Why Nintendo does not need to make more new IPs

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by lordlors (5575 posts) -

A lot of people here always scream and demand new IPs at Nintendo while spouting rehash nonsense.

Let's take a look at what Nintendo is good at. Platformers, action adventure, mini-games, strategy, and RPG. Now tell me why does Nintendo need to make another platformer and just change the protagonist, characters,etc.? Why does Nintendo need to make another action adventure game with a focus on puzzles and dungeons?

To make new game mechanics? To make it fresh? Have you played A Link Between Worlds? The Galaxy series? Nintendo always makes new game ideas and put them into their franchises. There are changes in their franchises. Sometimes it takes time sometimes it doesn't. There is no need to make a new universe and new characters. Not only are they risking their money for something a lot of people aren't familiar with, a new IP does not automatically equal to something new. It may just be a new coat of paint. Also, remember Sonic's forgettable characters?

What people here really want from Nintendo aren't new IPs. What they really want is for Nintendo to make games they aren't good at or games other companies make. Skyrim-like Zelda? shooters? A TLoU-like game?

Before you do that, ask yourself, do people demand a WRPG from Valve, a Mario/Rayman inspired platformer from Bethesda, or a visual novel from Blizzard? lol Not even the mighty Blizzard managed to release a shooter game (cancelled Starcraft Ghost). The fact that one company alone makes a lot of great games in a lot of genres is already a great feat.

#2 Edited by farrell2k (5722 posts) -

Every company needs to make new IPs.

#3 Posted by lordlors (5575 posts) -

Nintendo is making new IPs. I'm just saying they don't need to make "more".

#4 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (490 posts) -

StarFox and F-Zero need to make a comeback, just to name two. Glad Pikimin made a return, because its still fresh.

They're still slowly adding more IPs though. People just love to pick on something.

Speaking of wornout brain dead IPS. COD screams to mind, even though Mario is bullied on more. Good Ex. is Mario Kart. Theres not even 8 of them yet, and the first one came out 20 years ago. While we have 10 COD games in the last 10 years lol

#5 Edited by mems_1224 (46259 posts) -

Because they are Gods among ants compared to Sony and MS. They can do whatever they want.

#7 Posted by MirkoS77 (7018 posts) -

Right. Why do new movies need to be created? They should just all take place in the same universe with the same characters. Brilliant.

#8 Posted by mems_1224 (46259 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Because they are Gods among ants compared to Sony and MS. They can do whatever they want.

No one takes a Texans fan serious.

lol nathandrakeswagpost lol

#9 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@mems_1224 said:

I'd be mad too if my team was 2-12 LMAO

#10 Posted by mems_1224 (46259 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@mems_1224 said:

I'd be mad too if my team was 2-12 LMAO

k

#11 Posted by Netret0120 (2001 posts) -

NathanDrakeSwag has returned....

#12 Posted by mems_1224 (46259 posts) -

NathanDrakeSwag has returned....

Just in time to spread his butthurt across the board after a 3DS game owned Sony.

#13 Edited by Ghost120x (3691 posts) -

True.

In fact, Nintendo have several Ip's to dig from the grave if they want to, like they did with kid Icarus. They are simply waiting for the right time and place.

I would love to see a new 3d earthbound game. Or perhaps starfox on the Wii U and Rob could be on the gamepad saying "sending supplies"

#14 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

landlors, for many cases, I agree with you, but this just isn't it. New IP's are needed for every company, Nintendo is no exception. The bigger problem on the matter is the fact that Mario/Zelda/Pokemon still exist and as long as those exist, any new IP gets overlooked, making the only possibility for any new IP to get noticed if those three franchises died (and considering what Metroid/Star Fox/F-Zero fans are going through, would cause quite the s***storm.).

#15 Edited by wiifan001 (18355 posts) -

Nintendo has a more IPs than any other company in the gaming industry.

Also, a lot of the games within a franchise are so different that they would otherwise be IPs without the characters. Look at Kirby's Epic Yarn: you could change the characters and soundtrack with generic characters not already seen in the Kirby universe, and remove the Kirby tracks (which would still leave plenty of tracks), there's no hint it's a Kirby, but rather a new IP. So change the characters and soundtrack in Kirby's Epic Yarn, and there's your new IP

#16 Posted by farrell2k (5722 posts) -

@lordlors said:

@farrell2k said:

If they are making new IPs, they are already making "more" IPs. :)

#17 Posted by wasted_wlsdom (147 posts) -

Well holy shit if it isn't Nathan drakeswag.

