals sell for a reason, it's also the easiest to market out to people.

Get with the times Nintendo, we don't want good gameplay. We want shallow cinematics that mimics poorly written movies not even Michael Bay would write.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Luckily the PS4 and Bone have great games regarding both aspects, technical and gameplay departments. You know, those are not mutually exclusive, after all last gen showed us that.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@Giancar said:

Luckily the PS4 and Bone have great games regarding both aspects, technical and gameplay departments. You know, those are not mutually exclusive, after all last gen showed us that.

bone have no games just ryse

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Giancar said:

LOL, no they don't.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Giancar said:

LOL, no they don't.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the announced games, not only released games. The announced games for those platforms are amazing. And yes, people buy games for multiplats too, just becuase those share multiple games doesn't erase such games from the platforms.

Anyways, the launch games seems fine by me, those are after all...launch games.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Not many good games that is why...

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

stop making stupid "reason why wii u is failing" threads people... WE ALL know why it's failing

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Only idiots assume you cant have good gameplay and great visuals and cinematics. This topic is stupid

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Another butthurt Sheep thread. Good graphics and good gameplay aren't mutually exclusive, you can have both.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PurpleMan5000

@I_can_haz said:

Another butthurt Sheep thread. Good graphics and good gameplay aren't mutually exclusive, you can have both.

True, but if you aren't on the PC, you are going to have to wait at least a few months to experience that.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

People care more about graphics than masterpieces.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@PurpleMan5000: I'm enjoying great gameplay and graphics on my PS4 version of BF4 right now. Sure it's a multiplat but I don't only play exclusives and KZSF is also a lot of fun online and has great graphics.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@hiphops_savior:

What can save Wii U right now little sheeps ?

1) Lower price from 300$ to 200$

2) Introduce NEW IPs ffs

3) Lure third party multi titles in . Its pathetic to lack 95% of major third party titles to competition or even worse... to 8 years old consoles !!! Pathetic

4) Stop advertise the system as a controller or to put it blantly they should stop advertising THE CONTROLLER more than system itself. Noone seems to care anymore about gimmicks and fancy controllers. Not that many as last gen even.

That will be a good start imho little sheeps. Mario wasnt enough and it seems nor Zelda will. Nintendo need some drastic measures here and not just one of the same games to save the day

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

Because it stinks

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@I_can_haz said:

@PurpleMan5000: I'm enjoying great gameplay and graphics on my PS4 version of BF4 right now. Sure it's a multiplat but I don't only play exclusives and KZSF is also a lot of fun online and has great graphics.

Well, I haven't played either of those games, but I really don't like online shooters unless they are arena-style like UT2004, so I'm sure I wouldn't agree. To each his own, though.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hiphops_savior

@I_can_haz: FYI, I play SC2 on the PC more than I play on the Wii U.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Good graphics and good gameplay are not mutually exclusive, that has never been true and never will be. Even on Nintendo's own systems that is not true. It is not a coincidence that Mario 3D World is the best playing and best LOOKING game on the Wii U. Most of the best games excel in both areas.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hiphops_savior

@Randolph: I don't think there ever was an argument there. Unfortunately, it seems there are developers out there that uses good graphics as an excuse to create mediocre games that ages poorly.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

It is kind of sad actually, because Nintendo is actually the only company out of the major incumbents who actually develop traditional games i.e 80% gameplay mechanic 20% other stuff. But i think Nintendo was a little bit blinded by the success of the Wii, that particular market is over and done with, most of those casual moms will not go out to buy a new console just to try Wii Fit and those kids are already wanting something more sophisticated than the Wii is currently offering. It is a tight spot really but i really hope this new HD twin consoles gives the WiiU an expected bump in consumer interest. Perhaps Nintendo need to broaden their user base even more than they did with the Wii, perhap a partnership with Disney could really go a long way to help

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

there are market factors at play here as well.

For now, we really don't know if the ps4 or xb1 will even sell more than the wiiu. The amount of sales that the ps4 and xb1 have are totally in line with what the wiiu was selling at initially. I am a Nintendo fan who was tempering the wave of wiiu positivity following its strong launch numbers, and I'm getting that same feeling now.

The hardcore fans of the consoles will buy a lot of units initially. The real test of a console's worth is how much of the mass market buys the console after the loyal fans have all bought their consoles already.

If it wasn't obvious to everyone alredy: the mass market is many, many, many times more important financially than the hardcore loyal gamers.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

It was just severely disappointing with the Wii, the Wii U seems like a $350 disease after that. The Wii was too expensive at $200 for it's lack of good playable games to me... should have been like 75 bucks.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

The WiiU is struggling to sell here (UK) because of the almost total lack of advertising around the console. Most people who I talk to say "what's a WiiU?" (they think it's a Wii). This could explain the lack if interest.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hiphops_savior

@WAJ: I already addressed the point in the OT. It's very very tough to sell a product that has to be used to sell the point.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

stop making stupid "reason why wii u is failing" threads people... WE ALL know why it's failing

because casuals, which were the ones that bought the Wii, don't like the tablet with buttons and price. And now the only ones buying the Wii U are their faithful hardcore fanbase.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

$300+ is a bad deal for 2-3 good Nintendo games per year. Once the price begins to fall we might see the core market adopt wii-u as a secondary/ 3rd string system.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's struggling to sell because it's a piece of crap that no one wants to buy.