Why Night Trap ReVamp (Kickstarter) won't come to Wii U

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27225 posts) -

Source: GoNintendo, Night Trap Kickstarter

"Ever hear the term "never burn bridges?" Well, Howard Lincoln, the former president of Nintendo US, made our lives miserable during the 1994 Senate Hearings on Video Game Violence. Not only did he quietly suggest to congressman, though the use of Nintendo-supplied and heavily edited footage, that they should demonize Night Trap rather than Nintendo's Mortal Combat, but he also declared publicly that Night Trap would never appear on a Nintendo system. And he was right: as much as Nintendo desperately needs publishers to support their third-place platform, we won't be one of them. There's just too much bad blood between us and them."

I think the bigger question is, why the hell is there a Kickstarter for something like Night Trap? It's like making a Kickstarter for a spiritual follow up to Superman 64.

Either way, this proved my point that some devs (although I keep thinking it was Rockstar North, formerly DMADesign) are still sour over what Nintendo did years ago, despite the changes.

Sorry for the second thread in one day, by the way.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (89353 posts) -

Wow, talk about not getting over the past. How could someone hold a grudge for 20 years?

#3 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3922 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Wow, talk about not getting over the past. How could someone hold a grudge for 20 years?

Why not? Has the guy proven himself to be of better character since?

From their perspective, the WiiU might represent a risk and bad blood is'nt exactly good incentive.

#4 Posted by dotWithShoes (4868 posts) -

So no sequel to Superman either? :( this makes me sad.

#5 Posted by bobbetybob (19295 posts) -

Who gives a shit? The game is only well known because of the controversy around it.

#6 Edited by KungfuKitten (21200 posts) -

Taking a tag to give Nintendo 1 bad publicity?
IMO they're just setting themselves up.

#7 Edited by SeriousGaming (48 posts) -

A bad game won't be coming to a bad system. Nothing bad about that.

#8 Posted by smashed_pinata (3280 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

this. I say grow up and forgive.

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (9615 posts) -

Lots of kickstarter scams lately.

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (9615 posts) -

Yep, bullshitty scam.

http://kotaku.com/night-trap-creators-defend-sloppy-kickstarter-sorta-1620307753

#11 Edited by santoron (7792 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Either way, this proved my point that some devs (although I keep thinking it was Rockstar North, formerly DMADesign) are still sour over what Nintendo did years ago, despite the changes.

Oh, absolutely. Though I'd bet the number and magnitude of Nintendo's "changes" in dealing with third parties would be a point of contention.

But most would agree Nintendo largely created the divide between them and the major third party publishers, and in effect marginalized their own platforms' importance to the industry.

#12 Posted by santoron (7792 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

IDK, how long has that Sony grudge of yours been festering?

#13 Posted by trugs26 (5657 posts) -

Douchebag reason. It has been 20 years. You're probably holding grudges about people who don't even work there anymore.

#14 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27225 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

Douchebag reason. It has been 20 years. You're probably holding grudges about people who don't even work there anymore.

These days, Howard Lincoln is heading the Seattle Mariners, who is granted a Nintendo owned team, but outside of Nintendo more or less.

#15 Posted by foxhound_fox (89353 posts) -

@santoron said:

@foxhound_fox said:

IDK, how long has that Sony grudge of yours been festering?

What Sony grudge? I've been playing almost nothing but PC and PS3 as of late.

#16 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17911 posts) -

It costs more to put anything on the the others AND wii U. This is just a good excuse not to put it on Wii U and for them to appear edgy and "cool."

But holding a 20 year old grudge is childish and any good businessmen doesn't put personal stuff before money.

This kickstarter is shady enough this really should confirm they are not to be trusted with anyone's money.

#17 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (8831 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

You should ask EA's founder Trip Hawkins as he never got over Nintendo putting console gaming back on the map

#18 Posted by pelvist (4939 posts) -

I would be extremely surprised if it came to any platform TBH. I actually enjoyed the game on my MegaCD back in the day but I cant see it reaching anywhere near that goal for todays market.

#19 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27225 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@foxhound_fox said:

You should ask EA's founder Trip Hawkins as he never got over Nintendo putting console gaming back on the map

I know he's not with EA anymore, but I seriously hope he's happy that they're not supporting Nintendo.

#20 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8831 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I know he's not with EA anymore, but I seriously hope he's happy that they're not supporting Nintendo.

LOL yeah, ever since he was booted from EA, he had a huge fallout trying to get his dream to come true and never recovered. Now he is on his 6th indie studio company he's found focusing only on mobile gaming which hasn't had the best of luck.

#21 Posted by Aljosa23 (25413 posts) -

LOL Night Trap. ew

Keep your game, I'm good bro.

#22 Edited by Bigboi500 (30295 posts) -

Never heard of it. Sounds like a bad experience in New Orleans.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (58853 posts) -

I am sure all Wii U owners are devastated at not getting the masterpiece of quality gaming that was Night Trap.

#24 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25830 posts) -

Sega does what Nintendon't.

#25 Posted by Heil68 (45691 posts) -

Who would buy non 1st party games on WiiU anyways?

#26 Posted by jg4xchamp (48692 posts) -

Maybe if Nintendo didn't suck this wouldn't be an issue?