This.place is resurrecting after all

#18 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

Nintendo has a more IPs than any other company in the gaming industry.

Also, a lot of the games within a franchise are so different that they would otherwise be IPs without the characters. Look at Kirby's Epic Yarn: you could change the characters and soundtrack with generic characters not already seen in the Kirby universe, and remove the Kirby tracks (which would still leave plenty of tracks), there's no hint it's a Kirby, but rather a new IP. So change the characters and soundtrack in Kirby's Epic Yarn, and there's your new IP

Another case on the matter. Star Fox Adventures (formerly Dinosaur Planet).

#19 Edited by Wild_man_22 (574 posts) -

They need to give zelda and mario a break. I dont have a problem with things like spin off games but nintendo since 2009 has released a mainline. zelda

or mario title every year.

They need a break, nintendo has to stop using mario as a crutch. Take some of those great mario ideas you have, expand and make new games or revive old series with them.

#20 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

They need to give zelda and mario a break. I dont have a problem with things like spin off games but nintendo since 2009 has released a mainline. zelda

They need a break, nintendo has to stop using mario as a crutch. Take some of those great mario ideas you have, expand and make new games or revive old series with them.

But before ALBW, there hasn't been a new Zelda in two years. Lord knows how long Zelda Wii U is going to take. Besides, as long as Zelda games are still being bought and requested by fans, there's no stopping it.

#21 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

Hope IP is trolling. Nintendo sorely needs a new IP. It cant keep depending on childhood memories.

#22 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24623 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Hope IP is trolling. Nintendo sorely needs a new IP. It cant keep depending on childhood memories.

Well Nintendo has been bringing out New IPs. They're just not as Iconic as Mario or Zelda.

#23 Edited by wiifan001 (18355 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Wild_man_22 said:

But before ALBW, there hasn't been a new Zelda in two years. Lord knows how long Zelda Wii U is going to take. Besides, as long as Zelda games are still being bought and requested by fans, there's no stopping it.

Considering there's been 13 new Zelda games since 1998 (seriously, 13), maybe it's time for a stretch of a 3-4 year break

#24 Edited by _Matt_ (8840 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Wild_man_22 said:

Considering there's been 13 new Zelda games since 1998 (seriously, 13), maybe it's time for a stretch of a 3-4 year break

You don't want to try counting the number of Mario games since 1998. Trust me, I tried it once, the number was astounding. Even splitting it into 3D and 2D Mario like Sheep always cry, the number was still incredible for both.

#25 Posted by _Matt_ (8840 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Well Nintendo has been bringing out New IPs. They're just not as Iconic as Mario or Zelda.

Maybe Mario and Zelda just need to go on holiday for a few years then, allow new IPs to get some attention and their own following, and to build up, then reintroduce Mario and Zelda when the new IPs are properly established.

#26 Posted by lordlors (5575 posts) -

landlors, for many cases, I agree with you, but this just isn't it. New IP's are needed for every company, Nintendo is no exception. The bigger problem on the matter is the fact that Mario/Zelda/Pokemon still exist and as long as those exist, any new IP gets overlooked, making the only possibility for any new IP to get noticed if those three franchises died (and considering what Metroid/Star Fox/F-Zero fans are going through, would cause quite the s***storm.).

You don't get my point. The importance is not in the IP but the creation and implementation of new ideas and new game mechanics and as far as that is concerned, Nintendo does these things. If you were here back when SMG 1 was deemed GOTY by GS, they said that you could swap all the characters in the game and it would still be the same very awesome game and will be considered a new IP. There's your new IP. In that sense, the IP is just a coat of paint. The inside is what matters. If that was not the case, Mario/Zelda/Pokemon wouldn't have still existed today.

If they put new ideas and new game mechanics into a new IP, they will have to create a new game world, a new story, and a new set of characters. Another boy who saves a princess? Just with a different character? No. This tells me Nintendo prioritizes new ideas and new game mechanics over anything else. Besides, Nintendo has a lot of IPs to choose from that has not seen the light of day for ages.

