why is that sega genesis/nintendo...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

Is easier on the eyes?...i popped in a psone game the other day and i just couldnt play it. But i was playing all those classic sega and nintendo games on the wii for hours....it was way easier on the eyes and the games was lime 10 year older

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Mostly because you are comparing the pinnacle of 2D games (graphically speaking) with the first generation, proto 3D games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

^

Yep.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Sprites vs. Polygons. If you play a 2D game like SOTN or Galactic Attack, they're still really nice to look at.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Mostly because you are comparing the pinnacle of 2D games (graphically speaking) with the first generation, proto 3D games.

Genesis and Snes are in no way the pinnacle of 2D games.

Some N64 games do just fine. It is more the way the artists use the hardware at hand. A character can be angular and still look great.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Heirren:

Yeah, pinnacle is the wrong word for it, but it was at that point that most 2d games were looking great. On the flip side, most early 3d games were looking a mess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Heirren:

Yeah, pinnacle is the wrong word for it, but it was at that point that most 2d games were looking great. On the flip side, most early 3d games were looking a mess.

Mario 64 has a better aesthetic than games of today. Nintendo has some great artists. I agree generally the 16bit era has better stuff, but there's also a lot of garbage. The bad 2d stuff is just as bad.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Bingo.

sneslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sneslover
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts

Not only are you comparing polished sprite work with early polygon work (it's kinda like Atari 2600 in 3D), earlier consoles have crappier video signals, even when using the same video cables (for example Wii composite > N64 composite). Try using a s-video or scart rgb cable on the PsOne.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

This is the answer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@getyeryayasout:

SNK did amazing work. Nobody talks about them.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#13 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

2D games on the PS1/Saturn still look good today. If anything, the pinnacle of 2D graphics was the Sega Saturn.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Limitations due to the jump is a big factor, but I'd say art style is equally important as well. A lot of the "realistic" games from the fifth and sixth gens looks like ass now.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

2d games age better than 3d.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@Lionheart08 said:

Limitations due to the jump is a big factor, but I'd say art style is equally important as well. A lot of the "realistic" games from the fifth and sixth gens looks like ass now.

Basically, art style trumps realism.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

I always thought that the Sega Genesis was more powerful than the SNES. Both legendary systems though. The pinnacle of gaming :)

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

I get what some of you are saying, but the pinnacle of 2D graphics will always be right now, regardless of the popularity of the style at any given moment.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@Jag85 said:

2D games on the PS1/Saturn still look good today. If anything, the pinnacle of 2D graphics was the Sega Saturn.

with 4 meg ram pack, people who matter know what I mean. Other EXTREME option was Neo Geo.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

@playharderfool: Still have my 4meg cart sitting in a desk drawer. The console bit the dust some time ago, but I continue to hang onto the cart for some reason. Of course XM vs. SF is one of the only discs from my old Saturn stash that I can't get running on my PC. Doh!

Loved my Saturn.. sort of a poor mans Neo Geo for me. And definitely a contender for "pinnacle of 2D graphics".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Thunderdrone said:

I get what some of you are saying, but the pinnacle of 2D graphics will always be right now, regardless of the popularity of the style at any given moment.

I need to play that still. I remember seeing pictures of it and thinking "it is about time people drop the 'retro' look and actually utilize modern hardware." That and Mirumasa are the exceptions though. I still think the best stuff is from the past. The really good stuff had more of a cell-animation look, whereas this still retains some of that "flash look" to it. Still a beautiful game. Comparing it to Street Fighter III?

I tried looking for actual arcade footage but i'm not sure.

Loading Video...

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

What game was that anyway? More often than not it's not about a game looking to much like crap to play, wen in fact it plays to much like crap. Most of the well known 3D games from the 5th generation pushed the consoles to squeeze out every bit of power the developers at the time could muster, which lead to, at the time, unbelievable graphics, but horrid framerates with input lag, which combined with unintuitive control schemes, made these games "age" badly.

I don't have a problem playing with anything from any generation as long as it's a quality title that's responsive and enjoyable for me.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

@sneslover said:

Not only are you comparing polished sprite work with early polygon work (it's kinda like Atari 2600 in 3D), earlier consoles have crappier video signals, even when using the same video cables (for example Wii composite > N64 composite). Try using a s-video or scart rgb cable on the PsOne.

Atari 2600 is easier to look at then Resident Evil or Tomb Raider.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

Yep. Graphics can rely on the tech, so its logical that the most current will be capable of producing the best. As for why the TC had more fun with the older games? Maybe they were more fun to you? Like I have said many times here, fun is the only standard I judge by and it's completely subjective. But once we got 3D worlds it seems some gamers really got hooked on graphics imo. There were always graphics whores but man, it has really become something in the 3D age. I have friends who cant go back and play Deus Ex, Half Life, Soul Reaver, even MGS2 and 3!! Just because the graphics aren't as detailed. I thank God I am not one of these people. Its such a pathetic, "what do ya got next?!!!" type of mentality with no depth or love of the medium imo.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@vtoshkatur said:

I always thought that the Sega Genesis was more powerful than the SNES. Both legendary systems though. The pinnacle of gaming :)

It had a slightly faster CPU but it was inferior to the Snes at literally everything else. That's why games on Genesis tend to have faster gameplay but worse everything else from colors to effects, sprites, etc.

The Sega Master on the other hand was superior to the Nes in every way and form.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@Heirren said:
@Thunderdrone said:

I need to play that still. I remember seeing pictures of it and thinking "it is about time people drop the 'retro' look and actually utilize modern hardware." That and Mirumasa are the exceptions though. I still think the best stuff is from the past. The really good stuff had more of a cell-animation look, whereas this still retains some of that "flash look" to it. Still a beautiful game. Comparing it to Street Fighter III?

I tried looking for actual arcade footage but i'm not sure.

Its impossible to retain the level of detail of Dragon's Crown and still have it be a frame-by-frame hand drawn game. It achieves its animation by meshing traditional frame drawing and art-asset warping, a bit like Flash animation, but not shit.

If you want a recent example of 100% frame-by-frame hand drawn 2D game, Warioland Shake Dimension/Shake it on Wii has that. And its fucking glorious!!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@Thunderdrone said:

Yep. Graphics can rely on the tech, so its logical that the most current will be capable of producing the best. As for why the TC had more fun with the older games? Maybe they were more fun to you? Like I have said many times here, fun is the only standard I judge by and it's completely subjective. But once we got 3D worlds it seems some gamers really got hooked on graphics imo. There were always graphics whores but man, it has really become something in the 3D age. I have friends who cant go back and play Deus Ex, Half Life, Soul Reaver, even MGS2 and 3!! Just because the graphics aren't as detailed. I thank God I am not one of these people. Its such a pathetic, "what do ya got next?!!!" type of mentality with no depth or love of the medium imo.

I cant go back because outside of the graphics there are too many current games to play to bother playing older ones.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vtoshkatur

I also really miss the music from the Sega Genesis era. Such funky jams. Here is one of my favorites.

Loading Video...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Thunderdrone said:

I cant go back because outside of the graphics there are too many current games to play to bother playing older ones.

You know something brother, maybe that's why I never get close to clearing a back list. I love going back and playing old favorites.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vtoshkatur

When it comes to consoles I was always a Sega fanboy (Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo to). My heart broke when they left the hardware market.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Thunderdrone said:

You know something brother, maybe that's why I never get close to clearing a back list. I love going back and playing old favorites.

I'll play gen 7 console games, but thats about it.