Why PC gaming is at the forefront of the industry

#301 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Again...this speaks volumes of the type of PC gamers have in general.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

About 50% of the ppl on Steam don't have real gaming PCs and probably won't be able to play TW3 in any sort of respect as all those pics ppl are showing.

And Steam has around 80 million active users...so if only half have "real gaming PCs" then that's 40 million gaming PCs. What's your point?

#302 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

About 50% of the ppl on Steam don't have real gaming PCs and probably won't be able to play TW3 in any sort of respect as all those pics ppl are showing.

48+% of ppl don't even own a quad CPU.

And like 12% are using the Intel GPU....the most commone "GPU" on Steam.....Intel HD Graphics 4000.

According to Cranler's stats, there are still FAR FAR more powerful PCs than PS4s atm. (24m vs 10m). jesus!

In other words, more PC gamers than PS4 gamers will enjoy better gfx and its just the start of the gen, that gap will only increase as more people upgrade and uber-budget GFX cards start to decimate PS4.

#303 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@mikhail said:

Oh my god...Cranler is now fixated on Crossfire, the Free to Play Korean shooter that is played in internet cafes, and calling it "The PC's most popular shooter"...ignoring the fact that NO ONE in the western world plays it AT ALL, and NO ONE here has ever even heard of it. The only reason Cranler even knows it exists is because he found it on a random Google search when trying in vain to find something to refute another poster.

Master level fail right there. Classic fucking Cranler.

Ok so let me get this straight, it's ok to use global pc revenue to compare to console but we're not supposed to speak of any of the games that have huge impacts on said revenue. LOL!

And that game makes more money than Dota 2 and TF 2 combined. Crossfire has more concurrent players than Dota 2, every Counterstrike version, all the battlefields, TF 2 and all the CoD's combined.

#304 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1612 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

And Steam has around 80 million active users...so if only half have "real gaming PCs" then that's 40 million gaming PCs. What's your point?

Right...and if you think even a vast majoirty of those 80 million of those users are gaming anywhere near your average gamer....then you're believing a lie.

I see the daily user data....it's gone up from 3.5 million to 6.5 million at peak times. Peak times. Thats a really low % of the 80 million. So no one believes that even close to that 80 million user base is a gamer.

49% don't have a quad CPU

and like 12% don't even have a GPU.

And everyone has a PC....lets not act like there aren't random non gamers that bought their 2 core Intel CPU with onboard grahphics from Best Buy that downloaded Steam out of curiosity.

#305 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@mikhail said:

Oh my god...Cranler is now fixated on Crossfire, the Free to Play Korean shooter that is played in internet cafes, and calling it "The PC's most popular shooter"...ignoring the fact that NO ONE in the western world plays it AT ALL, and NO ONE here has ever even heard of it. The only reason Cranler even knows it exists is because he found it on a random Google search when trying in vain to find something to refute another poster.

Master level fail right there. Classic fucking Cranler.

Ok so let me get this straight, it's ok to use global pc revenue to compare to console but we're not supposed to speak of any of the games that have huge impacts on said revenue. LOL!

And that game makes more money than Dota 2 and TF 2 combined. Crossfire has more concurrent players than Dota 2, every Counterstrike version, all the battlefields, TF 2 and all the CoD's combined.

Just one more title that helps solidify PC as the forefront of the industry ;)

#306 Edited by Dasein808 (538 posts) -
@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:

@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

Those pics perfectly illustrates why I see consoles being the driving force that's pushing games to new levels. Highest npc counts ever in an open wolrd game is a technical innovation in my book.

Sweet sourceless claim that's easily refuted by the NPC counts in the Total War series.

Try again with a source, perhaps?

Not an open world game. A barren wasteland with cannon fodder ai.

/yawn

//A geographically correct setting. Want some Shogun 2 cherry blossom shots or mountainous fortress battle shots?

Not open world and it's all carbon copy npc's. tru running that many npc's in GTA.

Did I stirke a nerve?

Wrong.

You can do whatever you like. It's completely "open world" like all strategy games.

It's a pity that you peasants don't appreciate the scale and depth of such epic titles since you play on inferior platforms incapable of supporting the series, but I can understand how the weight of so many variables could also leave a peasant mind paralyzed in the face of definitive technical superiority and depth.

