Why PC requirements of games exceeding lately ?

• 45 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

The Evil Within, Assassins Creed : Unity have really steep requirements plus The Evil Within already a unoptimised peice of crap ( Shame on you Bethseda ). Are devs like Ubisoft kinda purposely forcing PC gamers to upgrade to high end set ups or to scare PC gamers away from PC gaming so they turn to console gaming ? Why are they doing this when XONE or PS 4 Requirements are much lower ?

Lots of gamers ( Neogaf, IGN, Reddit boards ) complaining about steep PC requirements needed for certain games like above mentioned whereas next gen games as Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein New Order, Watch Dogs dosen'tve such steep requirements but very much well optimised on PC.Even Dragon Age Inquisition a next gen sandbox rpg got normal requirements for a PC game.

Whats your opinion on this matter warriors? :)

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Shitty ports.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

These games just require a lot of power to run. Ubisoft isn't great at making PC ports, nor are many developers that port multiplatform games to PC. PC has had crappy multiplats a long time, particularly from Ubisoft. Remember Splinter Cell Double Agent? That came out almost a decade ago, and it's one of the worst ports PC has ever seen. Unless they spend a considerable amount of time optimizing the PC versions of the games specifically, they'll always require more power to run than they really should.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Shitty ports.

Shitty optimization.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@indzman said:

The Evil Within, Assassins Creed : Unity have really steep requirements plus The Evil Within unoptimised peice of crap. Are devs like Ubisoft kinda purposely forcing PC gamers to upgrade to high end set ups or to scare PC gamers away from PC gaming so they turn to console gaming ? Why are they doing this when XONE or PS 4 Requirements are much lower ?

Lots of gamers ( Neogaf, IGN, Reddit boards ) complaining about steep PC requirements needed for certain games like above mentioned whereas next gen games as Shadow of Mordor , Wolfenstein New Order, Watch Dogs dosen'tve such steep requirements but very much well optimised on PC.Even Dragon Age Inquisition a sandbox rpg got normal requirements.

A PC with similar hardware to the PS4 will run these ports as similar levels of performance.

It's not like these games run any better on consoles.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

inb4 "mah gddr5"

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

because they don't want to spend time doing optimization for PC (lazy dev)

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i'm ok with them. so far so good and i'm yet to do my gpu upgrade.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
@rekthard said:

because they don't want to spend time doing optimization for PC (lazy dev)

Pretty much this. 6 gigs of RAM, i5 and 7970 for minimum? lol

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

What made you think devs were ever that good at optimizing PC games in the first place?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

TEW? That things runs on a potato. It's the shit optimization that makes it impossible for any card to keep it at 60fps. 30 however is easy.

Besides Unity, which is obviously bullshit, which games have high requirements?

Only heavy games i can think of right now are Crysis 3 and Ryse Son of Rome. And those 2 are well optimized overall, thnaks to Cryteks PC skills.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Because lazy console ports.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

Are you seriously grouping Shadow of Mordor together with Watch Dogs?

Shadow of Mordor's PC version is very well optimized, unlike Watch Dogs.

As for the rest, I haven't got Evil Within or Wolfenstein, but I haven't heard much of a commotion over system requirements of those. Only thing that really fits in is Assassin's Creed Unity. That just looks like another case of "we don't need to optimize PC games because PC gamers can buy better graphics cards."

GamingElite021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GamingElite021
Member since 2014 • 89 Posts

Shitty ports, Horrible Optimization of horrible games no PC gamers care about.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

they will say lazy devs

i say different buggy open systems with slow ass ddr3 ram and watercoolers

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

They aren't as much as you think. Most publishers, especially Ubisoft and Bethesda, overstate their requirements.

Wolfenstein:TNO and Watch Dogs both run on integrated graphics chips. Yet they state a GTX 450 as the minimum GPU.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

A PC with similar hardware to the PS4 will run these ports as similar levels of performance.

It's not like these games run any better on consoles.

Yep, this bad optimisation usually affects the console versions in similar ways.

The Evil Within drops into the low 20s on PS4 and XB1.

I wouldn't be surprised if AC:U can't keep stable 30 fps either, despite running in 1600x900

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Watch Dogs was absolutely not well optimized. Devs don't bother to make nice ports from consoles, the sales are on console.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@LustForSoul said:

Watch Dogs was absolutely not well optimized. Devs don't bother to make nice ports from consoles, the sales are on console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-rVBC3NFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKET_0nJcg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3gtSKsRtVo

What sales? All consoles toghether? STEAM makes more money than any individual console.

