Why The PC Is Better Than The Xbox One And PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Snippets:

Thankfully, both the new consoles have received beefed-up specifications that will only help to give game visuals a much-needed boost, driving development forward with this being a good thing for both console and gaming PC owners.

However, while the new consoles are significant leaps ahead in terms of raw processing power and design from their predecessors, it may come as a surprise that PCs are already much more powerful and capable of producing even better graphics in games.
-
So in terms of raw processing power, even comparatively low-end PC processors are actually just as fast or faster than the PS4 and Xbox One, which sports a similar specification. However, it’s the graphics side of things that’s of more interest. AMD has designed custom Radeon GPUs for both new consoles, but both are similar to AMD’s Radeon HD 7870 – a mid-range graphics card that following the release of AMDs latest range of graphics cards such as the R9 290X, is now comparatively old when it comes to the hardware available for the PC.

-

Then there’s the issue of 4K. PC’s are already gaming happily at 4K – the successor to 1080p or HD, and while you need a pretty pricy PC to do it – easily seven times the price of a PS4, this will come down drastically in future as PC hardware manufactures gear their products to deal with the new ultra-high resolution.

-
For me though, the PC is still the ultimate gaming platform and thanks to its support for 4K, regular hardware launch cycles and the continuing support of game developers, I can’t see my view changing any time soon, especially as the knock-on effect of the new console launches will mean PC game graphics will get even better in future.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Yeah but PC is for nerdy kids or geeks with too much time on their hands, how you expect bro gamers and casuals to get into that. I'd rather come home sit in my living room play some COD that way

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

These are well known facts. PC will always look and run better. But thats not why its the best:

PC:

-Better gfx and performnace (even more than ps4 and xbone with a $600 pc)

-More aaa/aa (8.0+) games every gen. Already very far ahead for this gen in AAA and AA. Both exclusive and total.

-Best online by far, games updated more and last longer. bigger and more community.

-Most controller types, the ultimate gaming machine...can use xbone ps4 steam controller on top of kb/m

-Only true competitive gaming

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

except pc needs to resort to begging and petitions for ports of console games. it's actually the worst way to game.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

another lem trying to hide behind pc, is xbone so weak now you have to resort to "change sides" to bash ps4?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts
@xboxdone74 said:

except pc needs to resort to begging and petitions for ports of console games. it's actually the worst way to game.

Iv seen more console gamers begging for PC games than the other way around. You should be proud of your begging. If it wasnt for begging you would have hardly any games to play since all of the popular genres of games you play now and the technology used to run them all derive from the PC platform. Keep begging kids.

Whats more, if you idiots cared so much about 'console games' instead of trying to play bastardized PC games or genres that originated from PC on those ugly-locked-down-boxes with out of date PC hardware in them then you would all be buying and supporting the WiiU and playing Mario instead.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

@xxyetixx said:

Yeah but PC is for nerdy kids or geeks with too much time on their hands, how you expect bro gamers and casuals to get into that. I'd rather come home sit in my living room play some COD that way

So what you're saying is that PC is for adults and consoles are for children that still attach labels to people based on their interests.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

And next gen you can copy pasta the same article but replace 4k with 8k.

Frankly diminishing returns on graphics mean myself and most people simply dont care and prioritize things like price, ease of use, and non gaming features over more resolution and frames.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

Ignoring superior power, modding, indie, social media digital distribution and the rate at which technically pushes forward on pc is well above that of consoles. Currently the consoles are on there last legs with cynical business men in suits trying to xploit the very young userbase with price hikes, sequels and attempting to mimicked movies as opposed to games. It's pretty easy to see this is the last generation of consoles, it will simply become a service, like steam or apple store.

My friends, it's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Jankarcop: With a $600 dollar PC lmao god your funny.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

PC gaming is garbage.

Terrible third party programs such as Origins and the reason free to play and microtransactions are becoming standard. Not to mention paying 3x more for almost identical visuals.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

As a PC gamer myself I'm really starting to hate all this "master race" talk. Yes the PC is a great platform but I still found the need to go out and buy myself a PS4/Xbox One because truth is most of the exclusives don't come out for the PC and if they do it's sometimes months if not a year later.

As in terms of graphics I'm playing my Xbox One on my 60" Samsung LED TV and it's pretty damn impressive. Sure the same games could be done on the PC with better framerate and better visuals but here in Australia you cannot build a $500 PC that is better than a PS4/XB1 it'll cost you well over $1000. So bang for buck you can't go wrong with the consoles.

Whether it's the Xbox One, PS4 or the glorious PC just enjoy gaming for what it is and stop trying to bury each other. This is the only community I've seen that hate each other and want to rip each others heads off. So what if somebody bought a different brand. We are gamers and we must unite!

That's just my 2 cents worth and if it's not good enough than give my 2 cents back you sons of bitches! :)

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

He's 100% correct, consoles are still fun though.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Because Nvidia says so

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

PC is better if that is how you like to game. If not...it isn't. /thread

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@pelvist: no no my son. part of being a pc gamer means you have to get your beg on. dark souls was a great example. hell...gta5 petition pretty much destroyed anything else. console gamers really don't beg for pc indies, which is primarily PCs library. embrace the beg, my son.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

PC gaming is garbage.

