Why is Final Fantasy IX so Underrated?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation/final-fantasy-ix

It's actually the highest rated final fantasy game of all time, yet it's always hidden in the shadows.

It's like people cant appreciate a master piece anymore.

#2 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3577 posts) -

Blades of Time, now that's an underrated masterpiece.

#3 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Blades of Time, now that's an underrated masterpiece.

That game made me cry in several different languages :(

#4 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

It aged pretty well too, i went back last year and beat Ozma for the first time, and i was using Freya/Amarant/Quina just because i hadn't used them before. VIII aged pretty well too.

#5 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

I liked it, especially the music. Wasn't as emo and 2deep4me as FFVII though.

#6 Edited by MonsieurX (30268 posts) -

The card game was fun too

#7 Edited by lundy86_4 (43438 posts) -

Just grabbed it on my Vita. Need to start a game.

#8 Posted by jimkabrhel (15419 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

The card game was fun too

Not nearly as good as Triple Triad from FF8.

#9 Posted by OmitName (721 posts) -

i was always terrible at the card thing. as soon as i thought i had it figured, the computer pulled some jootsoos and i lost all my good cards. i suppose it never made overt sense to me, or i was always too frustrated by it to pay much attention, either way, im fairly confident the game cheats.

#10 Posted by AzatiS (7613 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

It's actually the highest rated final fantasy game of all time, yet it's always hidden in the shadows.

Why you think is underated ?! Was and is an excellent FF game and one of my personal favorites along with 3/5/7

#11 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

How can something be underrated if it has something like a 94 on Metacritic?

FF9 was good, but it had its flaws. FF6 aged way better and had much stronger pacing in both combat and story.

#12 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

@1PMrFister said:

How can something be underrated if it has something like a 94 on Metacritic?

FF9 was good, but it had its flaws. FF6 aged way better and had much stronger pacing in both combat and story.

Final Fantasy 9 has a better art style, Better OST and better characters

#13 Posted by Tessellation (8803 posts) -

that POS is overrated

#14 Posted by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

@Tessellation said:

that POS is overrated

Go back to your basement, you cellar dwelling virgin cow *Cool Face Emote*

#15 Posted by Couth_ (10128 posts) -

>Why is FFIX so underrated

>It's the highest rated FF game

Do you even know who you are anymore OP?

#16 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (822 posts) -

The reason why it's so overlooked by fans is because it concentrates on various characters and doesn't have that depressing emo vibe that characters like Cloud and Squall have. Zidane is nothing like the previous 2 and neither are Vivi, Steiner, Quina, Freya, Beatrix, etc. Pro FFVII-VIII fans also didn't like the style that FFIX had and thought Zidane looked like a monkey with a big head. I personally have FFIX high on my list of favorites and favor it the most along with FFIV, V, & VI.

#17 Posted by madsnakehhh (14411 posts) -

I think most people see it as a nice game, a great game even, but is far from being the favorite for many people, usually you see people claiming that their favorite FF is VII, VI, IV, X and even VIII instead of IX, so i don't think is that underrated since people seem to enjoyed it a lot is just that the game well, is good but that's about it.

#18 Posted by blamix99 (1964 posts) -

FF 6-10 and 12 is 10/10 for me

#19 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17408 posts) -

It is FAR from underrated. I hear way too many people say it is the best FF game.

It is a PHENOMENAL game and is easily one of the best FF games, but I definitely put 7 above it and maybe even 8 and 10.

Still love that game to death though! Really would love to go back and replay it.

#20 Posted by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

@madsnakehhh said:

I think most people see it as a nice game, a great game even, but is far from being the favorite for many people, usually you see people claiming that their favorite FF is VII, VI, IV, X and even VIII instead of IX, so i don't think is that underrated since people seem to enjoyed it a lot is just that the game well, is good but that's about it.

it's often the combat. A lot of people didn't like the combat on FF9. I loved it, it felt mostly balanced until late game. But people do love them flashy characters and skills. Like that Neo Behemot on FF7 that was like 5 minute animation for a 1 hit 9999.

#21 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2691 posts) -

Only ff game i haven't played.I always say i will but i never get around to it.(have it on vita)

I guess i just really dislike the furry artstyle.

#22 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5420 posts) -

I remember it being underrated for years, but these days people don't shut up about it. Which is cool, its a really good game!

I think the reason it was somewhat overlooked at the time or release was because the PS2 was here and FFX was right around the corner. Just poor timing. Also, a lot of people that started with FFs VII and VIII just weren't digging the old school aesthetic.

#23 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5420 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

Only ff game i haven't played.I always say i will but i never get around to it.(have it on vita)

I guess i just really dislike the furry artstyle.

Yeah some of the character art sucks, but looks aside, they're better characters than what you get in most FF games.

Its definitely worth a play. My only real gripe is how slow the battle system is, but its a minor blemish on an otherwise great game... of course there is some other dumb stuff, but the kind of dumb that's acceptable for games in this series.

