why people hate Mass Effect trilogy?

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by indzman (16837 posts) -

Ummm... Mass Effect trilogy is a superb action rpg trilogy, but i see people always complaining about it being more of a third person shooter than a proper rpg series .Even if you consider it a third person shooter with rpg elements, its still awesome. Best sci fi game series currently, enjoyable and replayable for NG + mode ... imo.

Why so many people hate Mass Effect trilogy? I'm amazed people enjoy dungeon crawlers as Dragon Age and yet hate on Mass Effect created by same devs.

#2 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

They dislike the last 10 minutes.

#3 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
Same reason people hate every popular series out there.
#4 Posted by MBirdy88 (7358 posts) -
apparently because of a bad ending the series now sucks. idiot logic for you.
#5 Posted by indzman (16837 posts) -

GD1551

They disliked ME I also, took a slight liking towards ME 2 and complete hate towards ME 3 :(

#6 Posted by Giancar (19043 posts) -
> Bioware "betrayed" them > cool to hate popular franchises > last 10 minutes > texasgoldrush Among other reasons. I find it to be a great series.
#7 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
Isnt it obvious ? They got nothing better to do. Just a few days ago some idiot said ME3 has too many QTE's. Those damn SELF ENTITLED jerks.
#8 Posted by Boddicker (2379 posts) -

Your "life or death" decisions didn't really matter since you got a pallete swap replacement for every character that died.

Paragon Shepherd was a complete PC pussua in his quest to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE but not offend anyone in the process.

Renegade Sheperd crossed the line into monstrous territory a few too many times.

#9 Posted by GarGx1 (2419 posts) -

Absolutely love the trilogy, very much hate the last 10 mins.

#10 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Some people like different things. I don't like the Zelda series but there's millions of gamers who do. Also the whole "Is Mass Effect a RPG/Shooter" debate is f*cking stupid and it only matters to insecure gamers.
#11 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1181 posts) -

Probobly the same people who love to hate on everything if isn't the same as games 15 years ago. Personally the entire ME trilogy is my favorite ip from this gen and rank among some of my top games of all time.

#12 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I enjoyed the first game quite thoroughly. The second, while better mechanically, was going down a different thematic road than I expected and didn't really want, but I played it and enjoyed it regardless. The third game, while a mechanical beauty, was marred by seriously odd design decisions concerning story, characters and overall themes. It was a good game when the chest high walls were in play, but I was extremely apathetic towards the rest of the game, and this doesn't even factor in the joke of an ending. I dislike when my criticisms are lumped in with unfounded "hate for the sake of hate". Just because something is popular, doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it. inb4 texasgoldrush and/or dreman999 and/or papdorra (sp?)
#13 Posted by DivineSword (15740 posts) -

People have different taste, which explains why some prefer Dragon Age over Mass Effect. Not sure why you were amazed by that.

#14 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38201 posts) -

It's not hated, the game just took some seriously bad design routes over the course of the trilogy and the 3rd game was basically one massive lie from casey hudson

#15 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

Mass_Effect_3.jpg

#16 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

Not sure why they hate it, I like the series. Its great.

#17 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -
The combat mechanics is clunky and annoying in all games. Especially the first one of course. Choices doesn't matter. EXTREMELY linear. Bland environments for the most part, which is very dissapointing considering the setting. And silly dialogue at times.
#18 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -
I just find the games extremely boring.
#19 Posted by mems_1224 (46157 posts) -
because gamers are cry babies and hate everything
#20 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
Mass Effect is my favorite trilogy of the gen.
#21 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

No game will have universal appeal, some won't like what other people do, no one i know anywere hates the trilogy.

This thread is stupid as f*ck, man. Jesus.. 