Terrible third party programs such as Origins and the reason free to play and microtransactions are becoming standard. Not to mention paying 3x more for almost identical visuals.

You sound mad.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Another lemming that want to be a hermit...wow MS look at what you have done.

AMD has designed custom Radeon GPUs for both new consoles, but both are similar to AMD’s Radeon HD 7870

This ^^ is wrong one of them is close to a 7870,the other close to a 7770.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@Zoso813: Ha touché, there was some sarcasm in that post that you just can't convey through text. But you cannot say that isn't the ignorant way of thinking about PC/gamers....Consoles are just more convenient way to game, you sacrifice the visuals, for the living room experience. Yes I know there are probably some of you that have really awesome set ups out there that give you that same experience but you'd be in the minority of PC gamers.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Why the PC is better:

I can still play my entire library which includes games from at least 10 years back. I can still used the same headset and mic as well.

I'm also playing most of my games @ 2550x1440.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#23  Edited By deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

PC has more power.

But as Crysis games prove, looking good doesn't make a game better. Crysis has got to be the dullest series of games I've ever played.

As Witcher 2 proves, a great game doesn't need graphics to be awesome. If Witcher 2 looked like a PS1 game, I would still love it unconditionally.

I'll take a good game that looks like crap any day then a good looking game that is terrible.

Plus great graphics require a decent computer to run and that is costly, no matter how cheap the games are on Steam. All PC gamers do is pay more for games which are still largely crap.

There aren't many games on PC that aren't on consoles these days. Except Real Time Strategy that is. And of the ones that are exclusive to PC, the games that are worth playing are even fewer.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts
@Gargus said:

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

I prefer the PC, but to say that it is completely better is a matter of opinion and personal sensibilities.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

@danabo:

If you have to ask this question, then you don't have a proper gaming PC.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@pelvist: no no my son. part of being a pc gamer means you have to get your beg on. dark souls was a great example. hell...gta5 petition pretty much destroyed anything else. console gamers really don't beg for pc indies, which is primarily PCs library. embrace the beg, my son.

Yeah that's why Call of Duty originated on consoles. Oh wait..... GTA? No......FarCry? No....Elder Scrolls? No.... Well Damn. Looks like all that console begging actually got you guys something.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Otter

@The_Stand_In: They went where the money was and obviously they benefited. In fact even the PC benefited because they could continue to exist and still provide their games to the PC, even if they were not as PC centric or not up to the same graphics and IQ potential they could've been had they been PC-only.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

These are well known facts. PC will always look and run better. But thats not why its the best:

PC:

-Better gfx and performnace (even more than ps4 and xbone with a $600 pc)

-More aaa/aa (8.0+) games every gen. Already very far ahead for this gen in AAA and AA. Both exclusive and total.

-Best online by far, games updated more and last longer. bigger and more community.

-Most controller types, the ultimate gaming machine...can use xbone ps4 steam controller on top of kb/m

-Only true competitive gaming

Just curious, do you sometimes stream your PC to your HDTV in the lounge room and surround speakers, or have cords connecting them?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Who cares about an opinion piece from forbes

"I'm passionate about PC hardware, software and computer modding." wow, I'm sure the author is very objective

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@PC_Otter:

They didnt leave PC gaming behind to develop games for consoles they went multi platform ( which still includes the PC /donk! ) because multi platform development can be more profitable. The success they have on PC allows them to go multi platform as it creates a little hype, an audience for their games and generates the cash needed in order to fund console development.

If anything they stand to loose more by developing on consoles due to the huge marketing budgets needed to entice console gamers into buying a game they have never heard of. Less successful publishing efforts lead to studios being bought up by publishers for ownership of their IPs and then closed down - there where many examples of this last gen. Old and reliable studios have closed because of the extreme cost of marketing a game to an audience of gamers who couldnt give two shits about a game that isnt another over hyped platform exclusive like Halo, COD, Uncharted etc...

The PC is safer for developers because of MUCH less marketing and development costs, as well as a very loyal fan base that appreciates good games so much that they are still playing and adding to them decades later. If it wasnt for the huge success of such games as The Witcher, XCOM, FALLOUT, Crysis, Rainbow Six, Elder Scrolls, Ghost Recon, GTA, COD and Battlefield on the platform they originated on then you likely wouldnt be playing the sequels to those games on consoles now.

Console fanboys will act like there is nothing on PC that interests them, that all the PC gets is indie games and we need to beg for games just because of a couple of petitions that consolites got loud about... Yet they continue to want and lap up those "uninteresting indie games" and will no doubt continue to do so 10 years from now.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Otter

@pelvist: I didn't say devs left the PC behind, I said they went where the money was at the time (mid last gen) which was the console market. And PC games still require a hype train of sorts for bigger budget action titles to be monetarily successful like Crysis, The Witcher 2, or Total War. Sure they are not on the same level of hype as say Uncharted 3 or the next Call of Duty, but you can bet that their devs made sure to market and appeal to the gamers through various means like the graphics, immersion, etc, etc. Where I think much of the difference lies is in how PC games are marketed, where so much of a title's success comes from word of mouth, a decent amount of advertising, and creating a relationship between the devs and gamers. Mods are the same way.

Simply enough, the bigger your budget goes, the more advertising dollars and press time is needed to garner the gazes and affection of gamers and you need a bigger base of gamers to sell to. This is where multiplatforming came in.