Why is Skyrim on PS3 so bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by -Unreal- (24567 posts) -

I've played a lot of the PC version of Skyrim, probably 100-150 hours without finishing the main questline. I decided to rent it on PS3 just for the trophies and got it through my door this afternoon and I've just started it up. I noticed the game looks absolutely horrible in comparison to the PC version. I knew it wouldn't look good in comparison, but it looks horrendous. Even with the terribly low resolution , the framerate chugs along at 10-15 fps.

Is there any way to fix this? I already have it patched to 2.04. It's almost unplayable. I can't imagine playing a class that needs to aim at things.

#2 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
That is what you get for being a Trophy whore.
#3 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Still beats playing WoW.

#4 Posted by Lucianu (9644 posts) -

rolllaugh.gifI forgot the console version of Skyrim even existed. Damn, it probably looks like sh*t anyway.

#5 Posted by Fossil- (351 posts) -
It's not your PS3. Skyrim is just bad in general.
#6 Posted by PAL360 (27383 posts) -

Lack of memory, i believe. Thats why the most hardware demanders are usually PC >>> 360 > PS3.

#7 Posted by ghostofzabis (2601 posts) -

But it got 9 even for ps3 version! :o

#8 Posted by PAL360 (27383 posts) -

But it got 9 even for ps3 version! :o

ghostofzabis

Cowspot confirmed :o

#9 Posted by Tikeio (5332 posts) -

Performance-wise, I never got any "super lag" and I've had the game since day one. Although, I haven't put a crazy amount of hours into the game either, like some people.

As for the visuals..... I mean, you did come from the PC version. So that about sums it up. :3

#10 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

It's usually a bad idea to play the console version after playing the PC version.

I did the same thing with dragon age origins...it was a train wreck on console...

#11 Posted by dvalo9 (1290 posts) -
The ps3 port is over exaggerated by lems. I don't have it, I have the 360 version (see sig) but I played it and it runs no differently
#12 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

On PC right of the bat you're runnign the game at 60 FPS. You are probably runnign at 1080p. You are probably using if not modded textures, then at least the free ones Bethesda patched into the game. You are probably runnign with maxed settings in game. You are probably running with Anti-aliasing and VSync and AF on/set to high.

Those things make HUGE differences on how the game looks and how responsive it feels. On top of that you might be runnign mods than enhance the graphics/effects/level design/textures/animations/sounds/weapons/armor, etc, etc etc ANd oyu might even have some advanced stuff like SSAO being forced from your graphics driver.

Going from that to a console version of the game is like living ina mansion, and then staying at a hobo hotel under a bridge somewhere.

Sure the hobos don't mind too much. But you'll notice every little thing that isn't up to your normal standards.

And all for some silly trophies, for shame!

#13 Posted by Cowboyssuck (36 posts) -
It runs fine but it tends to look like crap. Also, the game is just...bad in general.
#14 Posted by BibiMaghoo (4019 posts) -

I noticed the game looks absolutely horrible in comparison to the PC version.

-Unreal-

CAPTAINOBVIOUS.png

#15 Posted by -Unreal- (24567 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

I noticed the game looks absolutely horrible in comparison to the PC version.

BibiMaghoo

CAPTAINOBVIOUS.png

"I knew it wouldn't look good in comparison, but it looks horrendous." l2r.
#16 Posted by -Unreal- (24567 posts) -

Still beats playing WoW.

waltefmoney
How do you know when you've barely played it?
#17 Posted by -Unreal- (24567 posts) -
That is what you get for being a Trophy whore.SaltyMeatballs
Me being a trophy whore isn't going to change how the game looks or runs on PS3.
#18 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
It's all about perspective. I just got the platinum for the game. I have about 120 something hours. Yes the frame rate would drop. But please don't give this "it's almost unplayble" bullsh*t.
#19 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Still beats playing WoW.

-Unreal-

How do you know when you've barely played it?

How do you know when you've barely been at my house?

#20 Posted by Heil68 (48394 posts) -
It's bad on 360 too, compared to PC.
#21 Posted by sts106mat (20630 posts) -
It's bad on 360 too, compared to PC. Heil68
but you got 95% of the 360 version achievements though dude lol. I am looking forward to dawnguard coming, not decided which faction i'll go with, but i'll probably be the good guy (like always).
#22 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
because the ps3 cant handle its mediocrity so it chooses to play it half-as$ed
#23 Posted by sts106mat (20630 posts) -
because the ps3 cant handle its mediocrity so it chooses to play it half-as$edcampzor
lol, laugh at the mediocre character in your sig. skyrim is awesome.
#24 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

I have it on ps3 and it's fine, either your copy is flawed or your eyesight is dmamaged. I mainly just notice a more hazy and grayish color in the ps3 version, apart from that they look about the same. As far as framerate, well that's expected sonsidering it's a console.

