Why is the PSP not worth buying?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 a_ratchet_fan
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts
Yes, yes; I already know a PSP thread is the last thing you want to waste your time reading and replying to. But some of the stuff I read today coming from the oft-times misinformed mouths of sheep made me wonder; are they avoiding purchasing a great handheld system for the wrong reasons? I'm curious to know the reasoning of (some of) the sheep populace, as it somewhat confuses me how the vast majority of the sheep handheld base thinks of the PSP as a joke. I mean, obviously it's a given seeing as I'm on SW, but what do you sheep use to justify your feelings towards it? Why do you dislike it with a burning passion? I will wait until a person makes their case. I will respond as quickly as I can.
ginglejangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ginglejangle
Member since 2007 • 3171 Posts

not enough games.

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts
Can't say I have ever said it wasnt worth buying.. I just personally dont like the performance on the system. The battery life and loading times suck.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
The PSP isn't worth buying right now because the 'Lite' version is just around the corner. It has a simpler UMD loading mechanism, improved battery life, more responsive buttons and a TV out option. There you have it. An honest answer, from a sheep, as to why you shouldn't buy a PSP now.
smack_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 smack_masta
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts
DS /thread. but seriously. i think people like that the ds is easier to use on the go, psp trys to make it more of a console and forget people wanna play fun quick games on the go. ds has those games and if the person does want to play an enganging game they also have that covered.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
Simply because it's quite expensive and complex for a handheld. If i had a use for handheld (I don't really), I would definitely get a DS instead, because it offers something different than home consoles. PSP is essentially a PS2, only with a really small screen and less games...why would I want that?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I hate handhelds in general. Im sorry but i just cant play them. When im outside or on the move i like to play sports and just chill with friends and people and party and stuff.

if im going to game it will be at home, and generally a handheld is the biggest downgrade from consoles. I had the DS and just gave it to my niece because i didnt really want any games for it that much.

same with PSP its a handheld thats trying to be a console on the move. and that just doesnt appeal to me. So for me id say its not worthy buying the most between the PSP and DS.

Uchiha_madara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Uchiha_madara
Member since 2006 • 929 Posts

-most ppl cant effort memory card to play media

-good games are underrated and bads are usualy overrated

-most games are available for other consoles

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

long load times, and crappy battery life are the two major reasons. Also alot of the games aren't really that good "on the go" despite good reviews, since the reviewer is pretty much constantly playing the game often at home or in the office, instead of on the bus, or durring breaks (also true for many DS reviews).

Really the only reason to buy a psp is to mod it, or run illegal homebrew games.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 a_ratchet_fan

Simply because it's quite expensive and complex for a handheld. If i had a use for handheld (I don't really), I would definitely get a DS instead, because it offers something different than home consoles. PSP is essentially a PS2, only with a really small screen and less games...why would I want that?whoisryanmack

Depends on your gaming tastes. For some, innovation in gameplay mechanics is key to a console generation. For others, refinement of familiar mechanics is good enough. The reason the PSP is appealing to me is because I am able to play the games I loved playing on the PS2 in a way that is more convenient for me. It also gives me a chance to play games that I never would have bought on the PS2 because it wasn't worth getting them, such as Katamari. I do have to admit that I regret that decision with a passion, though... it is an amazing, unique experience like no other, other than Loco Roco. On top of that, it does a hell of a lot more than the PS2 did, and again, more conveniently. The PS2's 8 MB was simply not enough to store multi-media, and Sony realized this and fixed the problem. Aside from multi-media, though, the PSP just feels a lot more refined, especially on the little details. For example, I love the fact that instead of having to restart the PS2 I can just press the Home button which will ask if I want to go back to the main hub. Little stuff like that is what levels out the package, and Sony didn't skimp on that aspect.

These are the main reasons I love my PSP, and why it's going to be staying in my pocket for years to come. To be honest... I like my PSP far more than I ever liked my PS2... I even use my PSP more at home than some of my home consoles, such as the Wii. So in conclusion, one might want a PSP because although it is very similar to the PS2 experience, it is also much more refined.

I think I've answered that well enough. On to the next one:

"Not enough games."

I've never really understood this question... How are there not enough games? Are there not enough RPGs? Not enough games you'd want to buy? Specify and I can give you a much more satisfying answer. That goes for the rest of the sheep that ask this as well.