Who cares about GTA and what does it have to do with the fact that consoles are "also rans" that can never hope to achieve this level of detail and scale?

#307 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1612 posts) -

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:

@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

Those pics perfectly illustrates why I see consoles being the driving force that's pushing games to new levels. Highest npc counts ever in an open wolrd game is a technical innovation in my book.

Sweet sourceless claim that's easily refuted by the NPC counts in the Total War series.

/yawn

//A geographically correct setting. Want some Shogun 2 cherry blossom shots or mountainous fortress battle shots?

Not open world and it's all carbon copy npc's. tru running that many npc's in GTA.

Wrong.

You can do whatever you like. It's completely "open world" like all strategy games. It's a pity you peasants don't appreciate the scale and depth of such epic titles since you play on inferior platforms.

Who cares about GTA and what does it have to do with the fact that consoles are inferior and can never hope to achieve this level of detail and scale?

Yu need an expensive PC to run those games like those pics.

I have an i5 760 - 12 GB RAM - and a GTX 680 and I have trouble running Shogun. While my PC isn't the best by any means....it's not a complete slouch. I have more RAM tha many ppl....and a better GPU that many.....so it's not like PC sucks.

#308 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

And like 12% are using the Intel GPU....the most commone "GPU" on Steam.....Intel HD Graphics 4000.

According to Cranler's stats, there are still FAR FAR more powerful PC's than PS4's sold atm.

In other words, more PC gamers than PS4 gamers will enjoy better gfx and its just the start of the gen, that gap will only increase as more people upgrade.

It's not even about upgrading. In just a few years - halfway through the console life cycle - bottom of the line laptops are going to be sporting GPU's and CPU's that far exceed the capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One, and for less money too. The battle was already lost before these consoles even hit the streets.

#309 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said: Go check steam. At least 70% of the gpus are weaker than ps 4's.

You realize this means there are twice as many people with better PC's than PS4's sold (24million vs 10million!)...... And thats not even counting people who don't use Steam.

Looks like PC has FAR more people playing higher settings than PS4 owners. =)

And it's just the start of the gen, imagine as people start upgrading or dirt-drit-cheap GPU's that easily beat out ps4 come out!

Cat got your tongue Cranberry?

@Cranler said:

And 90% of Steam users have a pc that's better than the average console user. The average consolite is still on last gen.

Seems like you agreed with me 2 months ago.

#310 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1612 posts) -

The PS4 just came out....of course there are more better PCs.

It's not even about the power. Major titles sell better on console and and thats where all the polish and push goes. There isn't one game, unless completely programmed like shit, that takes full effect of the power a PC can do. There are 6 core CPUs and you can have 3 high end GPUs running at one time...yet, my single last gen GTX 680 can run most games at good settings at 1080p.

You're not getting your money's worth out of a PC if you buy it for high end gaming.

Thats why buying a fairly decent console for $500 is not a bad deal. You're getting great exclusives and every game is going to be worth the asking price capability wise.

#311 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It's not even about the power. Major titles sell better on console

Dat subject change.

#312 Edited by Dasein808 (538 posts) -
@mr_huggles_dog said:

I have an i5 760 - 12 GB RAM - and a GTX 680 and I have trouble running Shogun. While my PC isn't the best by any means....it's not a complete slouch. I have more RAM tha many ppl....and a better GPU that many.....so it's not like PC sucks.

No, you need a high end 700 series GPU to run them at their highest settings.

You can still run them at midrange (> than console resolutions) using 600 series GPUs, but you're right, you won't be running them on full blast using a midrange (angry Cranler) GPU .

Thus the butthurt.

The reality is that if you already have an I5/I7 desktop, then you've likely owned it for several years, so a high end GPU is less of an investment and more of an annual 3-5 year upgrade which happens to coincide with the release of the latest console generation.

#313 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1612 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It's not even about the power. Major titles sell better on console

Dat subject change.

Ummm...I'm admitting that you're right saying that there are more high end PCs than PS4.....so I moved on.

Theres more to this that just one criteria.

#314 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

You're not getting your money's worth out of a PC if you buy it for high end gaming.

Playing almost every multiplat at ultra and 60 fps is your moneys worth. Video Gaming, better on PC. Star Citizen, Witcher 3, CyberPunk, EQNext, Elite, Dreadnaught, Fortnight, Ethan carter, UT, ... on max 60 fps? ...hell yeah.

