Why is Uncharted THE darling of video games?

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: IDK, because it's not? If any franchise is, it would be GTA or CoD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
@elpresador-911 said:

@scottpsfan14: the hate for sony is strong in system wars my friend. Lems, sheep, and herms know The PS4 is the gen 8 leader and have to band together to fight of the evil cow army.

Can you elaborate on what PS4 is leading in? Sales? I'm pretty sure more PCs have sold than PS4s this year.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Don't worry TC. System Wars will reassure you that everything Sony is trash and flawed. You're about to feel good in this thread.

No, I've played Uncharted 1 and it was quite fun.

You only played the first one which released in 2007? Did you even complete it? It's incredibly tough to discuss the merits of the game series when the pinnacle of the series was the second one (Uncharted 2). It's also tough to debate about any game series with spectators who haven't completed the games in question (GeoW, Halo, God of War, Starcraft, Mario, Infamous, Zelda, or in this case Uncharted). While it's apparent you are questioning the series with your thread, you haven't done your due diligence in answering the question by completing the games first.

In fact, ND was struggling with the PS3 architecture in the first game so they had to create a game and develop the engine. Which is why arguably by most critics standards (and gamers I know in RL) the first one was the weakest. ND was juggling too many variables. The second one was where they could concentrate and focus on designing Uncharted 2 narrative and gameplay as the Engine was up and running so they tweaked things with the engine as opposed to creating an engine. The second one that got numerous GOTY at various sites and has an incredibly high 96/100 at metacritic. It was also used as a bar by many other developers who were influenced by ND's second game, and it seems that's the game you didn't play. The game was also far more relevant WAY back in 2009.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because it was the PlayStation's big commercial success that played right into people's expectations for cinematic action games.

I'm playing The Last of Us right now, and while it's not the 10/10 game everyone makes it out to be, it's several steps better than the Uncharted games. Naughty Dog needs to focus on making games focused on well-paced stealth sections (they have tense action down and they almost don't even know it), rather than these high-action set-piece games.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Naughty Dog has been going down hill for 13 years now.... but that's just my opinion and I'm not into games that may as well be movies.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

gears of war campaigns are shit compared to uc and most people find gears multiplayer too hardcore but thats the best part about the game

I played UC once on a PS3 kiosk in Best Buy. I demanded to see a manager to complain after playing for 2 minutes.

i call bs!! wouldnt the ps3 set on fire if the lem king is in touching distance

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Haha at the Uncharted haters.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

gears of war campaigns are shit compared to uc and most people find gears multiplayer too hardcore but thats the best part about the game

I played UC once on a PS3 kiosk in Best Buy. I demanded to see a manager to complain after playing for 2 minutes.

I try to alot myself 6 minutes a year on a Sony console. I still have 4:58 left to go this year.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

All I know is that I love the franchise. Yes, the shooting is eh(mostly), and the platforming is clunky. But I like the sense of adventure, story-telling, and set pieces.

And Nathan has dreamy eyes.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

I try to alot myself 6 minutes a year on a Sony console. I still have 4:58 left to go this year.

do cutscenes count? i guess u never made it past that mgs4 intro did u

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

do cutscenes count? i guess u never made it past that mgs4 intro did u

I have a failsafe. I had my head in a noose during that so it automatically stops the timer.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@SolidTy: Well said. I really enjoyed the first Uncharted as well though.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

i don't get it too
to me it was a generic TPS shooter
i enjoyed it tho

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

one of the very few playstation games which is memorable, even then I have no interest.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#65 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

The story, graphics, character and gameplay. And Uncharted franchise is one of the best in gaming.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Graphics and set pieces, I guess, because it certainly isn't its mediocre gameplay. Vanquish, Transformers, and Gears are far and away better tps games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@HaloPimp978

Cutscenes have nothing to do with gaming.... And Tomb Raider can do better, (just not in the stealth department) as for Graphics.... You serious ?

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: So your saying Uncharted doesn't have a good story cause that what it sounds like. And I like Tomb Raider, hell it was my personal GOTY back in 2013 and I played most of them. I never said it was fully about the graphics that's just one of the elements of the game. For me its all about gameplay so I'm certainly not a graphics whore like some people on here.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lulu_Lulu

@HaloPimp978

I'm saying if the game's story can't do better than cutscenes then whats the point ?

As for Gameplay, its ambitious but flawed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Lulu_Lulu

@scottpsfan14

Whats in it for me ?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@inb4uall: nailed it in the first response... And i dont even dislike Uncharted.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The Uncharted series is good but I have always felt that System Wars overhypes these games. And that is understandable considering the Sony leaning audience here.

