Why is MS so shy about releasing XBone total number?

#1 Posted by -Damien- (5114 posts) -

Where is Major Nelson? He usually has the biggest mouth in the industry

Why are they all so quiet? No XBone total number, no Titanfall sale number, remember that game? The most overhyped, most over-advertised game in the universe? ....now suddenly we've heard nothing....hmmm

#2 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Bad press. Basic PR. You'll get some other fancy numbers instead like 100K faces scanned into Kinect Sports Rivals and the infamous 'Xbox*'.

#3 Posted by iloveatlus (247 posts) -

Why don't you just wait for NPD? It's being release today.

#4 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

Because they pale in comparison to Sony. They would rather announce numbers that put them in favor, hence the term "Xbox family".

#5 Posted by sts106mat (18759 posts) -

Major nelson probably in bed asleep at the moment. he's usually on twitter when he is awake.

almost certainly will release info today or with the quarterly report, whenever that is due.

#6 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

Because they pale in comparison to Sony. They would rather announce numbers that put them in favor, hence the term "Xbox family".

Hmm I wonder who started that ... Oh yeah, Sony when they failed last gen LOL

#7 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25428 posts) -

Because they're humble, no one likes a pompous braggart.

#8 Edited by lglz1337 (3022 posts) -

because sony was shy 1 gen back

remember you only brag about numbers when they are good

hypocrites even outside SW better believe

#9 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -
#10 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Also, TC, MN is just a mouthpiece for the PR shpiel. He's only quiet now because Microsoft don't have the upper hand like they did last generation, and believe me, they let everyone and their mother know about that. Remember major nelson's blog posts with all the shiny graphs and hardware smack talking? Yeah, it's quite refreshing to see him tight lipped.

#11 Posted by tormentos (16497 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Why are they all so quiet? No XBone total number, no Titanfall sale number, remember that game? The most overhyped, most over-advertised game in the universe? ....now suddenly we've heard nothing....hmmm

Because saying we are behind after 8 years of NPD bragging is hard..lol

@RR360DD said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Excuse me who started it.?

Are you sure it wasn't on the PS2 gen where sales didn't matter because the PS2 was destroying everything.?

#12 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27212 posts) -

Maybe you can pointers to the answer from Sony and them hiding PS3 numbers?

#13 Posted by Netret0120 (1902 posts) -

They know they are being destroyed in sales.

#14 Posted by Heil68 (42670 posts) -

They dont want to admit that the PS4 is selling better.

#15 Edited by StormyJoe (4577 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

IDK. Why did Sony group PS3 and PS2 sales together?

And, most media outlets are reporting that TitanFall, and XB1, are selling well.

Don't be a troll.

#16 Edited by -Damien- (5114 posts) -

will I get total WW number in NPD today? because that's what I'm asking

#17 Edited by clr84651 (5283 posts) -

This. And Xbox One numbers will be behind the PS4s. MS would be rushing to announce numbers if they were winning, so they could brag and state they were going to outsell the PS4 this gen like they did with 360 and then the 360 didn't outsell it. Sony could be 15 million ahead with a year to go and they wouldn't make that statement. The sales numbers speak for themselves and there's no need to be saying lame things like MS did.

#18 Posted by FastRobby (788 posts) -

I think they are waiting for the 5 million mark, they are probably around 4.5-4.8 at the moment. And also because you don't want to say that you are behind, today figures will be released by NPD, and you'll probably see Microsoft releasing different figures that are more related to the games. Like the "3 million kills on DR3" kind of figures, always try to spin things in a good way.

#19 Posted by clone01 (24163 posts) -
#20 Edited by Gue1 (9147 posts) -

because M$ are behind by more than 3 millions.

#21 Posted by finalstar2007 (24875 posts) -

why would they show something so abysmal? the biggest braggers in the industry not bragging about numbers must mean the numbers are so terrible its better not say anything.

isnt that obvious?