Zeph_Da_Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zeph_Da_Bomb
Member since 2007 • 152 Posts
psp is better, but ds is more casual, psp is for gamers, geeks, and nerds
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whoisryanmack

[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]Simply because it's quite expensive and complex for a handheld. If i had a use for handheld (I don't really), I would definitely get a DS instead, because it offers something different than home consoles. PSP is essentially a PS2, only with a really small screen and less games...why would I want that?a_ratchet_fan

Depends on your gaming tastes. For some, innovation in gameplay mechanics is key to a console generation. For others, refinement of familiar mechanics is good enough. The reason the PSP is appealing to me is because I am able to play the games I loved playing on the PS2 in a way that is more convenient for me. It also gives me a chance to play games that I never would have bought on the PS2 because it wasn't worth getting them, such as Katamari. I do have to admit that I regret that decision with a passion, though... it is an amazing, unique experience like no other, other than Loco Roco. On top of that, it does a hell of a lot more than the PS2 did, and again, more conveniently. The PS2's 8 MB was simply not enough to store multi-media, and Sony realized this and fixed the problem. Aside from multi-media, though, the PSP just feels a lot more refined, especially on the little details. For example, I love the fact that instead of having to restart the PS2 I can just press the Home button which will ask if I want to go back to the main hub. Little stuff like that is what levels out the package, and Sony didn't skimp on that aspect.

The only problem is that I don't particularly want my gaming to be convenient, I would rather it be good. If I can get what PSP does, only with a much larger screen, more games, and surround sound, why bother with a PSP at all? Might as well get a DS that does something entirely different than I can do at home.

As for multimedia, that's a nice feature I guess, but my cell phone and my ipod both play videos and hold mp3's. That functionality is in every handheld device these days, the PSP is actually clunkier to carry than either of those two.

It doesn't bother me if you like it though. Everyone has reasons. I just see more leaning towards it being unnecessary, although a cool little gadget anyway.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 a_ratchet_fan

Uchiha_madara

Okay... I'll answer these quickly, unless I feel they necessitate a longer answer.

a) Excuse me if I'm being a bit high-and-mighty, but... is $20-30 for 1 GB of memory really too much, especially when these "people who can't afford memory" are buying games? Just a thought.

b) I don't understand the point of your point...

c) ... *sigh* I was desperately hoping this wouldn't come up. I've responded to this so many times that I wonder whether I should just copy and paste whenever I find this question...

What do you mean "most" games? Do 5 or 6 games constitute "most"? Cause the last time I heard, the only good PSP games that are on other consoles were Lumines, the 2 GTAs, Tokobot, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Twisted Metal: Head On and... that's about it. If you think this constitutes "most" of the PSP library, you honestly need to do some research.

judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts
[QUOTE="Uchiha_madara"]

a_ratchet_fan

Okay... I'll answer these quickly, unless I feel they necessitate a longer answer.

a) Excuse me if I'm being a bit high-and-mighty, but... is $20-30 for 1 GB of memory really too much, especially when these "people who can't afford memory" are buying games? Just a thought.

b) I don't understand the point of your point...

c) ... *sigh* I was desperately hoping this wouldn't come up. I've responded to this so many times that I wonder whether I should just copy and paste whenever I find this question...

What do you mean "most" games? Do 5 or 6 games constitute "most"? Cause the last time I heard, the only good PSP games that are on other consoles were Lumines, the 2 GTAs, Tokobot, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Twisted Metal: Head On and... that's about it. If you think this constitutes "most" of the PSP library, you honestly need to do some research.

"I am fed up with sony trying to kill the videogame industry." is the funniest part of your sig lol
a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 a_ratchet_fan

The only problem is that I don't particularly want my gaming to be convenient, I would rather it be good. If I can get what PSP does, only with a much larger screen, more games, and surround sound, why bother with a PSP at all? Might as well get a DS that does something entirely different than I can do at home.

As for multimedia, that's a nice feature I guess, but my cell phone and my ipod both play videos and hold mp3's. That functionality is in every handheld device these days, the PSP is actually clunkier to carry than either of those two.

It doesn't bother me if you like it though. Everyone has reasons. I just see more leaning towards it being unnecessary, although a cool little gadget anyway.

whoisryanmack

Because most all of the PSP "versions" of familiar console franchises happen to be better than their console counter-parts. Don't believe me? Look at Syphon Filter: Omega Strain, and compare it to Dark Mirror (PSP). Look at WipeOut Fusion, and compare it to Wipeout Pure (PSP). The PSP versions of these games not only managed to be better than their PS2 brethren, but managed to raise the bar. And these two aren't the only ones; if you do a bit of research, you'll find that this surprising trend is actually quite common. If you want, I could compile a list of games like this for you. Normally I wouldn't do this, but fortunately you don't argue like a 2-year old, unlike some people... it compells me to help people like you who actually state their cases with reason and decency.

