Why isn't destiny on pc?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Will it ever come to pc? Or is this another case of devs dismissing pc due to poor sales? Hermits is there a gta5 pc version coming? If not seems like a trend, thank god for Microsoft they wanna keep you relevent with titanfall... Why are blockbuster games like these not on pc? Unreal

#2 Posted by BattleSpectre (5945 posts) -

More money to be made on the consoles I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if a PC version released 6 months to a year later.

#3 Posted by getyeryayasout (6792 posts) -

It's probably too dumbed down and jaggy.

#4 Edited by drekula2 (1872 posts) -

pc has no install base and half of its users wont be able to run it

#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3195 posts) -

It's not hardcore enough.

#6 Posted by silversix_ (13395 posts) -

Because Bungie

#7 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Herms haven't begged and petitioned enough yet? Oh dat PC beggar race. But they are trying.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/release-destiny-on-pc

#8 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5849 posts) -

I don't know but Destiny better do something to impress me more after that weak ass VGX trailer.

#9 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (770 posts) -

Because Blizzard.

They will own the next MMOFPS

#10 Edited by sukraj (21450 posts) -

Because pc cant compete with consoles that's why.

#11 Posted by mulalatum (33 posts) -

Because bungie has no interest of releasing on pc for the moment being.

#12 Posted by EZs (1309 posts) -

@sukraj said:

That's right, not many PC owners runs on 8 core processor. On the other hand PS4 and X1 comes standard with 8 core processor.

#13 Edited by DirkXXVI (487 posts) -

Arrrrr the pirates be a circling the PC waters. In all seriousness my guess is the development cost are already pretty high and Activision is probably way outside it's comfort zone already in what is essentially bankrolling an IP that will be CoD's cash cow successor. Especially since they've been use to extremely low development cost for the yearly CoD releases. The decision makers might see the 360/PS3 as a safe hedge. Another guess is that they might have microtransactions serve as a large part of the game and with modders on PC those are usually less appealing then their console counterparts.

In the end I think it's a poor decision, but it is what it is.

@EZs said:

@sukraj said:

That's right, not many PC owners runs on 8 core processor. On the other hand PS4 and X1 comes standard with 8 core processor.

Not sure if serial but just in case.....if Core count was really that important the AMD 8 core FX chips at 4 ghz would easily outperform the 4 core Intel I5's at 3.4 ghz. Which is not the case. And in this case you're talking about comparing an underpowered tablet CPU that already has some of its cores reserved for the systems OS (so much for low overhead) to a desktop CPU.

#14 Edited by gameofthering (9901 posts) -

I'm not too bothered about it not being released for the PC. It's not the type of game I'd get for any system.

#15 Posted by Heil68 (42443 posts) -

I'm guessing they didn't want to put the resources into it since they are making it for 4 different consoles and the fact that they haven't made a pc game for quite awhile and have made truck loads of cash without it.

#16 Posted by _Matt_ (8733 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I'm guessing they didn't want to put the resources into it since they are making it for 4 different consoles and the fact that they haven't made a pc game for quite awhile and have made truck loads of cash without it.

Probably this.

Also... duuuuude, that avatar man, it's awesome!

#17 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -

Because to developers and publishers, console gamers are the master race of gamers. Ones who spend the premium dollars and breaking sales record. PC gamers are just an after thought. Sorry Hermits.

#18 Posted by Basinboy (10888 posts) -

It comes down to money. You have to imagine Sony and MS are shelling out a pretty sizable amount of money collectively to compensate Activision for timed exclusivity that outweighs the amount they'd get in revenue from a PC port.

If you can't find any other reason, blame the pirates.

#19 Posted by Wasdie (49232 posts) -

First and foremost Bungie is a console developer who knows how to many fantastic games within hardware constraints and a closed environment. They are working in their comfort zone as they probably don't have a group to develop a PC version of the game and do not want to expand their studio to do so yet.

Second is that Microsoft and Sony are probably strongly urging them to keep it on the console for the initial launch. I don't think Sony and Microsoft care that much about the PC market cutting into their sizeable console market, but they are probably pretty heavily invested into the game and want Bungie to spend all of their time making sure the Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, and PS4 versions are the best they possibly can be before spreading into PC development.

#20 Edited by k2theswiss (16575 posts) -

bungie said they would love to be on pc.

With over 500 employees at their side, Just a matter of time.