I have more than 200 hours on my save file, no fps drops whatsoever. (though it's not a decent framerate either, it's usually around 25-30 fps which is terrible).

#25 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

rolllaugh.gifI forgot the console version of Skyrim even existed. Damn, it probably looks like sh*t anyway.

Lucianu
It doesn't :|
#26 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

I have it on ps3 and it's fine, either your copy is flawed or your eyesight is dmamaged. I mainly just notice a more hazy and grayish color in the ps3 version, apart from that they look about the same. As far as framerate, well that's expected sonsidering it's a console.

I have more than 200 hours on my save file, no fps drops whatsoever. (though it's not a decent framerate either, it's usually around 25-30 fps which is terrible).

parkurtommo

Uhm what?

The Ps3 and the PC version "look about the same"?

I think you are the one in need of an eye exam.

Well, if you REALLy thought that, you'd be in need of an eye exam. But we all know you're just being a fanboy...

#27 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -
Sound about right Skyrim looks and runs crappy
#28 Posted by mems_1224 (48993 posts) -
crappy port for a crappy system
#29 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

Kinthalis

Uhm what?

Well, if you REALLy thought that, you'd be in need of an eye exam. But we all know you're just being a fanboy...

No I'm not, The only differences are those that are always present in pc games, AA, higher resolution, better framerate, ect. But at it's heart it is exactly the same. And I know, because I've played both.
#30 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -
That is what you get for being a Trophy whore.SaltyMeatballs
lol.
#31 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

parkurtommo

Uhm what?

No I'm not, The only differences are those that are always present in pc games, AA, higher resolution, better framerate, ect. But at it's heart it is exactly the same. And I know, because I've played both.

How do the things you mention = "about the same"?

A game with AA + AF + higher resolution + longer view distances + better textures + MUCH less pop in + 60 FPS + higher quality grpahics settings (shadows drawn at a distancem, self-shadowing, specular lighting to the distance, denser vegetation, SSAO, characters/animals/monster drawn at a much alrger distance, higher tree/building/character LOD levels)

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

And that's before we get into mods.

#32 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Uhm what?

Kinthalis

A game with AA + AF + higher resolution + longer view distances + better textures + MUCH less pop in + 60 FPS

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

It does to me... Of course I prefer the Pc version but calling the ps3 version crap is completely uncalled for. (because it isn't crap...)
#33 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4155 posts) -
Several developers said that the hardest part of porting their games was the difference in RAM architecture... and only ports of games that were RAM heavy were the bad ports. Skyrim is one of them.
#34 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

I've played a lot of the PC version of Skyrim, probably 100-150 hours without finishing the main questline. I decided to rent it on PS3 just for the trophies and got it through my door this afternoon and I've just started it up. I noticed the game looks absolutely horrible in comparison to the PC version. I knew it wouldn't look good in comparison, but it looks horrendous. Even with the terribly low resolution , the framerate chugs along at 10-15 fps.

Is there any way to fix this? I already have it patched to 2.04. It's almost unplayable. I can't imagine playing a class that needs to aim at things.

-Unreal-

You can easilly fix it by getting a xbox 360 where the game looks stunning and plays smooth as butter

Why would you ever play a multiplatform game on PS3 ? That is like trying to go back to PS1 era

#35 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] No I'm not, The only differences are those that are always present in pc games, AA, higher resolution, better framerate, ect. But at it's heart it is exactly the same. And I know, because I've played both.parkurtommo

A game with AA + AF + higher resolution + longer view distances + better textures + MUCH less pop in + 60 FPS

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

It does to me... Of course I prefer the Pc version but calling the ps3 version crap is completely uncalled for. (because it isn't crap...)

When did I call it crap?

I called it considerbaly inferior. And personally, I wouldn't suffer through the jaggie, screen tearing, blurry, 15 FPS mess that si the consoel version.

But to each their own.

#36 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

loosingENDS

You can easilly fix it by getting a xbox 360 where the game looks stunning and plays smooth as butter

Why would you ever play a multiplatform game on PS3 ? That is like trying to go back to PS1 era

omg lol
#37 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

It does to me... Of course I prefer the Pc version but calling the ps3 version crap is completely uncalled for. (because it isn't crap...)parkurtommo

It is unplayable and you can barely see anything from the huge blur

That is not called crap, crap is a very generous and mild word for Skyrim on PS3

I bet the blinded PS3 fans think it is amazing, but that is only because they are used to extremely low standards for games

#38 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

Kinthalis

When did I call it crap?

I called it considerbaly inferior. And personally, I wouldn't suffer through the jaggie, screen tearing, blurry, 15 FPS mess that si the consoel version.

But to each their own.

Not you, the op. Or... someone.
#39 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

On another note, my little brother bought GTA4 for 360. It looks horrible compared to the pc version, runs worse, has way less cars, way less view distance. Just awful compared to the pc version.