Do you own all consoles in existence?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I think they are posting recommended requirements to play the games at 1440p-4k. Im not sure whats going on with the minimum requirements for AC:Unity but I doubt they are accurate.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Shitty port, plain and simple, it's not like all PC games are having a sudden spike in requirements, it's simply that Ubi has the worst reputation when it comes to PC gaming, they just can't do PC games to save their lives

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LustForSoul

@True_Gamer_ said:

@LustForSoul said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

What sales? All consoles toghether? STEAM makes more money than any individual console.

Not sure what owning consoles has to do with any of this. It should be pretty obvious I'm talking about the publishers/developers side of things, their games sell more on console. Evil Within is a nice example of that, that game ran at a locked 30 fps on console. It was a shock to see it also locked at 30 fps on a god damn PC, because guess what, it was made for consoles first. They didn't bother to spend money optimizing it for PC's. Even when you unlock the framerate for 60 fps, you need 20 titans to run it smoothly.

I don't care if it runs shitty on console, they are limited. You shouldn't have problems running Watch Dogs on a 400 dollar GPU, yet people do. Consoles hold it back, cause on consoles it sells.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RyviusARC

I usually wait a little before I play new games.

The devs of Ryse: Son of Rome finally released a patch that fixed a lot of the bugs in the game.

I can finally play at 1440p with 1.5xSSAA (max settings) while getting around 48-55fps. I will probably cap the fps at 50 which is much smoother than 30fps.

I could turn off the 1.5xSSAA then use the temporal AA and always get 60fps but I like the clarity and 50fps is not that bad.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 True_Gamer_

@LustForSoul said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@LustForSoul said:

Not sure what owning consoles has to do with any of this. It should be pretty obvious I'm talking about the publishers/developers side of things, their games sell more on console. Evil Within is a nice example of that, that game ran at a locked 30 fps on console. It was a shock to see it also locked at 30 fps on a god damn PC, because guess what, it was made for consoles first. They didn't bother to spend money optimizing it for PC's. Even when you unlock the framerate for 60 fps, you need 20 titans to run it smoothly.

I don't care if it runs shitty on console, they are limited. You shouldn't have problems running Watch Dogs on a 400 dollar GPU, yet people do. Consoles hold it back, cause on consoles it sells.

If a game is shitty on consoles AND is shitty on PC so what?

This gen we are seeing and will see even more games move to PC and fast.

The first FIFA on the 360 released on 25th of SEPTEMBER 2006 http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/08/23/gc-2006-microsoft-press-conference

THAT ^^^ engine was firt ported to PC on 28th of September 2010 http://web.archive.org/web/20100828084857/http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/news/item/file/FIFA-11-PC-More-Details

4 years later.

This gen first fifa was FIFA 14 released on PS4/Xbone ONLY on 12th of November 2013.

Merely 10 months later FIFA 15 using PS4/Xbone assets released on PC.

Same for NBA2k 3 years last gen 10 months this gen.

Tekken 7 coming on PC MGS confirmed

Rockstar going as planned with GTA 5 (milked the console gamers with a PoS last gen crap)

Hell Crytek was FORCED to port Ryse to PC....go tell them that sales are on the Xbone....

NoahProa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NoahProa
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts

@gamingelite021 said:

Are pc gamers favorite games all the ones that run well?

The eliminates most shooters, third person games...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

@bldgirsh said:

Shitty ports.

Shitty optimization.

Both of these things.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I think they are reasonable.

Don't expect a jump in graphical fidelity, without a jump in hardware requirements.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@gamingelite021 said:

Well, I care about them. Usually my favorite games are multiplats like these. AC Unity is my most hyped game right now. But that isn't saying much, I don't get hyped. I just want to buy AC Unity as soon as possible.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@LustForSoul:

20 titans? Now your just bullshiting. Picking example of bad ports yet you don't mention the good ones on PC. Evil Within on console doesn't even have a stable fps dropping to 17fps on the ps4. It also sub hd on the xbox one including blackbars you would think a next gen console could run a game better than that on higher resolution. Even with the patches they still see drops.

Loading Video...
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

People got spoiled by long last generation of consoles, when even weaker PCs could run circles around consoles. Now next-gen is here and the demands of their games obviously had to jump like hell.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By True_Gamer_

@AdrianWerner said:

People got spoiled by long last generation of consoles, when even weaker PCs could run circles around consoles. Now next-gen is here and the demands of their games obviously had to jump like hell.

If I remember correctly Oblivion demanded a monster rig in March 2006...