#24 Posted by ArisShadows (22634 posts) -

Its underrated?

#25 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

I think the OP needs to look up the definition of underrated.

Also having that craptacular piece of garbage FF 8 next to it making it look good helped.

#26 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -

is it really? I loved FFIX and couldn't stand VII or VIII.

#27 Edited by 35cent (912 posts) -

Underrated? I thought it was amazing. It's my 2nd favourite Final Fantasy game behind FF VII.

#28 Edited by Articuno76 (18823 posts) -

If anything I think it is the least divisive game in the series other than 4 (which is like a safe by-the-numbers FF). Most people love it or simply like it, but you will rarely seen people who treat it as if it raped their sister.

The reason people don't talk about it (I think) is because it doesn't attract much criticism so there are not over-raters or under-raters out there to argue over it.

#29 Edited by MBirdy88 (8240 posts) -

Maybe... just MAYBE critics are ... you know... a minority of peoples views on games, and that no matter how much you bitch and cry, FF7 is by far the most popular in the franchise. followed by FF11 and FF14 .. (which get totally ignored by alot of you so called "fans" despite them being squares biggest games.)

FF9 was great, I can't fault it other than its character art style... not a huge fan.

also how is ff9 underated when every so called "FF TRUE FAN" loves it and likes to bash FF7/8 for being "teh emo" (as seen above.).

if anything FF9 is that damn hipster one in the franchise where people think they are "better" because they "think" they have found that "great niche" when your not, your a group of well known faggots that make this claim.

#30 Posted by Szminsky (1433 posts) -

I couldn't stand it. MASSIVE dissappointment for me, after FF8

#31 Edited by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

lol ff9 underrated.

#32 Posted by DefconRave (608 posts) -

My fav FF, many people were turned off by the chibi character design but I though it was a nice tribute to the early FFs.

Story was great, Zidane wasn't a whiny brat like Tidus/Vaaaaaan (vomit), last FF to retain the overworld/free travel .The soundtrack by uematsu is freaking amazing too.

#33 Edited by da_illest101 (7485 posts) -

I love the game, but it didn't age too well for me. Atfer I refinished FF7 two years ago, I went on to replay FF9 ( FF8 wouldn't work past the communication tower for some reason) ,but the combat was simply just too slow that it made stop playing after the forest. I was surprised since I finished the game twice and didn't remember the combat to be that slow.

#34 Posted by glez13 (8833 posts) -

The only FF's I really liked are 6,7,8,12. If anything IX is overrated from my POV.

#35 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Because it's generic and boring and plays it safe instead of making a confusing nonsense mess with changes that people argue about so almost everyone gave it a high score. Because it was just a generic game done well.

#36 Edited by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Maybe... just MAYBE critics are ... you know... a minority of peoples views on games, and that no matter how much you bitch and cry, FF7 is by far the most popular in the franchise. followed by FF11 and FF14 .. (which get totally ignored by alot of you so called "fans" despite them being squares biggest games.)

FF9 was great, I can't fault it other than its character art style... not a huge fan.

also how is ff9 underated when every so called "FF TRUE FAN" loves it and likes to bash FF7/8 for being "teh emo" (as seen above.).

if anything FF9 is that damn hipster one in the franchise where people think they are "better" because they "think" they have found that "great niche" when your not, your a group of well known faggots that make this claim.

you're completely wrong on that note. People love FF9 mostly because the story is really good vs the other FF games. Even FF6 story was pretty damn mediocre. ( Really? a mage pushed godly rocks out of place while everyone else having 2 seasoned warriors for combat. A war captain that know's bushido and a karate student ready to become the master stood there hearing the mage say these rocks absorb magical power FYI he can't do shit if you just pretty much push him off the hill or slash him in two nope they didn't do shit and that was the master plot climax of the game wtf? along with all the other stupidity that happened before that point it's quite dumb how anyone would praise the plop on 6. The game itself because of the combat and extras was fun. But the story was pretty damn mediocre. People just love it because he "destroyed" the world.)

well FF7's story was good also but FF in general has kinda shit story.

#37 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5420 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@MBirdy88 said:

you're completely wrong on that note. People love FF9 mostly because the story is really good vs the other FF games. Even FF6 story was pretty damn mediocre. ( Really? a mage pushed godly rocks out of place while everyone else having 2 seasoned warriors for combat. A war captain that know's bushido and a karate student ready to become the master stood there hearing the mage say these rocks absorb magical power FYI he can't do shit if you just pretty much push him off the hill or slash him in two nope they didn't do shit and that was the master plot climax of the game wtf? along with all the other stupidity that happened before that point it's quite dumb how anyone would praise the plop on 6. The game itself because of the combat and extras was fun. But the story was pretty damn mediocre. People just love it because he "destroyed" the world.)