#40 Posted by Miketheman83 (3156 posts) -
The PS3 can't handle RPGS.
#41 Posted by Heil68 (48394 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"]It's bad on 360 too, compared to PC. sts106mat
but you got 95% of the 360 version achievements though dude lol. I am looking forward to dawnguard coming, not decided which faction i'll go with, but i'll probably be the good guy (like always).

Who cares? That doesn't mean the 360 version is close to the PC version, does it? Nope.
#42 Posted by Deevoshun (861 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] No I'm not, The only differences are those that are always present in pc games, AA, higher resolution, better framerate, ect. But at it's heart it is exactly the same. And I know, because I've played both.parkurtommo

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

To me the difference is huge, I have two copies of Skyrim for my consoles at home 1 PS3 1 360 (Christmas for kids). Although the gameplay is the same (before mods), the game looks like an entirely different beast on PC. To say it's not much of a difference is a real sign you havent played it on a proper machine.

I guess I wouldn't call it crap for consoles, but I would call it poop. Either way, still sh7t

#43 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

I played it a couple times it was so buggy and slow so I took it back for the 360 version which was better than I just decided to get to the PC version which is the ultimate version with all those mods.

#44 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28560 posts) -

Uhm what?

Kinthalis

A game with AA + AF + higher resolution + longer view distances + better textures + MUCH less pop in + 60 FPS + higher quality grpahics settings (shadows drawn at a distancem, self-shadowing, specular lighting to the distance, denser vegetation, SSAO, characters/animals/monster drawn at a much alrger distance, higher tree/building/character LOD levels)

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

And that's before we get into mods.

whats funny is that in no way at all did you prove him wrong that the games are different beyond graphics. then you mention mods which I always laugh at hermits when they pull that argument out it basically amounts to I buy games to wait for users to make mods that possibly wont work and often increase the requirements of the game beyond what my rig is capable so I have to then turn the graphical settings down thus negating the whole concept of look at the 1000+ rig I built or purchased that I'll have to upgrade in a year or so to get it to play the latest games are their highest settings.
#45 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

They had a patch that fixed the issue, I think you might be making this up. There have been no reports of lag or any other major issue since they released that update. But to answer your question, it was because Bethesda is a bad developer. On paper, they sound good, open world, dragons, customization ect...but when you get down to the basic mechanics you see how bad Bethesda actually is at developing games.

Take away the open world aspect and imagine if Skyrim was just a level by level FPS game set in a fantasy setting. What you are left with is bad and clunky combat, dumb AI, and all other things that would never get OK'd by a more talented dev team. Thankfully the open world makes up for this, and the 360 had it's own issues to, just people don't want to admit it.

I don't know what to tell you, Skyrim is fine for me and 99% of PS3 players since the update. I'm going to platinum the game very soon, I just got the skull of corruption last night. Yes I killed the priest but I had to, the voice told me to. Sounds crazy but it's true lol :P

All I can say is do the update again, or your lying.

#46 Posted by parkurtommo (28070 posts) -

DOES NOT EQUAL

"About the same thing".

Deevoshun

To me the difference is huge, I have two copies of Skyrim for my consoles at home 1 PS3 1 360 (Christmas for kids). Although the gameplay is the same (before mods), the game looks like an entirely different beast on PC. To say it's not much of a difference is a real sign you havent played it on a proper machine.

I guess I wouldn't call it crap for consoles, but I would call it poop. Either way, still sh7t

Well, I played it on my rig, max settings with at least 50-60 fps :|
#47 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="Deevoshun"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] It does to me... Of course I prefer the Pc version but calling the ps3 version crap is completely uncalled for. (because it isn't crap...)parkurtommo

Well, I played it on my rig, max settings with at least 50-60 fps :|

For the people talking out of their ass...

Here is a an accurate comparison of ALL versions of Skyrim. It is after the PS3 patch as well.

Elders Scroll's Skyrim - Xbox 360, Ps3 & PC HD Comparison

No noticable difference between the console versions. The PC version does admittedly look a bit better.

Anyone saying otherwise is just being a fanboy and trying to justify their purchase.

#48 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6218 posts) -

Played all 3 versions, they look about the same.

Kinthalas and Losing Ends are just fanboys from different spectrums.

"OMG THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!"

Yeah no it doesn't, stfu fanboy.

#49 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (19082 posts) -
Hmmm shoulda played it on xbox.
#50 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Played all 3 versions, they look about the same.

Kinthalas and Losing Ends are just fanboys from different spectrums.

"OMG THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!"

Yeah no it doesn't, stfu fanboy.

ZombieKiller7

They act like that because they are insecure about their system, they regret buying it and putting so much time into it, and rather then admit it to themselves they try to find a reason to justify it. It's known as buyers remorse or in psychological terms, post purchase rationalization.

Either that, or they are just bad trolls.

Post-purchase rationalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buyer's remorse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia