Why the 3DS is worth getting...not because of the games, but because of....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainBeer
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

Backwards Compatability. Everyone knows the 3DS has little games right now, but noone ever talks about the slide analog pad. Take Mario 64 DS for instance. It was a pain in the ass to play it with the D-Pad back in the day, but try playing it on the 3DS. It's a major improvement and actually makes the game more enjoyable.

This is not to say the 3DS is too expensive, but it is worth it to buy it right now if you have a large selection of 3D platformers on your original DS.

Just look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaI7wO4CxLY

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Most of the good DS platformers, as well as any game, are 2D. A DS is just fine.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
You can always play SM64 on Virtual Console, which arguably has the best controls
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Or just stick with your DS and wait for a 3DS price drop, better games and maybe a revision.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Or just stick with your DS and wait for a 3DS price drop, better games and maybe a revision.tomarlyn
This, but if you can't wait for the 3DS, then get it.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Backwards Compatability. Everyone knows the 3DS has little games right now, but noone ever talks about the slide analog pad. Take Mario 64 DS for instance. It was a pain in the ass to play it with the D-Pad back in the day, but try playing it on the 3DS. It's a major improvement and actually makes the game more enjoyable.

This is not to say the 3DS is too expensive, but it is worth it to buy it right now if you have a large selection of 3D platformers on your original DS.

Just look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaI7wO4CxLY

CaptainBeer

If that's the case, I would rather have my DS Lite. It plays DS games and Gameboy Advance games.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

then why don't i just go buy a ds if i want to play ds games and that BC also and way cheaper.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Or just stick with your DS and wait for a 3DS price drop, better games and maybe a revision.bbkkristian

If a bunch of money magically dropped from the sky I'd get one with OoT straight away, but right now its not worth it. I actually had £200 sitting in my Paypal account waiting to make a pre-order with at least one game. Then I found out the launch price alone was £220 so I spent that money on 7 or 8 amazing used/on sale games including MGS4, Demons Souls, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I don't like playing original DS games on the 3DS.. There are black bars on the sides which absolutely KILLS me, and its stretched out and pixelated because of the screen resolution difference. But maybe thats just me.. If you plan on getting 3DS games later but have to play something from the original DS NOW, then do it, but if not and you don't plan on getting 3DS games then get a DSiXL its awesome...

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Or just stick with your DS and wait for a 3DS price drop, better games and maybe a revision.tomarlyn

If a bunch of money magically dropped from the sky I'd get one with OoT straight away, but right now its not worth it. I actually had £200 sitting in my Paypal account waiting to make a pre-order with at least one game. Then I found out the launch price alone was £220 so I spent that money on 7 or 8 amazing used games including MGS4, Demons Souls, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

Yeah, it really all depends on the person and their wants and needs. For some, it's too much, for some they will pay it. I payed it but screwed myself because I regret selling some games. :( I probably should've waited.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Good god, I thought you were going to say Netflix.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Good god, I thought you were going to say Netflix.bobcheeseball

LOL! So did I

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CaptainBeer
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] This, but if you can't wait for the 3DS, then get it.bbkkristian

If a bunch of money magically dropped from the sky I'd get one with OoT straight away, but right now its not worth it. I actually had £200 sitting in my Paypal account waiting to make a pre-order with at least one game. Then I found out the launch price alone was £220 so I spent that money on 7 or 8 amazing used games including MGS4, Demons Souls, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

Yeah, it really all depends on the person and their wants and needs. For some, it's too much, for some they will pay it. I payed it but screwed myself because I regret selling some games. :( I probably should've waited.

These are the only titles worth buying for the 3DS right now, but

These are the ones that will be worth it

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Aww and here I was thinking this was gonna be about the 3D boob effects the Japanese are incorporating into "games" on the 3DS.:(

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] If a bunch of money magically dropped from the sky I'd get one with OoT straight away, but right now its not worth it. I actually had £200 sitting in my Paypal account waiting to make a pre-order with at least one game. Then I found out the launch price alone was £220 so I spent that money on 7 or 8 amazing used games including MGS4, Demons Souls, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

CaptainBeer

*Rayman 3D* *Zelda Ocarina 3D*These are the only titles worth buying for the 3DS right now, but

*Luigi's Mansion 2* *Paper Mario 3D* *Super Mario 3D* These are the ones that will be worth it

I bought Ocarina 3D before I even got the system (so I could get the CD), but right now, the game I want the most that isn't released yet is Kid Icarus 3D. I have nothing but high hopes for that game.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

[QUOTE="bobcheeseball"]Good god, I thought you were going to say Netflix.VendettaRed07

LOL! So did I

Same here. Though his argument was going to be 3D movies haha.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

This is pretty much why I picked up the 3ds early, (I didn't have a ds) because of pokemon black and other ds games. I knew I would have plenty to play while I wait for the 3ds games to come out.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] If a bunch of money magically dropped from the sky I'd get one with OoT straight away, but right now its not worth it. I actually had £200 sitting in my Paypal account waiting to make a pre-order with at least one game. Then I found out the launch price alone was £220 so I spent that money on 7 or 8 amazing used games including MGS4, Demons Souls, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

CaptainBeer

These are the only titles worth buying for the 3DS right now, but

There are more than that. Ghost Recon, Street Fighter, Blazblue, and Dead or Alive are all great games, and Resident Evil and Nintendogs+Cats are decent. Rabbids Travel in Time is also fun, albeit far to simple.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
DS games don't look good on the 3DS.DSiXL is the best choice if you want to play DS games.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It would be worth getting if you don't already own a ds. It's not really worth it right now though if you own a ds.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Wake me when the new 3DS model comes out and there are finally games I want to buy that are released.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
You want to play DS games? Here's an idea... buy a DS.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Or just pick up a DS for really cheap now and enjoy cheap games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
So I should buy a $250 handheld to play games which I can play by spending just $99? THAT'S A GENIUS IDEA.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

i dont understand all these 3DS hate threads as much as i dont understand the others trying to defend the system..

I know Nintendo has dominated the handheld market but honestly I think they could have done better with the 3DS launch... however lets not make it look like 3DS is a complete disaster..

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

i dont understand all these 3DS hate threads as much as i dont understand the others trying to defend the system..

I know Nintendo has dominated the handheld market but honestly I think they could have done better with the 3DS launch... however lets not make it look like 3DS is a complete disaster..

Malta_1980
True, the 3DS launch was so mishandled, it's not even funny.