#22 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I enjoyed the first game quite thoroughly. The second, while better mechanically, was going down a different thematic road than I expected and didn't really want, but I played it and enjoyed it regardless. The third game, while a mechanical beauty, was marred by seriously odd design decisions concerning story, characters and overall themes. It was a good game when the chest high walls were in play, but I was extremely apathetic towards the rest of the game, and this doesn't even factor in the joke of an ending. I dislike when my criticisms are lumped in with unfounded "hate for the sake of hate". Just because something is popular, doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it. inb4 texasgoldrush and/or dreman999 and/or papdorra (sp?)

Sounds like you hate ME2 out of spite. I suppose theres alot of things you hate simply because they were popular, like Justin Bieber or Chocolate.
#23 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9739 posts) -

Mass Effect games have perilously thin gameplay. It's holding on by a thread the whole time, almost lost in its cinematic aesthetic.

I still enjoyed the games though, particularly ME2 (one of my favorites this gen)

#24 Posted by PAL360 (26627 posts) -

I love it! ME1 > ME2 > ME3, though.

#25 Posted by Silverbond (16046 posts) -

Idk, haven't finished ME3 yet but the trilogy is good so far.

There's really no way the last 10 mins are as bad as everyone says

#26 Posted by khoofia_pika (13513 posts) -
Because they're stupid people who overreact to everything. And because they have horrible opinion and have no taste in games.
#27 Posted by AdobeArtist (22786 posts) -

Not so much hated as it's the series in which opinion is the most divided.

#28 Posted by Maroxad (7925 posts) -

Didnt play Mass Effect 3. Outside of the demo that is. But I didnt care for the setting, the characters or the plot. I didnt care for the gameplay either playing like a poor man's RPG and a poor man's shooter. I didnt care for the level design, I didnt care for the lack of variety.

We all have different opinions and no game will ever hold universal appeal.

#29 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17571 posts) -

GD1551
#30 Posted by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -

Your "life or death" decisions didn't really matter since you got a pallete swap replacement for every character that died.

Paragon Shepherd was a complete PC pussua in his quest to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE but not offend anyone in the process.

Renegade Sheperd crossed the line into monstrous territory a few too many times.

Boddicker
So Wreav is a "palette swap" of Wrex, are you kidding? This is why I think detractors of the series are some of the dumbest in gaming. They completely lie about the game. Let me educate you....they don't "palette swap", they replace some characters with afoil, an opposite which changes the entire tone of the story. So while Wrex will lead the Krogan to peace and respectability, Wreav will lead them to war after the Reaper threat is over. The tone of the Tuchanka arc is entirely different with Wrex than with Wreav. Nevermind your choice in ME2 can impact the survival of the moderating force, Eve. And many cases they don't get replaced, and different things can happen. Many of the times, major. "Paragon Shepherd was a complete PC pussua in his quest to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE but not offend anyone in the process. Renegade Sheperd crossed the line into monstrous territory a few too many times." News flash....they fixed this problem in ME3.
#31 Posted by DarkLink77 (31684 posts) -

Because I don't like generic sci-fi.

#32 Posted by RR360DD (11496 posts) -
Its a brilliant trilogy. People are just stupid
#33 Posted by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I enjoyed the first game quite thoroughly. The second, while better mechanically, was going down a different thematic road than I expected and didn't really want, but I played it and enjoyed it regardless. The third game, while a mechanical beauty, was marred by seriously odd design decisions concerning story, characters and overall themes. It was a good game when the chest high walls were in play, but I was extremely apathetic towards the rest of the game, and this doesn't even factor in the joke of an ending. I dislike when my criticisms are lumped in with unfounded "hate for the sake of hate". Just because something is popular, doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it. inb4 texasgoldrush and/or dreman999 and/or papdorra (sp?)