#22 Edited by Vatusus (4229 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@-Damien- said:

And, most media outlets are reporting that TitanFall, and XB1, are selling well.

No one doubted Titanfall would sell well. The real question though is, how well?

Cause after the tremendous amount of hype and advertising, if it hasnt sold 2 million by now in all platforms, It can be called a flop. Wanna bet MS and EA will use total Titanfall numbers i.e. X1, X360, PC and hide the X1 only numbers? Yes, it was a tactic used by others sony included, but is used for a reason

#23 Edited by cainetao11 (15872 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Did you play the game? Or is your opinion just dislike because its not on PS? Why wont MS say anything? Because they are being destroyed in sales. When you aren't faring well in something with someone else do you just walk around "hi everyone! Getting my ass kicked!! Hi!!". Your whole OP isn't even a real question its a fanboy YAAAAYYY!!! thread. All good for Sony, they are the world wide favorite and they adjusted fire accordingly after the PS3.

#24 Posted by Vatusus (4229 posts) -

Because they're humble, no one likes a pompous braggart.

Sure, thats why they kept it quiet when the X1 outsold the PS4 in its 1st month in US, or when the X1 was "Black Friday king", or basically when the 360 was NPD 1s for pretty much the entirety of last gen

#25 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -

Probably shy to show since the PS4 is burying them

#26 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -
#27 Edited by cainetao11 (15872 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

Because saying we are behind after 8 years of NPD bragging is hard..lol

@RR360DD said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Excuse me who started it.?

Are you sure it wasn't on the PS2 gen where sales didn't matter because the PS2 was destroying everything.?

No, I'm going to need proof. I don't remember Sony using the "PlayStation family" during the PS2 era. PS3 era? yes.

#28 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

Their earnings report is next week...

#29 Posted by -Damien- (5114 posts) -

c'mon Microsoft don't be shy.....let's hear it from the big mouth major nelson...

#30 Posted by mems_1224 (45769 posts) -

Why does it matter? Everyone knows they're behind and they gain nothing from it.

#31 Edited by withe1982 (450 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if MS had managed to scrape a win in that last month at least due to the enforced price drop and free AAA title. Overall though I predict: PS4: 7m units sold XBox-One: 5.2m units sold.

#32 Posted by lostrib (31652 posts) -

why do you continue to make terrible threads?

#33 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

It's bad business practice. You don't disclose you're selling less than your competitor until as late as possible. Sony has done it, Nintendo has done it, and now MSFT is doing it.

#34 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3206 posts) -

Because it's (probably) shit.

#35 Posted by kitty (114314 posts) -

Don't understand why you are so worried about a number/s. I don't see how this helps you in any way. :P

#36 Posted by musicalmac (22663 posts) -

So is the OP's question rhetorical then? I came in to make sure it was and have been left wanting.

#37 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1004 posts) -

It definitely sold 5 million units by now, while being out in half as much countries as the PS4. The xbox one is a huge success. Ofcoarse the PS4 sold more, its out in twice as much countries, is $100 cheaper, and released a week earlier.

#38 Posted by shawn30 (4295 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic: Pretty much, lol. MS is behind and will no doubt release numbers today. My guess is they win March NPD and announce they are 4+ million in sales.

#39 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

sony used to not release numbers OO on top of that they love combining all of their plantations for sale numbers

Even then unless you got stock numbers don't mean shit

#40 Edited by StormyJoe (4577 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

c'mon Microsoft don't be shy.....let's hear it from the big mouth major nelson...

Your hatred of Microsoft is both comical and disturbing.

#41 Edited by jsmoke03 (12494 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

sony and ms failed last gen

edit: totally forgot to put my 2 cents in. even if npd numbers release, ms doesnt have to say global lifetime sales. if they won march on npd.they should just plaster that all over the internet and hide their global numbers if they are behind. i dont know why they are doing this because im expecting xbone to destroy ps4 in sales in march.

#43 Edited by Suppaman100 (3590 posts) -

Nobody cares about Xbox outside of 'Merica.