And....More people will be doing this than the amount that own a PS4!

#315 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1612 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Playing almost every multiplat at ultra and 60 fps is your moneys worth. Video Gaming, better on PC. Star Citizen, Witcher 3, CyberPunk, EQNext, Elite, Dreadnaught, Fortnight, Ethan carter, UT, ... on max 60 fps? ...hell yeah.

Doubt that....so I need proof.

I'd like to see a stat saying how many ppl have high enough quality PCs to run TW3 and Star Citizen a the quality of all the pics that are posted here.

I seriously doubt a shit ton of ppl have that sort of PC. Again...theres something missing here. If Rockstar wanted the most cash....they would have made GTA V available to PC from the get go....but instead waited. Many devs have gone from PC to console. PC gamers aren't buying games like they do on console.

So where I'm going with this is: If publishers and devs are going to console for the money....then there apparently aren't many PC gamers buying all these games. And if there isn't....then why would it be crazy to think that there are sooooo many high end PC gamers out there...the type that have the system to run a game like TW3 and such at the highest settings.

It doesn't add up.

#316 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I'd like to see a stat saying how many ppl have high enough quality PCs to run TW3 and Star Citizen a the quality of all the pics that are posted here.

I seriously doubt a shit ton of ppl have that sort of PC. Again...theres something missing here. If Rockstar wanted the most cash....they would have made GTA V available to PC from the get go....but instead waited. Many devs have gone from PC to console. PC gamers aren't buying games like they do on console.

So where I'm going with this is: If publishers and devs are going to console for the money....then there apparently aren't many PC gamers buying all these games. And if there isn't....then why would it be crazy to think that there are sooooo many high end PC gamers out there...the type that have the system to run a game like TW3 and such at the highest settings.

It doesn't add up.

I never denied some multiplats sell better on the 3 consoles combined. Many do. Although we can't be 100% certain due to digital sales data not being released. But they sell well enough for nearly all multiplats, and some that don't even go on xbone or ps4, to reach PC!

That being said, I'm not concerned about multiplat sales. As a gamer what is important is which system has the best version. And 95%+ of the time that is PC.

I was merely saying they play better on more PC's than PS4's. Cranler's data backed this up. 30% of Steam users is more than the amount of PS4's sold, double in fact.

#317 Posted by soulitane (13664 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It doesn't add up.

The same reason I'd imagine that devs are going to PC as well, more systems means more money, fairly obvious.

#318 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

You realize this means there are twice as many people with better PC's than PS4's sold (24million vs 10million!)...... And thats not even counting people who don't use Steam.

And it's just the start of the gen, imagine as people start upgrading or dirt-drit-cheap GPU's that easily beat out ps4 come out!

Where did you get the 24 million estimate from?

Most pc gamers having weaker rigs than PS 4 doesn't mean that there aren't more high end pc owners than PS 4 owners.

#319 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -
@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:

@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

/yawn

Did I stirke a nerve?

Wrong.

You can do whatever you like. It's completely "open world" like all strategy games.

It's a pity that you peasants don't appreciate the scale and depth of such epic titles since you play on inferior platforms incapable of supporting the series, but I can understand how the weight of so many variables could also leave a peasant mind paralyzed in the face of definitive technical superiority and depth.

Who cares about GTA and what does it have to do with the fact that consoles are "also rans" that can never hope to achieve this level of detail and scale?

It's not open world. All strategy games are open world? Trolls in full force.

Peasants? How do we know you even game on pc? I think you're a consolite just like robotrip.

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

And 90% of Steam users have a pc that's better than the average console user. The average consolite is still on last gen.

Seems like you agreed with me 2 months ago.

It all flew right over your head. Those statements aren't contradictory.

Average console user still has a last gen console. Derp!

Whats really bad is that you even quoted my explanation that most console users are still on last gen hardware and you still didn't understand. LMFAO!

PS 4 owners have better hardware than majority of pc gamers.

#320 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Most pc gamers having weaker rigs than PS 4 doesn't mean that there aren't more high end pc owners than PS 4 owners.

1. Not all of those are PC gamers.

2. I know. I'm just saying its good to know there are more high-end PC's than PS4's. Far more. It means far more people will enjoy the better version of games.

