Why Mario 3D World is not that good?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Gue1 (9740 posts) -

Ingram:

The game is as lenient as it gets, it is a guided tour throughout the safest theme park ever, it takes you by the hand and sings you a lullaby in case you feel scared of a bush, there's virtually no challenge that can't be overcome by stopping for a second and calculating the next jump, and I'm not talking Castlevania NES level here.

The game makes sure from moment zero that you're aware of the situation at all times, safe, in a fenced cage, a colorful, simplistic and dystopian purgatory of easy platforms, shoving things in your face with no text, in case you don't wanna read about the blandest story yet in a Mario game.

If you die a few times, a white tanooki suit is handed to you so you can blitz through the level being invulnerable, what's next for Mario? tutorials on how to get coins by breaking blocks? Don't even get me started about the stars and collectibles...I have not felt so insulted since the ridiculously easy "puzzles" in Uncharted

You want to know what I consider a proper platformer? : Rayman Origins/Legends is leaps and bounds over NSMBU and SM3DW.

Oh and BTW, NSMBU is a 2 dimensional game, it doesn't have "one dimension", unless of course you're referring to how soulless it is in a poetic way.

This is why modern Nintendo games are so overrated.

#2 Edited by sHaDyCuBe321 (4096 posts) -

Has this person even played the game? Go ahead and play Champion Run, or half of the levels in world Star, Mushroom, and Fire Flower and tell me the game holds your hand.

#4 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

Who is this Ingram and why does he share the name of the ignorant vegan from Scott Pilgrim?

Also...

"If you die a few times, a white tanooki suit is handed to you so you can blitz through the level being invulnerable, what's next for Mario? tutorials on how to get coins by breaking blocks? Don't even get me started about the stars and collectibles...I have not felt so insulted since the ridiculously easy "puzzles" in Uncharted"

Is he even aware that you're still punished by using that suit? From what I understand you get a low rank on your file if you use it too much. Hell, DKCR doesn't even reward you using Super Guide by blocking the collectibles.

#5 Posted by Suppaman100 (3857 posts) -

Knack > Super mario world 3D

#6 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3534 posts) -

K.

#7 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

3d land suffered from the same issues, forcing to player to trudge through half the game before it finally took the player serious. But this type game design is expected when Iwata says Nintendo games are for low-skilled players. Wish they would let veterans skip the "tutorial" levels.

#8 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@Gue1: A game does not always have to be difficult to be fun. In fact, I continue to play the more recent Mario titles for the superior level design, game environments, and impressive musical scores. That said, there is extra content in the more recent Mario games that provide a decent challenge. If you struggle, help is there, but you do not have to take it.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (56816 posts) -

Because it fucking is.

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7396 posts) -

Still better than Xbox One and MIcrosoft's strategy.

#11 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22439 posts) -

You know you're reaching when you're complaining about an optional power up that doesn't even appear unless if you keep dying alot

#12 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

It's being touted as the greatest ever game just because after a year there are no other games on wii u and they really, really, need it to be good. I suspect it's a nice platformer but people will largely make their minds up about it either way before they've even opened the box.

#13 Edited by hiphops_savior (7874 posts) -

Even if I died a lot, I will never touch the white Tanooki. It's optional, and my pride refuses to touch a nuke button.

#14 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

You know you're reaching when you're complaining about an optional power up that doesn't even appear unless if you keep dying alot

And one that still punishes you for using it no less.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (39960 posts) -

You get the option to choose that suit. Even 3D Land had it.

The game is excellent so far. And apparently further worlds get a lot crazier.

#16 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8718 posts) -

Glad I skipped it. Thanks TC.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (56816 posts) -
#18 Posted by jg4xchamp (47844 posts) -

TC hasn't played or touched the game himself.

Plus White suit is optional. Remind me how that's some insulting addition, if you have no real reason to ever hit the accept button? It's literally a moment where you go "hey I suck at this game, and need the game to beat this level for me". That's not the games fault or a bad design choice. That's the player sucking.

Fail to see the drawback.

#19 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8845 posts) -

Apparently this guy hasn't played much of 3D World or modern Nintendo games because they offer more challenge than they ever had before which makes them more challenging than the majority of modern gaming.

#20 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7125 posts) -

I think this guy probably only played through World 1 and called it a day.

#21 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

So you complain about the game being too easy, citing something that appears if you die a ton.

That makes sense.