#27 Posted by jg4xchamp (47079 posts) -

I love how it's not possible for Nintendo to make games out of their comfort zone according to their fanbase. Because some how this mystical theory that "all of nintendos sequels are different from each other" is some how true, when reality says other ways. smh.

Nintendo doesn't "need" to do a lot of things given how much money they make. But a lot of people would like that company to finally get out of their comfort zone and stop playing it safe. I know Nintendo apologists can't ever handle a thought like that, but for a normal person that's not a crazy mindset. They are an exceptional company with outstanding talent and resources. Having all that and being used only on more of the same is disappointing. The best things they've recently done themselves is fund a Platinum game, and buy Monolith to add a new franchise under their umbrella. Otherwise their own studios keep making the stuff they always make Mario-Zelda-Metroid-DK-Smash-Kirby-etc.

#28 Posted by lordlors (5575 posts) -

I love how it's not possible for Nintendo to make games out of their comfort zone according to their fanbase. Because some how this mystical theory that "all of nintendos sequels are different from each other" is some how true, when reality says other ways. smh.

Nintendo doesn't "need" to do a lot of things given how much money they make. But a lot of people would like that company to finally get out of their comfort zone and stop playing it safe. I know Nintendo apologists can't ever handle a thought like that, but for a normal person that's not a crazy mindset. They are an exceptional company with outstanding talent and resources. Having all that and being used only on more of the same is disappointing. The best things they've recently done themselves is fund a Platinum game, and buy Monolith to add a new franchise under their umbrella. Otherwise their own studios keep making the stuff they always make Mario-Zelda-Metroid-DK-Smash-Kirby-etc.

I love how people demand Nintendo to get out of their comfort zone and yet they don't do this on other companies like Valve and Blizzard. Blizzard always sticks to what it's good at. Valve well we're still waiting for Episode 3. You don't see other companies having ventured to a lot of genres as Nintendo had. Your assumption that "all" of nintendo's sequels are different from each other is a petty statement. It's definitely not true. Using the word "all" always leads to stupidity. Of course not all. Why must this always be said... It's still a fact as proven by A Link Between Worlds that Nintendo is making new ideas and new game mechanics though and that is what's important, not IPs.

#29 Posted by cooolio (436 posts) -

I just want them to do something different form what they usually do. They may appeal to a wider audience and refine and improve mechanics, but there is nothing wrong with doing something new or going back to other franchise besides mario and zelda or doing things besides platformers. Nobody wants them to do TLOU like game or Skyrim Zelda. To think that is to view that as all people like

Honestly, i wish that i had the money so that I could enjoy mario again, or kirby, zelda, and donkey kong. The last real mario game i played was the super mario 64 remake on ds. I never really got to enjoy banjo and kazooie. I have never played a donkey kong game. My only nintendo consoles were are the gamecube and Nintendo 64 and i only played 3 games on the 64 and owned 1.

I wish i could enjoy platformers a lot more, but at the same time, games need to evolve or take genres beyond the traditional way that they are done.

#30 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24623 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

That Nintendo.

Always releasing the same franchises that fans and the like beg for.

seriously, no one asked for Chibi-Robo, yet we're getting it. This is freakin' Risky since this was probably one of the Nichiest Franchise Nintendo has ever produced.

But that Nintendo, Always in their Comfort Zone. Never Taking Risks that's our Nintendo!

#31 Edited by Sushiglutton (5211 posts) -

Fair point, Nintendo don't like to create new IPs in genres in which they allready have one. That being said I would love to see what they could do with a mature game, something like the Witcher in tone, in combination with their outstanding ability to shower the game with fantastic gameplay mechanics. I feel like they could completely school R* and Ubisoft if they just went for it.

#32 Posted by jg4xchamp (47079 posts) -

@lordlors said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I love how people demand Nintendo to get out of their comfort zone and yet they don't do this on other companies like Valve and Blizzard. Blizzard always sticks to what it's good at. Valve well we're still waiting for Episode 3. You don't see other companies having ventured to a lot of genres as Nintendo had. Your assumption that "all" of nintendo's sequels are different from each other is a petty statement. It's definitely not true. Using the word "all" always leads to stupidity. Of course not all. Why must this always be said... It's still a fact as proven by A Link Between Worlds that Nintendo is making new ideas and new game mechanics though and that is what's important, not IPs.