#321 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

1. Not all of those are PC gamers.

2. I don't care, as long as there are far more stronger than PS4-PC's than actual PS4s sold, it's all that matters.

If you game on a pc then you're a pc gamer.

Well lets see sales stats on PS 4 superior gpu's.

#322 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

I'm using your steam survey data.

Also, here at SW we discuss gaming PCs. Not grandmas e-machine. That should be a given considering it is a gaming forum. Not that it matters, there are more high end pcs than ps4s.

#323 Posted by KittenNose (585 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Ugg, I will get in my one reply.

Dude, you are no good at this.The overwhelming majority of console gamers have consoles weaker then a PS4. The PS3, the 360/1, and the Wii/WiiU all individually have install bases that dwarf the PS4. Heck the Wii couldn't even play netflix in HD, and there are still more of those hanging out then the PS4, and that won't change for another year or two at least. Combined? the PS4 is owned by an extreme minority.

On the other hand: No consoles gamers have a console more powerful then a PS4, but millions of PC gamers have a more powerful rig then any console. Your moving the goalpost like crazy,and every time your argument just gets worse. Look, everyone here knows you are a troll. This is essentially a troll forum, so that isn't a surprise. The reason people are so negative about your posts is that they are so poorly thought out.

Step up your game please. Pretty please.

#324 Edited by highking_kallor (535 posts) -

@lordlors said:

The main reason why Japan has become irrelevant today is because they are not into PC gaming. These are what they lacked by ditching the PC platform.

1. Game Engines - In Japan, the use of engines like Unreal, Unity, etc. is fairly recent. What they usually do is create a game engine for every game. As technology advanced, using game engines like Unreal and Unity has become more cost efficient. But as they turn to these engines, they are already very behind in the technological know-how as the West have been using these for a long time and they aren't adept at English.

2. Mods and map editors - These tools are the hallmarks of PC gaming. It is how MOBA was born and so is Counter Strike. The Japanese aren't exposed to these tools because they do not game on PC hence their lack of knowledge of using such tools. And without these freely available tools, there's no creation of content. Again, the inability to understand English is going to make it harder for them without any attempt of localization.

3. Digital Distribution - It is because of this format that indie games became widespread and with it the desire to create games independently. In Japan, DD is unpopular. They are stuck in the past with the traditional publisher-developer relationship. Indie games from the West have to be published over there. Strange, considering the very definition of indie is being independent (lack of publisher).

So you see? It is PC gaming that is at the forefront of the industry. It is where the ripples of change start. Consoles this gen are just PC wannabees.

Got something to prove kid?

#325 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Dasein808 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

No, you need a high end 700 series GPU to run them at their highest settings.

You can still run them at midrange (> than console resolutions) using 600 series GPUs, but you're right, you won't be running them on full blast using a midrange (angry Cranler) GPU .

Thus the butthurt.

The reality is that if you already have an I5/I7 desktop, then you've likely owned it for several years, so a high end GPU is less of an investment and more of an annual 3-5 year upgrade which happens to coincide with the release of the latest console generation.

Lol. According to Dasein the only high end Nvidia gpu's are the 780 and 770. All the others are mid or low range.

According to dasein the majority of steam users have a low end gpu. The GTX 580 is a low end gpu by daseins standards lol.

@RoboCopISJesus said:

I'm using your steam survey data.

Also, here at SW we discuss gaming PCs. Not grandmas e-machine. That should be a given considering it is a gaming forum. Not that it matters, there are more high end pcs than ps4s.

Robotrip moves the goalposts into the nosebleeds with this post.

Grandmas e-machine counts when hermits want to make revenue comparisons but they don't count when we want to compare hardware power.

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Ugg, I will get in my one reply.

Dude, you are no good at this.The overwhelming majority of console gamers have consoles weaker then a PS4. The PS3, the 360/1, and the Wii/WiiU all individually have install bases that dwarf the PS4. Heck the Wii couldn't even play netflix in HD, and there are still more of those hanging out then the PS4, and that won't change for another year or two at least. Combined? the PS4 is owned by an extreme minority.

On the other hand: No consoles gamers have a console more powerful then a PS4, but millions of PC gamers have a more powerful rig then any console. Your moving the goalpost like crazy,and every time your argument just gets worse. Look, everyone here knows you are a troll. This is essentially a troll forum, so that isn't a surprise. The reason people are so negative about your posts is that they are so poorly thought out.

