Why the division and destiny never met hype and are highly flawed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

Both are online games that support many players however the problem is that they try too much like a MMO but fail to incorporate things that make MMO good. It's like they try hard to be one but at the same not so much that they won't be compared to other mmo. Wannabe mmo that mimick game design but doesn't incorporate the good elements are flawed and developer need to embrace them

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

I think both games failed to meet the expectations they had. Destiny disappointed me because the story was so half assed done. The core gameplay was tight for a fps, but everything else could've been done better. Hopefully the next one delivers.

The Division kinda started out rough, but Massive and Red Storm have really put in the work to right the ship. The story and plot are good, the tps gameplay is excellent, and the graphics and attention to detail are top notch.

I think part of the reason The Division gets a bad rap, is because people expected it to be something it's not. Many people thought it was going to be some sort of Dayz game set in a post apocalyptic New York, and it wasn't. I think others just couldn't wrap their heads around the complexity of building your character. The Armor, Crit chance/damage, Elite damage/resilience, etc... was just too much for them.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@babyjoker1221 said:

Many people thought it was going to be some sort of Dayz game set in a post apocalyptic New York, and it wasn't.

I never heard one person ever say they thought it was going to be like that.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

They failed? I thought these games had pretty respectable player bases. I never played either though, didn't really appeal to me.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 babyjoker1221

@kvally: There were plenty that said it. A google search I'm sure would pull plenty of references.

Not that it's all those people's fault though. People saw the plot, the use of consumables, looting dropped gear, and just kinda put 2 and 2 together. At that time, there wasn't really any other games on consoles that had that sort of game. Massive should've done a better job explaining the difference between the two.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Having played more than 300 hours of the Division (PC) the last thing I'd call it would be an MMO, it's not even close and anyone who expected it to be was gravely mistaken. The game does not try to be an MMO either. There is literally no similarity to any of the many MMO's I've ever played and the Division.

I've never played Destiny so can't comment on that.

@babyjoker1221 said:

The Division kinda started out rough, but Massive and Red Storm have really put in the work to right the ship. The story and plot are good, the tps gameplay is excellent, and the graphics and attention to detail are top notch.

I think part of the reason The Division gets a bad rap, is because people expected it to be something it's not. Many people thought it was going to be some sort of Dayz game set in a post apocalyptic New York, and it wasn't. I think others just couldn't wrap their heads around the complexity of building your character. The Armor, Crit chance/damage, Elite damage/resilience, etc... was just too much for them.

I'll completely agree with the first sentence :)

As for the mechanics, I don't think even the dev's have managed to wrap their heads around how the stats work :p

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

I enjoyed The Division, it's just a game you can't really play by yourself.

A lot of my friends quit and the game just ended for me.

Destiny to me is not even a real open world MMO like WoW or GW2, ect.

The maps are all gated with loading screens and the worlds are not that open for exploration, pretty linear.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By babyjoker1221

@GarGx1: The devs certainly had their work cut out for them regarding stats.

Dice spent years adjusting damage, bullet drop/velocity, spread, etc... on BF4, and will likely do the same for BF1. It's a pretty hard thing to nail down. The Division is 10x more complicated, so I could only imagine the trouble that would cause.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kvally

@babyjoker1221 said:

@kvally: There were plenty that said it. A google search I'm sure would pull plenty of references.

Not that it's all those people's fault though. People saw the plot, the use of consumables, looting dropped gear, and just kinda put 2 and 2 together. At that time, there wasn't really any other games on consoles that had that sort of game. Massive should've done a better job explaining the difference between the two.

Weird. Everyone I have talked to and saw on the forums thought it was going to be the replacement for Rainbow Six Patriots, and was a modern terrorism type game. But no matter, the game is what is. I personally enjoyed Destiny and the Division. I would say that Destiny didn't meet the hype, but Division met my hype. It kind of exceed my hype to be honest. It is a much deeper game than I anticipated.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 babyjoker1221

@kvally: I feel the same way. Destiny didn't meet the hype for sure. While I enjoyed it for a bit, it seemed to be a nice fps with a bunch of slopoy stuff tacked on.

The Division definitely delivered though. I think some people may have been let down, because they thought it was going to be something it's not.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I liked The Division and thought it did pretty good. Im a huge fan of Borderlands and felt right at home with The Division. Some people seemed to be thrown off with the bullet sponge enemies and maybe expected a game like Ghost Recon Wildands with more realistic damage.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kvally

@babyjoker1221 said:

@kvally: I feel the same way. Destiny didn't meet the hype for sure. While I enjoyed it for a bit, it seemed to be a nice fps with a bunch of slopoy stuff tacked on.

The Division definitely delivered though. I think some people may have been let down, because they thought it was going to be something it's not.

I just think maybe I was expecting to be bigger than it was, in a more open world map with substantially more players around you...more MMO like.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Destiny 2 has potential. The first one missed several opportunities to be a must have title.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Two shit games that bored me to death.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Because Destiny was made by people that don't understand how to create a proper mission based co-op loot shooter. When your endgame is the same 4-5 strikes that they reskin every 12 months, you know the people in charge are mindf(cked.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#16  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

As much as I shit on Destiny when it was first released, once TTK came out I think it was worth the buy-in price. I got well more than my money's worth and played it for a good solid 6 months. If the game had released in the state it was in after TTK, then it would have been much better. But Bungie sold their souls to a bunch of meddling corporate jackasses who made them release the game in a pretty sad state and then screwed them out of their bonus. Can't say I feel bad for them though, they knew what they were getting into.

But I digress. I think Destiny has the best shooting and movement mechanics of any modern console FPS (at least in the top 3). It just feel slick as hell, and I really enjoyed playing the multiplayer aspect and the post-TTK content. That said the bullet-sponge enemies were not fun to fight, especially the bosses (the name escapes me, but the hive wizard one in the Cosmodrome where you are in a tiny ass room with enemies constantly spawning, no cover, and a teleporting/hiding boss with a regenerating shield and ludicrous amount of health that could take 15 minutes to kill. That was some of the worst encounter design I have ever seen). And the loot system was, as other have said, pretty bad. If they can keep the gameplay mechanics and itterate on the dungeons (the raids were fun IMO, especially King's Fall) and loot systems to make them more enjoyable then Destiny 2 should be great. But, and it is a big BUT, it already looks like it is going to be rushed since Bungie has to release it this year or they lose a shit-ton of money and stock options. So I fully expect another mess of a game at launch like with the original.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Destiny story was so lackluster and missing content it suffered big time. Only redeeming quality was how polished and smooth it was to play. I also remember it being the first PS4 title that made me go "whoah, that looks bloody nice". But I got bored very quick

Division I enjoyed a lot more. I must admit though I haven't touched and of the DLC, but from what ive read and heard they greatly improved the issues. I would like to try it again, but I just don't have time (plus I want to grind ghost recon when that comes out)

Be very interesting to see how Destiny 2 is. Peter dinkalge will never voice act a game again but haha