I do it with everyone. Valve has been out of their comfort zone for the majority of this generation. Post Half Life 2 they've made a coop shooter, a class based competitive shooter, a puzzle game, and a Moba. TF2, L4D, Portal, and Dota 2 aren't exactly building on what Half Life 2 did. And no Link Between Worlds is not some fact. I would argue it's not that different from many Zelda games. It rids itself the baggage of recent Zelda games(boring fetch quests, long ass tutorials, and what have you) while pitching some "you can do the dungeons out of order" stuff with a rental system .But the fundamental game is still Zelda. Dungeons are still one item centric puzzles, and the combat of a 2D zelda hasn't changed much since LTTP/Link's Awakening beyond sword reach. Very good game. Very well made game.

But being the first Zelda game in a long time that's paced very well, doesn't make it an exceptionally different Zelda game. A mechanic here and there is a little unimpressive given the talent at that company.

So yes I am sticking to my narrative that Nintendo plays it safe. And I am going to stick to Nintendo should do something different. Something that isn't tied to a franchise. Even if it's in a genre they have a big franchise in(sans Platformer, given the nature of those games).

Also the strawman logic of "well no one says it about companies" is a fallacy of its own. One it's doing the absolute thing you don't like doing. Two; you can easily have people that say those other companies play it too safe AND Nintendo plays it too safe. Which is where I'm at. Next

#33 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2686 posts) -

The problem for nintendo is they have no 3rd party support. Unless nintendo makes say a western type rpg or a sandbox game for example chances are it will never get done.

#34 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24623 posts) -

The problem for nintendo is they have no 3rd party support. Unless nintendo makes say a western type rpg or a sandbox game for example chances are it will never get done.

Probably not even that will have 3rd Parties jumping on Nintendo's lap.

I don't know why 3rd Parties out right refuse to support Nintendo products. They never give out a clear reason.

#35 Posted by jg4xchamp (47079 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

That Nintendo.

Always releasing the same franchises that fans and the like beg for.

seriously, no one asked for Chibi-Robo, yet we're getting it. This is freakin' Risky since this was probably one of the Nichiest Franchise Nintendo has ever produced.

But that Nintendo, Always in their Comfort Zone. Never Taking Risks that's our Nintendo!

Cool they did one small 3DS game for a niche franchise they had in Japan. Now can they do more than that one please.

#36 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

@lordlors said:

Why Nintendo does not need to make more new IPs

Wii U sells disagree with you.

#37 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@lordlors said:

@farrell2k said:

What new IPs? Wii music? Steel diver?

#38 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7102 posts) -

Some people will never be satisfied no matter what Nintendo does. If they make a new IP, people will complain "Where's the next entry in *less popular established franchise*? Nintendo should be focusing on that!", if not simply ignore that it was ever released. If Nintendo creates the next entry in one of their main franchises, people whine about "rehashing". New IPs are important, and Nintendo DOES make new IPs - Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and Wii *whatever* being among those created last gen. Those who think NIntendo doesn't do or try anything different aren't looking hard enough.

#39 Edited by xWoW_Rougex (2750 posts) -

I just want them to start introducing some more storytelling and events in their franchises. Look at Galaxy. It's like a 5 minute intro with "DERP THERE AWS A GALAXY... THEN PRINCESS GETS KIDNAPPED UHOW :( ". Now look at Ratchet & Clank, with all its story and all the crazy cutscenes and stuff.

Now look at the sidescrollers such as Super Smash Bros version.10582757. Now look at Puppeteer, which features friggin' epic scenes considering it's a sidescroller. Great cutscenes, and there's loads of events happening when playing and there's constant conversations made by the narrator and the side kick. This is how I want the Nintendo franchises to be.

In fact let's do this with videos, this is how I want my Nintendo franchises to be:

http://youtu.be/RYHbE3vdwWs?t=14m46s

NOT like this:

http://youtu.be/_HmCkexlmLE

Look at it, great gameplay sure but in my opinion, this is not enough 2013.