The games are fun and they look good, but the gameplay is almost on autopilot at times. Press X to parkour is not good gameplay. And I thought we hated QTE's here in System Wars?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#75 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Because... it's fun?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I think going from TLOU to uncharted definitely decreased whatever impact it may have had

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Good characters, good voice work, great graphics, action sequences look and play amazing, hunting for mythical treasure makes me feel like Indiana Jones, Uncharted is straight up fun to play, that is until the 3rd game where they throw waves after waves of unlimited henchmen at you, then the gun play gets extremely boring, still platinum-ed it though.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#79 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

LOL Lems panic everytime there's a tread about Uncharted or TLOU

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

its only the darling with the cows. the first uncharted was considered average right? a lot of cows worship this game

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

Well, the gameplay is alright, the graphics is good and the action looks cool. Not a fan of the series myself, to linear with to few options on how to advance in the game for my taste but I don't hate on the series or it's fans.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Does little good for people to look back on this now to see that Uncharted was just another over-hyped game series. Wasn't horrible by any stretch but not as godly as cows would endlessly regurgitate. Technically they had exceptional production values, as games though they were pretty bland on the gameplay side, and I didn't find the stories particularly engaging. My disappointment in the Uncharted series and everyone with their nose up Naughty Dog's ass really put me off of even trying Last of Us. Maybe I am missing out on something truly great by refusing to play TLOU, I'll probably get around to it, one day, but it hardly worries me considering how meh I thought the Uncharted series was and how godly exceptional everyone made each and every game in the series out to be.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Salt_The_Fries said:

No, I've played Uncharted 1 and it was quite fun.

You only played the first one which released in 2007? Did you even complete it? It's incredibly tough to discuss the merits of the game series when the pinnacle of the series was the second one (Uncharted 2). It's also tough to debate about any game series with spectators who haven't completed the games in question (GeoW, Halo, God of War, Starcraft, Mario, Infamous, Zelda, or in this case Uncharted). While it's apparent you are questioning the series with your thread, you haven't done your due diligence in answering the question by completing the games first.

In fact, ND was struggling with the PS3 architecture in the first game so they had to create a game and develop the engine. Which is why arguably by most critics standards (and gamers I know in RL) the first one was the weakest. ND was juggling too many variables. The second one was where they could concentrate and focus on designing Uncharted 2 narrative and gameplay as the Engine was up and running so they tweaked things with the engine as opposed to creating an engine. The second one that got numerous GOTY at various sites and has an incredibly high 96/100 at metacritic. It was also used as a bar by many other developers who were influenced by ND's second game, and it seems that's the game you didn't play. The game was also far more relevant WAY back in 2009.

@Telekill said:

@SolidTy: Well said. I really enjoyed the first Uncharted as well though.

Considering all that ND had to juggle creating a new engine for an unwieldy new console at the time, then still managing to release the game in a very timely manner, one year after the console launched, in Nov 2007 it was impressive. The 1st game (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) came out surprisingly well at a 88/100 at Metacritic. The original is a great game, but doesn't hold a candle to U2 imo of course.

I have a Platinum in all three games btw, not to brag, but to show that I am posting on a subject I'm well versed with. :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Lulu_Lulu

@scottpsfan14

No Cookie ? :(

anyway:

Bastion - Difficulty System.

LA Noire - Persuasion Method and Narrative.

Dead or Alive - Counterplay and Jiggle Physics :p

Disney Infinity - Me ;)

Portal 2 - Codependent Co-Op Puzzle Solving

Trine 2 - Asymmetrical Co-dependent Co-Op (Shitty Puzzles)

Lara Croft and The Guardian Of Light - Asymmetrical, Codependent Co-Op Puzzle Solving, its also really well designed.

Darksiders, President Evil 5 and 6, Arkham City - Puzzle Bosses (even if its just one)

The Testament Of Sherlock Holmes - Deduction Board

DiRT 3 - Gymkhana... Plus its a very precise game.

Vanquish - Uhm.... Stuff goes Boom.

Remember Me - Memory Remixes, its nice to solve puzzles using Narrative...

I'm sure theres other.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#85 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries:

Well first off, I was a big "Uncharted is an underrated gem" sayer back when the first cam out on this forum. Uncharted 2 was great!! I loved it. 3 was good. As for you comparing Gears reception, I don't get it. I loved Gears, 2 was good, 3 was great, and Judgement was ok-good. But I'll take Gears 1 and 3 over Uncharted 1&2 if I had to choose.

Its Cows dude. I saw @Gue1 post in the happy b'day tormentos thread "Cows against the world", and I know some die hard cows personally and they play this BS big time. They act like the chips, odds, world is against them but they triumph in the face of adversity. No, no. Sony is the Montreal Canadiens, NY Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Boston Celtics, Manchester United, Team Brazil of console makers. They do great stuff, no doubt. But their fanbase is the biggest in the world among the three I bet. Its herd mentality. Easy to just jump on the leader. Its this non sense that cows pull that cracks me up.

(All in fun cows)

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@inb4uall: nailed it in the first response... And i dont even dislike Uncharted.

Yeah he nailed it except he didn't even address what was asked in the OP.. He's talking about industry praise, not fanboys

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

because xbone 900P

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Because clones like Gears of war only got brown/gray colors, boring characters, bad story, bad enemies/monsters...