Step up your game please. Pretty please.

Wow dude. I guess you missed Robo's big fumble post where he quoted me saying that most steam users have better hardware than most consolites?

Maybe you need to reread what your replying to because you didn't get it.

Let me simplify. Analysts estimate that there are as many as 1 billion pc gamers. If 11 million have PS 4 superior rigs that still means that the majority of pc gamers have rigs weaker than PS 4. Don't see why you had so much trouble understanding that.

Give me your gpu sales stats to back your claims though

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1318-games-industry-revenue-and-genre-popularity

#326 Posted by funsohng (28630 posts) -

I don't understand people saying "oh but most people don't have gaming PC, so it doesn't count." Doesn't make the game worse looking on PC.

It's pretty funny console people care more about other people's PC spec than people with gaming PC. The irony.

#327 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@funsohng said:

I don't understand people saying "oh but most people don't have gaming PC, so it doesn't count." Doesn't make the game worse looking on PC.

It's pretty funny console people care more about other people's PC spec than people with gaming PC. The irony.

What's really funny is I mainly game on pc while dasein, robotrip and krelian have all refused to prove they're pc gamers. Robos alt Jankarcorp admitted to not being a pc gamer.

#328 Posted by funsohng (28630 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@funsohng said:

What's really funny is I mainly game on pc while dasein, robotrip and krelian have all refused to prove they're pc gamers. Robos alt Jankarcorp admitted to not being a pc gamer.

I have no idea who they are or who you are in that matter.

#329 Posted by WallofTruth (1826 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

1. Those games will also have FAR more players than Destiny, so judging from that, Destiny won't be all that popular in comparison as well.

2. Most cutting-edge games don't have the replayabily that games like LoL, Dota2, WoW etc offer. Your cutting-edge doesn't mean a damn thing, look at Killzone Shadow Fall, it's cutting-edge but barely anyone plays it. Good gameplay is way more important than good graphics. This also proves that most PC gamers aren't graphic whores.

3. LoL has also more players than all the cutting-edge games on consoles, so what's your point?

1. Destiny will have more players than all those games you listed combined

2. It proves most pc gamers rigs are way behind consoles capabilities

3. The so called master race spends most of it's time playing games that the 360 could easily play

Console gaming is driving technical innovation in gaming and the only reason pc has more revenue is because China banned consoles for 14 years

1. Destiny will have less players than those games you mentioned.

2. Not according to the Steam survey.

3. Not according to your list of most popular PC games, good luck playing LoL and Dota2 on a Xbox 360 lol.

4. That's an assumption, not a fact.

1. Destiny has the highest preorders of any new ip. Analysts predict 10-15 million sales of Destiny.

2. Majority of steam users have a gpu below the PS 4's capability and you also need to prove that all pc gamers are on steam

3. LoL's req's are far below any multiplat of the last 5 years. Dota's min req is 8600 gt.

4. Pc gamings biggest region is Asia of which China is the dominant country

1. What analysts predict doesn't mean anything and even if it comes true, alone Dota2 has already over 25 million players, so like I said, it won't have more players than the games YOU mentioned.

2. Why would all PC gamers be on Steam? Apparently there are up to a billion people who play on PC and only around 80 million active Steam accounts. Do the math.

3. And yet you couldn't play LoL or Dota2 on a 360 like you claimed. You'd have to change the whole whole game to get it playable.

4. Source?

#330 Posted by WallofTruth (1826 posts) -
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Oh shit, 5.43% of 80+ million active Steam accounts use a laptop, damn. Also according to that same survey you posted over 20 million people have a stronger PC than the PS4 and don't forget that over 150 million gamers still play on 8 year old PS3 and 360 hardware.

#331 Edited by Jag85 (4934 posts) -
@funsohng said:

lol. I'm assuming you are basing this off from Steins;poop? When Japanese make a game story that is even as remotely deep as Spec Ops: The Line, I will consider it "good". Most of the so-called visual novel "games" you refer to are either cliched rom-coms or pretentious bullsh*t that are either ruined by the anime caricature characters (i.e. nitro+ games) or just not good enough to begin with (i.e. fs/n). Sure, Western games don't have good stories, but really, not many games in general actually have good stories anyway. And Western RPG makers are far better at creating a cohesive, interesting and often socially relevant lore.