Haha, dont go down that route son! I can boil every FF game down to a pile of nonsense just as easily. And FFIX with a lot of that stuff towards the end can get pretty damn lulzy.

#38 Edited by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Joedgabe said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Haha, dont go down that route son! I can boil every FF game down to a pile of nonsense just as easily. And FFIX with a lot of that stuff towards the end can get pretty damn lulzy.

I think what FF 6 did personally is worse than the bad guy telling the good guys their whole plot and how to stop him/her. Except in FF6's case the good guys weren't even trapped in some scheme meaning to destroy them. They was just standing there listening like if they didn't even exist. I doubt there's any possible plot let down in any FF game worse than that.

#39 Posted by MBirdy88 (8240 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@MBirdy88 said:

I don't get your point, you are playing a preference card. FF9's story wasn't anything above any other... if it was so great then why did they not expand on it like they did with FF7, or FF10?

reality strikes....

#40 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

It's not underrated, overlooked would be a better way of saying it.

It's a really damn solid FF game and my favourite out of all of them but it's a really safe answer when talking about FF games. It's not as polarising as some of the others so it's not really a talking point. people generally agree it was great.

People like talking more about the risky FF games like VIII which had some of the worst FF characters or FFX which was great but marred in areas by shitty dialogue and it was the first to have spoken characters so it's a talking point. Or they mention VII which had the death of a very central character (not a fucking spoiler anymore) which was also a huge talking point.

FFIX is just a damn good time. It has issues like all of them have but they don't detract enough to make it any less fantastic

#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Sweenix said:

Because it's generic and boring and plays it safe instead of making a confusing nonsense mess with changes that people argue about so almost everyone gave it a high score. Because it was just a generic game done well.

Every single time you quote a link it goes to a proxy, every other user can quote links and they go to the proper place but every single time you quote one it goes to some proxy site.

Why is that?

#42 Edited by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Joedgabe said:

@MBirdy88 said:

I don't get your point, you are playing a preference card. FF9's story wasn't anything above any other... if it was so great then why did they not expand on it like they did with FF7, or FF10?

reality strikes....

Because the game wasn't as popular ? It doesn't mean people like FF 9 just to take a jab at 7 or 10. People like FF9 mostly because of it's story. And yes vs FF story line FF9 is very likely the best so far. Your comment doesn't really make much sense either because going by "a story being good then you expand on it" explain all the Kingdom Hearts expansions then? You're not going to tell me the Kingdom Hearts story line is that deep are you?

#43 Edited by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

What made it just be ok for me was the story and the characters. The story is awkward and most of the characters just isn't likable and lack any depth to their personality. The pieces just don't seem to connect well with each other. The characters don't act affected by their past or present with little to no character development.

#44 Edited by MBirdy88 (8240 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Joedgabe said:

@MBirdy88 said:

reality strikes....

Because the game wasn't as popular ? It doesn't mean people like FF 9 just to take a jab at 7 or 10. People like FF9 mostly because of it's story. And yes vs FF story line FF9 is very likely the best so far. Your comment doesn't really make much sense either because going by "a story being good then you expand on it" explain all the Kingdom Hearts expansions then? You're not going to tell me the Kingdom Hearts story line is that deep are you?

no... which story you prefer is a PREFERENCE not a fact. simple as that. it wasn't the most popular because overall it had little impact for its time. there IS a amassive following of the game... and the FF9 fans are so vocal it IS borderline annoying hipster crap.

#45 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14098 posts) -

I've actually never played this despite hearing so much good about it.

#46 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26506 posts) -

its underrated?I see people bring it up all the time as their personal favorite.I thought it was a good game.

#47 Edited by Jag85 (4490 posts) -

How is it "underrated"? I've seen countless people naming FFIX as their favourite PS1 era FF game, or even their favourite in the whole series. I rarely see people hating on that game.

Now the FF that came before it, FFVIII, that is definitely an underrated game. That gets hated on all the time.

#48 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

How is FFIX underrated? A lot of people say that it is the best FF game, and it scored the best critically. It also sold well, as I recall.

It may be overlooked due to the monolithic stature of games like IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, etc, but it is by no means underrated.

#49 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17408 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

How is it "underrated"? I've seen countless people naming FFIX as their favourite PS1 era FF game, or even their favourite in the whole series. I rarely see people hating on that game.

Now the FF that came before it, FFVIII, that is definitely an underrated game. That gets hated on all the time.

This.

I also say 10 is extremely underrated by the fanbase. It gets so much hate, yet it has BY FAR the best leveling system I have seen in a RPG and the story was at least something different from the usual FF formula.

I actually liked the story in spite of not liking every character, and I do feel Tidus is hated on a bit too much.

#50 Posted by Joedgabe (5112 posts) -

@MBirdy88: Only hipster thing here i see in a thread meant for i suppose the Fans of FF9 would be ehmmm well... you ~