Why is Sony so focused on indies?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

As a XB1 owner ive noticed a lot of these indies are being dev'd for PSN and not my platform

I've taken notice and im not liking it

Is sony physically paying them to bring the indie over there first, and then the XBL Parity clause cancels the game out on XBL or whats going on?

i want the games the same as PSN gets them atleast the very least

i notice the indies are dropping on steam first usually then get brought to PSN and some of em either aren't coming to XBL permanently or an additional like 1 year later when they are super old

Is microsoft actively pursuing indies i notice on the PSN store they have "indies" (has its own actual section)

i guess its like a big thing hipsters and stuff love indies and they got those glasses and an annoying beard and a plaid shirt they love indies and stuff and hate mainstream things right?

enough with the fake glasses and the anti mainstream uncaring attitude we want real games indies are basically my side food of appetizers there not real games but i do like them in small doses

so is that stuff coming or what and could we see multiplats like playstation 1 games even make there way over to XBL or just no?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

With over 300 current games and more RETAIL games than X1, they are a well rounded current gen 8 leading gaming machine.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

They're not.

Why are you so focused on creating shitty threads?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Because they are (were) relatively untapped set of talent in the medium that would be absolutely stupid for consoles not to take advantage of. Sony having the easiest developer clauses and best worldwide communication of the three helps a lot.

Also, something needs to keep the Vita alive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Heil68 said:

With over 300 current games and more RETAIL games than X1, they are a well rounded current gen 8 leading gaming machine.

so the indies are just coming to them first to reach more users and its not about anything else?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

They're not.

/thread

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Because a small indie studio today can become a big budget studio tomorrow

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68

@ProtossRushX said:

@Heil68 said:

so the indies are just coming to them first to reach more users and its not about anything else?

not to mention more retail games than X1, you forgot that part.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Because indies are awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Heil68 said:

@ProtossRushX said:

@Heil68 said:

yeah man i agree microsoft needs to turn this crap around as an xb1 owner im not feeling in good hands with all the crap sony keeps getting an SF5 might be final straw they didn't even fight for that game

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because they realized that Microsoft was doing it last gen and wanted to catch up with the times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@foxhound_fox said:

Because they realized that Microsoft was doing it last gen and wanted to catch up with the times.

do you think microsoft will be countering them at all?

stuff like screamride / the forest / whatever weird crap microsoft bought

aren't reallyl what i have in mind vs stuff like rogue legacy and shovel knight and dayz

is microsoft gonna start gettin the good indies or just let sony take the gen by storm?

WE NEED the same power level of indies like

the forest doesn't cancel out shovel knight etc does microsoft know this crap doesnt make up for it?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

@foxhound_fox said:

do you think microsoft will be countering them at all?

stuff like screamride / the forest / whatever weird crap microsoft bought

aren't reallyl what i have in mind vs stuff like rogue legacy and shovel knight and dayz

is microsoft gonna start gettin the good indies or just let sony take the gen by storm?

WE NEED the same power level of indies like

the forest doesn't cancel out shovel knight etc does microsoft know this crap doesnt make up for it?

lrn2paragraph

Then I'll respond.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Well, this is nothing new. When major shows like E3 and PAX have indies chewing up major stage time for Sony, questions should be raised.

I have always said indies are great but they are just not the reason to get hype about. They certainly are a slap in the face when that is all Sony really has to offer its customers.

and @ProtossX what the hell is with the back and forth stance? Yesterday you stated you don't even play your ONE and were strictly PC/PS4. I'm confused with you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

You're the worst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Well, this is nothing new. When major shows like E3 and PAX have indies chewing up major stage time for Sony, questions should be raised.

I have always said indies are great but they are just not the reason to get hype about. They certainly are a slap in the face when that is all Sony really has to offer its customers.

and @ProtossX what the hell is with the back and forth stance? Yesterday you stated you don't even play your ONE and were strictly PC/PS4. I'm confused with you.

sorry about the confusion

I currently own XB1/360/PSP Vita/PSP/DS/PS3/ gaming laptop/desktop

i don't own a ps4 yet i was just complainin about my xb1 i only use it for MCC mainly an the halo betas or whatever

i would love more reason to play my xb1 i was just saying i might be happier with a ps4 cuz they have like bigger selection of stuff

im back an forth hating my xb1 but i also try to defend it from the cows sometimes cuz i get sick of em etc

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

For some reason the saying... something's better than nothing comes to mind. :P

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ProtossRushX: They are probably hoping lightning strikes twice with Journey or Minecraft.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68

@ProtossRushX said:

@Heil68 said:

@ProtossRushX said:

@Heil68 said:

yeah man i agree microsoft needs to turn this crap around as an xb1 owner im not feeling in good hands with all the crap sony keeps getting an SF5 might be final straw they didn't even fight for that game

Nope. I love the current mix of games on both X1 and PS4.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Indie developers don't like MS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@StormyJoe said:

@ProtossRushX: They are probably hoping lightning strikes twice with Journey or Minecraft.

oh yeah i forgot minecraft i guess microsoft did get the best indie of all time, but it sucks that all sony versions already exist

what plans is microsoft gonna do to sabotage minecraft on PSN do you think? or will they just make a minecraft 2 exclusive or something?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Could be that it's just easier/cheaper for the small devs to get their games on PS rather that XB; as for Steam, anyone can get a game on Steam.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

@StormyJoe said:

oh yeah i forgot minecraft i guess microsoft did get the best indie of all time, but it sucks that all sony versions already exist

what plans is microsoft gonna do to sabotage minecraft on PSN do you think? or will they just make a minecraft 2 exclusive or something?