And I do see the high tier games. With the exception of Capcom, Level 5 and Nintendo, most of Japanese games I see are heavily marketed towards otakus. That's how Musou series got bigger, that's how Falcom games became more popular.

You say WoW is worse than Korean MMOs? Then tell me, why does every single Korean MMO fans I know tell me that all Korean MMOs do are rehash of WoW and a hint of Lineage? Why is it that the gamers in Korea still complain about post-WoW Korean MMOs being inferior than WoW? You would probably not know because you are not from Korea, let alone East Asia.

"lol" indeed... If Spec Ops: The Line is the best example of Western game storytelling you can come up with, then Steins Gate "poops" all over it. Spec Ops: The Line has a decent story, but it's just a poor man's MGS2, which went far deeper with the same themes than The Line ever did. Most Western games have shallow stories that are either poorly-written or ruined by Hollywood caricature characters. As for Western RPG's, "socially relevant"? Yeah, right. If you want to talk about "socially relevant", then the Metal Gear series easily trumps them. Yeah, I know you hate "pretentious bullsh*t", so it's best you just stick to shallow Western game stories if you don't want anything deeper than an elementary-school level plot.

I'm talking about the most popular games in Japan, not "most of Japanese games" you see. Here are the top 10 best-selling games in Japan last year. Do you see any "Otaku" games on the list? Even Grand Theft Auto V outsold every Otaku game released in Japan last year. Otaku culture is barely anymore mainstream in Japan than comic-book nerd culture is in the Western world.

And yes, WOW is worse than Korean MMO's, from my own experience. The combat system in WOW is terrible, and the gameplay is outdated (though good for its time). I used to love WOW many years ago, but it's pretty hard to go back to it after playing newer Korean MMO's. And if Korean MMO's are so unpopular in their own backyards, then why has WOW lost most of its Asian user base? Clearly because they've moved on to better MMO's. And for the record, I've also known Koreans who dislike their own local Korean games. But that doesn't somehow make them representative of all Korean gamers. Just like how I generally prefer Japanese games over local British games, it shouldn't be surprising that many gamers in America, Europe or Asia might also prefer foreign games over local ones.

#332 Edited by WallofTruth (1826 posts) -

@mikhail said:

This is how a typical argument with Cranler goes:

Gamespotter: The PC has more exclusives than Xbox One.

Cranler: Xbox One isn't a system, all consoles combined are a system.

Gamespotter: OK, that's wrong and no one agrees with you, but fine. PC still has more exclusives than all consoles combined.

Cranler: Madden sells millions of copies every year though, it's worth 50 indie PC games! All those games you listed don't even count.

Gamespotter: What? We're not even talking about Madden...we're talking about number of exclusives.

Cranler: Doesn't matter, when the 360 launched it was more powerful than any PC and you needed to spend $2000 to even match it. Consoles are at the forefront of the industry, this proves it.

Gamespotter: Uhh...we're in 2014, not 2006. What are you even talking about?

Cranler: Console has more characters on scree in open world games than any PC game!

Gamespotter: We're talking about exclusives...what? I don't even...

Cranler: Prove me wrong. You can't.

Gamespotter: ...

Cranler: Look at this random screenshot of a game I found on the web that I've never even heard of before. This proves that most PC gamers play old games that look like they're from 1999!

Gamespotter: *Gets out revolver, cocks it, points it at self*

But please, next time point the revolver at Cranler, you'd do us all a favor.

#333 Posted by funsohng (28630 posts) -

@Jag85: MGS2 and better story in a same bloody sentence?

Are you serious? F*ck this place I'm out of here

#334 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

1. Those games will also have FAR more players than Destiny, so judging from that, Destiny won't be all that popular in comparison as well.

2. Most cutting-edge games don't have the replayabily that games like LoL, Dota2, WoW etc offer. Your cutting-edge doesn't mean a damn thing, look at Killzone Shadow Fall, it's cutting-edge but barely anyone plays it. Good gameplay is way more important than good graphics. This also proves that most PC gamers aren't graphic whores.