#40 Edited by AzatiS (7155 posts) -

@lordlors:

Why Nintendo does not need to make more consoles is the big question here...

#41 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Some people will never be satisfied no matter what Nintendo does. If they make a new IP, people will complain "Where's the next entry in *less popular established franchise*? Nintendo should be focusing on that!", if not simply ignore that it was ever released. If Nintendo creates the next entry in one of their main franchises, people whine about "rehashing". New IPs are important, and Nintendo DOES make new IPs - Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and Wii *whatever* being among those created last gen. Those who think NIntendo doesn't do or try anything different aren't looking hard enough.

Xenoblades was made by monolith soft. Nintendo just published it.

Pandoras tower was made by ganbarion. Nintendo just published it.

Not sure what a "wii whatever" game is though.

#42 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2686 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

I don't know why 3rd Parties out right refuse to support Nintendo products. They never give out a clear reason.

The only reason 3rd parties won't support nintendo is they don't make money. Nintendo makes their consoles for their devs, Nintendo also has crappy storage and online support. Nintendo also has a much weaker platform with a weird gamepad.The way games are now it's almost impossible to port games to their platform and make money.

Many games have a hard drive install and use patches. DLC is also part of the way devs make money. The wii u has a disc and that is pretty much it. If you want storage the enduser has to go buy a hard drive. The devs can't port games cause they have to be able to depend on the extra storage. This brings us to the online part and here nintendo is way behind. Not many wii u gamers even have a headset. It's like online gaming is a afterthought on the wii u. Even finding gamers and setting up matches is work, The os is also very slow ect.

Nintendo just sucks at hardware period. Their software and online is just bad. The only thing nintendo is good at is making games. They don't even pretend to try to keep up with social trends. Did they even look at what the ps3 and 360 did well and steal some ideas??

How does a next gen console ship with on 8GB nintendo. They just don't get it. Even the 32GB system is horrible by modern console standards. This is the history of nintendo they cut corners on hardware and sell 1st party games and fuck the rest. If the system does bad they just drop the price and say look zelda/mario. What is the vision of the wii u for the next 5 years how will they improve the platform??

#43 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Some devs like Bethesda say it's the hardware. But I honestly doubt that's the only reason from them.

Other devs feel that their system has a bottleneck that kills the thing. But I honestly doubt that's the only reason.

What I'm damn sure is the biggest reason is Nintendo's way of business and how they ran it in the "well beloved" NES and SNES era. I am so sick of hearing how SNES was so great because it had great third party support and that's how Nintendo should go, but they are quick to overlook that many developers HATED working with Nintendo in that time due to Nintendo's treatment of them.

#44 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Monolith is owned by Nintendo.

So in other words, sell out? I thought this forum hates it when developers or publishers do that?

#45 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

What a load of horse shit.If they dont start producing new IP's that I want to play then I'll be done with them. I'm tired of Mario games.

#46 Posted by ImDaMan4Realz (94 posts) -

It's not just about gameplay though. A mario game feels like a mario game regardless of how different the games actually are.

#47 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

And that there is the problem. Mario/Zelda/Pokemon are so iconic that any new IP that comes out just doesn't exist because those three blessed/cursed franchises exist.

#48 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26139 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@drekula2 said:

Maybe Mario and Zelda just need to go on holiday for a few years then, allow new IPs to get some attention and their own following, and to build up, then reintroduce Mario and Zelda when the new IPs are properly established.

And just like that, fans lose their minds (do I have to refer to the three "underused/neglected" sci-fi franchises that ARE on holiday, again?).

#49 Posted by Basinboy (10990 posts) -

Nintendo's software isn't poorly received - they're just no longer valued to a degree that warrants buying a sub-par platform to play them on.

But I think there is some substance to your argument, OP. What's needed more isn't a change in scenery (Nintendo does a somewhat decent job of that), but they need a change in the scope of the experience they provide.

#50 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2686 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Monolith is owned by Nintendo.

@no-scope-AK47 said:

So in other words, sell out? I thought this forum hates it when developers or publishers do that?

It's not selling out it is just reality there are huge gaps in the wii u game types. With no 3rd party support games like grand theft and elder scrolls or even final fantasy have to made by nintendo.