#22 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

Apparently this guy hasn't played much of 3D World or modern Nintendo games because they offer more challenge than they ever had before which makes them more challenging than the majority of modern gaming.

uhmmmm let's face it.. i think everyone here has played mario and donkey kong... you're joking if you call those challenging. Yes.. rayman is a lot more challenging than mario as it feels more of a trill to beat Rayman over mario. Mario is too easy...... how easy? my GF beat new super mario world worlds 1 - 9 by herself. She also beat donkey kong country returns... most of it by herself ( she forced me to play with her at some point ) but she's not good at games is what i'm getting at, that's why i try to get her into gaming with the Wii because it's easier then i'll move her up PS3/PC games when she get's bored of phone games.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (56816 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

uhmmmm let's face it.. i think everyone here has played mario and donkey kong... you're joking if you call those challenging. Yes.. rayman is a lot more challenging than mario as it feels more of a trill to beat Rayman over mario. Mario is too easy...... how easy? my GF beat new super mario world worlds 1 - 9 by herself. She also beat donkey kong country returns... most of it by herself ( she formed me to play with her at some point ) but she's not good at games is what i'm getting at, that's why i try to get her into gaming with the Wii because it's easier then i'll move her up PS3/PC games when she get's bored of phone games.

If your girlfriend finished Donkey Kong Returns by herself, I think she is pretty damn good at gaming.

A game like Mario certainly requires more skill than games like Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo, and the like, games which practically play themselves, without an optional white suit.

#24 Posted by Blabadon (26136 posts) -

Also, lel at pulling some random site of nowhere Gue.

#25 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17453 posts) -

Can't wait to play this game. I'm gonna have a very merry christmas.

#26 Posted by Lucianu (9384 posts) -

If your girlfriend finished Donkey Kong Returns by herself, I think she is pretty damn good at gaming.

A game like Mario certainly requires more skill than games like Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo, and the like, games which practically play themselves, withoutan optional white suit.

You haven't played Halo on Heroic/Legendary difficulty. :P

That gunplay requires mind crunching skill beyond imagination. I honestly think that playing on these difficulties is exactly how they were designed to be played. Halo:CE for example is boring as shit on any other difficulty. But my God is it an exhilarating challenge on Heroic.

Agree on the rest tho.

#27 Edited by charizard1605 (56816 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@charizard1605 said:

A game like Mario certainly requires more skill than games like Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo, and the like, games which practically play themselves, withoutan optional white suit.

You haven't played Halo on Heroic/Legendary difficulty. :P

That gunplay requires mind crunching skill beyond imagination. I honestly think that playing on these difficulties is exactly how they were designed to be played. Halo:CE for example is boring as shit on any other difficulty. But my God is it an exhilarating challenge on Heroic.

Agree on the rest tho.

I was referring more to modern Halo games :P

But yeah, okay, maybe Halo was misplaced there. Replace it with Gears

#28 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7125 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

uhmmmm let's face it.. i think everyone here has played mario and donkey kong... you're joking if you call those challenging. Yes.. rayman is a lot more challenging than mario as it feels more of a trill to beat Rayman over mario. Mario is too easy...... how easy? my GF beat new super mario world worlds 1 - 9 by herself. She also beat donkey kong country returns... most of it by herself ( she forced me to play with her at some point ) but she's not good at games is what i'm getting at, that's why i try to get her into gaming with the Wii because it's easier then i'll move her up PS3/PC games when she get's bored of phone games.

If she can get through Worlds 1-9 without the white tanooki suit, then she's not as bad at gaming as you are making her out to be. If she is using the white tanooki suit, then yes, she is awful if she can't get through the rest of the game beyond world 9. Can you collect stars with the white tanooki suit? Not having enough stars to get to World 10 could explain why she didn't get further, I guess.

I would be curious to know which games on the PS3/PC you think are harder than SM3D World. I can't think of many, if any.

#29 Edited by Kubidong (12 posts) -
#30 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7396 posts) -
#31 Posted by Kubidong (12 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p: thats interesting, I have beat the any official game on 3DS expect PAPER MARIO, how do you think those game play on the Wii u, any different?

However if MARIO GALAXY can put on Wii u i think i have to buy a Wii u next year.

#32 Posted by GreySeal9 (24188 posts) -

TC hasn't played or touched the game himself.

Plus White suit is optional. Remind me how that's some insulting addition, if you have no real reason to ever hit the accept button? It's literally a moment where you go "hey I suck at this game, and need the game to beat this level for me". That's not the games fault or a bad design choice. That's the player sucking.