And yet, the ending was fixed and now connects with the themes of the series. ME3 is the BEST of the trilogy as of now...storywise as well. Why? Because it manages to have a strong focused plot while allowing characters to develop along the lines of the plot. ME1 sacrificed character development for a strong plot (which really was even more contrived than the sequels), so your characters not named Wrex became talking codex entries. ME2 had the weakest plot of the series because there was too much focus on character development and universe building. The only defense is to say that the characters themselves are the plot. The underdeveloped ending at first was odd.....but the choices regarding its characters and overall themes aren't odd.
#34 Posted by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -
Its a brilliant trilogy. People are just stupidRR360DD
This
#35 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

I finally got to play Playing Mass Effect 1 is like playing a PS1 game, lol which gives to show to much better ME2 and ME3 are.

#36 Posted by svenus97 (2289 posts) -
[QUOTE="Giancar"]> Bioware "betrayed" them > cool to hate popular franchises > last 10 minutes > texasgoldrush Among other reasons. I find it to be a great series.

Pretty much this.
#37 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

Loved 1 and 2 not played 3 because they out it on origin.

#38 Posted by V3rciS (2207 posts) -

Mass Effect is like the best sh!t ever... whoever hates it is simply nuts.
I do understand that some people felt disappointed with ME3 ending but that still doesn't mean that the games suck. Definitely one of my favourite of all times...

#39 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

I finally got to play Playing Mass Effect 1 is like playing a PS1 game, lol which gives to show to much better ME2 and ME3 are.

finalstar2007

Play the PC version next time.  

#40 Posted by DarkLink77 (31684 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Lucianu

Play the PC version next time.  

Do you know who you're talking to?
#41 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Sounds like you hate ME2 out of spite.Lulekani
:lol: Did you miss the part where I said I enjoyed the game regardless of the design choices I didn't? Do people even read posts anymore? It's like you have an agenda to rag on "haters" and don't care if the person you attack is a hater or not.
#42 Posted by Heil68 (43160 posts) -
I don't , I celebrate the entire series.
#43 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. texasgoldrush
I don't even bother reading your posts anymore. It's like you think people aren't entitled to an opinion regarding these games.
#44 Posted by texasgoldrush (9117 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. You just don't get it. Zeviander
I don't even bother reading your posts anymore. It's like you think people aren't entitled to an opinion regarding these games.

So an opinion based around a point being missed is valid? Thats what most ME3 detractors actually do, miss the point or plot element to criticize the game.
#45 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Gamers can be whiny little biatches

#46 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
So an opinion based around a point being missed is valid?texasgoldrush
Not everyone is Mass Effect Wiki scholar like you are Texas.
#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38201 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I enjoyed the first game quite thoroughly. The second, while better mechanically, was going down a different thematic road than I expected and didn't really want, but I played it and enjoyed it regardless. The third game, while a mechanical beauty, was marred by seriously odd design decisions concerning story, characters and overall themes. It was a good game when the chest high walls were in play, but I was extremely apathetic towards the rest of the game, and this doesn't even factor in the joke of an ending. I dislike when my criticisms are lumped in with unfounded "hate for the sake of hate". Just because something is popular, doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it. inb4 texasgoldrush and/or dreman999 and/or papdorra (sp?)Lulekani
Sounds like you hate ME2 out of spite. I suppose theres alot of things you hate simply because they were popular, like Justin Bieber or Chocolate.

What? :? He said he still enjoyed it, it just went a different direction than he wanted. And he's right, ME2 went forward a few steps regarding combat but went a good bit backwards in terms of story, characters and exploration. It was like a pokemon adventure where you had to catch as many squad mates as possible. I still think it's the worst in the trilogy

#48 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

> Bioware "betrayed" them > cool to hate popular franchises > last 10 minutes > texasgoldrush Among other reasons. I find it to be a great series.Giancar

Any one of these.

#49 Posted by Newhopes (4468 posts) -

Because it bored me to death.

#50 Posted by DarkLink77 (31684 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]So an opinion based around a point being missed is valid?Zeviander
Not everyone is Mass Effect Wiki scholar like you are Texas.

Dayum-Five-Guys-Reaction.gif

Oh mah Lawd. The perfect response.