#21 Posted by NFJSupreme (5007 posts) -

I wouldn't want it on pc anyway. I need a reason to but consoles. I don't want every game on my pc

#22 Edited by MBirdy88 (7016 posts) -

Multiplayer games sell really well on PC.

nobody knows, stupidity probably.

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (7016 posts) -

Because to developers and publishers, console gamers are the master race of gamers. Ones who spend the premium dollars and breaking sales record. PC gamers are just an after thought. Sorry Hermits.

Thats why more people develope for PC? lulz... peasants showing their mongrel brains in action.

#24 Edited by edidili (3446 posts) -

This is really strange. The piracy argument goes out of the window too considering this game is sorta like a MMO, it requires internet connection.

What's the reason for Bungie ignoring it, especially considering this kind of game, FPS combined with MMO, both genres that have long traditions on PC.

#25 Edited by adamosmaki (9335 posts) -

@EZs said:

@sukraj said:

you actually think the cpu's on next gen consoles ( you know those low powered tablet cpus clocked at 1,6ghz ) can match even an old phenom ii ? Let alone core i5 and fx 6xxx and 8xxx series

#26 Posted by MonsieurX (28410 posts) -

Herms haven't begged and petitioned enough yet? Oh dat PC beggar race. But they are trying.

https://www.change.org/petitions/respawn-make-titanfall-available-on-the-ps4

Cows are trying as well :(

#27 Edited by adamosmaki (9335 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@xboxdone74 still not as bad as xbox/sony fans begging for bayonetta 2

http://n4g.com/news/1410952/platinum-games-creative-director-is-fed-up-with-bayonetta-2-port-begging

in the devs own word he is fed up from Sony,MS fans begging

#28 Edited by clyde46 (43232 posts) -

I don't call being bent over and fucked by publishers and devs alike "a master race"... Also, no such thing as "premium" dollars. A dollar spent on a console game is exactly the same as a dollar spent on a PC game.

#29 Edited by TheFadeForever (1614 posts) -

@Wasdie:

They more likely have a deal with Microsoft and Sony to focus on making the game for their consoles so players can have reason to buy Destiny it on their particular platform.

#30 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

lawl 250 sigs.

Self owned...and jelly. :)

#31 Posted by MonsieurX (28410 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@xboxdone74 said:

lawl 250 sigs.

Self owned...and jelly. :)

Sad...and jelly

http://www.change.org/organizations/michael_jordan

http://www.change.org/petitions/ea-respawn-entertainment-release-titanfall-for-ps3-ps4

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/bring-titanfall-to-ps3-and-ps4

http://www.change.org/petitions/electronic-arts-and-respawn-entertainment-to-make-titanfall-for-the-ps4

http://www.change.org/petitions/respawn-entertainment-release-titanfall-on-ps4

#32 Posted by Wasdie (49232 posts) -

@Wasdie:

They more likely have a deal with Microsoft and Sony to focus on making the game for their consoles so players can have reason to buy Destiny it on their particular platform.

Umm that makes no sense. If it was exclusive to one or the other then sure, but not both. The PC is not a threat to consoles like people here believe, the markets are still firmly separate. Bungie hasn't made a PC game in well over a decade and probably does not have the talent on hand to make a PC port work. PC ports take a lot of time if you're coming from a complete closed platform and they probably never even thought of a PC version when they first started the game because they've made the majority of their games on a closed platform.

#33 Posted by Kiro0 (1173 posts) -

I imagine Wasdie has it mostly right. Bungie hasn't actually made a PC port in a very long time and Sony and MS likely want it to sell consoles for now. I don't see why it wouldn't show up on PC eventually, especially as shooters are best on PC, but who knows.

#34 Posted by R4gn4r0k (15847 posts) -

Official reason: Bungie doesn't have enough people to make 5 versions.

But I think that's bogus. Porting it from Xbone or PS4 is even easier than porting PS3 and 360 games to PC. The real reason I think is that Activision makes way more money from console gaming and isn't that motivated to invest in PC gaming.

All I know is that I really would like to play this game but I'm not going to pay to play online, so it's either PS3 version or PC version or no Destiny at all for me.

#35 Posted by lostrib (30820 posts) -

No idea, and don't really care. If it comes to PC, cool. If not, it's not the end of the world

#36 Edited by nini200 (9303 posts) -

Maybe it's just not Destined to be on PC. *smirk*

#37 Posted by Motokid6 (4974 posts) -

Id rather play it on pc, but damn i need A reason to buy a new console. Because thats it.. Destiny is THE only game consoles have to look forward too. There is nothing else worth while coming to these new consoles.. shame really.