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 a_ratchet_fan

judge__judy

"I am fed up with sony trying to kill the videogame industry." is the funniest part of your sig lol

Haha yeah... this err... "special" individual who I'm quoting here made yet another PS3-bashing thread. The only difference was how poorly constructed the argument was... I just had to salvage it. :D

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 a_ratchet_fan

long load times, and crappy battery life are the two major reasons. Also alot of the games aren't really that good "on the go" despite good reviews, since the reviewer is pretty much constantly playing the game often at home or in the office, instead of on the bus, or durring breaks (also true for many DS reviews).

Really the only reason to buy a psp is to mod it, or run illegal homebrew games.

jrhawk42

If a person buys a PSP only to mod it so that they can p***** games, I will come to their house and slap the **** out of their ass. Really... people who do that piss me off; because of their and the other millions of pirates' ignorance, the PSP is eventually going to lose a ton of development support, which is already happening as evidenced by the abysmal sales and the sudden tide of "new DS devs".

As for the whole "non-portable" thing... The main reason you buy a system is to play games you like. I realize that they are handhelds, but I honestly could care less, especially when the experience I'm getting is as good or even better than the one I get on consoles such as the Wii or PS2. (Notice how I'm leaving the PS3 out of this... it's my baby, and I'm sorry PSP but... you can't touch it. :p)

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whoisryanmack
[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

a_ratchet_fan

Because most all of the PSP "versions" of familiar console franchises happen to be better than their console counter-parts. Don't believe me? Look at Syphon Filter: Omega Strain, and compare it to Dark Mirror (PSP). Look at WipeOut Fusion, and compare it to Wipeout Pure (PSP). The PSP versions of these games not only managed to be better than their PS2 brethren, but managed to raise the bar. And these two aren't the only ones; if you do a bit of research, you'll find that this surprising trend is actually quite common. If you want, I could compile a list of games like this for you. Normally I wouldn't do this, but fortunately you don't argue like a 2-year old, unlike some people... it compells me to help people like you who actually state their cases with reason and decency.

No need for the list my good sir, I can believe you on this one. I have seen Dark Mirror myself. It is impressive. I don't have the PSP experience as you do to argue this point anyhow, but I see that it might be possible from that example.

I guess I just argue the overall purpose of the machine as being very ps2-like, and that's what gets me. Even if a few games are better or worse, they're still somewhat the same. My very biggest point against a psp is just that I don't have time to use any handheld at all, especially one I would become engrossed in like a PSP. DS seems more shallow, and I can't even fit that into my day!

a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 a_ratchet_fan
[QUOTE="a_ratchet_fan"][QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]

whoisryanmack

No need for the list my good sir, I can believe you on this one. I have seen Dark Mirror myself. It is impressive. I don't have the PSP experience as you do to argue this point anyhow, but I see that it might be possible from that example.

I guess I just argue the overall purpose of the machine as being very ps2-like, and that's what gets me. Even if a few games are better or worse, they're still somewhat the same. My very biggest point against a psp is just that I don't have time to use any handheld at all, especially one I would become engrossed in like a PSP. DS seems more shallow, and I can't even fit that into my day!

Ahh... now I see what your issue is, and I fully understand. Well, let me part with this: If you're considering a DS, do NOT buy it solely because more of its games have a "touch and go" mentality to them. If you are spending upwards of $100 on anything, you had better make sure that there's something which you really see yourself enjoying. By that, I mean specific titles. If there are more titles that you want on the DS than you do on the PSP, then go for it. However, if it is the reverse, but you are just worried about whether you will have enough time to get much use out of your new handheld, then in my humble opinion that should not stop you from getting it, as if you get a DS based on time-constraints and you find you aren't enjoying it even though you have "more" time to use it, I can guarantee you the grass will look greener on the other side, and you will be wishing that you had just bought the system that best catered to your gaming tastes. I'm not trying to make this a "buy a PSP or else" thread; I'm just trying to dispell some of the more unfounded rumors. Ultimately, it is your choice on what you get.; reccomendations can only help so much.

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

Battery life is a pretty important thing to have when it comes to handhelds. Everything else aside, there's something to be said for having a portable system that can last you 10 hours, vs one that lasts half that time, or even *less* at around 2-3 hours. The Game Gear suffered a similar problem with too short a battery life, one of the main contributing factors to the failure of it to overcome the Game Boy. With something as crazy as http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/06/04/bulky-battery-pack-brings-40-hours-of-fun/ a DS can last up to 40 hours. I have no clue why anyone would want that though, maybe for a camping trip or something.