None of those stupid ideas

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Sony poaches Indie developers because these games are waaaaaaay cheaper, compared to proper game development

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

They just love them indies they do

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Sony poaches Indie developers because these games are waaaaaaay cheaper, compared to proper game development

Proper game development meaning spending half of your money on marketing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Because Sony doesn't leave games on the table due to a pigheaded clause. Nothing wrong with that. I would rather have Broforce and InFamous instead of just one.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Because indies are awesome.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

They're not.

@lostrib said:

You're the worst

What these two said. You're terrible at thread creation and paragraph structure.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Personally i love indies. I have alot of ones in Steam. So why not !! Some of my best last gen gaming experiences came from indies. For example : Plants Vs Zombies , Bastion and many more

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

@FastRobby said:

Proper game development meaning spending half of your money on marketing?

Not to mention more than 1000 people that work on a game and need to get paid, like for gta 5.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Both, Sony and MS, are very focused on indies this gen, which is good!

Considering massive devs like AE and Ubisoft are releasing the same game year after year, indies are the reason there's still hope to this industry.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Because AAA titles take a long time to develop and be released. Securing indie games means a constant trickle of new games to play. Between 1st party and 3rd party games there aren't enough to really fill a console's library. With indie games you can pad out the library in the off season as indie games don't really follow the market trends when launching.

It's a smart idea to bolster the library. It gives PS4 owners a ton more inexpensive games to play. Indie games also bring with them new IPs and Sony can analyze their popularity on the PC to determine if the IP and the studio that created it are worth investing in and securing for future games. These games are also much more quirky, great for short gameplay sessions, and often far more innovative than the major devs put out so it gives a lot of much needed diversity to the library.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

@StormyJoe said:

I could see them not making MineCraft 2 available for Playstation platforms. I would assume they will leave the first one alone.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

As a XB1 owner ive noticed a lot of these indies are being dev'd for PSN and not my platform

I've taken notice and im not liking it

Is sony physically paying them to bring the indie over there first, and then the XBL Parity clause cancels the game out on XBL or whats going on?

i want the games the same as PSN gets them atleast the very least

i notice the indies are dropping on steam first usually then get brought to PSN and some of em either aren't coming to XBL permanently or an additional like 1 year later when they are super old

Is microsoft actively pursuing indies i notice on the PSN store they have "indies" (has its own actual section)

i guess its like a big thing hipsters and stuff love indies and they got those glasses and an annoying beard and a plaid shirt they love indies and stuff and hate mainstream things right?

enough with the fake glasses and the anti mainstream uncaring attitude we want real games indies are basically my side food of appetizers there not real games but i do like them in small doses

so is that stuff coming or what and could we see multiplats like playstation 1 games even make there way over to XBL or just no?

i think you guys should complain to xb1 with their parity clause

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

In a way, I think this is Sony's way of getting in bed with a lot of untapped talent that they went overlooked on last generation. More and more, throughout Gen7 and into Gen8, Sony got snubbed by big-name publishers that they were able to count on for exclusive games in the past. When Square-Enix and Capcom outright turned tail on them, they were in a position of weakness.

Now, the climate for big publishers is to go all-in on multiplatform development with their established franchises and even turning to PC. In relativity to that, the indie developers are essentially untapped from the standpoint of establishing relationships and establishing new IP. The indie support you are seeing from Sony is more of an indication of the sign of the times than anything else. Vying with Microsoft over exclusivity deals has a lot of long-term pitfalls if you look at them as a permanent player despite their commercial problems with the current system.

The most important thing to remember is that once upon a time, these games that are looked at as "indie" would have been full-fledged developer/publisher making software not but 15 years ago. The talent is there, the opportunity for hit IP is there, the quality can be there and the only thing missing is big publisher level financial backing... Which as a platform maker like Sony can only assume, makes it a ripe environment for letting a new generation of winners and losers form and take shape for later this generation and into generations to follow.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Sony made their policies for indie games pretty relaxed.

Indie devs started flocking. They are just taking advantage of the press now.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

I think they are trying to differentiate themselves.

Now there are more multiplats than ever and they are all pretty much going to the PC, even the so called "console exclusives", there are only going to be about 3 or so full retail exclusives a year, so they need as much as they can to add appeal.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Because they don't know if the next indie game could become another minecraft and they want to be there when it happens.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@Heil68 said:

leading in what ?

Graphics ? Nope

Amount of games ? Nope

Coverage of genres ? Nope

Most gamers ? Nope

Most consoles sold ? Good for Sony, I guess

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Heil68 said:

leading in what ?

Graphics ? Nope

Amount of games ? Nope

Most gamers ? Nope

Sales, Retail games and games overall available for current gen 8 consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Heil68 said:

leading in what ?

Graphics ? Nope

Amount of games ? Nope

Most gamers ? Nope

PS4 is currently the leading Netflix player for 2015

friends all showing netflix awaits

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

They're focused on good Indy games....And even then they're not really focused on them....just trying to have more games for ppl to play.

Nothing wrong with that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Sony aspires to be pc; Microsoft wants to turn PC into Xbox.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

400 bux in a console to play a game that looks like something I played in the 80´s ....and I even have to pay for it ? ----> no thanks !

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

No Man's Sky is the Juggernaut Indie that the lemmings will be missing out on.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Wtf is this part of your post?

It's like pure poop in form of text.

Yes Sony has invested huge amounts of money on small games ever since Braid.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Heil68 said:

leading in what ?

Graphics ? Nope

Amount of games ? Nope

Most gamers ? Nope

Sales, Retail games and games overall available for current gen 8 consoles.

Hmmm. I see you are limiting it now to consoles.

Fine. But I don't see how most consoles sold and most games sold benefits anyone except Sony.