The fact that a game developed and tested on PC's cant be released for pc does throw up some red flags for me though.

#38 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

In terms of development they only need to target four platforms. The scalability needed is lessened by quite a bit when you remove PC from the equation, despite how much we act like it is a single platform.

#39 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4319 posts) -

Because PC gamers don´t care about console-oriented multiplayer shooters, and there is just too much competition on PC in this genre so Bungie decided to focus on milking last gen consoles that don´t have games of that type.

/thread

#40 Edited by TheFadeForever (1614 posts) -

@Wasdie:

What I meant was something alongside a partnership with Sony and Microsoft in a way to promote their platforms which isn't anything new since publishers like Activision have worked with them before to provide quality game for their consoles so there focus on giving the best experience without having to compromise their resources. We know right now Sony had some kind of partnership with Activision since the PS4 is getting exclusive content.

Well I don't know all that much about developing games on different platforms or how long they take. I know Bungie has no history in developing games for the PS3 as far as I can tell which was known to be difficult to develop for developers during the early years. Also the ps4 and xbox one have very similar architecture to the PC so they a least have some talents who have experience with PCs.

#41 Edited by Jankarcop (8748 posts) -

@sukraj said:

PC has more gamers, gaming revenue, developers, and aaa/aa video games..... (this gen and last gen..)

#42 Posted by Wasdie (49232 posts) -

@TheFadeForever: The PS4/Xbox One have a similar architect to the PC but there are still many differences that make it difficult for traditionally console-centric developers to successfully port. First you're developing on non standardized hardware with multiple levels of operating systems (32 vs 64 bit, win 7 vs win 8), two graphic card manufacturers each with a large variety of drivers and hardware to interface with, two kinds of processors, a massive variety of CPU, GPU, and RAM combinations, multiple harddrive speeds, and then have to write all of your own network coding for friends lists, game servers, client communication, and whatnot as PSN and XBL doesn't exist on the PC. Furthermore DirectX on the PC sits at a higher level than that on the Xbox One so you can't just directly port.

That's a lot of changes that need to be made and if you don't have the experience talent on hand and start developing that version from the start, it puts a huge strain on the developers to properly support the PC. Bungie does not release unfinished and buggy games, they wouldn't bother doing a PC port unless they could do it right.

So it's really not as easy as it sounds. The Xbox One and PS4 are structured like PCs but there is still a lot of PC specific work you would have to do, especially when it came down to polishing.

#43 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

In terms of development they only need to target four platforms. The scalability needed is lessened by quite a bit when you remove PC from the equation, despite how much we act like it is a single platform.

Bungie's goal is for this game to have a long life. IMO they should have scrapped either the PS3 or 360 version and put that effort on PC. One thing is sure, the PC is much more of a safe future investment than either PS3 or 360 at this point.

#44 Edited by Joedgabe (5087 posts) -

Well bungie hasn't made a PC game in a long while as far as i know.. so they might not be good at porting it or thinking in terms of money that they're fine without it. However if there's enough demand it might come to PC. Look at DS, consolites were always like lawl stop begging, and there it was.... the game came to PC and it's an included platform for the next one. So don't give up hope, it will come if there's enough demand for it.

#45 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#46 Edited by pelvist (4437 posts) -

Because console manufacturers pay for it to not be on PC just like they do with other games that would otherwise outperform the console version. A reason for a PC gamer to get a console is want of something that isnt available on PC, and thats just about the only reason to buy a console anyway if you already own a capable PC.

#47 Edited by clr84651 (5269 posts) -

Because the Dev wasn't interested in making it for PC.

#48 Posted by TheFadeForever (1614 posts) -

@Wasdie:

Didn't Bungie say something about being stretch to thin if they worked on a pc version so the manpower isn't there to make it at the same time as the others?

#49 Posted by Wasdie (49232 posts) -

@TheFadeForever: Something along those lines and it makes sense because of everything I've said in this thread.

PC development is a completely different beast than console development. While it's easier than ever before as the core of the programming is done on x86 machines with a PC like setup, there are still too many differences to make porting an easy job for a high end AAA developer who focuses on quality.

When Destiny hits the PC, and it will, it will be a great version that they spend some serious time on, not just some sloppy port.

#50 Edited by TheFadeForever (1614 posts) -

@Wasdie:

Well they could have ditch making it for the xbox360 and ps3 and the fact that its coming so late next year makes me wonder was it sony and Microsoft doing that made them to decide release the game on last gen as well or Activision.