Uncharted feels like Indiana Jones, just amazing. Something lemz only can dream of...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

because cows are stupid and the game pretty much plays itself.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Don't worry TC. System Wars will reassure you that everything Sony is trash and flawed. You're about to feel good in this thread.

circle jerk incoming. Lems need to feel good too ;)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#92 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

1. Unoriginal (i.e. every Naughty Dog Game).

2. Linear.

3. Cinematic.. i.e. constantly taking control away from the player.

Primarily it is the casual, the hipsters and the young this game impresses. Older, mature gamers who have had interest of the medium for an extensive amount of time recognize the real pioneers.

Loading Video...

Great vid

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

being hyped as the ultimate messiah of gaming

no its not.

And this is coming from somebody who loves Uncharted.

Uncharted was just fresh was pushing epic cinematics like other games werent at the time, and it was also durring a time when games cared more for Multiplayer and DLCs than a story campaing.

Nothing about Uncharted is amazing... it just does alot of great things together and it feels good and it makes you feel good..

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Uncharted? The "Darling" of videogames? ayyy lmao.

You mean the franchise that is currently one for three in terms of good games, a franchise that also constantly gets shit on on here, and that was made irrelevant by The Last of Us anyways?

(and that ONE good game, was only due to fake media hype. Ask cows what they loved about Uncharted so much (in particular, from both a gameplay standpoint, and a story standpoint) without using buzzwords (i.e. "production values" "set pieces" "teh cinematic feel"), back of box bullet-points, or marketing/journalist jargon. You will not get an (honest) answer.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

What makes this franchise still going and still being hyped as the ultimate messiah of gaming whereas games of similar level of entertainment such as Gears of War had hitherto been met with massive scorn later on, or blockbuster artistic games like BioShock series literally died?

What makes the Uncharted series the ultimate darling of video games that gets somehow manages to be completely bulletproof to criticism of the videogaming industry / journalism "industry"? I know only regular gamers are capable of criticising it, the industry won't. And a bonus question: why do you think making another Uncharted would make a difference now - what do you expect from it?

its because it has character and personality. nathan drake is like the lovable, wise cracking, woman laying, treasure stealing alpha male we all wish we were. growing up who didn't want to be Indiana Jones?

Plus the game has a lot of intense high adrenaline moments that make your palms sweat especially when he's climbing high places. It probably is the best all around brand new franchise of last gen.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Lol wut ? the darling of video games? that was a good one.

If any franchise get's a free pass in SW is maybe...i don't know, Punch Out i guess.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

@rekthard said:

i don't get it too

to me it was a generic TPS shooter

i enjoyed it tho

What's this? A game DOESN'T need to "reinvent the wheel" in order to be fun? Ha! Well clearly sir, the cow hype machine has brainwashed you.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Ty, your posts are very informative and I'd gladly switch the topic to music any day and even tell you which artists in my thinking predate Joy Division whereas singularity like the death of Ian Curtis elevated therm to stardom instead, and bands that were no less influential (and even more innovative) couldn't ever match this level of popularity or there are bands whose singer died "too late" and thus the cult couldn't flourish. That being said, I love Joy Division. It's a great band, but I'd argue Public Image Limited and Wire were even more innovative and excelled at greater variety of styles than JD. Wire and JD at one point pretty much overlapped btw.

Anyway the point of my thread is: I didn't know the answer and I didn't pretend I knew it - I just wanted to know and I think there's nothing wrong with me playing only uncharted 1 since we're talking about the reaction of the outside world. Do you have to be able to fly to be an ornithologist?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Ty, your posts are very informative and I'd gladly switch the topic to music any day and even tell you which artists in my thinking predate Joy Division whereas singularity like the death of Ian Curtis elevated therm to stardom instead, and bands that were no less influential (and even more innovative) couldn't ever match this level of popularity or there are bands whose singer died "too late" and thus the cult couldn't flourish. That being said, I love Joy Division. It's a great band, but I'd argue Public Image Limited and Wire were even more innovative and excelled at greater variety of styles than JD. Wire and JD at one point pretty much overlapped btw.

Anyway the point of my thread is: I didn't know the answer and I didn't pretend I knew it - I just wanted to know and I think there's nothing wrong with me playing only uncharted 1 since we're talking about the reaction of the outside world. Do you have to be able to fly to be an ornithologist?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#100 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Does little good for people to look back on this now to see that Uncharted was just another over-hyped game series. Wasn't horrible by any stretch but not as godly as cows would endlessly regurgitate. Technically they had exceptional production values, as games though they were pretty bland on the gameplay side, and I didn't find the stories particularly engaging. My disappointment in the Uncharted series and everyone with their nose up Naughty Dog's ass really put me off of even trying Last of Us. Maybe I am missing out on something truly great by refusing to play TLOU, I'll probably get around to it, one day, but it hardly worries me considering how meh I thought the Uncharted series was and how godly exceptional everyone made each and every game in the series out to be.

Haha I know the way you feel. I played TLOU after finding the UC games overrated and surprise surprise I didn't much enjoy TLOU either. I found the gameplay to be extremely sluggish and clunky and the pacing to be very poor. I now feel put off as well and probably wont buy another ND game again since my ill will towards Naughty Dog and their over-zealous fans will make it damn hard to enjoy anything put out no matter how good it is.