Fail to see the drawback.

Gue1 is the king of talking about shit that he knows nothing about.

#33 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I played a good amount of Super Mario 3D world in the last two worlds over Thanksgiving with my two brothers. There were a couple fun levels but for the most part it wasn't that great. The co op was nowhere near as fun as Super mario bros. wii or u. I imagine the game is far better when playing by yourself - the camera is incredibly frustrating when playing with three people.

#34 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

Hey Gue, come back when you've actually played the damn game.

#35 Edited by AznbkdX (3134 posts) -

Honestly I don't think this guy made it past World 1. The game gets way more interesting around World 3 or 4, and gets a bit harder further in post game at least for me. The final final stage is pretty annoying without powerups and Mario.

I think it's ironic that he complains about difficulty when he talks about the white tanooki suit showing up. That means you died too often, which must mean it's challenging you somewhat or you are doing stupid risky stuff like I do at times.

#36 Posted by getyeryayasout (7349 posts) -

It looks so fun. I skipped the Wii but have been getting that Nintendo jones lately. If I get a WiiU I'd pick this game up the first day.

#37 Posted by drummerdave9099 (676 posts) -

Sounds legit

#38 Posted by jg4xchamp (47844 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

uhmmmm let's face it.. i think everyone here has played mario and donkey kong... you're joking if you call those challenging. Yes.. rayman is a lot more challenging than mario as it feels more of a trill to beat Rayman over mario. Mario is too easy...... how easy? my GF beat new super mario world worlds 1 - 9 by herself. She also beat donkey kong country returns... most of it by herself ( she formed me to play with her at some point ) but she's not good at games is what i'm getting at, that's why i try to get her into gaming with the Wii because it's easier then i'll move her up PS3/PC games when she get's bored of phone games.

Halo is a mp, that shit is not jive.

Plus Halo for all its shortcomings has hardly ever been a "cinematic action" game like the other 2, in more recent years it's adopted that annoying "combat puzzle routine".

#39 Posted by charizard1605 (56816 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Joedgabe said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Halo is a mp, that shit is not jive.

Plus Halo for all its shortcomings has hardly ever been a "cinematic action" game like the other 2, in more recent years it's adopted that annoying "combat puzzle routine".

You're right, as I said in a later post, Halo does not belong there. Replace it with Gears. Point still stands.

#40 Posted by Desmonic (13739 posts) -

Dat godly next gen AAAE status though. Besides the WiiU is looking more and more like a GameCube, which means amazing exclusives, despite the obvious lack of multiplats and sales.

X1 & WiiU, PS4 & WiiU, PC & WiiU are definitely the combos to get this gen IMO.

#41 Edited by AtariKidX (6244 posts) -

Just a clone of Mario Galaxy and nothing more.Mario 3D World is a monotonous and boring game.

#42 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12810 posts) -

AAAE deal with it.

#43 Posted by lamprey263 (23476 posts) -

I'd rather play it than Knack.

#44 Posted by chocolate1325 (32490 posts) -

Super Mario 3D Land is one of the 3DS best games 3D World doesn't do to much different but seems to add the fun factor to what some Mario games have missed in the past 2 years.

#45 Edited by AzatiS (7507 posts) -

@Gue1:

Super Mario is good , Wii U is crap .. Theres the problem

#46 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Searched all over the Internet, can't even find TC's source. Googling the OP only leads to this forum and another one.

#47 Posted by Blabadon (26136 posts) -

Searched all over the Internet, can't even find TC's source. Googling the OP only leads to this forum and another one.

Holy shit, get out of here @Gue1

#48 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9640 posts) -

pre-order cancelled

#49 Edited by Glitter (353 posts) -

@Joedgabe:

@Joedgabe said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I believe it can be challenging depending on the situation and what level you are on, especially when it comes to the older Mario video games and I do not believe they were joking. I have never had a chance to own a Mario video game of any kind, but I have had a chance to play some of the older video games of Mario and I do believe that the Mario video games in general can be challenging depending on the situation you are in; I actually got bored from the older Mario video games, so I can never see myself getting better at it; among other reasons that would be difficult for me to explain. I do not believe it is fair to base what your girlfriend can do, as a representation of what others should be able to do. As for Super Mario 3D World, I can see it being easy in some ways, but difficult in other ways.

#50 Posted by Bigboi500 (29571 posts) -

Dat damage control.