Why the obsession with review scores these days?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Seriously, why? And why is it that every game getting below a 9 gets called a flop? You do realize it's still a 10-point scale. So anything above a 5 should be absolutely playable. But it seems like when a game gets something like a 6 or 7 it's treated like absolute trash. Last I checked a 7 meant 'good' or have I missed something?
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Seriously, why? And why is it that every game getting below a 9 gets called a flop? You do realize it's still a 10-point scale. So anything above a 5 should be absolutely playable. But it seems like when a game gets something like a 6 or 7 it's treated like absolute trash. Last I checked a 7 meant 'good' or have I missed something?metalgear-solid
Yeah I agree, I usually just use scores as a stepping stone to see if I am going to purchase a game or not. I mean if I have my eyes set on a game thats it nothing can change my mind
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
it's essentially to say my console is better then yours. Despite what it comes across like on these boards, people will buy whatever games interest them.
firstfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 firstfist
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
I won't drop $60 on a game that got a 6 for a review. That doesn't mean that I won't rent it or wait for it to come down in price to purchase it.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Not quite sure. I have been playing a good bit of Rise of the Argonauts and it's a very solid action RPG. Definitely better than what Gamespot gave it, imo. I found out I tend to like games like this over games that have been overhyped and all the details have been spoiled. It's nice to be surprised by something every once in a while.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
I won't drop $60 on a game that got a 6 for a review. That doesn't mean that I won't rent it or wait for it to come down in price to purchase it.firstfist
I agree with this rentals are fine but if Im spending $50-$60 then it had better be an experience worthy of both the price tag and rememberance that doesnt mean I wont buy a game I love that I happened to rent but I want to be buying games like RE4 and Zelda TP
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metalgear-solid
Let me just make it clear that I didn't create this thread to see why exactly people care about scores. Sure, I understand people want to see he games they love get good scores but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Games shouldn't be treated like crap when they score below a 9. Quite frankly, I think the reviewing system should be much harsher. Lower scores should be given out and that doesn't even make those games bad, just that so many games shouldn't be getting a 9 or above.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#8 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
Because this is SW, where review scores and sales matter.
aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts
Not quite sure. I have been playing a good bit of Rise of the Argonauts and it's a very solid action RPG. Definitely better than what Gamespot gave it, imo. I found out I tend to like games like this over games that have been overhyped and all the details have been spoiled. It's nice to be surprised by something every once in a while.BioShockOwnz

Agreed. I had a blast playing 'The Experiment' despite the overall (average) critical reception.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
Let me just make it clear that I didn't create this thread to see why exactly people care about scores. Sure, I understand people want to see he games they love get good scores but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Games shouldn't be treated like crap when they score below a 9. Quite frankly, I think the reviewing system should be much harsher. Lower scores should be given out and that doesn't even make those games bad, just that so many games shouldn't be getting a 9 or above.metalgear-solid
in that case my answer is fanboys will be fanboys
joopyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joopyme
Member since 2008 • 2598 Posts

personally, being aware of the game's reviews before purchasing the game, makes me more inclined(if positive) or feel hesistant(i barely feel hesistant when i decide to buy a game though, based on reviews)to buy the game...

Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Hihatrider87
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

your right that people shouldn't care so much about scores. the problem is the desire to prove your own console as better than the others. the most valid argument someone can make to those ends is by showing how the exclusives for their system are better than other systems. the best way to do that is with review scores.

its really the foundation of system wars. to argue which console is better. i've even seen mods state that we aren't supposed to have general game discussion in here at all (which i disagree with).

Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts
i like watching the reviews just to try and get an idea of storyline and gameplay. but my all time fav games werent the highest ratings r6v2 and original killzone
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 metalgear-solid
i like watching the reviews just to try and get an idea of storyline and gameplay. but my all time fav games werent the highest ratings r6v2 and original killzoneace-of-spades93
Yeah, I like the original Killzone, too. I don't understand why everyone keeps calling it crap. 7/10 means the game is GOOD, doesn't it?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="ace-of-spades93"]i like watching the reviews just to try and get an idea of storyline and gameplay. but my all time fav games werent the highest ratings r6v2 and original killzonemetalgear-solid
Yeah, I like the original Killzone, too. I don't understand why everyone keeps calling it crap. 7/10 means the game is GOOD, doesn't it?

It means that it's good but flawed. Those flaws might be game-breakers for some.
wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

Why the obsession? Because that's all the fanboys can say to back up their statement.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="ace-of-spades93"]i like watching the reviews just to try and get an idea of storyline and gameplay. but my all time fav games werent the highest ratings r6v2 and original killzonemetalgear-solid

Killzone got a 6.9 on Gamespot, and it deserved it too(maybe even a 6.5). But I get what your saying.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
5000 posts and you still havent learned the ropes.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
It's just fun and games.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#20 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

Reviews are reviews. Car reviews for example, say the car you were researching had a horrible review for crashes. Knowing that it had bad reviews might change your mind about the car. Video game reviews and other reviews are no different. You do your research and these reviews will save you time and money.

metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 metalgear-solid
Yeah, but the reviewing system is flawed. It's almost as if 6-10 are the only ones used, like 1-5 didn't even exist.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#22 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

Used for what? I believe it doesn't matter what the game scored, 1 or 10, if the game have something worth discussing it will be discussed.

ocelot1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 ocelot1994
Member since 2005 • 1553 Posts
Anything Below 8 for 60 EUROS is not worth my time.