3. LoL has also more players than all the cutting-edge games on consoles, so what's your point?

1. Destiny will have more players than all those games you listed combined

2. It proves most pc gamers rigs are way behind consoles capabilities

3. The so called master race spends most of it's time playing games that the 360 could easily play

Console gaming is driving technical innovation in gaming and the only reason pc has more revenue is because China banned consoles for 14 years

3. Not according to your list of most popular PC games, good luck playing LoL and Dota2 on a Xbox 360 lol.

1. Destiny has the highest preorders of any new ip. Analysts predict 10-15 million sales of Destiny.

2. Majority of steam users have a gpu below the PS 4's capability and you also need to prove that all pc gamers are on steam

3. LoL's req's are far below any multiplat of the last 5 years. Dota's min req is 8600 gt.

1. What analysts predict doesn't mean anything and even if it comes true, alone Dota2 has already over 25 million players, so like I said, it won't have more players than the games YOU mentioned.

2. Why would all PC gamers be on Steam? Apparently there are up to a billion people who play on PC and only around 80 million active Steam accounts. Do the math.

3. And yet you couldn't play LoL or Dota2 on a 360 like you claimed. You'd have to change the whole whole game to get it playable.

4. Source?

1. There's 550k people playing Dota 2 now. That 25 million stat has a lot to do with people not even that interested in the genre trying it out since it's free.

2. You're the one who spoke as if all pc gamers are on steam

3. The 360 has the power to run those games and the right stick could be used as a mouse. Both games are playable on pc using only the mouse.

4. I thought this was common knowledge. http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1318-games-industry-revenue-and-genre-popularity

#335 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@walloftruth said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Oh shit, 5.43% of 80+ million active Steam accounts use a laptop, damn. Also according to that same survey you posted over 20 million people have a stronger PC than the PS4 and don't forget that over 150 million gamers still play on 8 year old PS3 and 360 hardware.

How are you arriving at 20 million? Are you factoring percentages with steams total player base?

I believe those with killer rigs are more likely to do the survey thus skewing the results

I'm afraid you're gonna need to provide amd and nvidia sales data to be sure that we have an accurate count. Actually, even then you can't get an accurate count since many of those gpu's owners could be buying 2 or more gpu's for one rig.

#336 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@mikhail said:

Gamespotter: OK, that's wrong and no one agrees with you, but fine. PC still has more exclusives than all consoles combined.

Cranler: Madden sells millions of copies every year though, it's worth 50 indie PC games! All those games you listed don't even count.

Gamespotter: What? We're not even talking about Madden...we're talking about number of exclusives.

Cranler: Doesn't matter, when the 360 launched it was more powerful than any PC and you needed to spend $2000 to even match it. Consoles are at the forefront of the industry, this proves it.

Cranler: Console has more characters on scree in open world games than any PC game!

Cranler: Look at this random screenshot of a game I found on the web that I've never even heard of before. This proves that most PC gamers play old games that look like they're from 1999!

#337 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@walloftruth said:

@mikhail said:

I guess when you can't find a counterpoint it's time to resort to insults.

#338 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

Shutup Cranberry.

#339 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Shutup Cranberry.

Still butthurt after getting owned in this thread I see.

#340 Edited by naz99 (1632 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Oh my god ,all you guys do is just go round in circles again and again..now we are back onto steam stats which are flawed and incorrect as has been proven time and time again.

Should i even waste my time explaining why as people have gone through it time and time again.

Not only can the list be outdated by years,every Cpu with integrated graphics are counted even if you are using a seprate graphics card you idiot,this is common knowledge, if my current computer was part of the steam stats which it is not (it still has my specs from 5 years ago,Dat reliable source right?) it would say i am running a 4790k with an integrated hd4600 which is actually unused as i am running 1, 280X and 1, 7970ghz, so yeah flawed incorrect and wrong so your stats mean nothing.

So are we going to sit here again and watch you guys flog a dead horse and go through stuff that has been disproved again and again...*yawn*

Steam stats have been and will always be unreliable for many many reasons and i just posted one and that alone is a big spanner in the works.

And the blindingly obvious fact that steam is not the whole of pc gaming and a massive number do not even take part in the survey.

#341 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@Cranler said:

lol:

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

This means there are over twice as many as high end PCs than PS4s!

@Cranler said:

#342 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

lol:

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

This means there are over twice as many as high end PCs than PS4s!