The other thing is games. The games for a portable system have to be pick up, turn on and play for around 30 minutes. There's little point in creating an "epic," lengthygaming experience on a handheld, since when you're travelling, odds are you have to lift your head up every few minutes to know where you are. This is especially true when it comes to public transport or you'll miss your stop. This also means for lengthy games you need to be able to save on the fly, and be able to shut off the system quick and put it away. To this end there are few PSP games that fall under this catagory.

In the end the PSP seems to hold the reputation of it just being a mini-PS2 which happens to be more expensive and you're stuck playing with a small screen and sub-par controls. That as opposed to a convient handheld.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
I just wish it wasn't that expensive, at least here in Europe. But for a handheld, it's very expensive IMO.
a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 a_ratchet_fan

Battery life is a pretty important thing to have when it comes to handhelds. Everything else aside, there's something to be said for having a portable system that can last you 10 hours, vs one that lasts half that time, or even *less* at around 2-3 hours. The Game Gear suffered a similar problem with too short a battery life, one of the main contributing factors to the failure of it to overcome the Game Boy. With something as crazy as http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/06/04/bulky-battery-pack-brings-40-hours-of-fun/ a DS can last up to 40 hours. I have no clue why anyone would want that though, maybe for a camping trip or something.

The other thing is games. The games for a portable system have to be pick up, turn on and play for around 30 minutes. There's little point in creating an "epic," lengthygaming experience on a handheld, since when you're travelling, odds are you have to lift your head up every few minutes to know where you are. This is especially true when it comes to public transport or you'll miss your stop. This also means for lengthy games you need to be able to save on the fly, and be able to shut off the system quick and put it away. To this end there are few PSP games that fall under this catagory.

In the end the PSP seems to hold the reputation of it just being a mini-PS2 which happens to be more expensive and you're stuck playing with a small screen and sub-par controls. That as opposed to a convient handheld.RahnAetas

A mini-PS2 with a lot of storage space for music, photos and videos :P

I do agree with you, though, about everything except one thing; why do portables *have* to be made for on-the-go play every time? I dunno about you, but I fly often... I can't imagine playing something like WarioWare for more than an hour at maximum. Maybe that's why I love my PSP so much... it's just suited for what I do. But for somebody in the 10-minute-intervals-of-boredom situation, I can see something like WarioWare being perfect. But I'm not in that situation often, and even when I am, there are games that are over with quickly enough, like Killzone: Liberation. But that's mainly because you die a lot so the game forces you to pause from the action. ;)

AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts
I bought the PSP at launch and waited for games, while doing so I thought the DS was stupid because of its early touch games but as time went on and the release of the DS Lite my PSP was still useless and I updated it losing my chance of homebrew(and more money) so I end up selling it for $75 and buy a DS Lite with New Super Mario Bros. and happy since. Sony was to caught up into what the PSP can do with media to even care for games. I cant say much about games now since I sold it but the DS has enough games for me not to care much on the PSP(I still check news on it) and the price is steep to consider re-purchasing.
RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

A mini-PS2 with a lot of storage space for music, photos and videos :P

I do agree with you, though, about everything except one thing; why do portables *have* to be made for on-the-go play every time? I dunno about you, but I fly often... I can't imagine playing something like WarioWare for more than an hour at maximum. Maybe that's why I love my PSP so much... it's just suited for what I do. But for somebody in the 10-minute-intervals-of-boredom situation, I can see something like WarioWare being perfect. But I'm not in that situation often, and even when I am, there are games that are over with quickly enough, like Killzone: Liberation. But that's mainly because you die a lot so the game forces you to pause from the action. ;)

a_ratchet_fan

Most people don't fly on planes every day. Many people however do use public transportation, and many people do end up with 15-60 minute breaks now and then. Main reason why people need simplistic games on a handheld.

Storage space for music, photos, and videos is rather moot point because of the above points of how much spare time you have. Not enough time for videos, music yes (but a lot of people carry MP3 players for that), and few instances in where you'll be showing off your photos (even then, people seem to use their cellphones for that these days). Nice extra features, but the average person out there isn't going to be using those extra features, especially of the point of buying a portable system was to play games on it.

In any case, for the PSP to properly compete with the DS, it needs a longer battery life and more mini-type games.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
It's worth buying if you have any interest in portable console games and media functions. You people really underestimate its library. The games are there. The real question is if you have a use for PSP. If you like to play games and watch videos not sitting in front of a TV its great. If not either screw portables or get a DS if you just want like 5 minutes of something to entertain yourself.