So yes to me anything below 7 is unbuyable because i have other stuff to buy
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
In these threads, all the elitists gather together and talk about how they are better than everyone else. :roll: It happens every single time. TC, review scores determine the quality of the game. If you ask a stupid question, I'm going to respond with a stupid answer...
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

Yeah, but the reviewing system is flawed. It's almost as if 6-10 are the only ones used, like 1-5 didn't even exist.metalgear-solid

You're wrong. That isn't true at all.

dragonpuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dragonpuppy
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts

Because this is SW, where review scores and sales matter.LosDaddie

^This. In SW, we play sales and spin scores.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

i just buy whatever games catch my interest.... dont care much about review scores since in the end they are just opinions of other people and we all know those vary depending on each individual's taste in gaming...

In SW scores count so that fanboys can use them to back up their opinion that the 1 console they own is the best....

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
Seriously, why? And why is it that every game getting below a 9 gets called a flop? You do realize it's still a 10-point scale. So anything above a 5 should be absolutely playable. But it seems like when a game gets something like a 6 or 7 it's treated like absolute trash. Last I checked a 7 meant 'good' or have I missed something?metalgear-solid
are you under the impression this is a new phenomenon? welcome to System Wars?
Avatar image for foreverflame890
foreverflame890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#29 foreverflame890
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts
So i can shove it it the PS3 fans.8)
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 W1NGMAN-

So i can shove it it the PS3 fans.8)foreverflame890

Kind of like this...

MGS4 > Everything else

:D

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
its simple it gives fanboys ammo thats about it im sure an 8 wont stop anyone from getting a game but they act like it does
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts
people cant think for themselves anymore...there are too many variables invovled in independant thought...so we all conform and put an ''experts'' opinion before our own to make life easier here....oh yeah MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
foreverflame890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foreverflame890

[QUOTE="foreverflame890"]So i can shove it it the PS3 fans.8)W1NGMAN-

Kind of like this...

MGS4 > Everything else

GTAIV>MGS4. grand theft auto gets the upper hand due to short cutscenes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Because MY SYSTEM needs to be the best, and everyone must agree!
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 W1NGMAN-
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

[QUOTE="foreverflame890"]So i can shove it it the PS3 fans.8)foreverflame890

Kind of like this...

MGS4 > Everything else

Nope 10 = 10

So MGS4 > Any Exclusive out there

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Greater score = higher quality game

Any game below 90% = fail and unfun

~

Review scores are meaningless. They do absolutely nothing to inform you the consumer about the inherent quality of a game, they are just a quantitative evaluation of the reviewers preferences as compared to the games they are given to review.

Just look at the 2.0 that soccer game got on IGN. They gave the game to someone who doesn't enjoy the title, and despite being a well-made game, it gets knocked as if it is a broken mess. Scores should not even be considered when determining the quality of a game.
foreverflame890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foreverflame890

Greater score = higher quality game

~

Review scores are meaningless. They do absolutely nothing to inform you the consumer about the inherent quality of a game, they are just a quantitative evaluation of the reviewers preferences as compared to the games they are given to review.

Just look at the 2.0 that soccer game got on IGN. They gave the game to someone who doesn't enjoy the title, and despite being a well-made game, it gets knocked as if it is a broken mess. Scores should not even be considered when determining the quality of a game.
foxhound_fox

^Yeah! i agree fox, i enjoyed killzone on the PS2 despite the glitches and horrible online and GS flopped it. i stopped listening to reviewers along time ago.

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
[QUOTE="foreverflame890"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

Kind of like this...

MGS4 > Everything else

W1NGMAN-

Nope 10 = 10

So MGS4 > Any Exclusive out there

MGS4 isn't the only exclusive to get a ten on Gamespot :shock:

IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

Whats the obsession? A great deal of gamers can not think for themselves OR form a logical opinion. So they would rather wait for some source to TELL them what to think about the games and what is good and whats not.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

Sometimes reviews can be useful tool, infact probably most of the time people will look to others for advice on a product if they have no idea what to expect. Users telling me Far Cry 2 sucks and that they only managed 6 hours with it is utterly useless. When someone goes to review a game, they have to test it fairly comprehensively before they can actually state anything about the product in writing, and they have to present their review with acceptable punctuation. Alot of the time critics don't really follow these rules, and the end result is a crap review that isn't worth anything. If all you do is look at a score and say, "yup, that's fine", then that's going to lead to problems. You may not even agree with what the critic is saying in the first place. I advise anyone who uses reviews regularly to actually read them if they are intrested before making any final descisions.

However, this is the world of SW. It's just a big game in its self really, so things like scores, and any other fairly objective information, can be used to great effect here, hence the obssesion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Greater score = higher quality game

~

foreverflame890

^Yeah! i agree fox, i enjoyed killzone on the PS2 despite the glitches and horrible online and GS flopped it. i stopped listening to reviewers along time ago.

You like Killzone, that game was kind of bland in my opinion, proof that reviews won't affect everyone.
Faber_Fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Faber_Fighter
Member since 2006 • 1890 Posts
Games rated udner a 5 i find shouldn't be played at all. A game rated 5-7 should be looked into and rented, unless it was serverly under rated then it could be bought. Any game scoring over a 7 should defiantely be looked at. Too bad most people think an 8.5 is horrible, for example Fable 2.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Scores used to be a much bigger deal before GS changed their review system.