Why AC unity can run on a 7790 Xbone GPU while demanding an R9 290 minimum on PC? The gap between these two is so gigantic that its beyond funny...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Ubishit sucks at optimization, i.e. doesn't even bother trying. We saw it with watch dogs, it took someone unlocking the original E3 effects and code to make it run like butter

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Minimum requirements on PC games used to reflect what was required to make the game run like crap. I think that now they are reflecting what is required to run the game on console settings (usually low) at 1080p.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Optimization and payments by Nvidia.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

They probably don't see the point in putting much effort into it. I mean they are going to put a majority of their time in doing the console versions as that's where the money is.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Not much effort, requiring brute power instead of actually optiziming their games. Go look at games designed for PC and how well they run on even mid-range hardware from 2 years ago compared to the shit that console devs are putting out.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LustForSoul
@DarthRamms said:

@LustForSoul:

20 titans? Now your just bullshiting. Picking example of bad ports yet you don't mention the good ones on PC. Evil Within on console doesn't even have a stable fps dropping to 17fps on the ps4. It also sub hd on the xbox one including blackbars you would think a next gen console could run a game better than that on higher resolution. Even with the patches they still see drops.

It wasn't in the literal sense. I was just saying that it was poorly optimized, asking for a lot of power even though the game isn't that much of a looker.

I know there's good ports out there but when I see even big budget titles running like garbage on PC I just lose hope. Unlocking the framerate for NFS Rivals to 60 fps actually doubled the game's speed. That's just ludicrous. The black bar trick will be applied to more games, devs screaming cinematic view. Even then it runs an unstable 30 fps, PC ports are done for. There's definitely some diamonds out there, but the shit ones stand out.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

The only shitty ports i know are from Ubisoft. Despite what they said about the evil within it actually runs well in a wide range of hardware

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/the-evil-within-test-gpu.html

In fact a 7850 has the exact same results as a ps4 so i dont get why people think it needs a beast of a machine

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC optimization isn't the problem. Optimization accross the board on all systems sucks on these games.

As bad as these "console ports" are.......They actually run far worse on consoles , and at sub HD:

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@indzman said:

The Evil Within, Assassins Creed : Unity have really steep requirements plus The Evil Within already a unoptimised peice of crap ( Shame on you Bethseda ). Are devs like Ubisoft kinda purposely forcing PC gamers to upgrade to high end set ups or to scare PC gamers away from PC gaming so they turn to console gaming ? Why are they doing this when XONE or PS 4 Requirements are much lower ?

Lots of gamers ( Neogaf, IGN, Reddit boards ) complaining about steep PC requirements needed for certain games like above mentioned whereas next gen games as Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein New Order, Watch Dogs dosen'tve such steep requirements but very much well optimised on PC.Even Dragon Age Inquisition a next gen sandbox rpg got normal requirements for a PC game.

Whats your opinion on this matter warriors? :)

My opinion is that you only need a really modern and high end pc if you want to utilize all the crazy new graphical options.

If you're comfortable with med-high settings with maybe a few luxury options turned off then you won't need to spend big bucks on a pc anytime soon.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdrianWerner

@True_Gamer_ said:

Why AC unity can run on a 7790 Xbone GPU while demanding an R9 290 minimum on PC? The gap between these two is so gigantic that its beyond funny...

Well..two reasons

- Optimisation is always better on consoles

- the specs for PC version are for more than 900p/sub30FP/medium settings

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I complained about that too, but everyone who wants a gaming PC should have at least an i5, 8 gigs of RAM and 660 Ti.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

PC optimization isn't the problem. Optimization accross the board on all systems sucks on these games.

As bad as these "console ports" are.......They actually run far worse on consoles , and at sub HD:

Good point. For example Dead Rising 3 is considered a crappy port too.

But on Xbone it runs sub 30 FPS sub 1080p too. So It's not just PC who is suffering from this.

AC: Unity sounds like a crappy PC port. But console versions are only 900/30

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

I notice more aliasing in the patched version, there could be more things that are slightly worse. A cheap way to get better performance but still preferable to the massive frame drops before the patch.

Loading Video...

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 True_Gamer_

@AdrianWerner said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

Well..two reasons

- Optimisation is always better on consoles

- the specs for PC version are for more than 900p/sub30FP/medium settings

But why there isnt a 900p benchmark so we can see it?

And optimisation cannot in any case cover the gap between a 7790 and 290....

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner

@True_Gamer_ said:

But why there isnt a 900p benchmark so we can see it?

And optimisation cannot in any case cover the gap between a 7790 and 290....

Well..maybe because the game isn't out yet? Kind of hard to do benchmarks when there's nothing to do them with.

And optimisation might not cover all the gap, but it will cover a big part of it.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RyviusARC

It's funny that the PS4 can only handle FF14 at 30 fps when rendering at 1080p.

My PC can play it at higher settings at 4k res (3840x2160) while never dipping below 60fps.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The newer games seem to run worse on consoles too than what I am used to.
Ah I didn't read the thread. I am happy to see someone else notice that too.

The difference between a PS4 and PS3 isn't exactly earth shattering. It was pretty mild if I recall correctly. I doubt that would explain half of it.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Because games are not Xbox360 ports now...