@Cranler said:

Wow dude! You still don't get how those two statements of mine aren't contradictory?

Let me simplify. Analysts estimate that there are as many as 1 billion pc gamers. If 11 million have PS 4 superior rigs that still means that the majority of pc gamers have rigs weaker than PS 4. Don't see why you had so much trouble understanding that.

You make claims but don't back them up. I rechecked steam survey and actually I counted just 7% of the gpu's being better than PS 4's.

How are you arriving at twice as many? And when did I say that there were more PS 4's than PS 4 superior rigs?

Steam surveys aren't accurate of steam users let alone the entirety of pc gaming.

I'm afraid you're gonna need to provide amd and nvidia sales data to be sure that we have an accurate count. Actually, even then you can't get an accurate count since many of those gpu's owners could be buying 2 or more gpu's for one rig.

#343 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Steam surveys aren't accurate of steam users let alone the entirety of pc gaming.

Then why do you keep using them....You got caught using stupid data now you are blaming it on us.

Holy fuck this HAS to be a troll...

When he uses steam survey data its a fact (and he brings them up irst). But when we use it its not accurate and we have to provide nvidia/ati links...

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@walloftruth said:
@mikhail said:

#344 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

Then why do you keep using them....You got caught using stupid data now you are blaming it on us.

Holy fuck this HAS to be a troll...

When he uses steam survey data its a fact (and he brings them up irst). But when we use it its not accurate and we have to provide nvidia/ati links...

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@walloftruth said:
@mikhail said:

I went along with the steam survey after wall of truth brought it up. After having time to reflect I came to the conclusion that those with killer rigs are more likely to participate thus skewing the results.

#345 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@Cranler said:After having time to reflect I came to the conclusion that those with killer rigs are more likely to participate thus skewing the results.

I came to the conclusion,

I think,

I believe,

Cranler posts in a nut shell after every 30-40 posts of several people destroying him in a arguement.

#346 Posted by WallofTruth (1826 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

How are you arriving at 20 million? Are you factoring percentages with steams total player base?

I believe those with killer rigs are more likely to do the survey thus skewing the results

Well if we can't have an accurate count then you can't know that there are more PS4 users than high-end PC users, thus proving that huggles and you have no source to back up your claims.

#347 Posted by xxyetixx (1299 posts) -

Dude real PC gamers are a very small majority. PC is doing well because Free 2 play games, and Zynga.

Is solitaire still the most played PC game ever?!?

#348 Posted by WallofTruth (1826 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

@Cranler said:

@walloftruth said:

4. Source?

1. There's 550k people playing Dota 2 now. That 25 million stat has a lot to do with people not even that interested in the genre trying it out since it's free.

2. You're the one who spoke as if all pc gamers are on steam

3. The 360 has the power to run those games and the right stick could be used as a mouse. Both games are playable on pc using only the mouse.

4. I thought this was common knowledge. http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1318-games-industry-revenue-and-genre-popularity

1. The same goes for Destiny too.

2. When did I do that? Quote me.

3. It's not playable with only a mouse if you have no chance against someone who uses m/kb. Also, start up LoL and use a 360 gamepads right thumb stick to play a match, let's see how much fun that is.

4. What makes you think that Asia would make such a big difference? N.America has almost 2x more PC gamers than console gamers, Europe has 3x more PC gamers than console gamers, "Others" has around 10x more PC gamers than console gamers and Asia has around 40x more PC gamers than console gamers and like the article states, almost every console gamer also plays on PC, so that means that even if consoles get fully allowed in China, it might only be a small increase in console revenue.

#349 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1574 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

Dude real PC gamers are a very small majority. PC is doing well because Free 2 play games, and Zynga.

Is solitaire still the most played PC game ever?!?

Whats wrong with F2P? They have multi-million tournaments dwarfing anything on consoles and very high skill-caps.

At least its not madden, cod, and movie-games. Define "real PC gamer".

#350 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1612 posts) -

@walloftruth said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Where are you getting 5%?

It clearly shows that nearly 50% of the ppl don't even have a quad core CPU and 12% don't even own a GPU.....I don't know the gneration number associated with ATI....but only less than 5% of the ppl have a 700 series Nvidia GPU.

That series will be REQUIRED for running TW3 and Star Citizen at all those pics that ppl post.....maybe...a GTX 680.