Maybe Nintendo's suckage is actually a bonus because they won't get a successor to a shitty game?

Maybe Nintendo should still try working on actively not sucking?

#27 Posted by jg4xchamp (48692 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Because Nintendo's first party is pathetic and underwhelming in comparison to the glorious divine fire of Bayonetta 2.

#28 Posted by Heil68 (45691 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@Heil68 said:

Because Nintendo's first party is pathetic and underwhelming in comparison to the glorious divine fire of Bayonetta 2.

ehhh..overall though? And you know that Bayo 2 will tank for sales, if not just for the small install base or it being a niche game.

#29 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5811 posts) -
@jg4xchamp said:

Maybe if Nintendo didn't suck this wouldn't be an issue?

Maybe Nintendo's suckage is actually a bonus because they won't get a successor to a shitty game?

Maybe Nintendo should still try working on actively not sucking?

What? Nintendo first party is the best lol.

#30 Posted by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

@seriousgaming said:

More like a bad game won't be coming to the only console worth owning...

#31 Posted by Doozie78 (375 posts) -

This was a boring game back when it came out originally. What can they possibly do with this bizarre and lame footage to make the game enjoyable? This will be even stranger today comparing it to all the quality games we have access to and I'm really not sure I understand the point of bringing such a poor quality game back from the dead...maybe this one should stay where it is.

#32 Posted by littlestreakier (2932 posts) -

Had Night Trap on 3DO to see what all the controversy was about. That game was terrible...

#33 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3922 posts) -

I don't believe that you should automatically let a grudge go just because of time, but these guys seem to not only have bad blood between them and Ninty but also all over their Kickstarter.

#34 Posted by DocSanchez (1700 posts) -

Night Trash wont be missed on any system. But let's be fair to the developer the original controversy was pathetic and for Nintendo to try and score points off it instead of standing in solidarity with the developers against some very vocal, stupid people was really wrong. I can understand them harbouring this grudge. I'd be in the same boat. They're just another developer refusing to have anything to do with Nintendo.

#35 Posted by SeriousGaming (48 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@seriousgaming said:

More like a bad game won't be coming to the only console worth owning...

Wii U is only worth owning because of the games, that still doesn't make it a good console.

#36 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11489 posts) -

Honestly, the whole thing sounds like a scam. The Kotaku article that was linked here by another user explains it well.

#37 Edited by Micropixel (929 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Source: GoNintendo, Night Trap Kickstarter

"Ever hear the term "never burn bridges?" Well, Howard Lincoln, the former president of Nintendo US, made our lives miserable during the 1994 Senate Hearings on Video Game Violence. Not only did he quietly suggest to congressman, though the use of Nintendo-supplied and heavily edited footage, that they should demonize Night Trap rather than Nintendo's Mortal Combat, but he also declared publicly that Night Trap would never appear on a Nintendo system. And he was right: as much as Nintendo desperately needs publishers to support their third-place platform, we won't be one of them. There's just too much bad blood between us and them."

I think the bigger question is, why the hell is there a Kickstarter for something like Night Trap? It's like making a Kickstarter for a spiritual follow up to Superman 64.

Sorry for the second thread in one day, by the way.

Actually, this decision may be reversed. They've updated their Kickstarter page which now reads:

"We hope to announce tomorrow that wiiU[sic] owners may indeed be able to acquire copies of Night Trap ReVamped. Stay tuned, and thanks again for your support, comments and questions..."

Can you say, [Wii]U-turn?

Anyway, there's a full article about the new decision at Nintendo Life: Night Trap ReVamped Developer May Flip-Flop on its Wii U Decision

#38 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27225 posts) -

@Micropixel said:

Actually, this decision may be reversed. They've updated their Kickstarter page which now reads:

"We hope to announce tomorrow that wiiU[sic] owners may indeed be able to acquire copies of Night Trap ReVamped. Stay tuned, and thanks again for your support, comments and questions..."

And there's a full article about the new decision at NintendoLife: Night Trap ReVamped Developer May Flip-Flop on its Wii U Decision

Are you freaking kidding me? After all that and this SUDDENLY pops up?

#39 Posted by Micropixel (929 posts) -

Yup!

Developers are funny people, aren't they? ;)

#40 Posted by hiphops_savior (7969 posts) -

@Micropixel: Bad PR covers a multitude of sins.

#41 Posted by BruceBenzing (346 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Never heard of it. Sounds like a bad experience in New Orleans.

A Sega CD game that more or less was capture mutants by watching them and setting off traps. Thwy must be out of ideas to bring t back. What next? Make Your Own Music Video

#42 Posted by ZombeGoast (437 posts) -

Why would anyone wants this? How did this game get funded? Is nostalgia that strong in Kickstarters to bring back a mediocre game?

#43 Posted by locopatho (20418 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

@Micropixel said:

And there's a full article about the new decision at NintendoLife: Night Trap ReVamped Developer May Flip-Flop on its Wii U Decision

Are you freaking kidding me? After all that and this SUDDENLY pops up?

Seems like an excellent way to generate publicity. Piss on Nintendo, the fans and fanboys go crazy, and then announce it's coming. Suddenly a bunch of Nintendo fans who never heard of their game now know it's coming ;)

#44 Posted by AcidTango (638 posts) -

That game was only famous for how bad it was.